• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask. To those who are actually at Tokyo:
I wanted to determine whether this game has the alignment sway on your little map cursor guy. In some other SMT games, you can tell what your alignment is based on that. i.e., if it's rotating clockwise, you're law; counterclockwise, chaos; and rotating back and forth, neutral. My guy is rotating back and forth, so I was just wondering if everybody's is doing that or if it's rotating other ways for different people.

I'm swaying back and forth. Also wow I didn't know this!

PK Gaming

Gotta say, i'm not buying the "this game has a lacklustre narrative / cast of characters" claim that's been thrown out by a few reviewers.

It's not mindblowing, but it does what it needs to do, and it does it well. None of the characters overstep their bounds, and the story is interesting.

This could change since i'm like 20% done, but still. Meh.

My replacement copy came in and it arrived in tact. Delivery guy when he left it left it in a recycle bin instead of just throwing it on the doorstep :D

Ready to spend all night playing

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Found another resource so I edited demon transformation levels to be more accurate.

Hope some people can find it useful!

Aeana

Guys, is
Stephen, Stephen Hawking?
Okay. Sorry to use you as an example, but this is getting old. duckroll posted a few pages back about posting with spoiler tags. This is an example of a really, really poor way to use them. Your spoiler could be ANYTHING.

CSX

Just had this happen

Demon : " Your level is lower than mine. Take my buddy instead. "

Gives me demon 10 levels below me Lol...

Gotta say, i'm not buying the "this game has a lacklustre narrative / cast of characters" claim that's been thrown out by a few reviewers.

It's not mindblowing, but it does what it needs to do, and it does it well. None of the characters overstep their bounds, and the story is interesting.

This could change since i'm like 20% done, but still. Meh.

The characters and narrative are at least better than Strange Journey.

BLCKATK

Okay so I just arrived in Tokyo. Chills down my spine. Damn this universe is really cool and fucked and the set pieces are so excellent.

Question though: I'm currently Lv 16 and I just got to (Beginning of Tokyo Spoilers)
Ueno
I went back to Naruku to try to complete some challenge quests and got my shit WRECKED. I'm wondering if I'm underlevled for this area?

Okay so I just arrived in Tokyo. Chills down my spine. Damn this universe is really cool and fucked and the set pieces are so excellent.

Question though: I'm currently Lv 16 and I just got to (Beginning of Tokyo Spoilers)
Ueno
I went back to Naruku to try to complete some challenge quests and got my shit WRECKED. I'm wondering if I'm underlevled for this area?

(Boss spoilers) I'm overleveled (Lv.20) and I just beat the
Minotaur
..so I think you're okay.
Medusa
is level 15. So you shouldn't be.

Omnicent

man f changrin. Asked for my Centaurs life, said yes and he happily joined after killing my centaur. Thought he would just do some damage to him lol

Volcynika

Again. Posting boss monsters and the like without spoiler tagging is a dumb thing to do. Some people like to be surprised on these things. I like to participate in the thread, but seriously.

Aeana

Okay, I've gotten enough complaints from people about spoilers that I'm going to start taking action if it continues. At minimum, deleted posts, bans in worse cases.

Please, when you're marking your spoilers, say what that spoiler is actually about. Some people also would prefer to have boss names spoilered. Use your discretion about that one, but obviously if there are non-demon boss fights in the story, those should definitely be marked.

Omnicent

Again. Posting boss monsters and the like without spoiler tagging is a dumb thing to do. Some people like to be surprised on these things. I like to participate in the thread, but seriously.

It's not a boss fight though. Just a regular demon that is a pain to get to join your group.

I ended up having a demon give me a quest that rewarded a pretty strong weapon, I was curious if anyone knows if these quests are limited to specific areas or types of demons? Also are any of the rewards from them worth stressing out over making sure you get it done. I am pretty obsessive over making sure I don't miss anything that cant later be gotten.

-Horizon-

Just got my copy. It came in the padded envelope and the paper case inside was dented here and there but the contents: the book, game case, and cd were unharmed. Will play soon.

