• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Alucrid

Banned
damn, this game is so good. question - does the exp that unsummoned demons get reduced from what your party gets?

I find the fusion system kinda weird though. I don't like having possible fusions given to me, not chosen by myself.

Nexas

I'm getting the game tomorrow. Is there a tutorial that explains everything? All this talk is making me scared :(

There are plenty of tutorials to explain all the games systems. That won't prevent you from dying early on, but stick with it and you'll be fine.

I wore headphones from the very beginning to the end of the tutorial, love the music, it's super atmospheric.

Holy tits what am I doing wrong? I got destroyed twice in the first tutorial dungeon! Is it this god damn amazon preorder coat?!
Naw, I died twice, it sounds like other people did too. The second time I died was because of the map system, not sure it's the greatest map system in the world.

Aeana

I wore headphones from the very beginning to the end of the tutorial, love the music, it's super atmospheric.

Naw, I died twice, it sounds like other people did too. The second time I died was because of the map system, not sure it's the greatest map system in the world.

Because of the map system?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
damn, this game is so good. question - does the exp that unsummoned demons get reduced from what your party gets?

I find the fusion system kinda weird though. I don't like having possible fusions given to me, not chosen by myself.

The fusions on the main screen are recommendations; you can see other fusions available by pressing Y twice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yours should be the stronger build. I just want to
get the supposedly best sword in the game by having 100str
. Probably not worth it, but I've decided.

Huh, I didn't know about your spoilered part (not really a spoiler, for those curious.)

Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, physical usually serves me well in MegaTen whereas the demons can handle all the magic stuff. Did some buffing though just in case, especially if this DOES work differently... though I'm doubting it: usually enemies are hurt by physical attacks, whereas magic depends on whichever ones are available, nevermind the chance for criticals.

Enemies that reflect, nullify, or absorb physical attacks are not a rarity in SMT. Particularly at the end of 3. Perhaps that's not as much of an issue in 4, I don't know.

The way I see it, Nocturne was really geared towards a physical MC. For example, you will actually miss a Magatama if you're not putting your Strength to at least 30.

Not to mention Freikugel.

For the most part you are going to be relying on weapons and skill effects if you want crits. There are weapons with high crit rate but low hit rate for example. Stacking up on AGI is a way to mitigate that (since it increases physical hit rate).

Ahh I see.

What do you think the best stat distribution during level-up for a physical MC?

No notable difficulty so far, asides from the feeling that it'd be easier with a mag-focused character. I went gun-focused for that bullet-hole effect on kills, though.

As for stat distribution, dex > str and that's that, even on physical skills. But str does boost regular attack damage and opens up some equipment later on (apparently), so I've been putting points into it. We'll see if I messed up by not going pure dex.

So you're distributing 1/2/2 for Str/Dex/Agi or 2/2/1? I think I want to go with the former.

What's the maximum level for this game anyways?

Aeana

The way I see it, Nocturne was really geared towards a physical MC. For example, you will actually miss a Magatama if you're not putting your Strength to at least 30.

Not to mention Freikugel.

There are really great magic/breath skills, too, though. And in the original version of SMT3, you could not get pierce, so the latter part of the game actually sucked quite a bit if you were physical.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There are really great magic/breath skills, too, though. And in the original version of SMT3, you could not get pierce, so the latter part of the game actually sucked quite a bit if you were physical.

Oh, wow, I have no idea about that.

Huh, interesting. That would make the real final boss a much harder foe to defeat, I'd wager.

However it is interesting to note that they did lock one Magatama behind a 30 Strength door. Wonder what's up with that... well, it's thematically consistent I guess, considering where the Magatama was located.

Aeana

Oh, wow, I have no idea about that.

Huh, interesting. That would make the real final boss a much harder foe to defeat, I'd wager.

