• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

ZServ

How many chapters are there? I'm only on chapter 4, but I feel like I'm probably around a fourth through it. Does that seem accurate?

antitrop

You kidding? I had him going full Nicholson on 75% of all those guys. He was an excellent teammate for me.

He attacks when he feels like it. I mean, I'm not really complaining, because he is still a one-man army, that only needs to be healed once in a while.

So many glitches and problems with this game on XB1. Just experienced this one for the second time since last night: I'll be playing normally and all of a sudden the game audio will cut out completely (system audio is fine). Nothing works to bring it back. So I completely quit out of the game and restart it, and then it won't progress past the title screen. Freezes there every time, and nothing corrects it including ejecting and re-inserting the game disc. Only fix is a full hard boot of the system. The first time it happened I was in chapter 10, and if it had screwed up my save file I think I would've been done with the game forever.

Might be your disc or install man? No one has said anything of that nature on the game. Aside from a random lock or so.

He attacks when he feels like it. I mean, I'm not really complaining, because he is still a one-man army, with proper backup.

you get him in the right spot he knocks them all out no trouble, i just practiced my sniping on that level and left my light weight to him.

-MD-

His AI is so terrible it makes you not want to, though.

I thought he was a pretty solid AI. Only one time did he not follow me as I sprinted across the map in chapter 6 and got left behind so I had to run back and save him.

Other than that though he wasn't bad at all.

Sanctuary

Tee hee hee, apparently Flash bolts work on
the chapter 10 boss at the start when he's eye-stalking you
. Gonna try that the next time I face him. Sounds like you can literally turn that fight into a less than 60s fight easily that way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh my fucking God, don't mess with Joseph when
he's got Mjolnir in axe form

Jesus, just moppin' em up, one right after the other. Dude needs a shower.
I've never seen a partner NPC beast through a combat section like he did. Such a boss.

Tee hee hee, apparently Flash bolts work on
the chapter 10 boss at the start when he's eye-stalking you
. Gonna try that the next time I face him. Sounds like you can literally turn that fight into a less than 60s fight easily that way.

why waste a flash bolt? just shoot it with a pistol, it'll fall out all the same, not for as long but you can repeat it no prob!

Gator86

There are some parts of the game that make me question whether members of the dev team were even sentient creatures capable of intelligent thought.
In chapter 7 there is a spot when random spikes just shoot out and kill you. There's no audio or visual cue that something might be wrong. There's no switch sticking out anywhere. Just your 5285th hanging body then you walk by it and bam, dead.
How could anyone think that's fun? It's just mindblowing. I can't possibly fathom a reason why no one would stop and say "hey guys, this is a stupid thing to include."

No idea what you mean, because he's actually a lot easier before that point. Before that point you can't die unless you're just horrible at moving at all. You can also liberally use stealth tactics as well. How on earth do you get hit by his
barges
anyway? He doesn't change directions when doing them.

Man, with me it was relentless. It's like the monster never takes rest
unless I hid for abit to where it looses me. I found it much easier when it was in that other form because I immediately adapted to its limited move set which is just walking abit fast, pausing a second or two then going in for the bite.

There are some parts of the game that make me question whether members of the dev team were even sentient creatures capable of intelligent thought.
In chapter 7 there is a spot when random spikes just shoot out and kill you. There's no audio or visual cue that something might be wrong. There's no switch sticking out anywhere. Just your 5285th hanging body then you walk by it and bam, dead.
How could anyone think that's fun? It's just mindblowing. I can't possibly fathom a reason why no one would stop and say "hey guys, this is a stupid thing to include."

if you're talking about what I think you're talking about that is ALL your bad, you should pay close attention to your surroundings.

Actually the hanging body
is roped to a mechanism if you look closely.

Sanctuary

why waste a flash bolt? just shoot it with a pistol, it'll fall out all the same, not for as long but you can repeat it no prob!

Uh, never actually been able to hit it on the
eye itslef, because it literally has to be looking at you for you to hit it and by that point it's too late. Hitting the stalk doesn't drop it, that's for sure.

I don't remember that at all. I'll be looking for this in
chapter 7, but I sure as hell don't remember an instant death from out of the blue scenario
. Also, there are things that are a lot worse in this game. Namely some of the idiodic dialogue.

Question does the upgrading really hinder your experience if you don't upgrade certain things?

Also what is supposed to be the tell for the invisible dudes? I can't ever seem to get a grasp what gives their position away, it can't be that vague little blur of a thing that is hard as fuck to see in this game.

Given that there's an achievement/trophy for not upgrading a single thing, I'd assume the experience doesn't go to shit even if you spend your Green Gel wrong, at least on Survival. Is that actually possible though? I dunno. Don't know what I'd do without my Critvolver, Flash Bolts, and Harpoons. At the same time, I had many spare crossbow parts (100 by the final chapter), ran into a few situations where I couldn't carry any more ammo for my other weapons (Critvolver got too much love), and I never shot my Magnum once.

