• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I'm sorry but saying this game is not even a little scary is such a load of crap.

I dont find it scary at all, alien scared me cause i was so immersed in the game, in this i'm jumping around all the time and i cant take it seriously.

took me 9 hours to get to chapter 10, how long would you guys say i have left?

If I want to play on Nightmare/Akumu difficulty I have to start a whole new game? (only see Casual and Survival on New Game +)
I was hoping that I could carry my progress over for Nightmare/Akumu to help me out a bit.

Just got to Chapter 6 and i'm loving this game. It's not without flaws but I've been having a blast playing through it. I get the occasional framerate hiccup and a bug here and there but nothing game breaking. I will definitely play this again on new game + after I finish the game.

I totally disagree. Not scary at all? Really? lol. I think people who are saying that are just not allowing themselves to be scared or are just not playing it the way a survival horror game needs to be played. I don't get it. How can someone play through chapter 4 and say that shit wasn't frightening? Whatever I guess. I should probably just stop reading this thread.

lol, this game can't even be played like survival horror, because it's nothing but a shooter. Closer to the Uncharteds than the greats that are REmake and Silent Hill 2. Replacing the explosions in a corridor shooter with a bunch of want-to-be spooky images here and there doesn't make survival horror, hence this game falls flat on it's face. It's also not even that hard, I'm dying much less than even in RE4. I don't even remember chapter 4, because this game is so unremarkable. I do however remember chapter 6, which is the biggest insult to anyone who was unfortunately believing the PR bullshit about this being a horror title.

antitrop

I'm sorry but saying this game is not even a little scary is such a load of crap. I don't buy that for a second. I'm only up to chapter 5 but chapters 3 and 4 were intense and pretty fucking scary imo and I play almost all survival horror games I can get my hands on. Aside from that comment I do agree with the rest of this review though.

I'm on Chapter 5 and the game is not scary. It's confusing and a bit weird, but hardly frightening.

I've only played in the dark on a large TV with VSS headphones, too.

The sound a clicker makes in The Last of Us was scarier than everything I've seen in The Evil Within, to this point. Even
Laura, who isn't scary, because her design is too tryhard and she's easy to run away from

Taruranto

I totally disagree. Not scary at all? Really? lol. I think people who are saying that are just not allowing themselves to be scared or are just not playing it the way a survival horror game needs to be played. I don't get it. How can someone play through chapter 4 and say that shit wasn't frightening? Whatever I guess. I should probably just stop reading this thread.

What does this even mean...

kodecraft

lol, this game can't even be played like survival horror, because it's nothing but a shooter. Closer to the Uncharteds than the greats that are REmake and Silent Hill 2. Replacing the explosions in a corridor shooter with a bunch of want-to-be spooky images here and there doesn't make survival horror, hence this game falls flat on it's face. It's also not even that hard, I'm dying much less than even in RE4. I don't even remember chapter 4, because this game is so unremarkable. I do however remember chapter 6, which is the biggest insult to anyone who was unfortunately believing the PR bullshit about this being a horror title.

And you got the game because...?

Mupod

hey guys, I just started the game, im on chapter 2, and i was wondering, since the matches are limited, is it worth burning everyone you kill? or should i be saving the matches for specific types of enemies. also i noticed that while i was sneaking by some hay i had the option to light it on fire. What is the point of this? does it attract enemies or something?

so far I just use it like RE4 melee. I use it to quickly finish off a downed enemy and hopefully take out some of his comrades too. Saves a lot of ammo since the haunted can take a TON of punishment.

There's also some environmental stuff you can do with them, and of course there's the classic zombie playing dead scenario which I'm sure will get me at some point. Can't burn everything so it's up to you.

Bl@de

Chapter 10
2dd.jpg

antitrop

No more Call of Duty/Titanfall for you.

Her appearance is almost comical in its excessiveness. If Sebastian doesn't seem afraid of her, why should I be?

"Maybe I should run."

Yeah, okay, Sebastian. Whatever. Do whatever you want, you don't give a shit about anything.

it was about as scary as the movie hollow man

carlsojo

I just started Chapter 4 and so far the tensest I've been was
escaping Captain Chainsaw in the beginning of the game.
It's like the game is trying way too hard with smacking me in the face with LOOK AT ALL OF THESE CORPSES AND BLOOD ARE YOU SCARED YET ARE YOU? I can't tell if I'm supposed to be playing this as an action game either, the game keeps giving me more ammo than I can even carry while I play the game as carefully as possible. Also... Brain gel is probably the most immersion-breaking currency I think anyone could ever come up with.

/endrant

I'm told it gets better by Chapters 5/6 so I'll see if I can make it there before I have to leave for work tonight :/

antitrop

I just started Chapter 4 and so far the tensest I've been was
escaping Captain Chainsaw in the beginning of the game.
It's like the game is trying way too hard with smacking me in the face with LOOK AT ALL OF THESE CORPSES AND BLOOD ARE YOU SCARED YET ARE YOU? I can't tell if I'm supposed to be playing this as an action game either, the game keeps giving me more ammo than I can even carry while I play the game as carefully as possible. Also... Brain gel is probably the most immersion-breaking currency I think anyone could ever come up with.

