• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Who's doing those SMT Avatars? I kind of want a Centaur one, he was my first monster.

But holy hell, what the fuck is up with his design? When I first encountered him I was scared out of my mine because he looked like a Boss.

Busaiku

I'm stuck in Tokyo.
So I went to the horse demon, he wants some guys head...where is this guy?

He's in the pond area.
If you go to the underground, take the exit that's after the item shop and whatnot (on the south side), take the ladder up, and go around that area
Oh crap! Shinjuku help please, spoilers:
I'm doing the Corpses quest which you need to progress the story. I defeat all the corpses but then surprise boss Duhallan appears and decimates my party with Blight. FML. Tips on beating her?

It's weak to Lightning.
It has super low health, so if you can kill it 1 turn if you've got the right units.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
I'm stuck in Tokyo.
So I went to the horse demon, he wants Peallaidh's head...where is this demon/guy?

(Start of Tokyo spoilers)
The bare-bones version is to head to Ueno station, go to the bar and talk to everyone there to receive a quest. Do the quest by killing the slimy dude (weakness: fire IIRC), and get his head.

PK Gaming

I saw it as a mutation on incubus but he's got all physical skills and is slated to get turned into another physical demon shortly. C'est la vie

Haha, one of my low level demons with Bad Company experienced a skill mutation which got me Concentrate.

Concentrate + Dance spells = Super high damage.

Jessicat

I'm having trouble with a domain boss and since he has no weaknesses I just need a demon that either:
-can null/drain/repel phys
Or
-learns tetrakarn

I can't find the one demon in my approximate level range that learns the skill, and the null phys boss I unlocked doesn't show up anywhere so I must be underlevelled. Can't buy tetrakarn stones either it seems. Rakukaja does nothing substantial. Help?

Busaiku

I'm having trouble with a domain boss and since he has no weaknesses I just need a demon that either:
-can null/drain/repel phys
Or
-learns tetrakarn

I can't find the one demon in my approximate level range that learns the skill, and the null phys boss I unlocked doesn't show up anywhere so I must be underlevelled. Can't buy tetrakarn stones either it seems. Rakukaja does nothing substantial. Help?

Ose?
If you get Nozuchi, it can take a bunch of hits.
Pound on it with your strongest spells as well.

There's also another demon from the previous areas that was level 25 that resisted Physical.
Can't remember the name, but it's humanoid and very tall.

Nags

Banned
I'm maybe about 30-60 minutes in and I'm already thinking of throwing in the towel, but I want to hear from the community before I put my copy up on ebay.

I finished the first three tutorial quests but didn't leave the tutorial dungeon place yet. So far I've been finding myself getting too frustrated with the game, and ended up losing probably over 50+ Play Coins by now. Even trying to leave the dungeon, I find myself still getting slaughtered by enemies so I just turned the game off.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now and don't feel like picking up the game ever again, even after turning down the difficulty. I'm thinking that maybe this game really isn't for me. Should I just sell the game on ebay? Or am I being too harsh on it and should try giving it some more time to grow on me?

Sell the game man. It isn't for you.

Dresden

I vaguely remember someone asking this earlier in the day, but yes, I can confirm that there's null-element gear to be found/bought/etc. Just kind of salty that my look is ruined by this awful red chestpiece now.

He's in the pond area.
If you go to the underground, take the exit that's after the item shop and whatnot (on the south side), take the ladder up, and go around that area

It's weak to Lightning.
It has super low health, so if you can kill it 1 turn if you've got the right units.

Haha, one of my low level demons with Bad Company experienced a skill mutation which got me Concentrate.

Concentrate + Dance spells = Super high damage.
Thanks guys!
I'm now on my way to kill Peallaidh

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sell the game man. It isn't for you.

Nah man, don't be so harsh.

The culture shock can be brutal to those who aren't used to how SMT games handle things, but given time it is very possible that he can grow to appreciate it and SMT series can get a new fan :)

Nags

Banned

The culture shock can be brutal to those who aren't used to how SMT games handle things, but given time it is very possible that he can grow to appreciate it and SMT series can get a new fan :)

I'm not being harsh. I'm being realistic. It's worse to force yourself to play something you aren't enjoying. These games aren't for everyone.

Croc

Banned
Yeah this is my first SMT game and I'm having a pretty difficult time. Still having fun though.

