• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Esura

Banned
So how many times can a demon whisper to me?

So far my protagonist knows Bufu/Zan/Zio/Patra but I got rid of Patra for Dia but I figured down the line I'll get more skill slots and I want to learn Patra again.

I recently learned that the FE:A + SMTIV isn't a seperate bundle, but a 'register both before this date' sort of deal. I had been ignoring it because I already own FE, but now I know that I am actually eligible. So, this means I can get the sweet limited edition for essentially $20.

Now, my question is; should I jump on this? I know it is a crazy deal, but I am still hesitant. SMTIV is a game that intimidates me. The RPG is not a genre I typically enjoy, and SMTIV seems like a game that would have a lot of the traits I dislike about the genre. So, I would really appreciate it if some people here could shed some light on my worries and answer a few questions.

For reference, I have never played a SMT game. My only experience with the franchise is watching the Persona 4 endurance run (let's play) from Giant Bomb. I know that it has a vastly different setting than the mainline SMT games, and I noticed some people don't like to place it under the SMT banner, but it is all the perspective I have on the franchise. So, with that out of the way, let's get going.

[1] Not really a question about the game, but something that is good to get out of the way anyway. It seems really strange Nintendo would give away a code for $30 with a new game (I imagine FE and SMT have a fairly large shared audience and I believe FE sold well). It sounds like a stupid business plan, and way too good to be true. Is there something I'm missing here?

[2] Does the game do a good job of explaining what stats do and what is important to focus on early on? I really hate being dropped into a complex system, where I have to make permanent choices without a good idea what is important in the short and long term. I don't know if the players in the let's play of the Persona 4 I watched chose to never pull up this kind of information, or if it simply wasn't there, but I got the impression that that game doesn't explain when it is or isn't a good idea to fusion demons.

In short, I hate feeling gimped later in the game because the game didn't explain the consequences of my actions early on. Does SMTIV do a good job of explaining?

[3] Is there a lot of grinding? It's something I dislike, but can live with. I just would like some input on this so I know what to expect.

[4] Are the story, dialogue and (english) voice acting good? Reviews seem positive, but I would like some impressions from the thread.

Thanks in advance!

demonkaze

I'm absolutely loving this game so far, it's pretty much vindicated my decision to get a US 3DS XL (EU bro here), I think I may even prefer this to Nocturne which I loved to.

I'm in
Ueno
(10 hours in) having done all available quests too and it just keeps getting better.

Thank you so much for this. Puts a better perspective on what I should be doing.

No problem. I will say that every now and then, you're going to run into a situation where your current demons aren't cutting it, and they don't look like they're going to fuse into anything useful either. In that case, you might fuse anyway just to try to improve your fusion fodder. To put that differently: current demons A through F are worthless, and worse, they can only fuse into potential demons X, Y, and Z, who are equally worthless. X, Y, and Z might, however, be capable of fusing into better demons, so if there's a logjam, you might as well make them. At the very worst, you'll clear up some stock space for new recruits, and if you study the fusion charts closely, you might get better ingredients out of the deal.

The stat boosts from armour is meager compared to the amount they cost, but you should be mindful of the different resistances chest armour can have. I didn't spend much upgrading mine, I only bought new pieces if I was taking too much damage from a boss' spells. Sadly your armour is usually only able to resist elements, and not null them. You can find some that do near the end of the game, but they cost so much that I suspect it's a ploy to get people to buy the money-farming DLC.

Wait, seriously? There's no element-null or element-repel armor in the game? That's complete bullshit. That was half the point of the Magatama system in Nocturne; allowing you to set the Demi-Fiend up as a counterpoint to your other demons by switching out your Magatama to tweak his defenses. Resist Element does basically NOTHING in this game because of how high enemy damage output is, so if there's really no way for the protagonist to repel, absorb or nullify elements, he's basically a walking casualty waiting to happen.

Honestly, I don't see myself finishing this game at this rate if the difficulty doesn't at least balance out a bit and soon.

