• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I've been itching to get back into this game so bad. Still stuck in chapter 3 since I haven't had any time to play between work and gym the last few days. Tonight though...good lord tonight. Gonna make dinner, then get some bourbon and play this until the sun comes up. Take a swig each time I die or clear a chapter.

-MD-

Also, chapter 1 and 2 are considered the "worst" chapters of the game by many, just so you know.

Personally, chapter 1 and 2 are so much more enjoyable than the utter shite that are chapters 6 and 7. Basically everything up to the end of chapter 5 was great. Since then it's been an enormous drop in quality.

Agree with chapters 1-2 being better than chapter 6. I really enjoyed chapter 7 though.

Chapters 4-7 are all pretty great so IDK where "drop in quality" talk comes from. You could have an entire 3 month course on Chapter 1 titled "How to NOT Start Your Game 101" it was that bad.

I pretty much knew everything there was in Chapter 1 and I still loved it, replayed it twice for testing purposes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Chapters 4-7 are all pretty great so IDK where "drop in quality" talk comes from. You could have an entire 3 month course on Chapter 1 titled "How to NOT Start Your Game 101" it was that bad.

I fully agree, I really like how they progression went so far. I am currently in 6, and while its true that the chapters do mix things up a bit, I really enjoy what I am playing because every chapter feels a bit different from the one before.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I kinda figured that out based on the track record they have with their PS3 games. Pretty sure Oblivion, Skyrim, and the Fallout games all had problems on PS3.

Yeah, should be expected, but I somehow hoped that Mikami supervision would have been of some help.
We can blame Capcom for many reason about RE series, but they have always been able to take care of their main episodes in terms of tearing, framerate, and so on.
I miss the attention spent on RE4 for example.
this is, generally speaking, something I really like in Japanese developers

JoeFenix

Akumu difficulty +
Suicidal Joseph AI
on chapter 6 = Jank city central.

First time I felt the game was just being unfair,
Joseph kept running into spike traps and killing himself
, there really wasn't anything I could do.

Also cutscenes (like showing you a key objective during gameplay) don't pause the action while they're happening so you regain control just to get hit in the face by a mob of enemies that weren't anywhere near you before the cutscene began. Annoying on normal difficulty settings but a game ender on Akumu. They need to fix that, it's pretty amateurish stuff.

I'm OK with having to
defend Joseph because he's actually pretty capable in battle but having him just suicide twice in a row really pissed me off.

Lucent

Yeah, should be expected, but I somehow hoped that Mikami supervision would have been of some help.
We can blame Capcom for many reason about RE series, but they have always been able to take care of their main episodes in terms of tearing, framerate, and so on.
I miss the attention spent on RE4 for example.
this is, generally speaking, something I really like in Japanese developers

Yeah. RE4 was really polished and had no problems. At least on the platforms I've played it on (Gamecube/PS3).

Gurish

Akumu difficulty + Suicidal Joseph AI on chapter 6.... jank city central.

First time I felt the game was just being unfair, Joseph kept running into spike traps and killing himself, there really wasn't anything I could do.

Also cutscenes (like showing you a key objective during gameplay) don't pause the action while they're happening so you regain control just to get hit in the face by a mob of enemies that weren't anywhere near you before the cutscene began. Annoying on normal difficulty settings but a game ender on Akumu. They need to fix that, it's pretty amateurish stuff.

I'm OK with having to defend Joseph because he's actually pretty capable in battle but having him just suicide twice in a row really pissed me off.

FFS use a spoiler tag, what so hard to understand? some of us didn't make it to chapter 6 yet and i don't want to know gameplay details from there and who I'm playing with. goddamnit.

I actually had a moment of "This is no fun" after my fifth death on Chapter one with no clue where to go. But then I found a bottle almost by accident and then it "clicked." I really think chapter 1 had the chance to be a solid introduction, but maybe needed some more tweaking to make sure people get that "click" moment. Everything after it seems to have a decent balance of "you need to do this" and "figure it out yourself" moments, just the beginning maybe needed a touch more the former.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Akumu difficulty + Suicidal Joseph AI on chapter 6.... jank city central.

