• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

fmrli

Neo Member
Why am I torturing my self by reading this thread? It doesn*t make sitting here and waiting for my copy to arrive easier ... (it has been shipped 6 days ago, but I am sitting in europe, so it could arrive any day now or take another week)

But I have a question for those of you who are lucky enough to already have it, concerning the combat system. From what I have seen the press turn system is back and I would like to know how hard it punishes you for hitting enemies strengthes?
Is it like in nocturne, where if your attack results in any "void" or "miss" it takes two turns and if you get any "repel" or "reflect" the game says "you are obviously too stuipid for this fight, let me give you time to think about how stupid you are by ending your round"?
Or is it like in persona 4 where as long as you get one "weak" it doesn't matter if you healed all of the other enemies the game says "you may have healed everyone else, but you hit on weakness and that is more as I expected of you so you are awsome!"?

Tamanon

Banned
Played about an hour or so and finished the first set of missions. 4 demons on the team. The fairy is the most important with Dia! Good stuff thus far.

duckroll

Fighting a boss:

- Hit weakness
- Hit weakness
- Do damage
- Do damage
- Hit weakness SMIRK
- Do damage

Feeling really good about myself! YEAHHH!!!

- Boss does a critical hit and kills one demon SMIRK
- Labrys Strike kills another demon and puts everyone else in the red
- Labrys Strike again, party wiped

:(

I'm starting to think they made Pixies super difficult to recruit as a troll on people who played Nocturne and SJ - literally every single conversation option I've tried so far makes them attack me.

I just want to fuse a Tam Lin, game! Work with me here.

Related: is level-based demon evolution in this one, or did they cut that too?

Fighting a boss:

- Hit weakness
- Hit weakness
- Do damage
- Do damage
- Hit weakness SMIRK
- Do damage

Don't feel bad. He's killed me too.

Goby

Banned
I'm starting to think they made Pixies super difficult to recruit as a troll on people who played Nocturne and SJ - literally every single conversation option I've tried so far makes them attack me.

I think only a few demons transform.

Angel being one of them.

Volcynika

Fighting a boss:

- Hit weakness
- Hit weakness
- Do damage
- Do damage
- Hit weakness SMIRK
- Do damage

The true SMT IV begins here!

I recall some guy advising to keep an Angel because it will continue to evolve to the next tier as it levels.

I haven't fused one yet, but I probably should. Thanks for the tip. I really liked the Setanta / Cu Chulainn evolution in Nocturne. I think Arahabaki also evolved into something insane like Albion that was Repel Phys.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The true SMT IV begins here!

Truer words, have never been spoken. Everything was a piece of cake thus far IMO. The first boss is like...He's so goddamn brutal. He is one hell of a brick wall. He's also the line where the tone and feel of the game brutally shifts. You can't fight him without a full party with 4 copies of his weakness (
Bufu
), otherwise he murders your entire party in 2 shots.

Also, if Walter is in the fight, you are dead.

GeekyDad

I managed to get one after, like, the first question, I believe. I'm telling you, the whole demon-conversation thing is a crap shoot. I've even answered questions the same with certain demons after getting a positive response previously, only to piss the current demon off. They're all schizoids. On the plus side, if you're low on HP and have one in your stock, conversations sure are a lifesaver.

So this game is handing my ass to me. Any tips on a newcomer to the series?

Save often, don't rush through battles, pay close attention to the icons that appear when prepping a spell/skill to use on a demon, as they indicate whether or not they're weak etc. (unless it's your first encounter with said demon).

Layd Dly

Hoping my copy from NewEgg shows up today in something other than a padded envelope. Since my Amazon copy did not fare well and will need to be returned now. I really want to play this tonight

I got a pixie in my very first negotiation with it :)

I got a pixie in my very first negotiation with it :)

Really? You too? Man, I have the worst luck ever.

I managed to get one after, like, the first question, I believe. I'm telling you, the whole demon-conversation thing is a crap shoot. I've even answered questions the same with certain demons after getting a positive response previously, only to piss the current demon off. They're all schizoids. On the plus side, if you're low on HP and have one in your stock, conversations sure are a lifesaver.

Maybe there's a higher-level version of the Scout app that has a higher success rate.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Negotiations seem much harder in the game. I also think I messed up and bought like the first 4 roster expansions in the my Apps list and when those 10-15 points could have been better used on buying something else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Any specific reasons why?

