• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Welp, I don't know how I did it, but I just beat the boss of Naraku Observation Platform with only four HP left. I fused a bunch of Zan demons from the monsters you can fight in the chamber before you fight her, which helped, but she executed all of them with Snake Fangs halfway through the fight. Summoned one of my backup demons and she killed it before it could even get a single attack off.

By that point, Flynn and Jonathan were the only units left alive, and she nailed Flynn with some Ziongas that only did 20 damage a hit. Jonathan actually paid attention for once and cast Zan every turn, until finally Flynn scored a Zan +2 on her that knocked her out on the Press Turn immediately before she definitely would've finished him off.

My adrenaline is through the roof right now, gang.

GeekyDad

So stats wise how am I doing?
2Hq5x8C.jpg

XWaUiN6.gif

Game should start gettin' real fun for you soon.

In regards to stats, I've heard Dexterity may be the most important one. Seems to have a bigger effect on physical skills than even Strength?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm dumping most points in Magic, since I almost always play a physical character and I thought I'd try something different. What's the best complement to that? Agility?

Is luck useful?

Should I completely ignore the other stats and totally dump into just two? Or rotate through the others putting in a point in one every level?

I usually end up being somewhat of a jack in RPGs but seeing here that this could be especially bad in SMT.
Definitely keep focusing most points into MAG.
Put some points into AGI for evasion in battle.
Put some points into LUC for resistance to status effects and evasion against insta-death. I think it also helps negotiation and with item drops.

anddo0

I really like this game, but demon negotiations are killing it for me. It seems that all they want is life stones, and even after getting it, some of them still flee.

Alucrid

Banned
eh. why does grinding in this game feel so slow?
just got to minotaur and want to grind to 15 to get a jack frost
but 2000 xp takes forever.

pa22word

It is. The difficulty curve and balancing is absolutely horrendous in the tutorial and opening sections. It's so terrible I almost completely dropped the game and went to go do another run of Nocturne instead. Luckily, I stuck it out and have gotten my team leveled out enough I don't randomly die all the time due the game's shitty design anymore, and am starting to have some fun with the game.

Mupod

grinding early on really sucks but once the game opens up a bit you can actually get into higher level areas early. For example when I was around level 21 I wandered into somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, killed a group of Zhen and got 6000 xp.

Also, I just realized if you cast estoma sword on the map it automatically destroys weak enemies when you touch them. Guh.

Kimawolf

So, beat the minotaur, but Medusa kicked my ass. Any advice on her? my protag is level 13 at the moment with his points in agi and strength and magic equally

Clockwork5

[1] Not really a question about the game, but something that is good to get out of the way anyway. It seems really strange Nintendo would give away a code for $30 with a new game (I imagine FE and SMT have a fairly large shared audience and I believe FE sold well). It sounds like a stupid business plan, and way too good to be true. Is there something I'm missing here?

If I had to speculate, I would say that Nintendo is doing this to get people to join Club Nintendo. I would assume (no factual data behind this) that they do not have a huge body of members or even a majority of system owners are members(again, speculation) and given the fact that Nintendo has voiced that there will be expanded marketing and advertising for the Wii U, Club Nintendo may be part of that plan. Trying to get those 3DS owners to get a Wii U.

It is. The difficulty curve and balancing is absolutely horrendous in the tutorial and opening sections. It's so terrible I almost completely dropped the game and went to go do another run of Nocturne instead. Luckily, I stuck it out and have gotten my team leveled out enough I don't randomly die all the time due the game's shitty design anymore, and am starting to have some fun with the game.

Definitely the toughest opening hour of any SMT game I've played - I think the save anywhere and Charon features more than make up for it, however. Also, healing is free. Paying huge macca fees for healing has always been a pet peeve of mine in these games.

It's always weird seeing how they reshuffle the power levels of demons between games. Lham Dearg is usually a top-tier mid-game demon, but this game throws him at you at lv.1.

Sera O

Banned
So for the most part I'm still enjoying this. I just wrapped up the forest mission
and killed my bro Issachar :(

I went back through the beginning areas of Naraku before that for collectathon stuff, and was kind of surprised as to the damage output even of level 1 enemies. Why does one hit from a lv 1 centaur take more than half of my level 6 demon's hp without getting a crit or a weakness? Is it a crapshoot how much damage is dealt? I assumed a demon that weak wouldn't be so dangerous; lv 1 centaur in my party didn't do that kind of damage even to other lv 1 demons. Is this a luck thing or something or is there a damage multiplier on ambush?

So far I'm enjoying this - not as much as Nocturne yet, but I'm still early on.

My biggest complaints so far are about the 3DSXL hardware killing my right hand. I can't seem to go more than a couple of hours before I get this shooting pain in my wrist due to the thinness, button placement, and awkward weight distribution. I wish I had a second stick for camera. The circle pad's dead zone is starting to really bother me in dungeons. I'm going to have to investigate getting a grip for this and making it even huger, I guess, so if anyone has recommendations on that score that would be cool.

Soulhouf

I have a demon in my party who is "Lost".
What does that mean? I can't summon him anymore but he still takes up a slot in my COMP.
What gives?

