• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Conezays

I love how the game's only been out since yesterday and people are already asking for the "best/optimal" stat builds to play the game, instead of playing the game.

The game came with a guide and I bet 99% have not looked inside it yet.

Fair point...although I opted for the Eshop version. *dons flame suit*

cj_iwakura

Yeah figured this / a lot of them are recurring, but I hadn't seen it in the small amount of P3 / P4 I played.

Also showed it to someone and they said it's 'weak to bees' pffft.

You won't find 75% of these demons in P3/P4. Even a few that are will have totally different designs here, like the bondage angel.

A bunch are in Soul Hackers though.

zTaESCX.jpg
Currently my main team.

I've died once, and I feel horrible about it. 14 play coins down the drain.

Xenoflare

You won't find 75% of these demons in P3/P4. Even a few that are will have totally different designs here, like the bondage angel.

A bunch are in Soul Hackers though.

I guess some demons are just not as "Personable" :p

More importantly I think it's because you only use one persona at a time, not 4-5 demons in SMT.

Just finished up
killing my childhood buddy in forest
and before I began the main quest again, I dabbled around with the sidequests to earn some much needed macca. Was it just me, or did anyone else
totally annihilate Long by spamming tarukaja and getting lucky with its weakness on the foray go
?

Bisonian

So I wiped for the first time on a challenge boss, trying to get a feel for him and suss out any elemental weaknesses. I saved right before I tried it, and now I just want to reload. I don't care about this River Styx stuff, and I definitely don't want to pay that fee.

How do I go about skipping this crap? I can't find a soft reset, and I really hate watching this cutscene and waiting for this text to skip through so I can say no twice and get back to the main menu. That seems really poorly thought out.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I wiped for the first time on a challenge boss, trying to get a feel for him and suss out any elemental weaknesses. I saved right before I tried it, and now I just want to reload. I don't care about this River Styx stuff, and I definitely don't want to pay that fee.

How do I go about skipping this crap? I can't find a soft reset, and I really hate watching this cutscene and waiting for this text to skip through so I can say no twice and get back to the main menu. That seems really poorly thought out.

Y or X skips that crap I believe.

cj_iwakura

Hold X then make with the play coins(I never saw his macca fee, afraid to find out), or load the app again from the home menu.

amrod

I cant get past the training part 2
where I gotta get a friend, I can get 1 but when I get the second one it never works out and after 2 hits I'm dead :\

Just got to the 3rd Stratum of Naraku and my party got immediately one-shot killed by the enemies thrown at me. :|

lol, some of these demons.

I've only played Nocturne and Persona 4, but the demon designs in this game seem way more weird right off the bat. The Centaur sure doesn't look like any depiction of a centaur I've ever seen.

PK Gaming

Finally reached Toyko

Wow

You guys were not kidding, it's like a completely different game. I'm going to burn so many items completing the sidequests.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's really ridiculous how insanely different the game is, when you reach
Tokyo
(major locale spoiler). The map is fully explorable, the areas are much larger and non-linear, there are 3d npcs walking around, there's even automated platforming. But platforming none the less! It's literally a new, and better game. The atmosphere and area design is outstanding.

Looking back, Mikado is actually a terrible intro to the game. It's not representative at all.

Kinda funny how this game doesn't have random battles but the visible enemies will still ambush you and whatnot. I just did a sidequest and on my way back into the area a bunch of enemies just cornered me. It was a mob that then proceeded to kill my whole party.

Varna

I'm REALLY liking this game.

I had a lot of fears going into this one. But everything has been pretty great so far. Really surprised how they didn't fuck around with the starter dungeon. Going in to the second it's looking pretty good too. Like Nocturne combat can go horribly wrong from just one misstep.

I really like how negotiations give experience and how you can even add apps to make that a pretty decent way to level up (at least it seems that way thus far). In general it seems like you could gain tons of exp just recruiting and fusing demons. This is a good system that will definitely encourage more experimentation.

Coming from SJ I really feared how they would handle the story in this one. That game just loved to overload you with tons and tons of worthless dialogue and exposition. This one is great, scenes are short and sweet, lots of flavor and lore dialogue from NPCs if you wish and in general the story doesn't seem as obvious. Few things have been said here and there and it's all creating a really nice mystery.

I cant get past the training part 2
where I gotta get a friend, I can get 1 but when I get the second one it never works out and after 2 hits I'm dead :\

Just stay in the first chamber of Naraku and wait for the demons to respawn. Then you can both get in a first hit and easily run back to the barracks if you need to rest between battles.

Once you recruit a healing demon (Napaea), you become able to handle battles a lot better, so try to get one of them as soon as you can.

Beat
Chernobog
by the skin of my teeth. Everybody was dead save Raiju, who was poisoned and just survived death with 1 HP with Endure. Axel Claw is a fantastic skill. I'll get back to the main story eventually..

What have you guys been spending your app points on?

I've only been buying skill slots, demon slots, and I just bought a demon skill slot. I'll buy the one that lets me communicate with more demons, but what else is worth buying?

FluxWaveZ

What have you guys been spending your app points on?

I've only been buying skill slots, demon slots, and I just bought a demon skill slot. I'll buy the one that lets me communicate with more demons, but what else is worth buying?

Anything that benefits the magic capability of Flynn. Aside from the one I got to add a skill slot to demons, I've only gotten the ones that add a skill slot to Flynn himself and now I'm saving up for the app that regenerates MP by walking.

This god damned Chagrin. I've tried like 10 times to recruit him. He's such a dick.

Someone earlier on mentioned that that demon's a sociopath and that might be pretty accurate. Only time I tried to recruit it, the conversation went something like:

"Hey, you're pretty cute." - Chagrin
"Thank you." - Flynn
"Let's see if you're any cuter when you're in pain."
*Attacks*

Omnicent

Just completed the first 2 main quests. Game is fun so far.
Had a centaur want to stop the battle... to bad I'm farming life stones. I chose the "die option". Felt a bit bad at first, but I'm sure
if it was the other way around it would have done the same.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just completed the first 2 main quests. Game is fun so far.
Had a centaur want to stop the battle... to bad I'm farming life stones. I chose the "die option". Felt a bit bad at first, but I'm sure
if it was the other way around it would have done the same.

That was actually an extremely rare occurence, ala shining Pokemon. You would have recruited Chiron, a unique Level 35 Centaur who can be used to fuse Ultimademon, the most powerful demon. People have been awaiting this moment for months, and yet, you blew it!

Top Bottom