• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

The environments look really good and are well designed, but I don't think they're very memorable. Like, I know the layout of the Spencer Mansion by heart, I can recite the year it was built, by whom, who funded it, for what purpose. It's such a well realized location because the game is centered around that. And I'm not alone in that feeling. Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid is a place that evokes similar feelings from people. Or Brookhaven hospital in Silent Hill.

But is anybody ever gonna remember or care about the whatever it's called asylum in Evil Within? I really doubt it.

I won't remember it for the locations names persay. I'll remember it for the reason you are going to said locations and the beautiful art, and the varied look and feel, + the combat and headshots, and traps. There is a reason your at all these locations to and you can sorta peice it all together via the notes and tapes to get a broader idea. Though I can't say anymore on that.

I'm sorry but saying this game is not even a little scary is such a load of crap. I don't buy that for a second. I'm only up to chapter 5 but chapters 3 and 4 were intense and pretty fucking scary imo and I play almost all survival horror games I can get my hands on. Aside from that comment I do agree with the rest of this review though.

The game isn't scary at all. Only people that find nightmare on elm street or friday the 13th scary will be afraid here.

Really starting to lose patience with this now.
the combat and movement of the main character is shit. Even Resident Evil 6 did it better than this.
The fov is also a massive problem during that part of the game.

I think me and you are must be the only people on gaf that think this way, i'm honestly gobsmacked at how many people can let this slide, i realise the game is great and deserves heaps of praise for it's artwork and locations but shouldn't that mean it deserves fixing more than resident evil 6 did.
I never thought i'd see a camera and fov as bad, if not worse than resident evil 6 again, especially so soon.

The game isn't scary at all. Only people that find nightmare on elm street or friday the 13th scary will be afraid here.
Yea, not sure the game is scary. Tense? You bet.
I think me and you are must be the only people on gaf that think this way, i'm honestly gobsmacked at how many people can let this slide, i realise the game is great and deserves heaps of praise for it's artwork and locations but shouldn't that mean it deserves fixing more than resident evil 6 did.
I never thought i'd see a camera and fov as bad, if not worse than resident evil 6 again, especially so soon.
There's a FOV fix on PC.

Taruranto

RE characters were mono-dimensional yeah, but least they interacted and reacted to the events around them. They had charisma. Most of them. Surely, not this one, though.

The dudes in this game have the whole world crumbling around them and don't seem very fazed by it. When you
free Joseph and reunite with Kidman
they don't bother to question the events around them, what is happening, what are these monsters, etc. I was surprised when Joseph just started shooting, not even wanting to know if these monsters are humans or not!

On the top of that, RE story was essentially a B-Tier horror movie, it was less pretentious and more easy to swallow. This game does tickle your interest in the same way Silent Hill does, but after the intro... nothing.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just played for half an hour. Was really excited but goddamnit this stupid as fuck FoV and the black bars are killing it for me. The view feels so restricted. It just doesnt feel right. I can't even see button prompts half the time. Feels so unrealistic and caged in. I hate it!

Edit:

Yea, not sure the game is scary. Tense? You bet.

There's a FOV fix on PC.

Whoa! Can you provide link?

antitrop

Well, the characters in those movies are actually mortally terrified of Jason and Freddy, therefore making the viewer more afraid (if they have any capacity for empathy, whatsoever).

Sebastian just seems more... confused. He's a hardened police detective, but he almost acts like he's been through this before and this all only somewhat slightly stranger than the events of a normal day.

He should probably act a bit more like a character in a Saw movie.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's a smart story. It just needs to be broken down from point A to B. If Sebastian was overcome with emotion you'd all say he was too emotional. The man's been beaten up in his life before you even start the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Im on chapter 6
the fight with the devil dog
the combat and movement of the main character is shit. Even Resident Evil 6 did it better than this.

That was by far the worst fight of the game for me so far.

It's a smart story. It just needs to be broken down from point A to B. If Sebastian was overcome with emotion you'd all say he was too emotional. The man's been beaten up in his life before you even start the game.

I really would dislike it Sebastion was screaming in fear and crying about it the whole game. Is it more realistic... probably. Yet that would be far more annyoing to me then him being just a little phased by it. I mean the game invoked the WTF is that, OMFG feels out of me, do I really need to see it from the character also? I guess it really depends what who you ask and what your looking for out of your game experiences.