Just seems cooler is all, hahaha.

Also seems more thematically suitable with the "Samurai" theme, I think. It's gonna be difficult playing an MC that can't exploit elemental weaknesses but I am still gonna plow on and see how far I can go!

Restarting from the beginning, now I have just cleared the training/tutorial exercises, the MC is lvl 6, with 16 Strength, 17 Dexterity, 13 Agility, and Magic/Luck still untouched at 7. I decided to go mostly 2/2/1 with Strength/Dex/Agi, although occasionally I will go 1/2/2 too.

TheExodu5

Banned
So Fundraiser totally seems worth it. Money seems pretty scarce...this seems to be the only decent way to farm up money. It's pretty annoying to use, though.

Volcynika

My first pixie said she'd probably end up dead if she went with me. Which is probably true. Then the next few took health and items and ran away. Then I finally got one.

Negotiations seem much harder in the game. I also think I messed up and bought like the first 4 roster expansions in the my Apps list and when those 10-15 points could have been better used on buying something else.

I kind of wish the App expansions were toggles instead of purchases, but I can see why they made them permanent. I probably screwed myself over by buying the "Regenerate MP while walking" app so early in the game - that was 40 AP I could've used on negotiation skills instead.

That being said, giving my protag passive MP regen is a huge boon considering how rare Chakra Drops and healing rooms are in the early game, and considering I've given him Dia and some magic skills.

fmrli

Neo Member
You lose turns and now, it's even worse because of the Smirk system. Hit a strength and the enemy is powered up on his/her turn.
Sounds awesome. I really hated it when having agi while also having maragi was pretty much a wasted skill slot.

Fighting a boss:

- Hit weakness
- Hit weakness
- Do damage
- Do damage
- Hit weakness SMIRK
- Do damage

Why does reading this make me want the game even more ...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Best analysis of stats in english I've seen thus far:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66751506

Also, it would be nice if we could stop making unspoiler-tagged blog posts of where we're at in the game. Besides not giving a shit, it's nice to not know exactly what's on the horizon even if it is a series staple.

Damn, that's crazy in depth. I dont feel so bad about my build so far as much any more. Lets hope my somewhat even distribution to Dex & Mag with a minor focus on Agi/Lck will work out.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
I've only played a few hours, but I'm liking this a lot.

I broke down and bought a 3DsXL last week in anticipation of this game (and ended up buying Strange Journey, Fire Emblem, Overclocked, and Etrian along with it - pushing me way, way past the trade in credit I earned if I had simply gotten the system).

Out of all those games I purchased (I haven't opened Etrian yet) the presentation on IV is the most impressive by far; I haven't played any other 3Ds games, so I don't know if IV represents a genuine benchmark or not, but it feels like it.

Game has been difficult to start, as I've died a twice now on the gauntlet dungeon. But, this does lead me to a question; I only have 2 save slots that are offered to me - is this normal? I would have thought they would give you three or more at least. It seems like a strange, unnecessary restriction.

so it looks like the census is to not put anything into STR and DEX. I thought I read somewhere that there are some apps that need points in STR/DEX.

so it looks like the census is to not put anything into STR and DEX. I thought I read somewhere that there are some apps that need points in STR/DEX.

I thought the consensus was to focus on DEX if you're doing a physical build, but focus on MAG if you're doing a magic user.

I'm decidedly middle of the road right now at level 16. Maybe I should branch out in one direction or another soon.

KarmaCow

So Fundraiser totally seems worth it. Money seems pretty scarce...this seems to be the only decent way to farm up money. It's pretty annoying to use, though.

Fundraiser+ seems like a waste at this point though. It's about 33% extra macca and doesn't kick in if the demon gives you all their money up front.

Clockwork5

These negotiations with the demons are goofy, but I like it.

After demanding everything I own to ally up with me and my total refusal to give him anything other than a few coins the
centaur liked my strong will and joined up with me.
The
fairy demon
hanging out with him was not as impressed and told me I was being annoying when I declined to give her a life stone. I wasn't expecting these demons to have quirky personalities.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is Cheating totally random or are some demons more/less likely to believe you, as well depending on what they ask for, and does it matter how far into negotiations you are?

Is Cheating totally random or are some demons more/less likely to believe you, as well depending on what they ask for, and does it matter how far into negotiations you are?