First time I felt the game was just being unfair, Joseph kept running into spike traps and killing himself, there really wasn't anything I could do.

I'm OK with having to defend Joseph because he's actually pretty capable in battle but having him just suicide twice in a row really pissed me off.

I hadn't really thought about how the AI managing was going to be on Akumu. I doubt they die in one hit but probably have a lot less health I'd take it. I never had them be dumb with the spike traps on normal though and don't think they ever died to them, so I find that interesting.

I did notice the cutscene thing you mention though in chapter 4
when you need to run to the door that's closing in the section with Laura. On Akumu the cutscene began and as soon as it ended, I found I was immediately in the death animation with Laura.

It didn't really annoy me since it happened once and there was a checkpoint right before this scene, but it is something for them to think about fixing.

I pretty much knew everything there was in Chapter 1 and I still loved it, replayed it twice for testing purposes.

Chapter 1 is "hold up for scripted limping." Not fun the first time, and will be hell on replays. Chapter 6 is stuffed full of great encounters,
you get the Rifle, and Joseph's being a badass.

Gimme Ch. 6 all day. Toss Ch. 1 in the bushes and don't look back.

JoeFenix

FFS use a spoiler tag, what so hard to understand? some of us didn't make it to chapter 6 yet and i don't want to know gameplay details from there and who I'm playing with. goddamnit.

Sorry, I was tired and didn't think that this could be considered a spoiler. Hopefully it won't ruin your experience.

Might also want to edit my post in your quote to get rid of the spoilers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
chapter six was a nice culmination of all the combat stuff you'd been exposed to so far

I always felt like I *barely* barely had enough resources. I really respect that. From a game design perspective, you get to eat your cake and have it too. You get the dramatic action scenes, but you also get that resource hunger. What's the last game that really even tried to do this? Dead Space 1?

I upgraded my stock and capacity for my shotgun, handgun and matches once or twice, but after chapter three or four, I never had max capacity, so those upgrades felt pointless.

-MD-

chapter six was a nice culmination of all the combat stuff you'd been exposed to so far

I always felt like I *barely* barely had enough resources. I really respect that. From a game design perspective, you get to eat your cake and have it too. You get the dramatic action scenes, but you also get that resource hunger. What's the last game that really even tried to do this? Dead Space 1?

I upgraded my stock and capacity for my shotgun, handgun and matches once or twice, but after chapter three or four, I never had max capacity, so those upgrades felt pointless.

Even Dead Space 1 I was never super starved for ammo, when I loaded up my TEW save earlier I had 3 pistol rounds, 1 bolt, 2 shotgun shells and a nade (the first 4-5 chapters I had tons of ammo).

I've never completely run out but I love that it gets close enough to worry me at times, very well done.

JimPanzer

I really don't get the complaints about chapter one. I don't consider me a utterly smart player and I suck at Metal Gear Solid, but I instantly knew how to tackle this thing. Died once, only because I got excited and thought the big guy couldn't see me anymore. Maybe playing TLOU on Survivor before TEW helped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah. RE4 was really polished and had no problems. At least on the platforms I've played it on (Gamecube/PS3).

Polished is the right word!
and the opposite for this one instead...just to clarify, I loved the two chapters I played.

Sch1sm

What's the cheapest way to get this on steam?

There is no cheap way, currently. Game's only been out two days, no price drops anywhere for a good while. I mean, the best possible at this age of the game is a $5 off for a refurbished PS4/XB1/PS3/360 version. No dice.

Lucent

Even Dead Space 1 I was never super starved for ammo, when I loaded up my TEW save earlier I had 3 pistol rounds, 1 bolt, 2 shotgun shells and a nade (the first 4-5 chapters I had tons of ammo).

I've never completely run out but I love that it gets close enough to worry me at times, very well done.

I think I'm playing way too carefully and taking advantage of the checkpoints and stuff because I've generally got a good amount of ammo all the time. I just finished chapter 8 though and feel like that might change if I don't find more matches. Been using those and trying to use harpoons to save ammo when I can, but I have very few bolt flavors left at the moment. I sometimes kill myself on purpose if I make stupid mistakes or feel I can do better now that I know what to do.