I'm doing the 3 challenge quests now and I'm not figuring out where to find the demon claws...I know it says something about Gryphons but I explored the first 3 levels of Naraku and don't recall seeing any.

LostAnkh

I'm maybe about 30-60 minutes in and I'm already thinking of throwing in the towel, but I want to hear from the community before I put my copy up on ebay.

I finished the first three tutorial quests but didn't leave the tutorial dungeon place yet. So far I've been finding myself getting too frustrated with the game, and ended up losing probably over 50+ Play Coins by now. Even trying to leave the dungeon, I find myself still getting slaughtered by enemies so I just turned the game off.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now and don't feel like picking up the game ever again, even after turning down the difficulty. I'm thinking that maybe this game really isn't for me. Should I just sell the game on ebay? Or am I being too harsh on it and should try giving it some more time to grow on me?
It seems to me that you aren't trying to learn the game.
Honestly, I'm not even frustrated with this game (demon negotiations are fun!), because there are ways to overcome these challenges. Not even difficult, it just took time, that's all.

Jessicat

Ose?
If you get Nozuchi, it can take a bunch of hits.
Pound on it with your strongest spells as well.

There's also another demon from the previous areas that was level 25 that resisted Physical.
Can't remember the name, but it's humanoid and very tall.
lol yea ^^; But resist phys demons don't give me more turns, they just don't die. I can recruit/fuse those but they won't have any good skills XD Guess I'll keep trying x.x

*edit* beat him barely, Walter did most of the attacking though, only got one concentrated agilao and some rakundas on him before my team continually got splattered -_-; So glad my Narcissus knew how to use healing items XD

something like that is how I discovered that 'end talks' as soon as the demon starts getting greedy is one of the best ways to get demons to join you.

Wow, I've never actually tried picking end talks before. I'll have to give it a shot now.

Edit: And the first time I try it, it works. Cool beans!

Dresden

lol yea ^^; But resist phys demons don't give me more turns, they just don't die. I can recruit/fuse those but they won't have any good skills XD Guess I'll keep trying x.x

Just stack rakukaja thrice on your first turn, and keep a debuff applied on him. He'll waste one of his turns using dejaka to dispell himself so that'll cut the incoming damage in half.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
Yeah this is my first SMT game and I'm having a pretty difficult time. Still having fun though.

I'm doing the 3 challenge quests now and I'm not figuring out where to find the demon claws...I know it says something about Gryphons but I explored the first 3 levels of Naraku and don't recall seeing any.

Gryphons are a little rare compared to most of the other demons here, but I know for sure they can be found on the first floor.

Just stack rakukaja thrice on your first turn, and keep a debuff applied on him. He'll waste one of his turns using dejaka to dispell himself so that'll cut the incoming damage in half.

My strategy as well. Having someone like Spriggan who resists phys skills is useful too.

Busaiku

You really don't need too many turns, it doesn't have that much health.
If you've got Zionga/Bufulao/Agilao and so on, it shouldn't last much longer than 2-3 turns.
The physical resist guys can last way longer than that.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I definitely haven't experienced the hardships like everyone else has. I have died, but nothing outrageous. I did get way overleveled since I was going after every challenge and ended up in the mid-30s by the time I was done with the first black samurai quest. I'm now going through story to have the enemies catch up to my level.

Mupod

Oh gotcha, thanks. I guess I'll just continue grinding/searching for those then!

you can tell it's them if the dungeon monster representation looks like a bat or bird or whatever.

I think they come in pairs on the second floor.

Psyae

I've played maybe about 10-15 hours of Nocturne (I remember being somewhere around level 40, maybe a bit under), but I didn't struggle with it nearly as much as I am with this.
I'm starting to think that maybe JRPGs just aren't for me anymore.

But I'll try looking at the guide and get another hour or two under my belt before deciding whether or not it's a game for me.

vall03

I'm seriously loving the new Demon Fusion system, especially on how very useful the Search function is. I just tried looking on how to fuse a demon with a particular skill, and Mido did all the work and just showed me all the possible combinations. This needs to be standard feature on all future Megaten games!

