• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Jeez, that does sound pretty tough. Chapter 11 is the one chapter I'm really, really worried about given the prevalence of
machine gun enemies
. We'll see though, going to give it a few days before I start.

Is it known if you unlock anything for beating it yet? There's the achievement of course, but one hopes you unlock a crazy costume or sometime.

Jeez, that does sound pretty tough. Chapter 11 is the one chapter I'm really, really worried about given the
prevalence of machine gun enemies
. We'll see though, going to give it a few days before I start.

Is it known if you unlock anything for beating it yet? There's the achievement of course, but one hopes you unlock a crazy costume or sometime.

you should prob spoiler tag that just to be safe, i haven't played it, and didn't know there were those types of enemies yet, just letting you know in case someone gets mad lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Not yet, as there's no guide for the game I don't think anyone's actually 100% the Evil Within yet. I'm very very close to getting all the map fragments to see if that does anything (one more to go, but I don't think it will), and I haven't heard of anyone beating Akumu mode yet.

I'd think it'd unlock something being a Mikami game, though.

Lucent

Regarding the four doors in the save hall. I noticed there's one symbol on one, two on another, and three on the other. Do they eventually open at all?

Managed to beat the game, though I never figured out a good way of handling the
Ruvik look-alike haunted
. Most of the time when I tried to sneak up on them, they would just turn around at the very last second, leaving me no other choice than to shoot my way through.

I think I died about 20 times trying to sneak in the first chapter, then I just ran and it worked fine....really stupid/funny. This is coming from playing hundreds of hours of the original Thief...lol.

Anyways, ch2 was good and chapter 3 really impressed me. I had a ton of fun. 4 was fine also but I think I missed a huge chunk of it. I'm really looking forward to playing more.
I come from a background of having played RE1 and 2, SH1, and that's about it for those two series.
I have never played RE4, though I've wanted to for years. I plan on buying that during the Steam sale. Glad I waited though, so I could play this with fresh eyes.

I think I died about 20 times trying to sneak in the first chapter, then I just ran and it worked fine....really stupid/funny. This is coming from playing hundreds of hours of the original Thief...lol.

Anyways, ch2 was good and chapter 3 really impressed me. I had a ton of fun. 4 was fine also but I think I missed a huge chunk of it. I'm really looking forward to playing more.
I come from a background of having played RE1 and 2, SH1, and that's about it for those two series.
I have never played RE4, though I've wanted to for years. I plan on buying that during the Steam sale. Glad I waited though, so I could play this with fresh eyes.

Oh what i would give to play RE4 for the first time again, your probably gonna have a good time haha

ryan13ts

I finally figured out how to turn off the gas to get to that other area in Ch. 7. Turns out that if I went the other path first, I would have been able to turn the gas off first, and then that area would have been clear of gas to get down to the key/exp.

Thanks to Northeastmonk and others for helping me figure this out.

Any tips for (Ch. 6)
dog boss
? It's very rare that I have to seek out advice for a game, but after
Joseph glitching out in the first large area and not helping me at all, then the twins repeatedly stomping me, then this beast and his seemingly unavoidable charge attacks
I'm past the point of frustration with this game. Furthermore, I don't see how this boss would even be possible on Akumu mode unless I'm completely overlooking something.

Tagged the enemy type above, sorry!
Any tips for (Ch. 6)
dog boss
Joseph glitching out in the first large area and not helping me at all, then the twins repeatedly stomping me, then this beast and his seemingly unavoidable charge attacks
I'm past the point of frustration with this game. Furthermore, I don't see how this boss would even be possible on Akumu mode unless I'm completely overlooking something.

Use shock bolts to stun him and then deal damage. When you run out of those use freeze bolts. If you haven't finished him off by that point use focus bolts. And of course you can just dodge his attacks by running to the side but it's tougher to pull off.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You're playing it on a last-gen console. What do you expect?

a decent game, tech-wise?
I'm not complaining about it not being on par with PS4 version, I'm complaining about it being way worse than many many many other ps3 games.
it's not that PS3 is not capable of managing 30fps or avoid tearing, you know?
Bethesda didn't care

Oh what i would give to play RE4 for the first time again, your probably gonna have a good time haha

It's funny, when it first came out I didn't have a Gamecube, and then when it came out for Wii I was considering it, but I heard it was going to be remastered for PS3. By the time that came out, I realized I hated the PS3 controller for shooters because of the spongy R2 and I decided against it. Then they eventually announced/brought out the HD remake for PC, but by then Evil Within was already announced so I've held off just so I didn't have to compare the two....it's been a long time waiting for RE4.

