• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

GeekyDad

Greatly increase the power of your (or the enemy's) next attack and critical rate. Also your weakness(es) is/are disabled during the smirking, I think.

I read somewhere that it's equal to around 3x -kaja skill stacked on a character.

If I'm not mistaken, it also raises your evasion rate as well.

I may try that, as is he just seems insanely weak.

He is pathetically weak, to start off at least. As I've made it into the mid-10s, he's started to come into his own though. You just need to get better gear and make sure you have a plan on how you're going to develop him, stats-wise.

Yeah. That zombie looking demon (level 11) has Mudo skills.

The death animation that plays when an enemy gets KO'd by Mudo is pretty cool. The demon just rots and crumbles into bits.

I found this to be quite humorous.
OxNM3r8.jpg

Enjoying the hell out of this game, why have I never played a game in this series before is beyond me.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Only got to play about an hour last night, sitting at work reading this thread sucks...can't wait to get some more time to play

I'm loving this game so far. Currently I'm trying to locate a missing jackass in Naraku who will go unnamed, but I can't help but feel like I'm about to hit a wall. To those people further than me, confirm or deny: this game has a Matador moment coming up soon.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm loving this game so far. Currently I'm trying to locate a missing jackass in Naraku who will go unnamed, but I can't help but feel like I'm about to hit a wall. To those people further than me, confirm or deny: this game has a Matador moment coming up soon.

Nah, it will be pretty easy assuming the one you are searching is a certain someone with a funny face.

Oh, there's several...but not necessarily when you'll be expecting them.

Hopefully there's a Daisoujou moment later in the game to make up for it. That demon lasted me almost the ENTIRETY of Nocturne. Draining the Mother Harlot's MP to 0 with Meditation was one of the funniest ways to win a boss fight ever.

Mupod

Not quite yet. But I definitely just got past a 'matador moment'.

I haven't met the equivalent of Matador so far (Stratum 5 so far) but every boss battle can be difficult if you dont have buff skills and some ways to exploit weaknesses.

Just have a demon or two with Agi, and you'll be okay.

Agreed on the save slot thing. Strange Journey did the same thing and it sucked.

Not really. I mean, there's a reasonable chance you'll die, but it's not a Matador-like "learn to buff/debuff/use resistances" moment so much as another example of SMT4's demons hitting hard, so if they get one good punch in, that can be a problem.

Nah, it will be pretty easy assuming the one you are searching is a certain someone with a funny face.

Haha, the very same. That dude's eyes have me dying every time.
Oh, there's several...but not necessarily when you'll be expecting them.

Hopefully there's a Daisoujou moment later in the game to make up for it. That demon lasted me almost the ENTIRETY of Nocturne. Draining the Mother Harlot's MP to 0 with Meditation was one of the funniest ways to win a boss fight ever.
Oh god I hope so. Daisoujou was a freaking powerhouse in Nocturne. Dat MP drain. So fun.

Not quite yet. But I definitely just got past a 'matador moment'.

My gauntlet is ready.

duckroll

Made some solid progress in the game. I think I'm almost in Tokyo now. Just need to beat the boss blocking the exit. I have to say, I really like the way the major bosses take up the entire screen and still animate. It's a pretty huge improvement over the totally static boss fights in Strange Journey. Unfortunately, the actual artwork is a huge downgrade. All the new demons in general look kinda weird and iffy, and not in a good way. Feels less like Megaten demon designs and more like rejects from some cancelled Kamen Rider RPG. Kaneko might have some pretty grotesque leanings for some of his demon designs, but they were always somewhat mythical or disturbing in nature - here the designs are mostly grotesque and either tacky or trying hard (and failing) at being "cool". Oh well. :p

At least the story is getting pretty damn good, and the environment design and soundtrack is totally killing it. :D

Samyy

God fucking dammit stupid goddamn
Minotaur
Other than that game has been pretty easy, might do a bit of grinding and fuse some new demons before I try that boss again I guess.

God fucking dammit stupid goddamn
Minotaur
Other than that game has been pretty easy, might do a bit of grinding and fuse some new demons before I try that boss again I guess.

I saved right outside of his boss room with a pile of new demons. I'll probably still die, but here's hoping I brought enough Bufu to the table.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Woah, I just went to talk around the castle and I missed this before (6 hours into the game):

Someone says that Navarre got a " honorable discharge", so he's no longer a Samurai.

Jessicat

Hey, anyone wanna chat about good skill changes? Just had my Hua Po change Maragi to Concentrate, which is amazing because the MC can learn it (Concentrate = Focus from Nocturne, powers up magic attacks only though).

Also had a demon really early on change a useless skill to Spirit Drain, now I have it passing on to all my fused demons and I've already got +3 on it on the MC~ it's great because Chakra Drops suck and you can only hold 20 of them instead of 99 -_-; And if you need macca, selling Chakra Pots is ideal fyi, though I just made a few thousand selling relics so maybe that was dumb in retrospect (I really wanted a new dagger though XD) speaking of weapon types, it's cool how they change the outside striking animation, I've only seen sword, dagger and spear so far though.