/endrant

I'm told it gets better by Chapters 5/6 so I'll see if I can make it there before I have to leave for work tonight :/

Man, I don't know how anyone can hate on some Brain Gel.

I think its because the controls are a bit siff, the FOV is narrow, and the limited resources that always make me a bit apprehensive approaching any encounter. Like, in Bayonetta, "sweet, new boss fight!" cuz I'm fuckin' Bayonetta I have a fully invincible dodge, Bullet Time, and Dodge Offset, but here I'm like, "Aw shit, here we go with this fuckin' thing". And you beat it, maybe dying once and its like, ey, that was pretty alright actually

lol

Yeah, I think you nailed it. I have a moment of dread once a scenario is introduced but when I work out what I'm supposed to do it goes smoothly (bosses\minibosses are usually surprisingly easy to evade) and I'm often left thinking "That was it?" I'm ok with that though, don't think this game needs drawn out annoying encounters.

Andrew.

Banned
Chapter 6 is pretty much the castle underground and catacombs from the castle in re4. Just like the chapters 3 and 4 were Mikamis updated spanish village from re4.

Game delivers.

Dominator

Ok so I hate Chapter 6. I'm not even far into it but after the first section and you get into a more open area, it's terrible. The controls are really screwing me up with how clunky they are in this situation. Hopefully I can get passed it and continue on because I am enjoying the game a lot.

Don't need for this game or other horror games to be "scary" because "scary" to me is such a haphazard term. The Exorcist is one of the greatest horror movies ever made, but is it "scary?" Not really. That however isn't a dig against the movie. It isn't trying to startle you, which is what a lot of people associate with the term. Instead, to me, scary encompasses several different emotions: if I'm creeped out, I relate that to being scared. If I'm bothered, I relate that to being scared. If I'm startled, I usually relate that to something cheap thrown in to get a jolt out of me. Jump scares can be well done, but most of the time it just means that the directors or creative teams are struggling, and take an easy way out.

I have never been under the impression that this game would be scary or terrifying. It always seemed to be going for the surreal and tense moments. What I look for is atmosphere, interesting art, creative ideas, and tension. From what I've seen of the game, it seems to nail these things pretty well. I played Amnesia for 4-5 hours after hearing how scary the game was, and it had zero effect on me. Same for Siren: Blood Curse and several other horror games. P.T. was effective in its unpredictability as it employed narrow corridors and seemingly random instances, but it too was guilty of a few cheap scare moments. So I have no doubt that this game isn't "scary."

But as long as it gets other things right I'm sure it's still a very engaging experience with a great horror-driven atmosphere. That's all I'm really looking for.

antitrop

Chapter 6 is pretty much the castle underground and catacombs from the castle in re4. Just like the chapters 3 and 4 were Mikamis updated spanish village from re4.

Game delivers.
Gameplay delivers, that's for sure. I've spent all morning bitching about the shitty story and characters, but I've been enjoying every moment of the actual gameplay to an absurd degree.

E the Shaggy

It's funny but I think the game would be much scarier if we had a protagonist who was really affected by what he was seeing.

There's a bunch of shambling corpses with barbed wire wrapped around their faces. REACT SEBASTIAN! Don't just go, "Oh hey, this is pretty weird."

Andrew.

Banned
Gameplay delivers, that's for sure. I've spent all morning bitching about the shitty story and characters, but I've been enjoying every moment of the actual gameplay to an absurd degree.

I don't know what the hell is going on story wise. I'm guessing most questions won't be answered but who knows. I just want to finish it and get onto new game plus because rocking through this game with fully upgraded weapons and skills is going to be fucking awesome amazing fun.

Not saying I'm ready for it to end cause I'm having a blast, but I can't stop thinking about how I'm going to handle situations differently on my next run, not to mention finding all the statues and stuff.

Jobbs

Banned
any tips on how to do this
hag woman
in chapter 5? I'm on survivor difficulty and I'm having a bit of trouble seeing as how I start the fight with no ammo of any kind except a couple of bolts.

Well demons souls was my favourite game of last gen and I love super meat boy. Yes I know that's nothing like this but it's extremely hard and frustrating but love the sense of achievement once you crack a tough bit you've been stuck on.

Then imo you'll be fine.

hey guys, I just started the game, im on chapter 2, and i was wondering, since the matches are limited, is it worth burning everyone you kill? or should i be saving the matches for specific types of enemies. also i noticed that while i was sneaking by some hay i had the option to light it on fire. What is the point of this? does it attract enemies or something?

As a general rule I would burn any bodies that I didn't personally kill.

And for the ones I did kill, if they still have a head, burn it.

On that note, man the head explosions are so satisfying.

Ophelion

I don't remember where I heard this, but there's roughly two kinds of fear.

There's Terror which is the sort of animal, heart pumping something big chasing you that you have not real chance of killing kind of fear.

And then there's Dread, which is more about unease. It creeps all over your body like a cold sweat. You know something about your reality is currently wrong.