Esura

Banned
I think it's one, but if you're talking about buffing one of the skills you already have, it's 8.

Nah, I was talking about the times a single demon can whisper to me. Now could the same demon, like Centaur for instance, whisper to me again if I delete the one I got and recruit another one? This would suck balls if I seriously can only do this once with a demon as now I have to be all uber paranoid about my magic skill choices.

Nah, I was talking about the times a single demon can whisper to me. Now could the same demon, like Centaur for instance, whisper to me again if I delete the one I got and recruit another one? This would suck balls if I seriously can only do this once with a demon as now I have to be all uber paranoid about my magic skill choices.

Every individual demon you recruit can whisper to you once. So if you fuse a Centaur and recruit another one, when it learns its final skill it can whisper to you again.

Yes, if you recruit a new version of a demon you already had, it'll whisper to you again when it learns all its skills.

[1] Not really a question about the game, but something that is good to get out of the way anyway. It seems really stange Nintendo would give away a code for $30 with a new game (I imagine FE and SMT have a fairly large shared audience and I believe FE sold well). It sounds like a stupid business plan, and way good to be true. Is there something I'm missing here?

[2] Does the game do a good job of explaining what stats do and what is important to focus on early on? I really hate being dropped into a complex system, where I have to make permanent choices without a good idea what is important in the long and short term. I don't know if the players in the let's play of the Persona 4 I watched chose to never pull up this kind of information, or if it simply wasn't there, but I got the impression that that game doesn't explain when it is or isn't a good idea to fusion demons.

In short, I hate feeling gimped later in the game because the game didn't explain the consequences of my actions early on. Does SMTIV do a good job of explaining?

[3] Is there a lot of grinding? It's something I dislike, but can live with. I just would like some input on this so I know what to expect.

[4] Are the story, dialogue and (english) voice acting good? Reviews seem positive, but I would like some impressions from the thread.

Thanks in advance!

1. The fanbases for both are different. Fire Emblem is tactical RPG. Shin Megami Tensei is dungeon crawling RPG. They both are known for being more difficult than the average game though. The $30 code incentive is to introduce FE fans to SMT and vice versa in preparation for SMT x FE.

2. Mechanics are explained. What you should focus on is not. Whatever you do, do a focused build if you fear high difficult. That is choose early on to focus on Magic or Physical attacks.

3. Grinding is unnecessary for the most part. Unless a demon evolves, don't get too attached and fuse a new demon once they are leveled enough to whisper.

4. Do you like Cyberpunk and Medieval fantasy stories? You'll like this probably. The voice acting is great. Don't expect a deep plot or lots of character exposition. Everything makes sense in the context of the game's universe. None of the dialogue so far has had any cringe moments which is good.

Onemic

Finally got the game today. For some reason my store only had the limited edition, so I was forced to buy that. How is everyone liking the game so far?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whoa!! I didn't know that
this right here could be a massive endgame spoiler, you would have no warning at all!
That scene where
your mom beats my mom at air hockey
was amazing! Also, I just fused
my anus
and finally defeated
your balls.

Btw, I'm 10 hours into the game and
I really wish everyone would STOP USING AWFUL SPOILER MAKING TECHNIQUES LIKE THESE! FFFFFFFFFFF!
nvm

Finally got the game today. For some reason my store only had the limited edition, so I was forced to buy that. How is everyone liking the game so far?

All first run copies of the game are the limited edition.

Whoa!! I didn't know that
this right here could be a massive endgame spoiler, you would have no warning at all!
That scene where
your mom beats my mom at air hockey
was amazing! Also, I just fused
my anus
and finally defeated
your balls.

Btw, I'm 10 hours into the game and
I really wish everyone would STOP USING AWFUL SPOILER MAKING TECHNIQUES LIKE THESE! FFFFFFFFFFF!

Accurate.