It feels to me like most demons are willing to believe you once, but the more times you use it per conversation, the lower the success rate drops. I've almost never had a demon catch on the first time I used Cheat, but I've only succeeded at it more than three times in a row once.

DEX is fine, STR is pretty shitty until very late in the game due to a special weapon.

The difference between Physical and Magical builds will depend on skills and I haven't seen any concrete analysis of the physical skills to really know.

The link above does some analysis of Magic to know that you're OHKOing all non-boss demons by 190 or so MAG non-Concentrate with the base Elemental skills.

Why am I torturing my self by reading this thread? It doesn*t make sitting here and waiting for my copy to arrive easier ... (it has been shipped 6 days ago, but I am sitting in europe, so it could arrive any day now or take another week)

But I have a question for those of you who are lucky enough to already have it, concerning the combat system. From what I have seen the press turn system is back and I would like to know how hard it punishes you for hitting enemies strengthes?
Is it like in nocturne, where if your attack results in any "void" or "miss" it takes two turns and if you get any "repel" or "reflect" the game says "you are obviously too stuipid for this fight, let me give you time to think about how stupid you are by ending your round"?
Or is it like in persona 4 where as long as you get one "weak" it doesn't matter if you healed all of the other enemies the game says "you may have healed everyone else, but you hit on weakness and that is more as I expected of you so you are awsome!"?

Nocturne style.

Mupod

I was expecting to get a lot of mileage out of sukukaja/sukunda but they did absolutely goddamn nothing on the last boss I fought (I was level 14, it was
Medusa
). Even though I've put a ton of points into agility and a couple of my demons have that beast dodge passive.

I think I'm gonna shift my priorities to tarunda/rakukaja and making sure I have elemental weaknesses.

Best analysis of stats in english I've seen thus far:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66751506

Also, it would be nice if we could stop making unspoiler-tagged blog posts of where we're at in the game. Besides not giving a shit, it's nice to not know exactly what's on the horizon even if it is a series staple.

Holy shit, this is great. I finally know what exactly leveling up skills does, seems like it'd be most effective with area/multihit abilities.

it certainly has made a big difference with critical wave, which is still probably my strongest ability. Whenever I land it on a horde it's basically 'LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAAAAAIN'

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Mupod

DEX is fine, STR is pretty shitty until very late in the game due to a special weapon.

The difference between Physical and Magical builds will depend on skills and I haven't seen any concrete analysis of the physical skills to really know.

The link above does some analysis of Magic to know that you're OHKOing all non-boss demons by 190 or so MAG non-Concentrate with the base Elemental skills.

Yeah that thread itself uses an example of a gun with pretty crazy damage output. Made me feel better about my dex/agi/luck build.

What I'm worried about is with the lack of passive demon skills on the MC is I'm gonna be reliant on nice accessories and such. This game doesn't seem to have a 'pierce' ability like SMT3, so I guess I'll load up on support abilities in case of phys resistant bosses.

Yeah that thread itself uses an example of a gun with pretty crazy damage output. Made me feel better about my dex/agi/luck build.

What I'm worried about is with the lack of passive demon skills on the MC is I'm gonna be reliant on nice accessories and such. This game doesn't seem to have a 'pierce' ability like SMT3, so I guess I'll load up on support abilities in case of phys resistant bosses.

Same strategy I'm going for. Taru/Raku with Suku mixed in if it seems viable. Falk back on Buff/Debuff duty while Magic Demons handle the rest.

jackal27

Banned
Man, party got wiped out 4 times in the first area last night... I'm in for one hell of a ride huh?

Also, I still can't decide what skill to focus on when building my character. Would you guys go with strength or magic?

Man, party got wiped out 4 times in the first area last night... I'm in for one hell of a ride huh?

Also, I still can't decide what skill to focus on when building my character. Would you guys go with strength or magic?

Magic. I tried going with a more balanced build aimed toward physical, and I was getting decimated. As soon as I started focusing more on magic, my battles started getting a lot easier.

Weapon attacks are largely worthless in the early game, and considering how fragile Flynn is, you're going to want to let your demons focus on pouring out physical attacks while he supports by exploiting elemental weaknesses.

Mupod

On that note I am sick of bosses smirking after getting critical hits on my 'allies' who do nothing but squat in my battles and waste my press turns.

Top Bottom