Mupod

I'm seriously loving the new Demon Fusion system, especially on how very useful the Search function is. I just tried looking on how to fuse a demon with a particular skill, and Mido did all the work and just showed me all the possible combinations. This needs to be standard feature on all future Megaten games!

yeah I've been able to fuse some crazy shit thanks to being able to search for specific skills. At first I was put off by it but then I learned how to use the reverse lookups and such.

I don't know that you will always need to do a bunch of grinding in this game but those first few levels (up until level 5 or so?) you are WEAK sauce.

So I recommend just hanging around the very first room that demons show up and keep killing those. If you take a single hit (which will probably whomp you pretty hard) and if you don't have a demon with healing then do NOT use a healing item! Instead just run up to the barracks. If a demon in your party dies then don't continue! Head back to the barracks and the demon will come back to life. Don't forget to add it back into your party. If you die (and your demon party can't finish off the enemy) then don't pay Charon - instead, just reload from your last save. And save often.

After doing that for probably no more than half an hour or so then you should be at a high enough level to continue.

Some more helpful tips:
-ALWAYS try to get the first attack in on the map before the fight starts. That way you can get the first attacks in. Otherwise at a low level the enemy demon party very well may kill you in their first round of attacks or wipe enough of your party that you're dead anyway.
-Best way is to hang out in that very first room in Neraku as soon as you go down the stairs (or jump down). You will easily get the jump on spawning demons and you are very close to the barracks.
-In case you haven't make sure you get at least three demons in your party as quickly as you can so you can have a full party. And start leveling them up so you can get skills. Don't fuse them too early as you want a few skills first.
-Hammer on those demon weaknesses!!! This is the one primary thing to do in combat in this game. If you don't do this then you will get destroyed. This game is all about knowing your enemy. If you don't have much MP then that is fine - head to the Barracks to reheal and get all your MP back. Don't be shy about spending MP on spells in combat as this is not a JRPG where you just keep attacking to win (although that can work later on usually when going through a lower area - but not always).

I am only a couple of hours in (haven't had as much time to play as I'd like yet) so I could be wrong, but I swear that Mido remembers stats from demons that I previously had but lost due to fusion. If so then I absolutely LOVE that as I hated in other SMT games having to write down on paper all of the different stuff about demons (or going to sites on the internet). Glad to have a built in database in-game to store all that information and that now it is fully searchable and referenceable as an in-game database.

My experience with SMT games is not nearly as extensive as many here on GAF but so far this is my favorite fusion system in a SMT game. Perhaps "old schoolers" may have some complaints but I am not missing all of the extra record keeping that I felt that I needed to in the past.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Making my character Magic based because I love exploiting weaknesses and because it'll be a nice change of pace after the all physical guy in Soul Hackers. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with games that have visual armor appearances.

Psyae

I don't know that you will always need to do a bunch of grinding in this game but those first few levels (up until level 5 or so?) you are WEAK sauce.

So I recommend just hanging around the very first room that demons show up and keep killing those. If you take a single hit (which will probably whomp you pretty hard) and if you don't have a demon with healing then do NOT use a healing item! Instead just run up to the barracks. If a demon in your party dies then don't continue! Head back to the barracks and the demon will come back to life. Don't forget to add it back into your party. If you die (and your demon party can't finish off the enemy) then don't pay Charon - instead, just reload from your last save. And save often.

After doing that for probably no more than half an hour or so then you should be at a high enough level to continue.

Some more helpful tips:
-ALWAYS try to get the first attack in on the map before the fight starts. That way you can get the first attacks in. Otherwise at a low level the enemy demon party very well may kill you in their first round of attacks or wipe enough of your party that you're dead anyway.
-Best way is to hang out in that very first room in Neraku as soon as you go down the stairs (or jump down). You will easily get the jump on spawning demons and you are very close to the barracks.
-In case you haven't make sure you get at least three demons in your party as quickly as you can so you can have a full party. And start leveling them up so you can get skills. Don't fuse them too early as you want a few skills first.
-Hammer on those demon weaknesses!!! This is the one primary thing to do in combat in this game. If you don't do this then you will get destroyed. This game is all about knowing your enemy. If you don't have much MP then that is fine - head to the Barracks to reheal and get all your MP back. Don't be shy about spending MP on spells in combat as this is not a JRPG where you just keep attacking to win (although that can work later on usually when going through a lower area - but not always).

Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna play a bit before bed and hopefully will have something positive to report in the morning. Setting the game down for a few hours and giving myself some time to cool off has made me willing to give it another go.

Goby

Banned
Law path endgame dungeon spoilers

Anybody know what I need to do to
Navigate Lucifer's Palace? I'm missing what I need to do and only stumbled into Lucifige by accident. Now I can't find where to progress.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Making my character Magic based because I love exploiting weaknesses and because it'll be a nice change of pace after the all physical guy in Soul Hackers. Also, I have a love/hate relationship with games that have visual armor appearances.

Hey dude.

Finally moving on from FE:A? Hahaha.

What I'm finding in my very early experiences is that a lot of the death comes from just getting hit on the map. Surprise rounds can very often translate to 'your screwed', especially early on since I have very few demons (a few basic ones and a couple of fusions I've made). The lack of macca doesn't help.

Changing the way you get money is taking some getting used to, but extorting money from demons is definitely fun. You definitely feel the price of everything in this game.

Law path endgame dungeon spoilers

Anybody know what I need to do to
Navigate Lucifer's Palace? I'm missing what I need to do and only stumbled into Lucifige by accident. Now I can't find where to progress.

Not sure if it's exactly the same as the neutral path dungeon, but if it is,
you can think of that room being 3 separate rooms. Use the number of chests in the middle of the room to keep track of which one you're in. Systematically try every exit in every room. You will need to find and beat bosses behind two of the doors to activate a teleporter to the next area.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally beat M
edusa
. That was an awesome boss fight.

Finally made it to Tokyo and the music is fantastic. Sadly, is time to go to sleep!

Samyy

Damn some of these side quests really net you a shit ton of levels.
Just spent like 2 hours doing one that netted me maybe 6 levels...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why is it a must? Im almost down into tokyo and ive still not been able to decide what i and to put my points into. Are guns better than physical attacks?

I'm not using too much Gun attacks though, and according to the game's explanation, that's mostly what it impacts... right?

DEX affects guns yes, but it also affect physical skills in a much greater degree than STR.

STR affects normal attacks and yes, while it is also affect physical skills, it affects them in a much smaller degree compared to DEX.

Many even consider STR as the least impactful stat in this game, although personally I still raise it because normal attacks can save MP and can be useful for grinding. But yes, for physical-oriented MCs, DEX is a lot more important than STR.

scy

Finally made it to the first "roadblock" boss based off the posts in this thread:
Minotaur
. I mean ... I guess? Dunno, Level ~15 and it wasn't really that big of a deal. Maybe I got lucky with some misses/bad skill selection but he couldn't one-shot anyone (DEF buffed, had him inflicted with Sick) and it took only about four rounds of spell spam with a MAG (50) MC.

Not sure, I guess? Kind of an easy boss fight. To be honest, the game up to now hasn't been all that difficult. A few "oh wow, really?" moments with damage output (Blight why you hit so hard?) but nothing outlandish/unexpected, really.

Edit: Not to say I haven't Game Over'd (because, again, Blight why you hit so hard?) but it's mostly been "I think I can do this fight without spells" or "oops, didn't get to go first" as opposed to anything else.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally made it to the first "roadblock" boss based off the posts in this thread:
Minotaur
. I mean ... I guess? Dunno, Level ~15 and it wasn't really that big of a deal. Maybe I got lucky with some misses/bad skill selection but he couldn't one-shot anyone (DEF buffed, had him inflicted with Sick) and it took only about four rounds of spell spam with a MAG (50) MC.

Not sure, I guess? Kind of an easy boss fight. To be honest, the game up to now hasn't been all that difficult. A few "oh wow, really?" moments with damage output (Blight why you hit so hard?) but nothing outlandish/unexpected, really.

Edit: Not to say I haven't Game Over'd (because, again, Blight why you hit so hard?) but it's mostly been "I think I can do this fight without spells" or "oops, didn't get to go first" as opposed to anything else.

At 15 you were overpowered lol. I beat him at lvl 12.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Damn, almost had
Minotaur
. Probably would've won if I had more MP left. Had to resort to regular attacks that weren't doing nearly as much damage. Guess I'll travel all the way back to beginning and try to avoid enemies on my way back to him.

Hey dude.

Finally moving on from FE:A? Hahaha.

Yeah haha. I beat it one last time last week.

Top Bottom