• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

CSX

A tip...

When you are around early to mid 20s in level , start having mudo and hama skills around. You be so grateful lol

Mupod

Thanks.

Darn, looks like the earliest I can get it is with King Frost. Unless I don't get lucky with a mutation that is.

I saw it as a mutation on incubus but he's got all physical skills and is slated to get turned into another physical demon shortly. C'est la vie

Trying this with spoilers because I can't find an answer. Once you arrive in Tokyo, there is a challenge quest wherein you have to find a certain number of
corpses or demons to fight
. Upon taking care of the last one, you then encounter
a hunter who turns into a demon
. At the end of that encounter you are presented with two choices
to spare Dullahan or to finish her off
. Am I crazy in assuming this affects your alignment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
TeamPHYS!

Dresden
Laughing Banana
Lin Siniang
hosannainexcelsis
Soulhouf
yami4ct
Thoraxes
Sseklebeast
The Exodu5

Original TeamPHYS here. Was going to go mostly STR for the plasma sword, but I've changed my tune and will go dex/luck instead.

Added another one :)

Currently level 12, just reached the
forest
, still very early I guess. Haven't even gotten a gun yet. Still going DEX/STR/AGI interchangeably with DEX/AGI/STR.

Also, THE CD MUSIC IS A COLOSSAL WASTE OF SPACE. Goddamn all the tracks included are so goddamn lame.

Finally made it to Tokyo. I have to say,
the way Mikado and Tokyo are linked, by the one being physically above the other (I'm curious how this cosmology works), is pretty interesting. Certainly a lot better than the time travel theories people were throwing out pre-release.

Mupod

I'm dex/agi/luck even spread. Critical wave+8 has gotten me through some shit, but it's time to replace it with megaton press.

A little over 5 hours in and
I've still yet to reach Tokyo. How close am I!? Still loving the game from what I've played/seen so far, but if people say the "real" SMT IV starts in Tokyo then I guess I'm in for a big surprise? (Nocturne is my fav SMT game, btw).

Spoiler that shit.

I got to Tokyo in about eight hours. Tokyo is more in line with older SMT games, not Nocturne, but there are elements that everyone can appreciate. Like the fuck-awesome music.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess Tokyo is fair game now for spoilers? Nobody's even blocking it off anymore.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Okay so I just arrived in Tokyo. Chills down my spine. Damn this universe is really cool and fucked and the set pieces are so excellent.

Question though: I'm currently Lv 16 and I just got to (Beginning of Tokyo Spoilers)
Ueno
I went back to Naruku to try to complete some challenge quests and got my shit WRECKED. I'm wondering if I'm underlevled for this area?

Those challenge quests should specifically tell you you're underlevelled when you accept them (Burroughs will say something about you not being strong enough), that being said I was around 16/17 when I did them and they were hard but not impossible.

Volcynika

Made it to the bottom of Naraku before ending my stream, so everyone knows what's there. I need to get an Apsaras or something for Media.

Aeana

Spoiler that shit.

I got to Tokyo in about eight hours. Tokyo is more in line with older SMT games, not Nocturne, but there are elements that everyone can appreciate. Like the fuck-awesome music.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess Tokyo is fair game now for spoilers? Nobody's even blocking it off anymore.
The fact that you do get to Tokyo isn't a spoiler because it is in promotional material and... it's a mainline SMT game. But details about it should be marked.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess LOCATION NAME is fair game now for spoilers? Nobody's even blocking it off anymore.

I can see both sides of that one. One the one hand, it's a mainline SMT game, so that location should not be a surprise. On the other hand, it's still staged as a dramatic reveal, and it would be nice to preserve that effect for people who don't necessarily expect it (especially first-time SMT players).

So I'm in Tokyo, I made it to
Ueno Station
...but I don't know where to go next. I keep wandering around but find myself going in circles all the time. Am I missing something obvious?

Rhodan

Neo Member
A little over 5 hours in and I've still yet to reach Tokyo. How close am I!? Still loving the game from what I've played/seen so far, but if people say the "real" SMT IV starts in Tokyo then I guess I'm in for a big surprise? (Nocturne is my fav SMT game, btw).

Took me around 9 hours or so though some people were saying they did it in six or seven hours

Aeana

Ueno Station
...but I don't know where to go next. I keep wandering around but find myself going in circles all the time. Am I missing something obvious?
Did you go into the bar and use the "talk" option and talked with everyone there?

