• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mupod

What do people think of "the nexus" in this game ?

I think its an unexpected,great addition.Never followed the gameplay videos so I didn't know about this.Pleasantly surprised ;p

they definitely went for a 'resident evil save room' kind of relaxing safe haven feel. Which makes it all the more effective when they mess with you a bit in there.

MarkusRJR

For anyone who has played both, which is the horror game to get this month: Alien: Isolation or The Evil Within?

I can't decide. I know I'll get around to both eventually, but not sure which one to buy right now.

For anyone who has played both, which is the horror game to get this month: Alien: Isolation or The Evil Within?

I can't decide. I know I'll get around to both eventually, but not sure which one to buy right now.

One is more slower, and suspensful, sticks to what it starts with mostly, the other is highly replayable and lots of varied gameplay but a little janky and uneven. Hard choice really, but if your getting both eventually, just pull one out of a hat :p

Also I wish the game would tell you what gives you've got. It tells everything else in the archives but that... I mean I think I'm missing about 25 keys looking at my doors that remain unopened.

What do people think of "the nexus" in this game ?

I think its an unexpected,great addition.Never followed the gameplay videos so I didn't know about this.Pleasantly surprised ;p

I like it. I dig all the different effects you might see when you go there. As a save room it feels a bit redundant with all the checkpoints though.

Okay. This scene.
Where Joseph suddenly acts all bad and cool and takes the gun from Seb, out-of-nowhere he's hopeless and wants to end his life, "it's just a matter of time..." Joseph says as he point the gun towards his head.

Sebastian pushes him and the gun falls. Scene ends.

Literally not even one minute after this scene, Joseph is like "cover me I'm now suddenly(again) determined to get out of this alive! LEZ DO DIS!!11/"

Literally, wtf?
The plot and writing is obnoxiously bad and cheesy. Was that a reference to the original RE?

Chapter 5/6 were fun though.
Did you not listen to the recording Ruvik made about that very subject?

I think its because the controls are a bit siff, the FOV is narrow, and the limited resources that always make me a bit apprehensive approaching any encounter. Like, in Bayonetta, "sweet, new boss fight!" cuz I'm fuckin' Bayonetta I have a fully invincible dodge, Bullet Time, and Dodge Offset, but here I'm like, "Aw shit, here we go with this fuckin' thing". And you beat it, maybe dying once and its like, ey, that was pretty alright actually

First of all

stone-cold-finger-ot1sn6.gif

for the line in your review.

But you're pretty spot on with this post. The game's faults mechanically, with the animation, and with the FoV definitely makes for some "Ugh" before major encounters, but then you get through it and realize it's pretty well designed. The best example of this so far was the
dog thing
in Chapter 6. It's like "Man this thing is too fast, these mechanics are too janky, my feet hurt, this music's bad, I don't wanna dance, etc.", but then you figure it out and it becomes a great test of reflexes and is actually way more fun than it looked initially. It's almost that feeling I got from Uncharted 3 prior to combat, except this game has a sense of satisfaction to surviving that turns it all around.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Her appearance is almost comical in its excessiveness. If Sebastian doesn't seem afraid of her, why should I be?

"Maybe I should run."

Yeah, okay, Sebastian. Whatever. Do whatever you want, you don't give a shit about anything.

There's a good explanation and a few other things but it would be spoilers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Alien if you want a new experince, TEW if you want something old.

I wouldn't say its that old. Anything else you're into Heavy Rain David Cage territory. Even Uncharted and Assassin's Creed can only tweak a few things.
Running up to a door step isn't old

The human element has a large spectrum to it. It's just not going to be accurate if you think too hard about it.

AdaWong is not happy with the RE6 shade in this post.

AdaWong should be happy that enough people complained about her disastrous camera and fov when her game was released that the developers decided to do the right thing and eventually fix such a stupid design decision.

I hope people who have finished the game know sebastians full story from the red badges, dude has had it rough, he's barely there and driven by a single purpose, its actually the only reason he's going to that hospital in the beginning.

So level accuracy and cric for pistol?

yep, decreases the shakes and makes 1 shot kill head shots a more common occurrence.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Not a fan of horror games and this looks too dark for me, but started up Vanquish for the first time the other day. Man that game is fun.

DSmalls84

Upgrading the revolver seems to make a huge difference combat wise. Going into Ch. 3 I felt completely vulnerable until I snagged the Agrony Crossbow. Now in Chapter 5 with Crit and Damage upgrades for the revolver enemies aren't nearly as intimidating. I don't really mind the shift, because I'm enjoying the combat. Really great game so far, and the technical issues aren't really hampering the experience for me. Hopefully this sells well and we see a sequel. I know some will disagree but I'm enjoying this way more then RE6.

Seriously fuck this game.

