• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Sera O

Banned
Try getting an XL hand grip, I got one off one of those asian bargain webshops for like $4-something shipped(try looking around tinydeal.com, dx.com or focalprice.com). It's great, takes the strain off the thin console shape, highly recommended :D Doesn't help with the weight issue, put it down and take 5 every once in a while to recouperate ^^;

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that (and wow that's way cheaper than I anticipated). For some reason Nintendo hw and my hands don't get along.

It'll be hard not to marathon-play this game so maybe I'll hold off until I have a more ergonomic setup for it.

GeekyDad

So when it comes down to it...I'm fucked. okay :D

Nah. You might wanna start building toward a certain build, but I don't think even a jack-of-all-trades build would make for an impossible time, just perhaps more frustrating than you might like. Your build reminds me of my first playthrough of Demon's Souls. :) I got through that just fine, and the 20-something NG+ (and multiple slots) after it, with all sorts of ridiculous builds. On your first time through any game, I don't recommend getting too hung up on all that stuff.

Yeah, what is easy mode exactly? Is it like Persona 3/4s easy modes which are bafflingly easy, or just brings it down to a more traditional JRPG difficulty? Does it affect stats or XP or what?

Dresden

I think I'm about 30% through the game, and I'm digging the story and the characters quite a bit. Not sure what some of those reviewers were looking for, unless it takes a huge nosedive later on.

I think I'm about 30% through the game, and I'm digging the story and the characters quite a bit. Not sure what some of those reviewers were looking for, unless it takes a huge nosedive later on.

The setting is just so weird and interesting, and I haven't even gotten to Tokyo.

Aeana

Yeah, what is easy mode exactly? Is it like Persona 3/4s easy modes which are bafflingly easy, or just brings it down to a more traditional JRPG difficulty? Does it affect stats or XP or what?
I haven't tried it yet but apparently once you unlock it, you can switch between normal and easy at will. So if you're curious enough, it should be easy to give it a shot.

Close to 19 hours in. Minor spoilers below.

Shibuya, both the underground and outside, is absolutely enormous. Feels almost as big as the other towns and exteriors combined. I'm getting lost mapping it all out.

PusherT

Gaf help me I'm downloading the game now, I'm a SMT noob. I've only played the GBA games demi kids that is it. Since I'm playing the Eshop version I won't have that stratergy guide. What are some basic tips for SMT 4??

Samyy

Gaf help me I'm downloading the game now, I'm a SMT noob. I've only played the GBA games demi kids that is it. Since I'm playing the Eshop version I won't have that stratergy guide. What are some basic tips for SMT 4??

- Focus on your skills, demon skills/stats over levels.
- Exploit enemies weaknesses
- Be careful in every fight, any encounter could lead to your death.
- Go in the a mindset to be ready to die because you will.
- Explore fusions to find demons with the skills, resistances you want and need.
- Expand your skill slots, demon stock and demon skill slots with your app points first (IMO)

Beelzebub

I am seriously loving this game...the music, atmosphere, even voice acting. I'm very intrigued in what's going on in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, going around talking to the casualries, luxurors and samurai. Seems like some people say the story is poor and doesn't start till you hit Tokyo but Im enjoying this setting a lot and am taking my time. Just got done with meeting the black samurai.

Xenoflare

I cannot believe I already played 21 hours of SMT IV, this has never happened to me. Usually I should be burned out even after 2 hours of gaming. Jesus this game is good.

Anyways, I've been wondering.

Lilith looks like Raiden from MGR..... also anyone who has magical ears to figure out who voices Gaby/Yuriko? At first I thought it's Laura Bailey but I'm seriously not so sure now

Xenoflare

I am seriously loving this game...the music, atmosphere, even voice acting. I'm very intrigued in what's going on in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, going around talking to the casualries, luxurors and samurai. Seems like some people say the story is poor and doesn't start till you hit Tokyo but Im enjoying this setting a lot and am taking my time. Just got done with meeting the black samurai.