[1]Not really a question about the game, but something that is good to get out of the way anyway. It seems really stange Nintendo would give away a code for $30 with a new game (I imagine FE and SMT have a fairly large shared audience and I believe FE sold well). It sounds like a stupid business plan, and way good to be true. Is there something I'm missing here?

Nope, it's a really good deal.

[2] Does the game do a good job of explaining what stats do and what is important to focus on early on? I really hate being dropped into a complex system, where I have to make permanent choices without a good idea what is important in the long and short term. I don't know if the players in the let's play of the Persona 4 I watched chose to never pull up this kind of information, or if it simply wasn't there, but I got the impression that that game doesn't explain when it is or isn't a good idea to fusion demons.

The basic stat explanations are pretty good with one exception. The way DEX and STR apply to physical attacks is a little unusual. You can read up on that here, though, and just knowing that DEX is the better stat for most physical builds is enough.

Otherwise, SMT games generally favor specialized builds over well-rounded ones. So if you decide to go physical with your protagonist, don't waste points on magic. Agility is good for every build, and you should also throw some points into luck because it affects pre-emptive strikes and a new "smirk" mechanic that can turn the tide of battle.

Fusion is a strategic thing that you'll develop a feel for as you play. You're not going to gimp yourself by not understanding it right from the start. You'll just be a little slower through the opening areas.

[2][3] Is there a lot of grinding? It's something I dislike, but can live with. I just would like some input on this so I know what to expect.

Yes and no. You do not have to grind much in SMT games. Levels are less important than well-composed teams with a balanced set of skills. Of course, you need to raise your own level in order to fuse certain demons, and demons themselves learn new skills as they level, so you may find yourself doing some grinding. It's pretty painless, and if you REALLY hate it, there is a cheap DLC that can supposedly raise you a dozen levels in half an hour.

I wasn't taken with the introduction (although if it's your first SMT you might feel differently), but ten hours in, the story definitely has my interest! Voice acting is fine.

minty_jpg

I believe that's the only one available at launch (plus it'll be the same price after they ship the rest so you kind of won on this one).

So far so good. 3 hours in, everything is killing me still, but I'm grinding through it.

Is it custom to over prepare like crazy in SMT games? I feel like I'm going to grind like crazy after every battle. I'm okay with that, but I just want to know because...these demons keep killing me ;___;

(Don't remember dying this much playing Soul Hackers).

Soulhouf

The beginning is terrible, but it gets much better.

I didn't expect this, but I can say that now I'm satisfied.

Atlus, sorry for having doubted you <3

Esura

Banned
Every individual demon you recruit can whisper to you once. So if you fuse a Centaur and recruit another one, when it learns its final skill it can whisper to you again.

Yes, if you recruit a new version of a demon you already had, it'll whisper to you again when it learns all its skills.

Niiiiice. Thanks! I was freaking out for a bit because I was getting a bit grind heavy in Naraku once I got my footing and I stopped getting my ass kicked and every demon I had started whispering to me every skill.

Is it custom to over prepare like crazy in SMT games? I feel like I'm going to grind like crazy after every battle. I'm okay with that, but I just want to know because...these demons keep killing me ;___;

You should be using every system to its maximum to get through the game. Grinding early on in SMT4 is inefficient and pointless - either the game drops EXP on your head like rain or it trickles slowly across. Thus, your problem isn't that you're not powerful enough, it's your approach.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is demon conversation more streamlined than say Persona 2? I was really bothered with it in that game given how obtuse and unnecessarily bloated that system felt with the "emotion" gauges and building the traits to three levels during an attempt...systems upon systems, and I kind of despised it all. So many hidden tricks to it as well that a faq felt kind of necessary for some of the tricker demons to join. Ultimately just trial/error heavy and often nonsensical requirements for answers. Execution needed major changes.