First time playing an SMT game...I died multiple times during tutorial 2 (talking demons into becoming your allies) haha. Man this game seems like it'll be very hard...I also got smirk a few times during battles. What does that do? Other than the insane difficulty it seems to have this game's pretty cool :)

Tamanon

Banned
First time playing an SMT game...I died multiple times during tutorial 2 (talking demons into becoming your allies) haha. Man this game seems like it'll be very hard...I also got smirk a few times during battles. What does that do? Other than the insane difficulty it seems to have this game's pretty cool :)

Smirk means you'll do more damage, crit more, dodge more. It's basically good. You get smirk occassionally when exploiting a weakness(as do enemies).

And yeah, the game is hard until you get negotiation down a bit, even then can be a pain in the tookus!

GeekyDad

Smirk means you'll do more damage, crit more, dodge more. It's basically good. You get smirk occassionally when exploiting a weakness(as do enemies).

I've only peeked into the art/guide book briefly, but is it mentioned whether your chances of Smirking are linked to the Luck stat?

Came home from work tonight to find my Amazon copy sitting at my doorstep. Thankfully it was boxed up and in perfect condition. I'm ready to finally dig into the game.

Vamphuntr

I'm enjoying it a lot yet I feel like it's the less balanced SMT game (inclduing spinoffs) I've played and I've played all of them that are available in English. I'm still early in the game I think
after you take the demon's head and bring it to the demon to make a bridge to the Military base
and so far I don't feel like the game is balanced well. It's either trash everything in 1-2 turn or get thrashed instead.

Maybe it's because there doesn't seem to be an easy way to increase your defense or HP outside of battle since you can't dump points in vitality and armors doesn't seem to influence defense.

On the bright side making OP demons is rather easy in this one since you pick all the skills you want to carry to the next demons when you fuse them. I already have Estoma Sword to get rid of annoying encounters and Tetraja to prevent getting mudo'ed or hama'ed.

Disappointed that Zio and Bufu don't shock or freeze anymore :S

Really happy that you can once again fuse bosses once you have beaten them.

Also some of the demons portraits don't fit well with the others. Some are lifted from very old SMT games and their portraits aren't updated while some are new and by a different artist and they kind of clash with each others.

Mupod

So I've been going through my sidequests, and man I wish they had better descriptions. The one I'm on right now just said to go to X area, well I did, too bad that place is HUGE and it doesn't specify whether it's in a dungeon or on the map.

I just remembered my game came with a goddamn guide. Maybe I should look in there...

And yeah, the game is hard until you get negotiation down a bit, even then can be a pain in the tookus!

Ah, neat! Very hard. I was playing and got one hit killed again ;_; I'll deal with it though :p

Hey, question about Naraku, floor 4.

I just
found the shortcut from floor 1 to floor 4, the jump down. Is there a similar shortcut for the way back?

I really don't get why people associate her with Lightning instead of Liara, who is an infinitely better character! Just fused Jack Frost, Sheet-ho is G-hoing down.

Slowly making progress.

KwEEswFl.jpg

Sleepy

I think I am starting to figure this game out. Finally finished the training missions, after dying a ton. But I think things clicked with the battle system.

Some questions, though: Can you not recruit demons above your level? It looks like avoiding STR in your build is the way to go? and not averaging the stats? Best stat to put points in?

Enjoying the game, even if it is fuck hard.

Mupod

man I could have a frost ace right now but I need to wait for this dumb Power to level up one more time so I can find out what that skill is. Black Frost is kicking all kinds of ass for me though, as usual.

also, one really nice thing about challenge quests: several of them give 3 or 4 of an incense type on completion. That's like two levels worth of stats right there.

Yuterald

A little over 5 hours in and I've still yet to reach Tokyo. How close am I!? Still loving the game from what I've played/seen so far, but if people say the "real" SMT IV starts in Tokyo then I guess I'm in for a big surprise? (Nocturne is my fav SMT game, btw).

Top Bottom