• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Damn this thread has turned up to hyperspeed since the games release.

So I'm 7 hrs in, going a magic route for my MC. My first real hurdle was
Wendigo / Wendigo mob
. Then this morning it took my probably a good 10 or so tries before finally besting
Minotaur
. And now I'm stuck facing [spolier] Medusa [/spoiler], not because I don't know a good strategy to take her on, but because I don't have the right demons just yet.

Anyway, I love all of the opening stuff in Mikado, but the moment I stepped down into that
observatory place
my jaw literally dropped. Other than the fact that I had to turn 3D off in order to enjoy the dungeon exploration, I can't find anything to complain about with this game. Loving every minute of my experience thus far. And I apologize in advance for this, but I'm definitely having a better time with this game and enjoying myself much more than I did with Nocturne. Not that Nocturne is bad, but that I'm just having more fun with SMT IV.

Sera O

Banned
My first impressions based on my limited progress (I'm still in the samurai camp in Mikado and just gotten a quest to save
Navarre. . . do I have to?
):

Presentation for conversations is a lot more dynamic than I anticipated, which is good. I often find myself missing an analog stick for camera control when in the field. I am used to having a second stick on my portable now, but I don't want to buy cpp :\.

Anyway, what is kind of surprising is I haven't died at all yet, and I don't think I've been all that careful, either. I thought I'd get game over when fighting
Orthrus
, so I was shocked when MC KO didn't end the fight. I'd fused
Pele
, who had no issues surviving and just slapped him to death the rest of the way. This leniency makes the game a lot easier than I was expecting. I'm getting lots of lifestones after fights as well. I'm sure there will be some harsh difficulty jumps coming, but so far, the times I feel most endangered are when I'm trying to recruit.

Being able to save anytime makes me completely forget to save. I am going to end up screwing myself over pretty badly. I think I remembered to save once in 3 hours last night.

I DID IT! I BEAT
MINOTAUR
!

He spent his last turn beating on Isabeau instead of anyone actually important, after taking out all of my party members except for Flynn and my Spriggan, who was stuck doing nothing but punching him after all of my Bufu-users got KO'd.

Feels good...can't wait for the bus ride home so I can see what's on the other side.

I think I screwed up.

I was playing last night while I was nodding off in bed, and probably missed some important information. I went into that first dungeon, fought a couple demons and won, then talked to a demon and he's an ally now. But now when I run into other demons I am getting my ass handed to me. Like I don't even have a chance to defeat them - I'm done in two turns.

Was I supposed to buy some better equipment before heading down there? I didn't buy anything.

Yay - SMTIV arrived! Time to dive in...

I am sorry if someone else already posted this or not (I didn't notice it mentioned in the OP) but the day one free DLC is available.

I think I read somewhere that the free DLC will not be available for long (or won't be free for long) so may want to add to the OP a mention about this?

The two free DLCs available (to me at least) were the "Visage Pack" and the "White Samurai Apparel". I think those are available to everyone with the game and are not the same free DLC available to people who bought the game from certain companies like Amazon or Gamestop.

Meia

This game is bloody amazing, but not really much of a shocker I guess.

Love the skill inheritance system to the MC, though this leads me to a question: I just finished the Orthus quest(wasn't bad since my MC as well as another demon spammed Bufu to victory, even if on the first time he went three times and almost one shot my MC, though he did kill the bubble demon I have), but then after reviving her I get into another battle, and she gets her last skill, Resist Ice.

Now I know how important a skill like this could be, and it may be something I'd want to socket on the MC, but then she turns around and goes "Yeah, I think I'd rather have this be Mabufula." So she wants to turn a resist element spell, into an AoE spell of a rank I'm not going to have access to for quite a bit. I'm lost on what to do. Part of me wants to jump on it immediately and learn it for the MC(going like 3 MA and 2 AGI per level), but I wonder what it's cost is going to be, probably making it impractical this early.

This game is bloody amazing, but not really much of a shocker I guess.

Love the skill inheritance system to the MC, though this leads me to a question: I just finished the Orthus quest(wasn't bad since my MC as well as another demon spammed Bufu to victory, even if on the first time he went three times and almost one shot my MC, though he did kill the bubble demon I have), but then after reviving her I get into another battle, and she gets her last skill, Resist Ice.

Now I know how important a skill like this could be, and it may be something I'd want to socket on the MC, but then she turns around and goes "Yeah, I think I'd rather have this be Mabufula." So she wants to turn a resist element spell, into an AoE spell of a rank I'm not going to have access to for quite a bit. I'm lost on what to do. Part of me wants to jump on it immediately and learn it for the MC(going like 3 MA and 2 AGI per level), but I wonder what it's cost is going to be, probably making it impractical this early.

The main character can't absorb passive skills like Resist Element or Life Boost through Whispers.

GeekyDad

Is there an option inside the Mido menu to see what recipe of demons is required to create the demons listed in your compendium (specifically for demons you've acquired but aren't currently in your possession)?

Lucent

Played about an hour or so and finished the first set of missions. 4 demons on the team. The fairy is the most important with Dia! Good stuff thus far.

My health was low when I asked her to join. She jumped on my team and I immediately used her to heal me and then killed the other enemy. Felt great. lol

CSX

goddammit almost killed
Minotaur
on my first try. He said the near-death quote and everything!!! Im fukking pissed. Gonna take a walk lol

First boss is kicking my butt. Was about to kill him but he got a critical Oni-Kagura or whatever it's called on my MC, then another demon, and then used labrys strike to kill off everyone lol.