I'm onto chapter 9 now and it is just getting more and more annoying.

heres something that will be fun, a character which seemingly appears from nowhere who can kill you with one touch

Really just want to blast through this so I can sell it on. Not having fun with it at all

I'm having the same feelings about this as I did RE6, which is that it is fun at times but largely annoying

Xpliskin

AdaWong is not happy with the RE6 shade in this post.

I know you're jealous because TEW doesn't have your
"Sebastian, use THIS !" moment.

EDIT:

Not having fun with it at all

I'm having the same feelings about this as I did RE6, which is that it is fun at times but largely annoying

hospitaldriver

Those hospital beds, the gel, the hygienic cleaning products, the nurse, ....
All that reminds you of work.

Work can't be always fun.

I'm onto chapter 9 now and it is just getting more and more annoying.

heres something that will be fun, a character which seemingly appears from nowhere who can kill you with one touch

Really just want to blast through this so I can sell it on. Not having fun with it at all

Again, this is another part that seems like it's going to be annoying but is actually trivial to deal with.
Just run away from him whenever he appears and he'll vanish again pretty quickly. Just leaving the room he's in temporarily is sometimes enough.
I really liked the chapter in the end.

tcruz2994

Neo Member
So I contacted Bethesda about frame rate issues....

----------------

Subject
Is there a patch coming to fix the frame rate issues on ps4?

Response By Email (****)
Hello!

Thank you for contacting us! My name is ****, and I am a member of our Escalations Group with Bethesda Softworks. I see that you've been having trouble the framerate on PS4 for The Evil Within.

I would like to ask you a few questions to see if we can identify what the problem is and where it is so we can try to reproduce it on our side.

How long has your console been running when you run into framerate issues?
Where are you seeing these issues? (What chapter, what exact locations)
Are you seeing noticeable stuttering in gameplay?
Can you please describe exactly what you are experiencing?
Thank you so much for your patience and support and if you would prefer discussing this via phone, please let me know.

Thank you for contacting us!

---------

Any help with these questions(such as #2) will be appreciated..

tesqui

holy shit just got through ch.7
Box Man
INTENSE!! This game is shaping up to being my GOTY. That is if it keeps being as awesome as it has been!

DukeBobby

Despite my avatar and despite how much I'm enjoying this, I think I prefer Alien.

It's damn close, though. Both games will be high up in my GOTY list.

Xpliskin

Dying over and over again on some bullshit instadeath sequence isn't my idea of fun. Then having to repeat a 3 minute section of the game to then get back to only die again is even more of a piss take

Have you tried casual mode ?
My little sis who isn't that hardcore almost completed the game with relative ease using that mode.

So I contacted Bethesda about frame rate issues....
----------------
Subject
Is there a patch coming to fix the frame rate issues on ps4?

Response By Email (****)
Hello!

Thank you for contacting us! My name is ****, and I am a member of our Escalations Group with Bethesda Softworks. I see that you've been having trouble the framerate on PS4 for The Evil Within.

I would like to ask you a few questions to see if we can identify what the problem is and where it is so we can try to reproduce it on our side.

How long has your console been running when you run into framerate issues?
Where are you seeing these issues? (What chapter, what exact locations)
Are you seeing noticeable stuttering in gameplay?
Can you please describe exactly what you are experiencing?
Thank you so much for your patience and support and if you would prefer discussing this via phone, please let me know.

Thank you for contacting us!
---------
Any help with these questions(such as #2) will be appreciated..

Escalations group sounds like serious business.

I'm only at chapter 7.
On PC Masterrace. But:

Chapter 2 - Particle effects ("When the camera has a bonfire or something dynamic in view")
Chapter 6 - Whole chapter
General: When I turn the camera too fast.

This is just a guess as to what would cause framerate dips on consoles.
Smooth as butter on PC.

Despite my avatar and despite how much I'm enjoying this, Ithink I prefer Alien.

Jackface_zoom.gif

Treason is punished by public avatar removal according to the beacon mental hospital rulebook.

Facism

In spite of the crap framerate, horrible fov and prepatch uncharted 3 aiming, this is a brilliant game. Definitely going to do another playthrough straight away.

My bro has completed it, which he rarely does with a lit of games. That speaks volumes on it's quality to me. Going to be fun to discuss everything when I'm finally done. Glad I went on blind and didn't spoil myself with trailers or poison my perception by reading entitled rage posts by bad gamers.

Grisby

On chapter 10 now. There are some interesting similarities to Silent Hill, in the fact that some of the boss characters have designs on how they died.

Game can look real good with the lighting sometimes and then there are other areas where it looks like a rough PS3/360 game.

I'm having a good time, spite the fact that I feel there are a bit too many 1 hit kill deals going on. It wouldn't be so bad but the loading times are a tad long. Usually you're checkpointed right near the worst offenders so it works out I guess.