PT, for example, was like dread calcified into a digital substance and then injected right into my eyeball.

So far at least (like I said before, I'm only on chapter 4) The Evil Within is more about terror. I feel hunted, but despite some very strange things happening, I don't feel especially ill at ease. Maybe that'll change as I go, but so far I'm more frightened of being forced into a fair fight (which I would then lose) than I am disturbed by just traversing the space.

Andrew.

Banned
I find even the failed head shots satisfying. Just taking off a chunk or half of the face and seeing those skin flaps leftover and flapping around with the blood squirt out the side? It's fucking beautiful

I don't know what the hell is going on story wise. I'm guessing most questions won't be answered but who knows. I just want to finish it and get onto new game plus because rocking through this game with fully upgraded weapons and skills is going to be fucking awesome amazing fun.

Not saying I'm ready for it to end cause I'm having a blast, but I can't stop thinking about how I'm going to handle situations differently on my next run, not to mention finding all the statues and stuff.

I know the feeling. I've got probably 28+ hours combined on the PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and PC versions of this game and I'm still not bored and still wanting to play it more and more. To me, this is a telltale sign, more then anything anyone else can say, that I'll be replaying this time and time again and that the gameplay is just so well done for me: pure, gaming, bliss. The random encounters, the randomized drops, the new difficulties, the new game +. Game has legs and it shows.

Mupod

It's funny but I think the game would be much scarier if we had a protagonist who was really affected by what he was seeing.

There's a bunch of shambling corpses with barbed wire wrapped around their faces. REACT SEBASTIAN! Don't just go, "Oh hey, this is pretty weird."

I don't really think that's necessary. I did think one part in chapter 5 was odd though,
his reaction to Joseph's transformation. He just turned into a fucking Haunted, and you basically had him walk it off.

any tips on how to do this
hag woman
in chapter 5? I'm on survivor difficulty and I'm having a bit of trouble seeing as how I start the fight with no ammo of any kind except a couple of bolts.

You don't need any ammo. Besides,
I believe there are a few of handgun bullets lying around in that area. That's all you actually need. Just burn that bitch. Use the torches that are lying around to set her on fire. Shoot the fuel barrels when she's next to them to burn her even more. And make use of the big incinerators at the left and right. Lure her into it and wait for the right moment to pull the lever. You can use them multiple times. You can also set the bodies on fire which she spawns from when you time it right.

After about seven or eight burns she is dead.

mattp

Its got a lot of varied environments with some wonderful lighting and encourages exploration, its just the game kinda blows through them haphazardly that you never get a great feel for them. There's practically zero backtracking, or looking at a map and remembering how to get back to use this new key for that door and open a new area. Its very much like a more traditional action game in that regard, with "stages" you go through.

yep
which is why it feels like a sequel to re4 and not "classic" resident evil

this is the MAIN thing i was hoping would be like classic re. which is disappointing. but it's not bad, so im still enjoying it

Half an hour...i would at least play some more before spreading doom and gloom of this magnitude.

word, that was diva level moaning, i know the beginning is slow, but come on..

Doom and gloom? What? I'm hardly damming the game yet, it just totally caught me off guard how unapologetically awful the opening of this game is coming from the man who helmed vanquish and re4, the latter of which has probably my favorite opening segment of any game ever. Like...there's just nothing redeeming in it at all. Bad intro that leaves you with zero context of the world or where you are, leaving the game world feeling completely artificial and destroying any immersion, dialogue that feels like it's out of a bad Square translation from the 90s, awful setpieces that feel like they were designed by someone who played all the most popular horror games last gen and decided to throw all the bad tropes from them back to back with laughable execution, etc. Just wow...nothing at all feels good about it. The only thing I like about it thus far is the lighting and how the aspect ratio helps with peeking around corners.
He manages to top himself..it sets it up well its a baptized by fire tutorial that doesn't let you experience the game until you get past it. If it took you an hour to do so, that's you mang.

Not at all. Even if the game drastically improves and ends up being great for me, I'll still probably hold this up as a new low in my "games with shit openings" category. Like if I had gotten this on a steam sale for $5 and had no outside context of the game's development I probably would have ditched it without a second thought and never played it again. Mikami and my love for RE4 is pretty much the only thing that kept me from uninstalling it and going to play more A:I.
sure, go play slenderman alien edition -__- first person horror is my personal bane.

I find even the failed head shots satisfying. Just taking off a chunk or half of the face and seeing those skin flaps leftover and flapping around with the blood squirt out the side? It's fucking beautiful

And that random crit chance where the head explodes like a fireworks show, never know if the next shot is gonna do it...

moreno-crying-gif.gif

Andrew.

Banned
Pistol is what I've focused on the most.

But man I love me some explosive bolts.

It's like Bioshock Crossbow.

Electro, freeze, explosive, incendiary..,

HeelPower

What do people think of "the nexus" in this game ?

I think its an unexpected,great addition.Never followed the gameplay videos so I didn't know about this.Pleasantly surprised ;p

Top Bottom