• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I ended up having a demon give me a quest that rewarded a pretty strong weapon, I was curious if anyone knows if these quests are limited to specific areas or types of demons? Also are any of the rewards from them worth stressing out over making sure you get it done. I am pretty obsessive over making sure I don't miss anything that cant later be gotten.

The quest you receive from demons depends on the area you found them (demons in Mikado all give the same quests, demons in Kasumigaseki all give the same quests etc)

Three hours in, but only at
the third Stratum, looking for Navare.
I spent the first hour struggling and trying to recruit as many demons as possible, but I'm addicted to fusion :(

Is it possible to get all the apps in the game, or will you need to be careful with how you spend the points?

Even if you level up to 99 you won't have enough points for everything, but you'll get enough app points to give yourself and all your demons 8 skill slots by level 30+.

I died in the tutorial. Hilarious. (Had a smaller party after a couple of my demons died and I was trying to leave the dungeon and rest at the barracks, but I got hit from behind and wiped out)

Enjoying things so far. I've had decent luck with negotiations to date. Money is definitely hard to come by. Currently running around with Napaea, Dwarf and Centaur.

Xenoflare

I've been playing this a lot. I'm like 30+ hours in.

Also I've been skipping sidequests becasue apparently that helped with getting the neutral path but I got stuck onto the Law path :(

I'm getting conflicted info on this.

From what I heard, you should do as many sidequest as you can because this raises the approval of you in Tokyo, (accessible from the cynical man in the bar).

Goby

Banned
I'm getting conflicted info on this.

From what I heard, you should do as many sidequest as you can because this raises the approval of you in Tokyo, (accessible from the cynical man in the bar).

Yeah I'm going to try to get neutral once there is a legit guide out and all this confusion is gone.

I'll just replay as Chaos for the first time after I finish sigh this Law path.

I mean the window for neutral is from -8 to 8 which is ridiculous tiny.

Xenoflare

Yeah I'm going to try to get neutral once there is a legit guide out and all this confusion is gone.

I'll just replay as Chaos for the first time after I finish sigh this Law path.

I mean the window for neutral is from -8 to 8 which is ridiculous tiny.

Crap.

Now I'm seriously not sure.
I always sided Jon but I went all left (Walter) on the halls of ethics
I'm not particularly keen on the side quests but I'm doing as many as I can

Midou

Man wtf.

Played 40 minutes and got.to entrance of first dungeon and saw no way to save. I assumed, stupidly, that it auto saved at parts. No. Just turned it on now I have to go through texts all over again.

Good first impressions :(

You unlock a save anywhere shortly...

You can also use X to fast forward conversations.

Usually never a good idea to assume an auto-save is implied, typically games show you quite blatantly about spinning icons and not turning off the system.

FluxWaveZ

Man wtf.

Played 40 minutes and got.to entrance of first dungeon and saw no way to save. I assumed, stupidly, that it auto saved at parts. No. Just turned it on now I have to go through texts all over again.

I'm pretty sure Burroughs straight up tells you how to save before you get the chance to die.

Edit: Guess not, heh. That's unfortunate.

khaaan

Effin hell, this game is destroying me.

Currently on mission 3 of the tutorial and I keep on dying before I can traverse very far, I think the only reason I've gotten where I am is because it lets me save anywhere.

Early impressions:

Cons:
-Cutscene compression was kind of jarring
-The intro went on for a bit too long
-Demon negotiation feels random. I was able to get Centaur on my team by refusing until he fought me, talking again, giving him some health and then refusing until he joined. I died soon afterward without saving and when I tried to get Centaur again the same approach didn't work.
-What the heck is up with that death animation? Spending a minute waiting for the camera to go up the mountain makes it frustrating

Pros:
-Visuals
-VA doesn't suck
-Sound
-The game makes you hurt...in a good way

Sallokin

Man wtf.

You were really close to getting the whole save thing explained to you too. Like maybe a few feet a way if you were at the beginning of the first dungeon =(

Xenoflare

Effin hell, this game is destroying me.

Currently on mission 3 of the tutorial and I keep on dying before I can traverse very far, I think the only reason I've gotten where I am is because it lets me save anywhere.

Early impressions:

Cons:
-Cutscene compression was kind of jarring
-The intro went on for a bit too long
-Demon negotiation feels random. I was able to get Centaur on my team by refusing until he fought me, talking again, giving him some health and then refusing until he joined. I died soon afterward without saving and when I tried to get Centaur again the same approach didn't work.
-What the heck is up with that death animation? Spending a minute waiting for the camera to go up the mountain makes it frustrating

Pros:
-Visuals
-VA doesn't suck
-Sound
-The game makes you hurt...in a good way

Press X for the death animation, if you already died twice, you can use it to skip the cutscene and speed through the text.

If you are those ones that always reload instead of pay up. Then :p

khaaan

Press X for the death animation, if you already died twice, you can use it to skip the cutscene and speed through the text.

If you are those ones that always reload instead of pay up. Then :p

It's skippable. Pay him in game coins/macca to revive once and you can skip past that cutscene any other time you die.

Didn't know that, thanks!

I was actually reloading instead of paying Macca but if that'll get the scene to skip then pay I shall.

CSX

Wow mido actually says to put emphasis on support spells as demons get tougher when you talk to him. That life saving advice

Psyae

I'm maybe about 30-60 minutes in and I'm already thinking of throwing in the towel, but I want to hear from the community before I put my copy up on ebay.