But the ammo drops can be random. In the last chapter I played I broke a box and nothing was in it. And I died shortly after. Broke it again and there was a syringe. The game can sort of go different ways with people I guess depending on how they go about it and how lucky they get.

I only played the opening bit, but i love the visuals. Acting and dialogue seems pretty terribad. The borders, i can see what they were aiming for, as it does look kinda cool, but real talk Tango games, not everyone games on a 40" TV, i was playing on a small-ish monitor (26" i think) and those bars are so bad it feels like about 50% of my screen is missing.

I can see the issue with the borders. Kind of a snobby move by Bethesda. Sure, the game looks amazing on my 60" 4K LCD; but I'm in a rarefied air with my HDTV obsessions. . .

pa22word

What's the cheapest way to get this on steam?

100% legit? Use the 25% off code running atm on GMG, probably. There's a dude over in the BST thread in Gaming Community who's selling reverse imported gift copies for cheap, but there's no telling when Valve might suddenly drop a hammer on people doing it, like they did with key resellers, so if you buy from them do so at your own risk.

-MD-

I think I'm playing way too carefully and taking advantage of the checkpoints and stuff because I've generally got a good amount of ammo all the time. I just finished chapter 8 though and feel like that might change if I don't find more matches. Been using those and trying to use harpoons to save ammo when I can, but I have very few bolt flavors left at the moment. I sometimes kill myself on purpose if I make stupid mistakes or feel I can do better now that I know what to do.

But the ammo drops can be random. In the last chapter I played I broke a box and nothing was in it. And I died shortly after. Broke it again and there was a syringe. The game can sort of go different ways with people I guess depending on how they go about it and how lucky they get.

I'm playing carefully as well and using traps to even conserve ammo, I swear the last 20 ammo pick ups have been 1-2 bullets each. Chapter 8 is where I last left off and I only found half a dozen rounds that whole chapter.

It does seem very random, I'm not complaining at all, I love it.

Yibby

I skipped a whole section of enemies to safe ammo. That was around chapter 11, i just ran to the "Exit" and ignored maybe 20 enemies.

For the final chapters you get more and more ressources and ammo. I went from 0 scrap (to craft bolts) to around 40 in just one chapter.

Ataraxia

Oh what i would give to play RE4 for the first time again, your probably gonna have a good time haha

Same here. I want to hear what people have to say after playing RE4 for the first time. It's a bit dated now, and the fact that you can't run and shoot at the same time would probably turn some people off.

This game is great at giving you just enough ammo for you to always feel like you don't have enough. There is a careful balance to ensure you don't actively avoid fights all the time and I think it hits it, usually I can get by with what I have and be left with a couple rounds at the end. I am really impressed at how far they took the survival aspect, I did not expect them to make resources so scarce in a modern AAA game.

Same here. I want to hear what people have to say after playing RE4 for the first time. It's a bit dated now, and the fact that you can't run and shoot at the same time would probably turn some people off.

It probably will turn a lot of people off, but I would hope they could get past that to see how good the game really is haha

Drewfonse

Played the opening chapter and it wasn't that great, but I was prepared for that. The black bars are indeed huge, and the overall visual quality left a lot to be desired. Playing the PS4 version on a nice Plasma.

I'm looking forward to playing more later. Do the visuals become more impressive as the game goes? The lighting is pretty good.

I'm looking forward to playing more later. Do the visuals become more impressive as the game goes? The lighting is pretty good.
I think the game actually has some really impressive locales, and the overall quality of the texture work is much better than other idtech5 games. Hard to say though given you're playing on the PS4, I have the PC version and I played from 3200x1800 so the IQ was far better. I tried 1080P for a few minutes and idtech5's aliasing is still really awful without downsampling! If nothing else there's some great shadow work and lighting so the atmosphere never falters.

Can someone explain to me how to get the Bloody Bar Brawl achievement? I've thrown bottles at people and then stealth killed them later and didn't get it.