If you think that Mikado is interesting, Tokyo will blow you away. I was skeptical too, but the "SMT-ness" of SMT IV will start to ooze out when it hits it's home. Tokyo have already been destroyed 65535 times already.

I'm not sure either unless they were referencing to Nocturne but that's another discussion for another day.

On another note; bopping my head to music. Hope there's a date for the OST soon. Plus, Burroughs you so sassy <3

Xenoflare

I'm not sure either unless they were referencing to Nocturne but that's another discussion for another day.

On another note; bopping my head to music. Hope there's a date for the OST soon. Plus, Burroughs you so sassy <3

Burroughs made me chuckle when she registered "eating with friends" as a quest. In fact, she registers everything as a quest.

"I need to poop"

"I've registered the quest as a challenge quest"

"I'm constipated"

"That's too bad"

QUEST ABANDONED.

Busaiku

Why in the world can I not skip the small cutscene for Charon?
The one where you go past the mountains and everything.
I'm mashing every button, but I just can't skip it.

I've seen others skip it, so I know you can, but I can't!

Tamanon

Banned
Why in the world can I not skip the small cutscene for Charon?
The one where you go past the mountains and everything.
I'm mashing every button, but I just can't skip it.

I've seen others skip it, so I know you can, but I can't!

I think you can only skip it after paying the first time. So just pay the man once, or just quit to the home screen!

So guys, how do you recommend to spent my level up points? Equally in dex, agi and magic, with sometimes giving some to attack and luck?

I dont want to be dying on the last dungeons (Im at level 6)

Aeana

I had the same issue. I paid him. I had the second version of the cutscene where you don't have to pay and you are able to pick a difficulty. Next time I saw Charon, I couldn't skip.
Oh really? I admit I haven't actually seen it first-hand, I was just going by what others said. I've reset on every death so far (though I haven't died very many times yet).

So I got IV and Soul Hackers with a nice lil coupon.

Should I play the much older one first, or play the new one and have the older one around for a rainy day?

I havn't played a SMT game before but did watch the GB Persona Endurance Run.

brinstar

I'm curious as to how alignment works in this one. I only just finished stuff in Shinjuku, but from what I've seen of what I assume to be the two factions, I don't really desire to have anything to do with either of them (yet, anyway)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Should I play the much older one first, or play the new one and have the older one around for a rainy day?

All three of those are very different experiences but I would say go with SMT4 so you can talk about it with everyone else while it's hot.

It's also the most difficult of the 3 so I'd like to see how your smt cherry reacts.

Busaiku

Well, this is much, much more fun than Soul Hackers.
But it's also significantly harder.

This is also far longer, from what I can gather so far.

Aeana

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask. To those who are actually at Tokyo:
I wanted to determine whether this game has the alignment sway on your little map cursor guy. In some other SMT games, you can tell what your alignment is based on that. i.e., if it's rotating clockwise, you're law; counterclockwise, chaos; and rotating back and forth, neutral. My guy is rotating back and forth, so I was just wondering if everybody's is doing that or if it's rotating other ways for different people.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask. To those who are actually at Tokyo:
I wanted to determine whether this game has the alignment sway on your little map cursor guy. In some other SMT games, you can tell what your alignment is based on that. i.e., if it's rotating clockwise, you're law; counterclockwise, chaos; and rotating back and forth, neutral. My guy is rotating back and forth, so I was just wondering if everybody's is doing that or if it's rotating other ways for different people.

How noticeable is the rocking? I was checking for this, too. I know I'm definitely Law so far, and although it's hard to tell, the cursor seemed to be rotating clockwise, so it sounds like it has the alignment sway.

If you're looking for an intro to SMT, I'd play IV first. Despite the intense difficulty spike in the first few hours of the game it's probably the most accessible game in the series to date, barring Persona. Soul Hackers is a damn fine game, but I'd recommend it only for people who got bit hard by the SMT bug. You've gotta fit Strange Journey in there at some point, too.