It's funny, when it first came out I didn't have a Gamecube, and then when it came out for Wii I was considering it, but I heard it was going to be remastered for PS3. By the time that came out, I realized I hated the PS3 controller for shooters because of the spongy R2 and I decided against it. Then they eventually announced/brought out the HD remake for PC, but by then Evil Within was already announced so I've held off just so I didn't have to compare the two....it's been a long time waiting for RE4.

Have fun with it, its one of my favorites! its got alot of charm!

Ban Puncher

Picked up TEW today on Australian release. I don't notice the black bars when I start playing but instead the game breaking immersion comes from Sebastian who runs like he has shit his pants and the poor camera man following him is violently convulsing, trying not to throw up because of the putrid smell.

Have to crouch-walk everywhere just to not look silly.

Lucent

a decent game, tech-wise?
I'm not complaining about it not being on par with PS4 version, I'm complaining about it being way worse than many many many other ps3 games.
it's not that PS3 is not capable of managing 30fps or avoid tearing, you know?
Bethesda didn't care

I kinda figured that out based on the track record they have with their PS3 games. Pretty sure Oblivion, Skyrim, and the Fallout games all had problems on PS3.

Tagged the enemy type above, sorry!

Use shock bolts to stun him and then deal damage. When you run out of those use freeze bolts. If you haven't finished him off by that point use focus bolts. And of course you can just dodge his attacks by running to the side but it's tougher to pull off.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do (that ammo type being found in the environment was a big hint), but I miss as often as I score a hit thanks to the godawful aiming
of the crossbow
in this game. Thanks though.

Lucent

Picked up TEW today on Australian release. I don't notice the black bars when I start playing but instead the game breaking immersion comes from Sebastian who runs like he has shit his pants and the poor camera man following him is violently convulsing, trying not to throw up because of the putrid smell.

Have to crouch-walk everywhere just to not look silly.

It's really not that bad. =/

I beat the game. Destroys Resident Evil 4-6 in every possible way. The atmosphere alone makes those games look like Blues Clues. Mikami's best work IMO.

-MD-

I have a question about chapter 8.

When you get to the "puzzle" with the enemy pinned to the wall and you pick up the slab with a face/bloody face and you insert it into the door, how are you supposed to know which side to choose? What's the clue there?

I looked around but ultimately just guessed and got it wrong the first time.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I have a question about chapter 8.

When you get to the "puzzle" with the enemy pinned to the wall and you pick up the slab with a face/bloody face and you insert it into the door, how are you supposed to know which side to choose? What's the clue there?

I looked around but ultimately just guessed and got it wrong the first time.

The wrong side has blood because the woman who is there impaled tried it before you did, the file you find it on the corpse explains that.

-MD-

The wrong side has blood because the woman who is there impaled tried it before you did, the file you find it on the corpse explains that.

K4NIpbA.jpg

Oops, thanks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any tips for (Ch. 6)
dog boss

When the dog goes into the bushes get out your shotgun and shoot it while it charges at you, it'll fall over and slide on the ground. Then you can switch to crossbow or keep the shotty out and fuck it up.

Lucent

Damn. That
Keeper guy was annoying. Finding your way through the fog and making sure he's not around when using the valves. Don't really have time to disarm his traps or he'll be on your ass with that hammer.

Damn. That
Keeper guy was annoying. Finding your way through the fog and making sure he's not around when using the valves. Don't really have time to disarm his traps or he'll be on your ass with that hammer.
Chapter 7
They're super easy though, one explosive crossbow and a harpoon shot will take them out. If you need some space just use a freeze bolt

Gurish

Any one knows (without spoiling too much) what are we suppose to get with the season pass and when it suppose to come out?

I'm having a blast with this game and I'm considering purchasing it for the October 15$ for 100$ sale.

-MD-

Any one knows (without spoiling too much) what are we suppose to get with the season pass and when it suppose to come out?

I'm having a blast with this game and I'm considering purchasing it for the October 15$ for 100$ sale.

2 pieces of campaign DLC with Juli in the lead and some challenge maps/mode starring one of the big baddies in the game.

Don't believe we've gotten a date yet.

pa22word

Played the game for about half an hour and it is not doing it for me in any way, shape, or form. Thus far it plays like one of those B setpiece gore horror movies of today that universally suck ass for anything other than watching it with friends and laughing at it, with an anime-esque spin due to the wonky dialog, awful facial animation, and teleporting mystery man slitting people's throats.

I really hope this gets better, because based on what I've played of it it's probably the most disappointing games I've played this year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Three DLC pieces. First one is some sort of mission-based challenge maps deal where you play the The Keeper (Boxman), no other details than that. The other two DLC pieces is a two part story campaign DLC which has new areas, enemies, cutscenes and story, featuring Juli as the playable character and her story during the course of the game. No details of release dates, it sounds like they just started working on these recently.