Mupod

I have a demon in my party who is "Lost".
What does that mean? I can't summon him anymore but he still takes up a slot in my COMP.
What gives?

Just do some random battles. He'll show up and rejoin you after a couple, and sometimes bring a souvenir with him.

I went back through the beginning areas of Naraku before that for collectathon stuff, and was kind of surprised as to the damage output even of level 1 enemies. Why does one hit from a lv 1 centaur taking more than half of my level 6 demon's hp without getting a crit or a weakness? Is it a crapshoot how much damage is dealt? I assumed a demon that weak wouldn't be so dangerous; lv 1 centaur in my party didn't do that kind of damage even to other lv 1 demons. Is this a luck thing or something or is there a damage multiplier on ambush?

I'm level 31 and I had a crazy moment a little while ago where I almost game over'd to two level 14 Hua Po. I missed twice in a row and apparently I had a bunch of fire weak demons, so they just spammed Maragi on me until I only had one demon with 30 hp left.

I went back through the beginning areas of Naraku before that for collectathon stuff, and was kind of surprised as to the damage output even of level 1 enemies. Why does one hit from a lv 1 centaur take more than half of my level 6 demon's hp without getting a crit or a weakness? Is it a crapshoot how much damage is dealt? I assumed a demon that weak wouldn't be so dangerous; lv 1 centaur in my party didn't do that kind of damage even to other lv 1 demons. Is this a luck thing or something or is there a damage multiplier on ambush?

My first game over was against a lv.1 mob with a lv.10 party. Utterly humiliating.

CSX

Need help doing special fusion to get Amatsu. What's the 2nd demon and how u fuse him? Its the cat wearing a hat.

Sera O

Banned
I'm level 31 and I had a crazy moment a little while ago where I almost game over'd to two level 14 Hua Po. I missed twice in a row and apparently I had a bunch of fire weak demons, so they just spammed Maragi on me until I only had one demon with 30 hp left.

Yeah, when a lower level foe has a multi-target skill that hits party weakness - gotta kill them before they move! I've learned to fear that from pretty much every other press-turn game, but I was not expecting a physical skill to almost kill despite a big level gap and no phys weakness. The durability of my demons is hard to predict - even against enemies who didn't even seem to scratch them in the past. That's scary. '

No matter how well I prepare and fuse, I still feel so weak. I'm cool with feeling weak; I just wish I understood the factors at play better. It sure never worked that way when I was the one poking at a lv 6 enemy with lv 1 demon...

My first game over was against a lv.1 mob with a lv.10 party. Utterly humiliating.

Yep. No sense of security whatsoever, lol

Doesn't happen to be a list of the Demons that do is there :$
So far I've had (dunno if what they change/evolve to is random or not):

Jack Frost at lvl 20 to a lvl 25 Wendigo
Koppa Tengu in 20s to a lvl 24 Kurasu Tengu
Archangel in 20s to a lvl 25 Principality (he is already mentioning changing again.)

Just got to
Shinjuku
, gonna sightsee some more before heading to where I need to be though.

Spoilery stuff:
By the way, I love the throwback to SMT1 in the Hunter Tournament. It has my favorite music from that game, too bad you only hear it for such a short time.

Meia

Let me join TeamMAG. Having a lot of luck with this build. Mostly Mag with a bit of Ag and Luck. Am i doing it wrong here?

This is what I'm doing so far, but haven't had much time to play yet. Just been stocking up +1s on my different ele attacks I have on my MC, and have like 40 MA at lv8. Nom.

Still hard to figure out what I should be buying with App points. So far been prioritizing skill slots on the MC(bought 2 extra so far), as well as Analyze, but wondering if I may be better off getting things to get more money. Money isn't a problem perse, but I never have enough to feel comfortable. Then again, maybe that's the point. :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how long the game is overall? Wondering how much of the game there is to look forward to after Tokyo (8-10 hours in).

Tamanon

Banned
I'd laugh if someone got their dude up to 99 that way and just got Mudo'd on an early floor because they didn't understand how to play the game.

Jessicat

So for the most part I'm still enjoying this. I just wrapped up the forest mission
and killed my bro Issachar :(

So far I'm enjoying this - not as much as Nocturne yet, but I'm still early on.

My biggest complaints so far are about the 3DSXL hardware killing my right hand. I can't seem to go more than a couple of hours before I get this shooting pain in my wrist due to the thinness, button placement, and awkward weight distribution. I wish I had a second stick for camera. The circle pad's dead zone is starting to really bother me in dungeons. I'm going to have to investigate getting a grip for this and making it even huger, I guess, so if anyone has recommendations on that score that would be cool.
Try getting an XL hand grip, I got one off one of those asian bargain webshops for like $4-something shipped(try looking around tinydeal.com, dx.com or focalprice.com). It's great, takes the strain off the thin console shape, highly recommended :D Doesn't help with the weight issue, put it down and take 5 every once in a while to recouperate ^^;

Aeana

EXP item drops that can instantly increase your level by 1 when used

There are tales of being able to reach 99 in just 1 hour, very game breaking
I'd say it's not as game breaking as it seems, because level is not as important as it is in other kinds of RPGs.

Top Bottom