Im honestly surprised a AAA game with an opening this poor is something that exists in the year of our lord AD 2014. Seriously, chapter 1 & 2 are some of the worst, jankiest, badly designed shitburgers ive ever played. Its 3rd person design straight out of 2002. The fuck am i even playing here, please tell me it gets better

slop101

Banned
This is my rant against the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Feel free to ignore if it doesn't bother you.

The whole idea of a scope (2.35:1) ratio is that it's supposed to be wider and bigger than a less wide ratio (1.78:1, for example). But on 1.78 televisions, rather than making the image bigger by adding to the sides, like a true cinema screen is supposed to do, the only thing a wider ratio does in this instance, is make the image smaller by lopping off the top and bottom.

Also, in movies, the director along with the cinematographer, create the shots specific to the aspect ratio. A lot of thought is put into how each shot is framed and what is inside the frame. Here, in a videogame, we control the camera, so shot placement is irrelevant and arbitrary. What we end up with is a smaller field of vision, one which we have to keep adjusting the camera for to see properly.

Further, for anyone who says it makes the game more "cinematic", bullocks to that! I'm playing a fucking videogame in my living room. If I wanted something cinematic, I'd go to the fucking cinema. Cinematic is nice, for movies, but it gets in the way of immersion, which is of utmost importance to a videogame, especially one like Evil Within.

Im honestly surprised a AAA game with an opening this poor is something that exists in the year of our lord AD 2014. Seriously, chapter 1 & 2 are some of the worst, jankiest, badly designed shitburgers ive ever played. Its 3rd person design straight out of 2002. The fuck am i even playing here, please tell me it gets better

That really depends who you ask. No one can really answer that for you.

The game basically starts in chapter 3. The beginning leaves a really bad impression. If you still aren't enjoying it by chapter 5/6 then you won't like the rest of the game.

antitrop

I really would dislike it Sebastion was screaming in fear and crying about it the whole game. Is it more realistic... probably. Yet that would be far more annyoing to me then him being just a little phased by it. I mean the game invoked the WTF is that, OMFG feels out of me, do I really need to see it from the character also? I guess it really depends what who you ask and what your looking for out of your game experiences.
Well, I think BJ Blazkowicz in The New Order is a great example of making an emotional, vulnerable, and relatable character that expresses clear grief and determination in their situation, while still allowing them to be a fan-favorite action hero in the end.

In The Evil Within, they really just don't even try.

I mean, it's cool, the game is like a rollercoaster and a big theme park ride, I get it, and I love it. It's obvious they prioritized other things, I get that, too.

It does, most people here(including myself) aren't too hot on Chapter 1/2. Chapter 1 in particular is...woof. The first movement you make the framerate is bad and you gotta adjust to clumsy guy mechanics and its like "oh man this game bro IDK about this shit". If you don't like ch. 5-7, return to GameStop.

Any info on when Separate Ways/Mercs dlc is suppose to come out

I am definitely mixed on this game, but a heads up:

The term Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as In the year of the Lord. Redundant Evil.

kodecraft

It does, but your exaggeration needs to be dialed down a bit.

AdaWong

AdaWong is not happy with the RE6 shade in this post.

Well, I think BJ Blazkowicz in The New Order is a great example of making a character emotional, vulnerable, and relatable, that expresses clear grief in their situation, while still allowing them to be a fan-favorite action hero in the end.

In The Evil Within, they really just don't even try.

I mean, it's cool, the game is like a rollercoaster and a big theme park ride, I get it, and I love it. It's obvious they prioritized other things, I get that, too.

Yeah I def can agree with you on all that. I guess my expectations for any really memborable characters wasn't there. I mean, I can't think of any horror game that has a character I really, truly, relate to.... Not even Silent Hill. If anything the best performance ever was James in SH2 and even that was stilted in it's acting in many ways. I mostly look forward to my horror games to give me a nightmare fuel like experience and/or tension. TEW did that for me personally.

Got up to chapter 10 last night
but had to quit at the boss as I was falling asleep. Seems like an awesome boss fight, love the eye popping out on a stalk scanning for you. Any tricks I need to know? I'm assuming I just need to target the eye as a weak spot.

Yeah I def can agree with you on all that. I guess my expectations for any really memborable characters wasn't there. I mean, I can't think of any horror game that has a character I really, truly, relate to.... Not even Silent Hill. If anything the best performance ever was James in SH2 and even that was stilted in it's acting in many ways. I mostly look forward to my horror games to give me a nightmare fuel like experience and/or tension. TEW did that for me personally.

"How can you just sit there and EAT PIZZA!?"

The black bars are pretty annoying on the PS4... but I've been dealing with them.