Rhodan

Neo Member
Ueno Station

I spent a bit of time wandering around not sure where to go next but heres what you need to do;

Go to the bar in the underground and "talk", then talk to the three people there, one of them will give you quest to kill a Demon in the pond area

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can see both sides of that one. One the one hand, it's a mainline SMT game, so that location should not be a surprise. On the other hand, it's still staged as a dramatic reveal, and it would be nice to preserve that effect for people who don't necessarily expect it (especially first-time SMT players).

Well, whatever it is, the I-don't-want-to-be-spoilered-anything-brigade (me as one of them) is already totally fucked in regards of Tokyo as one of the places we can visit in this game :(

The fact that you do get to Tokyo isn't a spoiler because it is in promotional material and... it's a mainline SMT game. But details about it should be marked.

Well, the thread started out spoilering Tokyo, but not anymore. That's why I'm surprised.

Speaking of Tokyo,
man I love the underground areas, really great in terms of setting a mood with people walking around.
This game's really good at keeping you actually role playing.

vall03

Money has been very easy to get ever since coming to Tokyo. Would also to ask, how long exactly do these relics get replenished?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Are you telling me if I didn't kill a certain monster, I could've gone shopping/quested in ikebukuro!? Blah, hope I'm wrong.

I changed my mind with the game. While I still think demon negotiation blows, and the presentation is weak, and the characters and story are boring, the battle system and fusing is still really compelling and manages to be pretty fun. Though I still think it would have been better in third person.

So, the Treasure Room. It's some place I'm supposed to be heading for an early-game challenge mission. I'm looking everywhere in Mikado Castle for it, but it's not showing up on my list of places to visit. Did I miss something?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So, the Treasure Room. It's some place I'm supposed to be heading for an early-game challenge mission. I'm looking everywhere in Mikado Castle for it, but it's not showing up on my list of places to visit. Did I miss something?

I believe for that one you have to actually accept the quest from the quest menu before that area will activate.

Smo21

13 hours in and I just got to
ueno
. Love this game so far. I kinda feel like my may have over leveled tho. Mc is 16 and all my summons are 11-16

Jessicat

Fusion question! I need an Enigma race demon, how do I fuse one? o_O I'm not keen on wasting points for the lingo app, and I don't think I've seen the one I need in the wild anyways. Alternatively, are there any phys null/drain/reflect demons? I only know of one and he hasn't shown up in any combos I try so I must be too low level right now.

Tamanon

Banned
2 hours in, on the 3rd set of missions to
rescue a certain someone. Ran into the Nagas, thought it'd be a tough fight. Luckily one of my first demon skill evolutions was Maragi so my MC and another demon had it.

Wrecked it. 1 round, collect XP, move on!

Sallokin

I'm about 6 or so hours in. Just taking my time leveling up and fusing and stuff. I just hit (possible area spoiler)
Kiccigiorgi
and I'm really just having a blast. Can't wait to get much deeper into the game.

Poyunch

You can't really take pictures with the camera, right? Animal Crossing has spoiled me and whenever I hear the camera mentioned I feel like I'm being mocked.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Had a dollar and change left from my thirty Nintendo bux, decided to get the Afterlife DLC since I didn't have anything else to use it on.

Yikes, talk about easy level ups. I think I would feel too ashamed to ever actually use any of this.

13 hours in and I just got to
ueno
. Love this game so far. I kinda feel like my may have over leveled tho. Mc is 16 and all my summons are 11-16

Level wise you are where you should be (I think) but you are never too safe from one random encounter going totally wrong and wiping you out before you know it. It happening to me where you are currently.

Aeana

Fusion question! I need an Enigma race demon, how do I fuse one? o_O I'm not keen on wasting points for the lingo app, and I don't think I've seen the one I need in the wild anyways. Alternatively, are there any phys null/drain/reflect demons? I only know of one and he hasn't shown up in any combos I try so I must be too low level right now.

According to the chart in the book, you can't fuse an enigma demon through normal means.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm about 3 hours in. Grinding at the moment. I thought grinding was going to give me tons of mecca, but I was wrong. I'm still working on new equipment. I guess they give you a better way at making money.

Who else is named Flynn?

Aeana

I'm about 3 hours in. Grinding at the moment. I thought grinding was going to give me tons of mecca, but I was wrong. I'm still working on new equipment. I guess they give you a better way at making money.

The primary way to make money is by collecting relics and selling them to the shops. It's harder in the early stages than later.

So I didn't get an answer for my question on the last page, I went ahead and picked an option. I plan on playing through all the paths, so potential alignment scenarios aren't terribly important to me.

Battery died so I had to stop as I arrived at the um, third area in Tokyo
Shinjuko?
. Done for the night sadly, but I guess I'll keep lurking in this thread to live vicariously through you guys and gals still playing.

Top Bottom