• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Scoot2005

Banned
SO. With Chapter 5
Laura seems to dodge the bodies I burn. Do I have to stand right next to it and have her right next to me to get this to work?

Scoot2005

Banned
I'm not saying that the game is bad or anything. Just didn't think the intro was particularly great.

It wasn't. I share the same opinion.

"HEY GUYS! Lets base the first chapter off of game elements like hiding! THOSE WILL GET USED A LOT!"

Everything else is fucking golden so far.

hemo memo

Here's how the game was meant to be played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG8xplgjic

No black bars, no cinematic bs, no 24 fps, no vaseline/duct tape and more importantly FIXED FOV, no 45 angle.

Link to fix (PC ONLY) is in the link

Inquery: for those who feel the lovely black bar that fills the screen is great, will you also use tape on your HDTV on the next game?

I don't have a problem with black bars, I didn't even notice it at first but its always better to have options.

Mr Rivuz

No black bars, no cinematic bs, no 24 fps, no vaseline/duct tape and more importantly FIXED FOV, no 45 angle.

Inquery: for those who feel the lovely black bar that fills the screen is great, will you also use tape on your HDTV on the next game?
It's so much better without those useless bars, will buy the game only if they patch the ps4 version to add an option for removing them, or when i will have a good enough pc to run it.

-MD-

It's so much better without those useless bars, will buy the game only if they patch the ps4 version to add an option for removing them, or when i will have a good enough pc to run it.

I see no chance of this happening, it'd cripple the game on consoles I'm sure.

I watched Gamesradar review of this and I was surprised by what I found. I recalled the game being in a first person perspective when it was first revealed. Did the game also retain the random generated pathways so that no two experiences are exactly alike?

Scoot2005

Banned
Fuck the invisible cunts are annoying. Do they pop up for the rest of the game?

I always like to walk through a door and run around with it chasing me. Right when the door is about to close you run through it and the thing gets trapped on the other side. Then it proceeds to bang on the door until it opens... And then you shoot. Preferably with the shotty. Put's them on their ass and the door has enough time to close. Rinse and repeat if you can't find the body to burn while it's on the ground. I don't even know if you can burn the invisible ones like that.

psychotron

Yeah I'm kind of depressed at the amount of shotty shells I wasted on them.

The first time I encountered one I thought the game glitched, lol.

Door swung open, I'm aiming ready for a fight, and nothing. Then all the sudden the bastard is right on top of me.

I can see the issue with the borders. Kind of a snobby move by Bethesda. Sure, the game looks amazing on my 60" 4K LCD; but I'm in a rarefied air with my HDTV obsessions. . .
It would look even more amazing on your 60" 4K LCD if it wasn't needlessly letterboxed!

I'm playing on a 50" and while I've adjusted for the most part it still annoys me from time to time. There is just way too much unused space that would be better suited to giving me a broader view of my surroundings.

Mupod

I almost wish the thread title was 'BAD STEALTH TUTORIAL ENDS IN CHAPTER 3', maybe that'd stop people from quitting out after 15 minutes and coming in to complain.

SO. With Chapter 5
Laura seems to dodge the bodies I burn. Do I have to stand right next to it and have her right next to me to get this to work?

I was waiting for her short range teleport before dropping my match. She'd reappear right in the fire.

I don't fuck with those. I just throw a bottle at them, or shoot them.

Every bomb is another potential flash arrow. Also haven't fucked up disarming one yet, but I dread the day when I open that thing up and it's a tiny sliver of blue.

Nah, but remember that you actually have to stealth kill them, i.e. crouch behind them while they are stunned.

If it's like flash bombs, you can crouch from the front. I haven't tried bottles yet though.

ced

Fuck I can't stand the FOV and letterboxes, it really cripples the game. I never had issues in Dragon's Dogma after a few minutes, it sucks here though.

I'm not feeling this at all, I'm at ch 3 and will give it another shot but this is coming off as a huge disappointment so far.

I had issues getting into RE4 at the first village encounter, and it ended up being one of my favorite games so I need to keep at this one.

I almost wish the thread title was 'BAD STEALTH TUTORIAL ENDS IN CHAPTER 3', maybe that'd stop people from quitting out after 15 minutes and coming in to complain.

It's part of the game, we have every right to complain.

Scoot2005

Banned
MUPOD. Thanks for the info and I agree with the first line in your post.

Are you standing next to a body when you do this?
Or is she able to be damaged while teleporting?

Mupod

MUPOD. Thanks for the info and I agree with the first line in your post.

Are you standing next to a body when you do this?
Or is she able to be damaged while teleporting?

Yeah I just stood there and waited for her. The teleport is obviously there to freak you out a bit when she's approaching but it's predictable. Also bear in mind there's more to the fight than just burning her a bunch of times.

