• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

goldenpp72

I own fire emblem physically, if i buy this physically, is it confirmed i'll get the 30 dollar promo? How is the 30 dollar promo distributed, by a code, or something else?

Omg died twice, accidently used play coins once and I tried to save and accidently loaded my last save. Lost 12 play coins over nothing. This games hard as shit

Teknoman

I own fire emblem physically, if i buy this physically, is it confirmed i'll get the 30 dollar promo? How is the 30 dollar promo distributed, by a code, or something else?

100% confirmed. Its by a code.

EDIT: I have a death tab now -_- Its not much, but still. I wonder if you have to fight Charon if you dont pay? You unlock play coin payment once you finish the training area? Also what is streetpass used for?

Vark

I own both physically and got the code. Once you register both games and do the registration survey it'll say you've earned the promo. From there you have to go into your Club Nintendo 'todo' list and there's and entry for claiming your $30 credit.

Once you 'order' it they pop up a code to redeem in the eshop that you have to type in in the 'add funds' section of your 3ds.

Because heaven forbid they just add $30 worth of credit to your account :p

goldenpp72

I own both physically and got the code. Once you register both games and do the registration survey it'll say you've earned the promo. From there you have to go into your Club Nintendo 'todo' list and there's and entry for claiming your $30 credit.

Once you 'order' it they pop up a code to redeem in the eshop that you have to type in in the 'add funds' section of your 3ds.

Because heaven forbid they just add $30 worth of credit to your account :p

Could the code be redeemed by a different account? Basically, if I don't need the credit could I let someone else use it, or must it be used by the same account? Also, does the credit expire if I do just redeem it on my own account, I don't need it right now but could in the future.

100% confirmed. Its by a code.

EDIT: I have a death tab now -_- Its not much, but still. I wonder if you have to fight Charon if you dont pay? You unlock play coin payment once you finish the training area? Also what is streetpass used for?

If you die again while you have a tab with Charon, it's an instant game over.

Omg died twice, accidently used play coins once and I tried to save and accidently loaded my last save. Lost 12 play coins over nothing. This games hard as shit

This happened to me too. It sucked. 12 play coins down the drain.

Keyouta

Just snoop around
the second level of Naraku, it's colored differently than the other mobs walking around.

Go down the stairs on the first stratum and then turn left and enter the door on the second stratum.

How long should it take to appear? I'm fighting normal mobs over and over.

Edit:Nvm, I had to accept the darn quest. I thought since the main quest was to complete all three, they would all be accepted. The first two challenges I didn't have to accept.

How long should it take to appear? I'm fighting normal mobs over and over.

It should just be there. It's a red monster silhouette instead of a blue one, and it shouldn't be moving when you find it. It'll just stand there until you engage it directly.

Like Dresden said though, it won't appear until you accept the quest in the menu.

How did you guys fare against
Alurane
and bonus boss
Ares?

I absolutely THRASHED
Alraune
. Agi spells decimated her.

As for
Ares
, he's actually not as hard as you might think. As long as you have enough HP and some good physical attackers, you can beat him down fairly easily with physical specials.

I absolutely THRASHED
Alraune
. Agi spells decimated her.

As for
Ares
, he's actually not as hard as you might think. As long as you have enough HP and some good physical attackers, you can beat him down fairly easily with physical specials.

I found him to actually be quite easy. He didn't even finish off anyone on my team!

ii9AbVDXcoluy.png

Here you go!

Thank you so much!!!

How did you guys fare against
Alurane
and bonus boss
Ares?

Alurane
was really easy. I had Agi on my MC and one of my demons so it went down really fast.

Ares
killed me my first time since I didn't really know what to expect and wasn't really prepared. I did fine my second time, I just debuffed his defense and kept attacking until it was over.

I just got to the dungeon past them and the setting is awesome. I need to recruit some demons since I just went on a fusing spree. Pixie doesn't wanna join me...

LProtag

I'm probably going to mess up the skills I have because I can't deal with the order they're in right now.

Bufu
Zio
Zan
Media
Agi

I can't deal with this heal spell in the middle of my attack spells. Is anyone else like this?

Jumped in, and I gotta say, I adore this game. The games difficulty marks that sweet spot of slightly easier than Nocturne, but tougher than Persona. Honestly I think that with this kind of save system, it'd be a lot easier for Persona folks like myself to get through Nocturne or even Strange Journey. Well, maybe not Strange Journey.

I would focus on AGI personally. The press turn system is meant to be exploited.
Missing means losing two turns. But the same is also goes for enemies; if they miss you they lose their turns.

The main reason I'm so happy to have the press turn system is that I finally feel like using Sukukaja/nda again.

I'm probably going to mess up the skills I have because I can't deal with the order they're in right now.

Bufu
Zio
Zan
Media
Agi

I can't deal with this heal spell in the middle of my attack spells. Is anyone else like this?

Yes yes I had this OCD thing going on too! Whenever I fused new demons I HAD to sort their skills in Fire/Ice/Elec/Force/Hama/Mudo/Almighty/Heal order, but there's no way to easily rearrange Flynn's skills, as far as I'm aware the only way is to forget and relearn them.

Lucent

Omg that porcupine bastard...