Loving the hell out of this game so far. Can't believe I almost didn't pre-order it. Thank you Nintendo for giving me the extra $30 incentive because hot damn is this game fun.

I just finished the battle on the third Strata of
Wendigo + Wendigo hordes
and I got through that battle by the skin of my teeth. I lost one demon at first, and then the second part of the battle surprised the hell out of me and I was wailing on the thing and praying. Prayers worked, although now I'm all the way at the end of the dungeon with all my demons dead except for two. Ah well. Fun times, and I've only completely died twice so far!

From the spoiler talk, though, looks like I haven't even hit the first real boss yet.

Hey, anyone wanna chat about good skill changes? Just had my Hua Po change Maragi to Concentrate, which is amazing because the MC can learn it (Concentrate = Focus from Nocturne, powers up magic attacks only though).

Also had a demon really early on change a useless skill to Spirit Drain, now I have it passing on to all my fused demons and I've already got +3 on it on the MC~ it's great because Chakra Drops suck and you can only hold 20 of them instead of 99 -_-; And if you need macca, selling Chakra Pots is ideal fyi, though I just made a few thousand selling relics so maybe that was dumb in retrospect (I really wanted a new dagger though XD) speaking of weapon types, it's cool how they change the outside striking animation, I've only seen sword, dagger and spear so far though.

Spirit Drain is completely fantastic. I only have it at +1 or +2 on the hero for now, but I'm teaching it and fusing it into any demon I can so I can boost that + even more.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Played about an hour last night. Yeah, it's can be an ass kicker. :D

Big time. Played for about an hour, got through the tutorial. On my second death when 'easy' is unlocked, I shook my fist in rage.

And then finally got two more demons to follow me, then got my ass kicked by the first boss, then grinded, got a couple more demons, and roasted it.

Can't wait to play more tonight. How in the world I've never played this series before is completely beyond me.

brinstar

One thing I like about this game is that the quest system seems easier to keep track of than in Strange Journey. I remember taking quests in SJ and would kind of just end up stumbling upon what I was supposed to do by accident. In SMTIV I feel like I can focus and knock out the quests I take without having to roam around aimlessly too much.

15 hours or so in...

I've made it to
Shinjuku
, though it seems I gotta head to
Ikebukuro
soon. I'm getting anxious, I just want to know who and what the Black Samurai is!

Also armor spoilers, I got the
Black Demonica Suit
... so good....

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Fighting a boss:

- Hit weakness
- Hit weakness
- Do damage
- Do damage
- Hit weakness SMIRK
- Do damage

Feeling really good about myself! YEAHHH!!!

- Boss does a critical hit and kills one demon SMIRK
- Labrys Strike kills another demon and puts everyone else in the red
- Labrys Strike again, party wiped

:(
I was level 12 when I beat him, since there was nowhere to really grind effectively, and when I finally did beat him, I had all 4 guys at full health. Aka 100% luck, so many misses on his part during that streak that it was crazy.

I haven't unlocked easy yet, but that's because I save entirely too much.

Made it to
Tokyo Station
, and goddamn, I just had to stop and post this because of the music. The atmosphere in this game is amazing.

I'm sure this has been ask a million times but I'm at work and can't look through all the pages and I kinda don't want anything spoiled. Should I be speccing towards one individual stat or can I do what I've been doing and speccing magic mostly and dex second? Is that even an ok combination to do? I've heard putting some into luck would be smart as well...

LOVING the game so far. Enjoying it way more than I thought I would.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm sure this has been ask a million times but I'm at work and can't look through all the pages and I kinda don't want anything spoiled. Should I be speccing towards one individual stat or can I do what I've been doing and speccing magic mostly and dex second? Is that even an ok combination to do? I've heard putting some into luck would be smart as well...

LOVING the game so far. Enjoying it way more than I thought I would.

You're better specing into either magic or physical damage.

That means either:

1) Mag/Agi/Luck
2) Dex/Agi/Luck (Str as well, though it's reportedly not that great)

randomkid

Just gonna do a dazed drive-by post cuz sweet merciful YHVH my SMT4 somehow arrived this morning in a well-packed box from Newegg. This was with free shipping! At $42!

Now the dilemma is do I sneak a peek today before I head out of town or wait until the weekend to dig in when I get back. This is a good problem to have. Sorry for gloating.

pahamrick

Is it easier to get macca when you're farther into the game? I'm just past the part where (Early Spoilers involving MC)
MC's home town got burned down
and I'm constantly broke. Party because I suck at negotiating and usually when I give a demon macca I get called a sucker and they split.

Is it easier to get macca when you're farther into the game? I'm just past the part where (Early Spoilers involving MC)
MC's home town got burned down
and I'm constantly broke. Party because I suck at negotiating and usually when I give a demon macca I get called a sucker and they split.

Have you been taking challenge quests? I'm at the same part you are and I have ~6,500 macca.

Top Bottom