Is demon conversation more streamlined than say Persona 2? I was really bothered with it in that game given how obtuse and unnecessarily bloated that system felt with the "emotion" gauges and building the traits to three levels during an attempt...systems upon systems, and I kind of despised it all. So many hidden tricks to it as well that a faq felt kind of necessary for some of the tricker demons to join. Ultimately just trial/error heavy and often nonsensical requirements for answers. Execution needed major changes.

It's streamlined, in that it's basically entirely random aside from a few "right" answers.

Tirod

I don't neccessarily like to gloat BUT since it's been a big wall for some, I just killed
Minotaur
on my first try right now.

Used Rakukaja, Sukukaja, and Rakunda to the max. Only had one Bufu user (Gremlin) and made sure to give him Chakra Drops when his MP ran out. Used a healer for triage, and would periodically attack with MC if Gremlin's MP wasn't low and everyone was topped off health wise. Was Level 12. No deaths.

Not the most exciting kill I suppose, but effective none the less. Just hit Level 13 after the end of that fight, and so now I get to fuse Tam Lin. :)

minty_jpg

You should be using every system to its maximum to get through the game. Grinding early on in SMT4 is inefficient and pointless - either the game drops EXP on your head like rain or it trickles slowly across. Thus, your problem isn't that you're not powerful enough, it's your approach.

Thank you for the tip, will definitely keep this in mind.

JCizzle

Is there a reason why people aren't going into easy mode when they find the enemy damage output to be too overbearing?

What does easy mode do? I'm not opposed to it, but also don't want a version of the game that is mind numbingly easy. If it's like a 'normal' mode equivalent for most games, then I'm down :p

Delio

Let me join TeamMAG. Having a lot of luck with this build. Mostly Mag with a bit of Ag and Luck. Am i doing it wrong here?

Three hours in, but only at
the third Stratum, looking for Navare.
I spent the first hour struggling and trying to recruit as many demons as possible, but I'm addicted to fusion :(

Is it possible to get all the apps in the game, or will you need to be careful with how you spend the points?

Mupod

I've got a challenge quest to find a Rukh egg but I cannot for the life of me find the damn thing. It says it's in the tower, but I checked every inch of that place.

Goby

Banned
So who here has gotten to, massive story spoiler! (lvl 50ish)
Destroyed future Tokyo? Man that camera angle in the first area is excuted so well, really nice camera work. Also this game continues the SMT I & II callbacks and I love it

Dresden

I've got a challenge quest to find a Rukh egg but I cannot for the life of me find the damn thing. It says it's in the tower, but I checked every inch of that place.

first observation deck, look for the exclamation mark near a wall.

demonkaze

Go to the area where you fought
Medusa
, it's an area you can investigate on the outer ring, make sure you're prepared though!

Ourobolus

Banned
Hm, I just realized something. Assuming you have the Macca, couldn't you register a demon in the compendium right before it levels up, level it, gain the skills, delete it, then resummon/level to gain the skills again?

So stats wise how am I doing?
2Hq5x8C.jpg

Will play later, as I have work to do.

Mupod

Hm, I just realized something. Assuming you have the Macca, couldn't you register a demon in the compendium right before it levels up, level it, gain the skills, delete it, then resummon/level to gain the skills again?

I was actually just thinking about this earlier. I was gonna test it out by fusing megaton press onto something low level, because I want to replace critical wave with it but not unless I can get it to level 8.

Ourobolus

Banned
So stats wise how am I doing?
2Hq5x8C.jpg

Will play later, as I have work to do.

You're going jack-of-all-trades? Good luck. Most SMT games I've played tend to be a lot more manageable when you focus on a stat or two.

I'd increase your DEX more than STR though if you are using any Physical skills.

I'm dumping most points in Magic, since I almost always play a physical character and I thought I'd try something different. What's the best complement to that? Agility?

Is luck useful?

Should I completely ignore the other stats and totally dump into just two? Or rotate through the others putting in a point in one every level?

I usually end up being somewhat of a jack in RPGs but seeing here that this could be especially bad in SMT.

Top Bottom