Scoot2005

Banned
Yeah I just stood there and waited for her. The teleport is obviously there to freak you out a bit when she's approaching but it's predictable. Also bear in mind there's more to the fight than just burning her a bunch of times.

Such as?
I died numerous times so elaborate. I know she can take damage from weapons also. I can manage to burn her about 4 times before shit goes south.

Edit - Like the Avatar.

Ricker

Ok I'm at the start of Chapter 6,in the save/upgrade chair place and the mirrors arent active....I cant get out of there to go on lol...is this a known glitch(PS4)...I didnt try restart chapter though which hopefully fixes this and since its at the start no big deal,just strange...

This is awesome. Fuck those shitty black bars and the "way it was meant to be played" BS.

KDC720

Ok I'm at the start of Chapter 6,in the save/upgrade chair place and the mirrors arent active....I cant get out of there to go on lol...is this a known glitch(PS4)...I didnt try restart chapter though which hopefully fixes this and since its at the start no big deal,just strange...

Its supposed to happen. You have to go look at some
documents on the table in the back room. Stumped me for a bit too.

aravuus

Finished! Honestly, despite not being a fan of TPSs or survival horror games, I fucking loved it. Really liked the story and aside from chapters 6 and 11, it was actually fun to play too. Pretty massive surprise hit for me. Only took me 8 hours and 15 deaths since I was playing on casual and tbf, most of the deaths were because of the game. Like not being able to heal or shoot while crouching killed me like 4 times. So stupid.

Since there's been lots of comparisons to RE4 though, I think I finally really have to play that game. Hopefully any of the PC versions actually work, iirc the ports haven't been great.

bigmac996

SO. With Chapter 5

I just burned the bodies right away so she wouldn't be capable of teleporting, and instead used both torches, oil drums and both fire pits to kill her in survival mode. Took a couple tries but its not big deal. Best strategy is to move to the right straight away, burn the body, get her to spawn and immediately sprint to your right into the fire pit room and up the ladder so you can open the trap before she catches up to you. Right down the stairs after that point is a torch you can immediately use on her, then use a match on body 2. From there you run across an oil drum, get her to come by and shoot it, then move into the next fire pit room. Once you've burned her, grab the torch just outside, use it and then run up the stairs to the next oil can and you're good.

Broke down and finally used the double barrel early in chapter 4.

tumblr_melq00P0mN1r1z1zdo2_r1_500.gif

delicious.

aravuus

Still not sure who
Kidman
actually was though. Was
she
helping
the other doctor
? The old one, can't remember his name.

e: or
the only doctor i suppose if you don't count ruvik

e2:
jimenez
i think

Elitist1945

Any particular way to beat the
chainsaw guy
in Chapter 3? As far as I can tell I need the
chainsaw
to open the gate.

Mupod

Any particular way to beat the
chainsaw guy
in Chapter 3? As far as I can tell I need the
chainsaw
to open the gate.

There's traps and shit in the environment, but the easiest way is to find the Agony Crossbow on the second floor of one of the buildings (not the barn). If you dismantle traps you get parts to make explosive bolts which fuck him up good. There's some harpoons lying around too, I'd imagine they hurt as well. It seems all the other enemies despawn once you kill him (or maybe once the gate is open?)

Daximuss

Broke down and finally used the double barrel early in chapter 4.

tumblr_melq00P0mN1r1z1zdo2_r1_500.gif

delicious.

In chapter 3 I noticed I had the double barrel shotgun and loved using it.
I then found the pump shotgun in chapter 3 and now I don't see the double barrel in my inventory. Did the pump shotgun replace it?

Scoot2005

Banned
I then found the pump shotgun in chapter 3 and now I don't see the double barrel in my inventory. Did the pump shotgun replace it?

No. While in the inventory menu hit square to switch to the double barrel. Same for your crossbow bolts.

JimPanzer

press square when you have selected the shotgun in the inventroy to cycle through

haikira

Just completed chapter 6, and I'm loving the game so far. There are definitely some rough edges to look past, performance being numero uno, but this is just the kind of game I've been waiting for.

Actually took today, and tomorrow off work, with the main purpose being just to unwind and enjoy this. Going to take a short break now, then get stuck back in. I'll probably post lengthy impressions after I'm finished.

That Chapter 7 boss. Wow. Really frustrating even before you factor in the
poisonous gas and its ability to one hit kill you

Please tell me there's nothing else that annoying in the rest of the game >_>

Elitist1945

There's traps and shit in the environment, but the easiest way is to find the Agony Crossbow on the second floor of one of the buildings (not the barn). If you dismantle traps you get parts to make explosive bolts which fuck him up good. There's some harpoons lying around too, I'd imagine they hurt as well. It seems all the other enemies despawn once you kill him (or maybe once the gate is open?)

Thanks good sir. 3 explosive bolts, a shotgun blast, and 3 shots from my revolver did the trick.

Top Bottom