However, why for the love of god can't they render the UI in the black bar area? Why is it popping up in the incredibly cramped and limited viewable area?

There is literally 35% of the screen not being used, and they never thought "hey, let's put the UI in there".

I was thinking the exact same thing watching all the gameplay videos this week. If they really wanted to make the game "cinematic," why did they put all the ugly UI on your already limited view space? It's especially weird considering that some things like the saving game indicator IS located in the black bar area. It probably wouldn't be so bad if the UI prompts weren't so big, ugly and oddly placed. The huge eye with the button prompting you to look at important things in the environment is a good example of the eyesores(pun intended) the game should be placing in the negative space.

I don't know, the more I watch of this game the more it looks like a AA game touted like it's AAA. If it was $40 or $50 I might feel more inclined to pick it up but as of now I'm leaning towards not buying, even though I'd really like a nice horror game to play for the next couple of weeks leading up to Halloween. I have a feeling this game will get a price drop sooner rather then later anyway.

Just finished Chapter 2 and 3.

I'm surprised people had time to notice framerates and blackbars and whatever technical bullshit when everything is so damn tense. Now I know exactly what Mikami wanted when he talked about walking the thin line between victory and death in survival horror, every single mistake can spiral out of control in seconds @_@

While I'm thankful for the generous checkpoints, I have no idea how much of my progress is saved when I died.

Also, do the enemies keep re spawning or something? I could have sworn they just kept coming.

Lol, this is the first time I've actually memorized what I've used to kill a boss-

1x Explosive Bolt
1x Harpoon Bolt
1x Flash Bolt
2x Shotgun shells
2x Grenades

"How can you just sit there and EAT PIZZA!?"

Man, even with all that. It has one of, if not, the best goddamn survival horror story and soundtrack. Everything in the game from the environments down to the monsters make sense after you know the twist and when you get there, it hits you like a freight train. What a masterpiece that game was.

bir-suzgec-tutanin-bile-yok.gif

" In my restless dreams, I see that town… Silent Hill.
You promised you’d take me there again someday.
But you never did.
Well I’m alone there now…
In our ‘special place’…
Waiting for you.
"

Man, even with all that. It has one of, if not, the best goddamn survival horror story and soundtrack. Everything in the game from the environments down to the monsters make sense after you know the twist and when you get there, it hits you like a freight train. What a masterpiece that game was.

bir-suzgec-tutanin-bile-yok.gif

" In my restless dreams, I see that town… Silent Hill.
You promised you’d take me there again someday.
But you never did.
Well I’m alone there now…
In our ‘special place’…
Waiting for you.
"

Agreed. Though how many people had to discuss the game and actually get the story out of it. The game was very cryptic in putting everything together. The only thing being revealed at the end concerned the final twist of what you thought otherwise the whole time. Putting everything together with the supporting cast, the town, etc took a bit more work. Now TEW def isn't as deep as that, but it does have more to it then face value I think.

addyb

Finally got my copy today from simply games. I've been dipping in and out of this thread over the past few weeks. Really looking forward to it based on impressions. I'm a huge fan of the genre and hopefully I won't be bothered with some of the issues others have. I've pretty much enjoyed all games of this ilk in the past. The mediocre reviewed downpour was a big hit with me. Hell I even enjoyed resi 5&6 despite them being the worst in that particular series.

So I heard it starts off poor. Picks up a few chapters in and then each chapter after that I could love or be meh about it depending on my tastes.

Would it be a fair assumption to say I'll enjoy this?

Andrew.

Banned
Non-game breaking tech bullshit aside, this is one of the best games I've played all year easily. Atmosphere and tension is off the charts and the pacing is very well done coming in those waves of really calm to really fucking crazy. Mikami at his best in that regard.

Just hit chapter 7.

I'm so looking forward to new game plus and finding all of those morgue keys as well as all the map pieces. You know that's gotta unlock something really good.

And even if it doesn't, fuck it. I want all the collectibles. I want to know this game out the ass just like I do re4.

Reading all these updated impressions puts me in a difficult position. On one hand, the game seems to be right up my alley the other is infected with performance issues and I really cannot justify dropping down $60 for such a shoddy product. I really like to support this but I believe Bethesda is to blame for not giving Tango the proper development tools to make the game function. Damn shame. It's December steam sale for me or Halloween if the price is more acceptable.

Also, do the enemies keep re spawning or something? I could have sworn they just kept coming.

No re-spawning enemies. If you don't properly kill them by heavy cranial trauma, stealth kill or incinerating then they will most likely stand up again.