However it is interesting to note that they did lock one Magatama behind a 30 Strength door. Wonder what's up with that... well, it's thematically consistent I guess, considering where the Magatama was located.
If you're talking about
Lucifer
, then he wasn't in the game. Maniax added the Amala Labyrinth and all of the things associated with it. That stuff wasn't in the original version.

LProtag

Well, here's hoping all of this leads to me getting the neutral ending. I guess I won't be too bummed out if it doesn't work.

Because of the map system?
Mapper, but it was a combo of things. Basically I got lost after picking up the relic, I tried to use the map to figure it out, but it wasn't real clear where the floor-change (stairs) was, and where they actually were was next to an area that if you got even a bit close to it Hope would come up and say "nope! not yet" so I passed the exit multiple times and ran out of healing items. I guess the map could be a little better about elevation changes or I'm just not used to it yet.

Granted, I probably suck a bit too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you're talking about
Lucifer
, then he wasn't in the game. Maniax added the Amala Labyrinth and all of the things associated with it. That stuff wasn't in the original version.

Oh, I see. Huhhh, than the west release is actually a way more superior product than the original, huh. Interesting.

Well, except the fact that they replaced Raidou with Dante. That's not cool.

Oh, I see. Huhhh, than the west release is actually a way more superior product than the original, huh. Interesting.

Well, except the fact that they replaced Raidou with Dante. That's not cool.

Raidou was added into a special Devil Summoner edition of the MANIAX edition (the upgraded version we got) that came out after the version with Dante in it. It's literally the same game, just with Dante taken out.

Basically, the timeline is this. Original SMT: Nocturne (Japan only) came out. Then, a year or so later, the MANIAX edition was released, adding the Amala Labyrinth, the True Demon Ending, and Dante. This is the version we got. Then, several years later, Atlus' deal with Capcom expired, so they re-released the MANIAX edition again, switching out Dante and replacing everything related to him with Raidou as part of a promotion for the PS2 Devil Summoner games.

Nags

Banned
Ahh I see.

What do you think the best stat distribution during level-up for a physical MC?

So you're distributing 1/2/2 for Str/Dex/Agi or 2/2/1? I think I want to go with the former.

What's the maximum level for this game anyways?

This might give you a better idea.

Each str pt adds .33 to your physical hit.

Each str pt adds .66 to your physical skill damage.

Each dex pt adds 1.5 to your physical skill damage.

That is what I have learned for the JPN wiki on battle statistics.

It appears that the .66/1.5 split is te same between gun skills and physical skills. Aka, dex adds more than str does to physical skills, not the other way around.

So, dex has a higher return. However, dex does not adjust your physical attack damages, only weapon power and str do.

- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66748724

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Raidou was added into a special Devil Summoner edition of the MANIAX edition (the upgraded version we got) that came out after the version with Dante in it. It's literally the same game, just with Dante taken out.

Basically, the timeline is this. Original SMT: Nocturne (Japan only) came out. Then, a year or so later, the MANIAX edition was released, adding the Amala Labyrinth, the True Demon Ending, and Dante. This is the version we got. Then, several years later, Atlus' deal with Capcom expired, so they re-released the MANIAX edition again, switching out Dante and replacing everything related to him with Raidou as part of a promotion for the PS2 Devil Summoner games.

Hahahahah, I see. So complicated, damn.

Hmmm. So only STR affects normal attacks, but DEX affects physical skills more.

I see. Interesting.

How about AGI? Should it be prioritized more above STR in your opinion or the other way around?

Edit: But a guy at the same thread says this:

STR increases standard attack damage as well as greatly increases Phys-based skill damage, while only increasing Gun-based attacks (skills as well) slightly.

On the other hand, Dex greatly increases Gun-based attacks while only increasing Phys-based attacks slightly.

Depends on what you want to use in the end game: Phys or Gun based attacks.

Now I am not sure who to believe, hahaha, because if this is true, than for a physical based MC it would better to go 2/2/1 for Str/Dex/Agi?