Dr Dogg

Oh for those of you on the fence for The Evil Within but are tempted to go grab the artbook for the love of everything spoilery don't look in side it. Within 10 pages I'm already going 'Hmmm why does he look like that?' read the caption and Bam! Spoilered! Though seeing some of the various outfit designs the art team were looking at for Julie was quite interesting, one has
cat ears

Lucent

Played the game for about half an hour and it is not doing it for me in any way, shape, or form. Thus far it plays like one of those B setpiece gore horror movies of today that universally suck ass for anything other than watching it with friends and laughing at it, with an anime-esque spin due to the wonky dialog, awful facial animation, and teleporting mystery man slitting people's throats.

I really hope this gets better, because based on what I've played of it it's probably the most disappointing games I've played this year.

Sounds like you've only done the first chapter. It gets better. I'd say if you don't like how the game is by the end of chapter 3 you'll probably not like the rest.

Half an hour...i would at least play some more before spreading doom and gloom of this magnitude.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. I'll post some proper impressions later, but I thought the game really hit its stride by chapter five, but the last chapter... I could have done without most of it. Including that last boss. Yeesh.

This game was at its best in moments like chapter 11, where I had to kill a bunch or enemies but knew I only have a few rounds to do it with. Magyvering them was super satisfying.

Also, again: holy shit, this game looked incredible. (Outside of the chapter fifteen
brain wall sections.

13:59:55
86 deaths (half of which were probably in the chapter fifteen
final wire trap

Jyester

If you see my post from some pages back, I felt the same way after finishing chapter 2, which I felt was way worse than 1. However, the game picks up and I had a lot of fun with c3-5 yesterday.

pa22word

Sounds like you've only done the first chapter. It gets better. I'd say if you don't like how the game is by the end of chapter 3 you'll probably not like the rest.
Yeah I'm planning to keep playing it so hopefully it gets better.
Half an hour...i would at least play some more before spreading doom and gloom of this magnitude.
Doom and gloom? What? I'm hardly damming the game yet, it just totally caught me off guard how unapologetically awful the opening of this game is coming from the man who helmed vanquish and re4, the latter of which has probably my favorite opening segment of any game ever. Like...there's just nothing redeeming in it at all. Bad intro that leaves you with zero context of the world or where you are, leaving the game world feeling completely artificial and destroying any immersion, dialogue that feels like it's out of a bad Square translation from the 90s, awful setpieces that feel like they were designed by someone who played all the most popular horror games last gen and decided to throw all the bad tropes from them back to back with laughable execution, etc. Just wow...nothing at all feels good about it. The only thing I like about it thus far is the lighting and how the aspect ratio helps with peeking around corners.

derFeef

This is a 15 hour or more game, you played 3% of it and already consider it one of the most disappointing games of the year. Congrats, hyperbole has reached a new heigth.

Also, chapter 1 and 2 are considered the "worst" chapters of the game by many, just so you know.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding weapons:

I never found the
automatic handgun, burst handgun or brass knuckles.
Are they unlockables?

pa22word

Congrats, hyperbole has reached a new heigth.

Not at all. Even if the game drastically improves and ends up being great for me, I'll still probably hold this up as a new low in my "games with shit openings" category. Like if I had gotten this on a steam sale for $5 and had no outside context of the game's development I probably would have ditched it without a second thought and never played it again. Mikami and my love for RE4 is pretty much the only thing that kept me from uninstalling it and going to play more A:I.

Carbonox

This is a 15 hour or more game, you played 3% of it and already consider it one of the most disappointing games of the year. Congrats, hyperbole has reached a new heigth.

Also, chapter 1 and 2 are considered the "worst" chapters of the game by many, just so you know.

Personally, chapter 1 and 2 are so much more enjoyable than the utter shite that are chapters 6 and 7. Basically everything up to the end of chapter 5 was great. Since then it's been an enormous drop in quality.

Lucent

Personally, chapter 1 and 2 are so much more enjoyable than the utter shite that are chapters 6 and 7. Basically everything up to the end of chapter 5 was great. Since then it's been an enormous drop in quality.

I kind of agree on 6 but I actually really liked 7.

I only played the opening bit, but i love the visuals. Acting and dialogue seems pretty terribad. The borders, i can see what they were aiming for, as it does look kinda cool, but real talk Tango games, not everyone games on a 40" TV, i was playing on a small-ish monitor (26" i think) and those bars are so bad it feels like about 50% of my screen is missing.

Chapters 4-7 are all pretty great so IDK where "drop in quality" talk comes from. You could have an entire 3 month course on Chapter 1 titled "How to NOT Start Your Game 101" it was that bad.

Top Bottom