I gave him like 76 macca, let him take off most of my hp and then a life stone. He was like "Wow I got a buncha stuff! Can I use the bathroom first?" I said "do it here" and he was like "No! I'd die of embarassment! Humans crap themselves when they die right? Let's find out!" and killed my guy due to low HP after sacrificing it to him. These conversations man. =/

Kenai

Maybe a silly question, but are both STR and MAG based MCs good options for later? I'd be sad if a boss totally shut him down.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe a silly question, but are both STR and MAG based MCs good options for later? I'd be sad if a boss totally shut him down.

Typically it would be a much better idea to focus on a specific build and then let your pokemons cover your deficiency instead of trying to become a jack of all trade.

Soulhouf

My impressions after 3 hours.

Let's begin with what I don't like. At the moment the story/atmosphere is unsettling. I don't like it so far but it's too early I guess.
The missions/quests of Strange Journey are back. Oh god, why Atlus? Why? This is an abomination that must be eradicated.
I hate the tutorials and the game is tutorial heavy so far, it holds your hands too much IMO.
These happen to be the same complains I had with Strange Journey as well but seeing how it ended up being an amazing game, I will pass until I get further into the game. But still, this is lame.

The best thing I saw so far is the UI. It's fantastic: slick and very clear. It's so perfect and best part is that Atlus finally put back the possibility to advance the text with the D-pad.
Regarding the demons, it seems they have been buffed. I already saw some lv2 demons with more than 100 HP. It's also a big melting pot already, with new ones who are not bad so far. The roster is promising, I already encountered more than 15 different demons in the first dungeon alone.

Combats are super fast, which is very nice and the press turn is back. With that said the battles are not random any more and I don't like it. You can be attacked while you don't move. The game seems to be well balanced so far but it's not really difficult. I didn't die at all. I don't understand why I can't select hard difficulty from the beginning, which is a shame. I hope the game gets harder later on :D
The game is very permissive, no more game over when the MC dies, WTF? I guess I've died once if it wasn't the case.

Regarding skills and fusions, I prefer not giving my impressions because it's still too early but I find it became a big mess. No more restriction whatsoever, you can choose whatever you want. However I like how the MC learns skills through demons. It's a very good idea.
Seeing the amount of points I'm getting when I level up and how the MC can use magic, I'm going for jack of all trades by increasing every stat.
I love the music so far, the battle theme and the various compositions and old themes are spectacular.

Anyway, there are many things I don't really like but I was expecting that.
The game is nevertheless very promising.

Eusis

So no respec for the MC? I'm going for DEX, AGI, LU wonder if that was a good idea...
I'm pretty sure that regardless of whether you want to focus on physical or magic you really should invest heavily in one of the two if nothing else. Right now I'm trying to be a bit balanced, largely because I have no idea how the end game will go in that regard.

Kenai

Typically it would be a much better idea to focus on a specific build and then let your pokemons cover your deficiency instead of trying to become a jack of all trade.

Yea, I was more wondering if a PHYS based character would get shut down endgame. I know most games let you play both, but in Devil Survivor (for example) I had serious trouble with a physical build late game and was hoping this wouldn't be the same with an unlucky build choice. I was considering trying MAG this time anyway to see how they did the new spell effects, but was just wondering really.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yea, I was more wondering if a PHYS based character would get shut down endgame. I know most games let you play both, but in Devil Survivor (for example) I had serious trouble with a physical build late game and was hoping this wouldn't be the same with an unlucky build choice. I was considering trying MAG this time anyway to see how they did the new spell effects, but was just wondering really.

Well, for whatever its worth it seems like, from the places I have scoured anyways, people tend to say that this game favors MAG based build more than Physical, especially with DLC content considered. Some even say that Japanese folks who have played this game tend to treat Physical based demons as mere "ingredients", which to me basically say that MAG is more favored end-game than physical.

But I dunno, maybe that's just general talk.

Aeana

I'm personally withholding my general opinions until I get further in. Well, to a specific point, really. Stuff I wish I hadn't accidentally read about. (._. )

I just beat
Alraune
. Want to play more, but it's super late.

Some even say that Japanese folks who have played this game tend to treat Physical based demons as mere "ingredients", which to me basically say that MAG is more favored end-game than physical.

But I dunno, maybe that's just general talk.
the Pierce skill is still there, right? that skill alone change the normally unusable Phys demon back to become heavy hitter it once was

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
the Pierce skill is still there, right? that skill alone change the normally unusable Phys demon back to become heavy hitter it once was

From what info I can gather actually now spells can have the piercing variety, but no Pierce for Physical skill exist.

So chalk that one up to MAG even more, I guess.

I'm having a lot of fun. Made it to
Tokyo
, played around there for a bit, and called it a day. So far, I will say that the difficulty is hitting me harder than I'd expected it would- in a good way, of course. Mostly. I'm definitely feeling more comfortable with the systems now, and I seem to be dying a little less because of it. Here's hoping I'll be able to keep it up.

One complaint I have is this: I'm finding the fusion interface a little confusing. The enhanced search is very cool, but the whole thing has been taking a little while to get used to. I've also accidentally fused things a couple times, Mido doesn't seem to ask for confirmation when you hit 'A'. I think I'll get used to it though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Aw fuck it, despite all the info I can gather I decided I am gonna go with Phys based character after all.

If I gonna cry later then let the tears flow!

Dresden

The
minotaur
battle was really difficult until Jonathan joined in instead of Walter. No more
agi triggering a null and making the boss smirk made it a breeze.

Aw fuck it, despite all the info I can gather I decided I am gonna go with Phys based character after all.

If I gonna cry later then let the tears flow!

That's the spirit. Just gotta jump in, internet wise men be damned.

Top Bottom