Jessicat

It seems like DEX affects physical skills in a much greater degree than STR, to the point where many people on the Internet on various places I've been looking say that STR is actually the throwaway stat in this game.

Ah. Well good thing I only have... 30 STR...gdi ;>> Not restarting now, just got an awesome skill from my Hua Po so bleh, I'll make it work...like how I stupidly spent those app points earlier in the game *le sigh* There needs to be a purge stats item to reset everything to be reallocated like in SMT IMAGINE, those were useful XD

Nags

Banned
Hahahahah, I see. So complicated, damn.

Hmmm. So only STR affects normal attacks, but DEX affects physical skills more.

I see. Interesting.

How about AGI? Should it be prioritized more above STR in your opinion or the other way around?

I would focus on AGI personally. The press turn system is meant to be exploited.
Missing means losing two turns. But the same is also goes for enemies; if they miss you they lose their turns.

My favorite touch is how the hero's voice isn't JYB.

I like that EDIT: I can't identify ladies apparently

Holy tits what am I doing wrong? I got destroyed twice in the first tutorial dungeon! Is it this god damn amazon preorder coat?!

The starting demons just do a ton of damage so if you fuck up and let them hit you (either by getting back attacked or just not having a full party yet) they'll usually one-shot you.

Megaten, everybody!

Teknoman

Finally ready to tear into it after I get something in my belly after a torturous day at work. Like many others here, my outer box was damaged in the bubble wrap envelope packaging, but in my case it's the top part of the case, so it won't bother me when sitting on the shelf.

Can't wait to fuse/recruit my own Jack Frost, Alice, and Tam Lin again, always a highlight.

Man i'd love to have a Jack Frost. The figure and in the game lol.

Also that has to be the strangest looking centaur i've ever seen.

EDIT: If STR has an effect on normal default attack, I wouldnt think it was throw away. Lowest of importance maybe...but just completely ignorable?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm at level 12 right now with a 24/25 dex/mag split, and 17 luck, 15 ag, 12ish str. Ive done fucked up. Guess my next few levels will go bumping str/agi.

Conezays

Managed to play about an hour tonight. So far so good! Admittedly, I died once but I also wasn't fussing too much over my moves. The difficulty doesn't seem as over the top as some mentioned...though knowing SMT I'll soon be eating my words :D

So far I've distributed my points fairly evenly, with Luck getting the most points.

Any tips/suggestions about how you guys are distributing the points would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Jessicat

I know, right? That word... I do not think it means what you think it means.
LOL I think the only demon design that looks like it tried blending in is
Minotaur
, that I've seen so far. Also, wonder if I was the only one hoping for some witty banter between
Burroughs
and
Medusa; her design is pretty terrible too though
XD I'm still mourning the lack of Raja Naga though, my team just won't be the same *sniffle* If Barong isn't in this game Kaneko-style I'm ragequitting, lol, I need something to look forward to XD

Teknoman

I also see what you guys were saying about Navarre. Bet he'll get really annoying later. Everyone else is cool so far. Issachar feels like someone who going to turn into some sort of envious or jealous antagonist at some point though.

Teknoman

LOL I think the only demon design that looks like it tried blending in is
Minotaur
, that I've seen so far. Also, wonder if I was the only one hoping for some witty banter between
Burroughs
and
Medusa; her design is pretty terrible too though
XD I'm still mourning the lack of Raja Naga though, my team just won't be the same *sniffle* If Barong isn't in this game Kaneko-style I'm ragequitting, lol, I need something to look forward to XD

As long as the archangels look decent, i'm good. Also Mot and Girimehkala.

It's a shame because the game is trying to sell him as the chaos guy

shit I might actually damn the world, if it means sticking by his side

I dunno if chaos would damn the world, just make it a little more anything goes I guess. lol i'll probably end up being neutral if anyone starts swaying too far into zealot territory. Then again when it comes to decision making, I tend to just go with what i'd say if I had the choices in real life.

Top Bottom