Guess I should fuse another demon with bufu.

First boss is kicking my butt. Was about to kill him but he got a critical Oni-Kagura or whatever it's called on my MC, then another demon, and then used labrys strike to kill off everyone lol.

Guess I should fuse another demon with bufu.

If you can get Sukukaja and Tarukaja, buff the crap out of your party with them, throwing down Bufu with Flynn and the other demon until your party is strong enough to tank his War Cries.

He really almost never uses Oni-Kagura, so if you can buff yourselves to the point at which you dodge most of his hits, the second dialogue choice later in the battle will debuff his accuracy even more, making him a cakewalk.

Weiss

Banned
Got my ass handed to me by the Naga duo using Tarukaja and Lunging my party to death. First time I had to use Charon.

So is there any easy way to gain money? I've done all the quest available so far and I'm going into Naraku to save
Navarre
, but I'm strapped for cash.

I'm about 2 hours in now (just started the first challenge quest). I quite like it so far. It's also quite difficult, but I'm getting the hang of it.

If you can get Sukukaja and Tarukaja, buff the crap out of your party with them, throwing down Bufu with Flynn and the other demon until your party is strong enough to tank his War Cries.

He really almost never uses Oni-Kagura, so if you can buff yourselves to the point at which you dodge most of his hits, the second dialogue choice later in the battle will debuff his accuracy even more, making him a cakewalk.

I knew about the dialogue things, I just had bad luck with getting hit by criticals. I pumped up my defense and debuffed his so I wasn't taking a lot of damage unless there were criticals or multihit labrys strikes.

I just beat him. Having another demon with Bufu really paid off for me. I always had smirk on at least one of my party members so that pretty much guaranteed a miss each turn. Spriggan with Bufu is a godsend for the fight since he resists phys attacks.

Just bought the DLC. Time to find out if it was worth it.
I bought that too, I haven't tried it yet. Isn't it just an area to grind in?

1011299_10200648862078023_1044445573_n.jpg

Finally joining you guys!

Help on Medusa please.

I can get a ways in with force based demons, but snake eyes just keeps fucking me over. I spam rakukaja until it's greyed, and that helps a bit, but not enough to the point where I see victory. Some guy on gfaqs said to use fire because they're weak to fire, but that turned out to be bullshit.

Help.

Minotaur was easy for me. This is tough.

She's weak to Force

Dresden

Help on Medusa please.

I can get a ways in with force based demons, but snake eyes just keeps fucking me over. I spam rakukaja until it's greyed, and that helps a bit, but not enough to the point where I see victory. Some guy on gfaqs said to use fire because they're weak to fire, but that turned out to be bullshit.

Help.

Minotaur was easy for me. This is tough.

I think I got lucky by having Shisaa in the party--it resists electricity and the zionga always landed on it instead of anyone else. Otherwise, you just have to keep pounding it with force spells while staying alive.

The questions it asks in the middle of battle are important, too.

Despera

Banned
Searched for this game in local stores today and yesterday, but no luck. It hasn't arrived yet and they keep telling me to check in the next couple of days.

At least I have Animal Crossing keepin' me company :)

khaaan

Answer to the question is probably spoilerific, but how are the religious themes in this game? I remember there was a massive thread a while back that dove into it and it seemed like the first two were a lot heavier in their parallels than the third.

bryehn

Conundrum. Do I open the LE I got or buy digital and hope to sell the LE for 70+ in a few months. I don't plan to play right away, but when I do I'll sink right into it and want that 30 FE credit. Is the dd version 40 at least?

jackal27

Banned
The thing I love about this game is that it keeps me on my toes. As soon as I start goofing around and not really paying attention, I start getting my ass kicked.

Lucent

Conundrum. Do I open the LE I got or buy digital and hope to sell the LE for 70+ in a few months. I don't plan to play right away, but when I do I'll sink right into it and want that 30 FE credit. Is the dd version 40 at least?

Nope. $50.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Summon Stone sells for 10k. Should I sell it? Seems like a revive demon from bench and starts them all in one turn. Even though handy, I'll take the cash.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Loving how the game keeps surprising me. Even the side-quests are a blast to play, and if David was an indication, they will be quite challenging.

Teknoman

Yeah, I walked into that fight by accident and got owned. Lost half an hour of progress because I already had a debt to Charon.

Redid the whole dungeon up to that point...and walked right into the exact same battle again by mistake. I almost threw my 3DS out the window.

3DS in pocket -> Go jogging -> afterlife profit.

C-Jo

I had no idea the 1st DLC mission was that much of an exploit. I wasted some of my credit on it, but I'm definitely not using it now.

Are all of the upcoming ones just as game-breaking?

Just bought it from Amazon because of the Fire Emblem cross promotion credit. The first runs still get upgraded to limited edition right?

Mostly a Persona guy and this will be my first proper SMT.

Lucent

Yeah, I walked into that fight by accident and got owned. Lost half an hour of progress because I already had a debt to Charon.

Redid the whole dungeon up to that point...and walked right into the exact same battle again by mistake. I almost threw my 3DS out the window.

Can't you save anywhere at any time? I've been using that like it's my job.

Top Bottom