I'm up to what I assume is the last part of chapter 5
being chased around by the long haired thing in the furnace

And Im loving parts while really not liking others. The insta death stuff at times is bullshit, as were the
invisible monsters
in the previous chapter

The combat is horrendous. Although I don't think my Xbox One controller is helping, it seems to have developed a problem with the right stick constantly wanting to move up

greenfish

Banned
Here's how the game was meant to be played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG8xplgjic

No black bars, no cinematic bs, no 24 fps, no vaseline/duct tape and more importantly FIXED FOV, no 45 angle.

Link to fix (PC ONLY) is in the link

Inquery: for those who feel the lovely black bar that fills the screen is great, will you also use tape on your HDTV on the next game?

What are the problems people have with chapter 1? I didn't think it was bad.

Yup, I don't know what the problem is as well. I loved the opening because it reminded me of the movie Se7en and it pretty much throws you in the mindfuck of things from the get go that didn't stop there and won't stop through out the entire game. I have been on a media black out with this game so I didn't know what to expect but man,
when I went for the stealth kill on the chainsaw dude and saw what he did to me
, It just left a huge stupid grin on my face because it set the mood pretty damn quick for what I was going to be into with this game. The mindfuckery pretty much didn't stop, I'm at CH13 now and yup, the game just gets crazier and crazier in unexpecting ways.

Rizzi

So.. this is a stealth game. Except the contols are awful and I can't see anything because of the letterboxing. Yaaay..

Bl@de

Here's how the game was meant to be played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG8xplgjic

No black bars, no cinematic bs, no 24 fps, no vaseline/duct tape and more importantly FIXED FOV, no 45 angle.

Link to fix (PC ONLY) is in the link

Inquery: for those who feel the lovely black bar that fills the screen is great, will you also use tape on your HDTV on the next game?

The only problem with the fix ... you turn on the lamp and are blinded by lens flare and bloom while you run around. A situation you normaly don't have because the bars start at Sebastians hip. It's terribly annoying when walking around

greenfish

Banned
The only problem with the fix ... you turn on the lamp and are blinded by lens flare and bloom while you run around. A situation you normaly don't have because the bars start at Sebastians hip. It's terribly annoying when walking around

Yeah it's not perfect but Hayden over at flawlesswidescreen might have a better solution when he's done with the app

No this is not a stealth game, what ever gave you that idea?
I don't know, it's a pretty viable option in more than half of the chapters of the game. I don't agree with the controls being awful though, they work well and I never ran into an issue while sneaking other than being inpatient and fucking up. Although there were times where I couldn't get Sebastion to turn all the way while crouched, not really a big deal though.

-MD-

So.. this is a stealth game. Except the contols are awful and I can't see anything because of the letterboxing. Yaaay..

The controls are fine and no this isn't a full blown stealth game, it has a stealth mechanic though.

Jinjo

I'm up to what I assume is the last part of chapter 5
being chased around by the long haired thing in the furnace

And Im loving parts while really not liking others. The insta death stuff at times is bullshit, as were the
invisible monsters
in the previous chapter

The combat is horrendous. Although I don't think my Xbox One controller is helping, it seems to have developed a problem with the right stick constantly wanting to move up

I just got past that part and I agree. The combat is not good and that will become even more obvious in the next chapter. Sebastian is unresponsive and the FOV sucks. Not that bothered by the black bars personally. For getting resident evil 4 so right it's strange they messed up that part of the game. When there is no fighting the game is scary and tense though.

Ricker

I stealthed in chapter 1,2 and for half of the morons in 3....good luck after that(well at least up to chapter 5,where I am at now)...useful though for tripwires and bombs...after dying twice from the stupid mini game bomb thing,I just sneak past them now or shoot the damn things lol...

Letterboxing gives me a headache. >.<

The letter-boxing didn't bother me early on, but I've played through Chapter 6 now and it is starting to bother me. It's making me feel very claustrophobic, especially since the game has a lot of close-quarters fighting--I need as much screen as possible!

Top Bottom