Oh, and whoever said that disarming the bombs are the highest points of tension in the game is right. They're the true scary enemies of TEW.

So far for me Alien is the more scarier and 'tense' game of the two. Alien scores huge bonus points of you are a fan of the original movie too.

Trickster

So I just bought this on pc and am now trying to remove the atrocious black bars. However I can only find people recomending the same solution, which seem to "remove" the black bars by just zooming in, or lowering the fov. Please tell me this isn't the actual fix for black bars?

Bl@de

So I just bought this on pc and am now trying to remove the atrocious black bars. However I can only find people recomending the same solution, which seem to "remove" the black bars by just zooming in, or lowering the fov. Please tell me this isn't the actual fix for black bars?

There is a fix in the pc performance thread by k-putt. But I don't use because of annoying jj abrahms lamp bloom. Waiting on flawless widescreen fix. Also take into consideration, that your fps will go down because of more onscreen objects

Lucent

Dying over and over again on some bullshit instadeath sequence isn't my idea of fun. Then having to repeat a 3 minute section of the game to then get back to only die again is even more of a piss take

Most of the instant deaths I've encountered I feel like were my fault. If I run into a trap, that's because I wasn't paying attention. As for the bosses that do that, well, don't let them touch you. I don't think there have really been any insta deaths that I couldn't see coming or didn't make sense. Maybe it's because I approach things carefully and look at my surroundings.

I think playing the Souls games has made me better at this sort of game. lol

Carbonox

Thank the lord.

After the god awful chapters 6, 7 and 8, I'm finally happy again with chapter 9. Great location, atmosphere and the story starts to pick up in a much more interesting way. Plus the enemies are enjoyable to fight again after the shite they throw at you in the previous couple which were trash. A

pls be more like this, game

Most of the instant deaths I've encountered I feel like were my fault. If I run into a trap, that's because I wasn't paying attention. As for the bosses that do that, well, don't let them touch you. I don't think there have really been any insta deaths that I couldn't see coming or didn't make sense. Maybe it's because I approach things carefully and look at my surroundings.

I think playing the Souls games has made me better at this sort of game. lol

I don't know, those invisible enemies are bullshit.

Don't get the complaints about the game's intro. It's only bad in the sense that every intro where you hold forward and hit X for 10 minutes sucks. Chapter 2 was fine for a stealth tutorial, it wasn't particularly inspired or anything but it was laid out well enough for you to explore and pick things off in your own manner. Thematically, I thought the game started off just fine. I've played enough Japanese games to know this isn't going to get explained even remotely satisfactorily, but eh, it was creative and mercifully didn't waste any time. It could have been 20 minutes of QTEs and R-rated squealing like Tomb Raider 2013.

The lady friend says the intro of the game reminded her of D on the 3DO, but I never played that. Maybe someone else might have an opinion on that.

In chapter 3 atm, so far I've only died because I like to try doing stupid shit whenever possible.

Despite my avatar and despite how much I'm enjoying this, I think I prefer Alien.

I skipped Alien because I haven't had time for much of anything for months now, but the lady wants to play it, so that's next on my list.

Lucent

They had
invisible enemies
in RE4. Though I think those were easier to see. I thought they were cool though just because they
pushed stuff out of the way and it looked like stuff was just being moved and you're like "oh shit here it comes" lol.

They're not really that hard though. Just smack them in the face and then do whatever. Harpoon isn't a bad idea.

Novistadors say hello.
They are possible to spot just by hearing. And they're not entirely unvisible, you can still see their outlines. When in doubt shoot with the shotgun in the direction where the steps come from. I died plenty of times in this game but never to such an enemy.

^

Git gud ... Seriously. There are so many ways of killing these suckers and seeing them ... Water, cloth, sound, ...

Oh I try to lure them past debris and doors and such, but headshotting still isnt really an option, which means you're blowing through most of your ammo. Just not a lot of fun.

If the Asylum is the Nexus, does that mean the Nurse is the Maiden in Black @_@ ?

Didn't see it that way, lol.

Man, I just got past chapter 7. That was some pretty thight shit. Had to
scavenge materials on the fly to craft some damn explosion bolts. I was so out of ammo. Box head lost his head literaly. lol

And the
death animation of box head when hos safe door flies open and red goo spills out
, wonderful.

Up to the end of chapter 10 now. Still getting frustrated now and again (mainly with regards to the checkpoints) but I'm generally still really enjoying this. Feels like it's getting further into Silent Hill style mindfuck territory too which is always welcome.

Tain

^

Oh I try to lure them past debris and doors and such, but headshotting still isnt really an option, which means you're blowing through most of your ammo. Just not a lot of fun.

slap a shock arrow on the ground right in front of you, use a match, boom

Top Bottom