Is this game worth 49,99 euro?

Depends on who you ask. I would say yes. I got it a bit cheaper myself but so far it's worth every euro I spent on it.

antitrop

Non-game breaking tech bullshit aside, this is one of the best games I've played all year easily.

Well, yeah, but that isn't saying a whole lot for me.

I think the only games I've really enjoyed all year that weren't rereleases (such as RE4, Diablo 3, TLoU, and soon GTA V) are Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. And now this, obviously.

Yup, definitely the first year after a new console generation launch, alright.

I know, I should get a Wii U, you don't have to tell me.

Finally got my copy today from simply games. I've been dipping in and out of this thread over the past few weeks. Really looking forward to it based on impressions. I'm a huge fan of the genre and hopefully I won't be bothered with some of the issues others have. I've pretty much enjoyed all games of this ilk in the past. The mediocre reviewed downpour was a big hit with me. Hell I even enjoyed resi 5&6 despite them being the worst in that particular series.

So I heard it starts off poor. Picks up a few chapters in and then each chapter after that I could love or be meh about it depending on my tastes.

Sure, I don't see why not. If you enjoyed all those games you should enjoy this.

It depends if you're comfortable with hard games, because this is definitely tougher than Downpour and RE5/6, and whether or not you can handle the pendulum mood swinging from feeling cocky and confident, to cowardly and panicking lol ^_^

Andrew.

Banned
Well, yeah, but that isn't saying a whole lot for me.

I think the only games I've really enjoyed all year that weren't rereleases (such as RE4, Diablo 3, TLoU, and soon GTA V) are Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. And now this, obviously.

Yup, definitely the first year after a new console generation launch, alright.

I know, I should get a Wii U, you don't have to tell me.

Bayo 2 next meek man. The next time we get two weeks straight of new releases from masterminds like Kamiya and Mikami will be never.

Get yourself a U.

antitrop

Bayo 2 next meek man. The next time we get two weeks straight of new releases from masterminds like Kamiya and Mikami will be never.

Get yourself a U.

lol, I almost want to buy a Wii U just to have a version of Bayonetta 1 without screen tearing.

Fuck, God damnit, I think I'm gonna buy a Wii U.

Andrew.

Banned

Im on chapter 6
the fight with the devil dog

That boss is easy as shit. All I did was pump it full of shotty rounds and easily run out of the way when it came out of the bushes. Didn't die once. Probably one of the easiest fights in the game for me so far.

addyb

It depends if you're comfortable with hard games, because this is definitely tougher than Downpour and RE5/6, and whether or not you can handle the pendulum mood swinging from feeling cocky and confident, to cowardly and panicking lol ^_^

Well demons souls was my favourite game of last gen and I love super meat boy. Yes I know that's nothing like this but it's extremely hard and frustrating but love the sense of achievement once you crack a tough bit you've been stuck on.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I totally disagree. Not scary at all? Really? lol. I think people who are saying that are just not allowing themselves to be scared or are just not playing it the way a survival horror game needs to be played. I don't get it. How can someone play through chapter 4 and say that shit wasn't frightening? Whatever I guess. I should probably just stop reading this thread.

Mupod

I'm the same way and I'm loving it so far. I'm only in chapter 6 though.

Pretty much. Chapter 5
does that multiple times, just when you think it's time for the game to slow down and give you a breather, oh god jesus fuck help.

One thing I've noticed in this game is that there are plenty of parts that I think are going to be annoying but they always end up being easier than I think they're going to be.

addyb

Thanks for the replies guys. Now another one. Bosses. Are they creative and suitably freaky in one way or another? I love my boss battles.

One thing I've noticed in this game is that there are plenty of parts that I think are going to be annoying but they always end up being easier than I think they're going to be.

I think its because the controls are a bit siff, the FOV is narrow, and the limited resources that always make me a bit apprehensive approaching any encounter. Like, in Bayonetta, "sweet, new boss fight!" cuz I'm fuckin' Bayonetta I have a fully invincible dodge, Bullet Time, and Dodge Offset, but here I'm like, "Aw shit, here we go with this fuckin' thing". And you beat it, maybe dying once and its like, ey, that was pretty alright actually

b0bbyJ03

hey guys, I just started the game, im on chapter 2, and i was wondering, since the matches are limited, is it worth burning everyone you kill? or should i be saving the matches for specific types of enemies. also i noticed that while i was sneaking by some hay i had the option to light it on fire. What is the point of this? does it attract enemies or something?

Top Bottom