As for the invisible enemies, just cheese them with a Flash Bolt -> Facestab.

No, it's before that. The part you mention was completely obvious even without the character saying anything. I started laughing as soon as I walked into the room.

Hmm, didn't manage to get killed then but yeah that hanging body was obvious but I could understand why maybe someone would miss it. Generally whenever I see spikes above, I just steer away lol.

eye itslef, because it literally has to be looking at you for you to hit it and by that point it's too late. Hitting the stalk doesn't drop it, that's for sure.

You can shoot the eye immediately as the battle starts if you inch out to the right from pillar you start behind. Then if you manage to hide under a car, or make him lose track of you and he stops to "scan" again, it's basically another free shot.

antitrop

Someone said you can kill the chainsaw maniac
with just a Flash Bolt and then run up to him and knife him
, is that correct?

Gator86

Hmm, didn't manage to get killed then but yeah that hanging body was obvious but I could understand why maybe someone would miss it. Generally whenever I see spikes above, I just steer away lol.

Yeah, the part that killed me didn't have any spikes. They just shot out of a normal wall with no suspicious signs. I'm fine with traps you can't actually see and avoid.

Sanctuary

You can shoot the eye immediately as the battle starts if you inch out to the right from pillar you start behind. Then if you manage to hide under a car, or make him lose track of you and he stops to "scan" again, it's basically another free shot.

I always used the pillar to shoot from at the start, and as soon as I would line up my shot to actually hit the eye (that was looking right at me), it would instantly move because I was detected. Can't hit the eye when the stalk is whipping around.

Someone said you can kill the chainsaw maniac
with just a Flash Bolt and then run up to him and knife him
, is that correct?

You can't one-shot him with that, if that's what you're asking. It takes multiple
stabs

Ivan

Considering the fact that your
within the mind of a deranged scientist killer and experiencing his nightmares
I think the locations make absolute perfect sense. They might hop around a bit, but like
memories
, things can be placed all over or out of order.

Wow... I clicked like it was nothing. Major spoiler (and you used tags, I know).

To risky to be here for me. :(

Maybe major spoilers shouldn't be used as a part of a sentence that easily in a non spoiler thread...

I know it's my fault, but still... :(

Yeah, the part that killed me didn't have any spikes. They just shot out of a normal wall with no suspicious signs. I'm fine with traps you can't actually see and avoid.

Pretty sure all of those have tripwires.

I always used the pillar to shoot from at the start, and as soon as I would line up my shot to actually hit the eye (that was looking right at me), it would instantly move because I was detected. Can't hit the eye when it's actually moving around.

That's weird. I died 3 times before I found a consistent strategy, but taking a shot right at the start always worked for me.

I don't remember that at all. I'll be looking for this in
chapter 7, but I sure as hell don't remember an instant death from out of the blue scenario
. Also, there are things that are a lot worse in this game. Namely some of the idiodic dialogue.

Nope! if its in the distance
looking the other way, i pop caps in it and down it goes. as long as you hit the eye it will drop mang.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Have fun raging when you crouch but the prompt still doesn't pop up because lol i dunno

Might be standing at the wrong spot. I've been having a hell of a time trying the bottle -> stealth kill but I realized that's only a kill from the front, not the back.

for some reason

Sanctuary

Nope! if its in the distance
looking the other way, i pop caps in it and down it goes. as long as you hit the eye it will drop mang.

Hmm. I'll try it again I guess, but I was even using the sniper and hitting the
eye on the side did nothing but cause it to notice me

Might be standing at the wrong spot. I've been having a hell of a time trying the bottle -> stealth kill but I realized that's only a kill from the front, not the back.

for some reason

I know it's from the front. It still doesn't work 100% of the time even when the Ganado is clearly in the stunned animation. It's like they tried to bring in the bottle/brick --> melee move from The Last of Us without any of the finesse or beautiful blending animations.

The camera has to be centered on whatever you're looking at for the prompt to appear, it's ridiculous.

smh. So it's the same issue as picking up items? Makes everything feel so finicky.

Wow... I clicked like it was nothing. Major spoiler (and you used tags, I know).

To risky to be here for me. :(

Maybe major spoilers shouldn't be used as a part of a sentence that easily in a non spoiler thread...

I know it's my fault, but still... :(

I'll just say that you shouldn't worry and it's much, much more then that. Whenever you finish the game, come join us in the spoiler thread. :D Thread.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The camera has to be centered on whatever you're looking at for the prompt to appear, it's ridiculous.

Haha, that might be it too. It's super finicky with items and dropping a match with the same thing using the camera, didn't realize it was needed for that too.

Chapter 12 was
trash

I loved it, it was a
break from all the doom and gloom, didn't have a single lazy qte segment like resident evil seems to love and when you get a certain weapon after beating the game, you WILL want to repay it and mow down everything.

Top Bottom