Xenoflare

Clockwise for me, which make sense if your reasoning works, because I'm always siding with Jon for the moment, although it's tough to see as the cursor is not triangle like to old games

Busaiku

I'm pretty sure I've agreed with Walter on everything, I even reset every time I didn't, but it's still rotating clockwise for me.
What the heck.

brinstar

mine is swaying back and forth

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I looked up evolutions on a Japanese site and translated the information they had. Numbers indicate transformation level. (Putting this under spoilers just in case there are people who would rather not know!)

Divine Angel (12) -> Divine Arch Angel (22) -> Divine Principality (30) -> Divine Power (37) -> Divine Virtue (46) -> Divine Dominion (56) -> Divine Throne (62) -> Divine Cherub

Fairy Jack Frost (20) -> Jaki Wendigo

Drake Mushussu (51) -> Drake Tiamat (62) -> Drake Ym

Spirit Poltergeist (17) -> Spirit Quick Silver

Jaki Gremlin (14) -> Wilder Raiju

Night Wild Hunt (58) -> Tyrant Abaddon

Holy Heqet (11) -> Lady Dzelarhons

Jirae Kuebiko (49) -> Avatar Uka no Mitama

Avatar Chimera (52) -> Beast Orthrus (66) -> Beast Cerberus

Kishin Mou-Ryo (28) -> Spirit Inferno (39) -> Wilder Porewit

Beast Kabuso (23) -> Nymph Senri (32) -> Beast Nekomata

Vile Tao Tie (62) -> Wilder Taown

Femme Yomotsu-Shikome (31) -> Brute Yomotsu-Ikusa

Holy Airavata (53) -> Jaki Girimehkala

Yoma Koppa Tengu (22) -> Yoma Karasu Tengu

Fairy Kelpie (42) -> Yoma Valkyrie

Vermin Ubu (26) -> Jirae Tsuchigumo

Undead Corpse (39) -> Fallen Nebiros

Femme Dakini (69) -> Femme Kali

Night Kaiwan (44) -> Fallen Decarabia

CSX

I think I'm under leveled...

When the only way u can survive one turn against a boss is to make it waste one turn nullifying your debuffs..

Damn u
Ose

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there any way to obtain the evolved demons outside of evolution? If not, I might consider keeping
Angel
on my team indefinitely.

So I looked up evolutions on a Japanese site and translated the information they had. Numbers indicate transformation level. (Putting this under spoilers just in case there are people who would rather not know!)

Divine Angel (12) -> Divine Arch Angel (22) -> Divine Principality (30) -> Divine Power (37) -> Divine Virtue (46) -> Divine Dominion (56) -> Divine Throne (62) -> Divine Cherub

Fairy Jack Frost (16) -> Jaki Wendigo

Drake Mushussu (51) -> Drake Tiamat (62) -> Drake Ym (68)

Spirit Poltergeist (17) -> Spirit Quick Silver

Jaki Gremlin (14) -> Wilder Raiju

Night Wild Hunt (58) -> Tyrant Abaddon

Holy Heqet (11) -> Lady Dzelarhons

Jirae Kuebiko (49) -> Avatar Uka no Mitama

Avatar Chimera (52) -> Beast Orthrus (66) -> Beast Cerberus

Kishin Mou-Ryo (28) -> Spirit Inferno (39) -> Wilder Porewit

Beast Kabuso (23) -> Nymph Senri (25) -> Beast Nekomata

Vile Tao Tie -> Wilder Taown

Femme Yomotsu-Shikome -> Brute Yomotsu-Ikusa

Holy Airavata -> Jaki Girimehkala

Yoma Koppa Tengu (22) -> Yoma Karasu Tengu

Fair Kelpie -> Yoma Valkyrie

Vermin Ubu -> Jirae Tsuchigumo

Undead Corpse (39) -> Fallen Nebiros

Femme Dakini -> Femme Kali

Night Kaiwan -> Fallen Decarabia

Thaaaaaaank you.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Is there any way to obtain the evolved demons outside of evolution? If not, I might consider keeping
Angel
on my team indefinitely.

I've definitely seen some in fusion, so you can definitely get some there. Can't say for the rest since I'm not far enough yet.

Top Bottom