I finished the first three tutorial quests but didn't leave the tutorial dungeon place yet. So far I've been finding myself getting too frustrated with the game, and ended up losing probably over 50+ Play Coins by now. Even trying to leave the dungeon, I find myself still getting slaughtered by enemies so I just turned the game off.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now and don't feel like picking up the game ever again, even after turning down the difficulty. I'm thinking that maybe this game really isn't for me. Should I just sell the game on ebay? Or am I being too harsh on it and should try giving it some more time to grow on me?

Teknoman

I'm maybe about 30-60 minutes in and I'm already thinking of throwing in the towel, but I want to hear from the community before I put my copy up on ebay.

I finished the first three tutorial quests but didn't leave the tutorial dungeon place yet. So far I've been finding myself getting too frustrated with the game, and ended up losing probably over 50+ Play Coins by now. Even trying to leave the dungeon, I find myself still getting slaughtered by enemies so I just turned the game off.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now and don't feel like picking up the game ever again, even after turning down the difficulty. I'm thinking that maybe this game really isn't for me. Should I just sell the game on ebay? Or am I being too harsh on it and should try giving it some more time to grow on me?

How many demons do you have?

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Go punch a pillow. Take a deep breath, and go back into the game. Follow what people here are saying and bother to learn the game's mechanics.

Mupod

Just hit 35 and finished a fusing marathon. I now have an army of no-weak assholes ready to take my revenge on that stupid tournament challenge.

Anyways I saved in front of a door, and I'm wondering what happens if (related to the black samurai):
you choose 'refuse' instead of apprehend?
I was gonna just check for myself but I need a little break after all that fusion.

The death scene is so annoying. Even when fast forwarding it still takes forever. I've started just quickly quitting out when I die and then rebooting. It's faster.

I wish there was a soft reset, but yeah just quitting out and restarting is very fast.

Kusagari

The death scene is so annoying. Even when fast forwarding it still takes forever. I've started just quickly quitting out when I die and then rebooting. It's faster.

epmode

I think you should be saving more often. It's usually a bad idea to pay Charon after your first death unless you'd lose a ton of progress otherwise.

As for the trouble you're having, the absolute most important thing is taking advantage of enemy weakness. Get the Analyze CPU upgrade ASAP. To use it, press Y while in combat and check out the enemy resistances. You'll also need a decent variety of demons in stock so that you'll always have an effective skill on hand.

Thinking about switching from playing on original 3DS to XL. How does the game look? Is it a pixelated mess?

No more than usual. The XL is a vast improvement with every game I've tried though.

Oh crap! Shinjuku help please, spoilers:
I'm doing the Corpses quest which you need to progress the story. I defeat all the corpses but then surprise boss Duhallan appears and decimates my party with Blight. FML. Tips on beating her?

Thinking about switching from playing on original 3DS to XL. How does the game look? Is it a pixelated mess?

Do it bro! It looks really good on an XL, you won't regret it. :)

*edit* I also love how the music changes when you take on a challenge quest in Tokyo. I'm loving this soundtrack.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
Oh crap! Shinjuku help please, spoilers:
I'm doing the Corpses quest which you need to progress the story. I defeat all the corpses but then surprise boss Duhallan appears and decimates my party with Blight. FML. Tips on beating her?

Use a Light spell. It will be a
one shot kill, of course.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Stumbled into the domain of a level 72 demon (I'm level 24), managed to kill it on the second attempt (after switching demons and armor).

Feels good man

Mupod

Stumbled into the domain of a level 72 demon (I'm level 24), managed to kill it on the second attempt (after switching demons and armor).

Feels good man

I ran into a level 75 and I thought I was boned, but it wasn't any harder than the level 20 things that were in its dungeon. Kinda weird.

Those monsters kicked my ass due to my demons being weak to their main spells. I kicked their ass once I fused the right demons! It did feel good. :)

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
Anyways I saved in front of a door, and I'm wondering what happens if (related to the black samurai):
you choose 'refuse' instead of apprehend?
I was gonna just check for myself but I need a little break after all that fusion.

To answer that question,
She will call you a coward, but Jonathan will arrest her instead. That's about it.

Rhodan

Neo Member
I ran into a level 75 and I thought I was boned, but it wasn't any harder than the level 20 things that were in its dungeon. Kinda weird.

Yeh he didn't seem any harder than the demons at the end of any of the other domains I've encountered atm, wonder if he just had the wrong level displayed?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I am actually rather astounded by this.

Don't give up too easily. Actually surmounting the difficulty is one of SMT games' biggest source of pleasure. Ask for advice (in here! Lots of people--including me--will be more than happy to offer you support/help), figure out the mechanics more, etc etc.

I mean, it's difficult true, especially for a person that are used to typical JRPG mechanics, but everything you need to not only conquer it, but beat it like a limp sucker, are there if you just willing to tough it out and learn.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It actually gets easier after you've gained some levels, learned some Skills, and got a bunch of Demons and Money.

It's really all about having some good luck and getting a Demon to join you without them taking a ton of stuff away, and staying near the exit and constantly leaving/healing/saving.

The Hermit

I just read about the FE x SMT promotion... I guess Nintendo found a way to make me buy SMT and care about the upcoming cross up game.

As if my 3DS backlog wasn't big enough already...

Sigh

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
I tried Hama but missed. :(

Keep trying. I had the improved version, Hamaon, on my main character so it worked out the first time. If it doesn't pan out, her other weakness is Elec, according to the strategy guide that came with the limited edition, although she resists Phys.

Top Bottom