• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are you playing on PC? I've heard it's alot easier to time in that version because there's less input lag/delay on the button press.

I usually just disarm them when they're right after a checkpoint, otherwise it's just too risky.

Yup, am playing PC which might make a difference. There is a slight delay when you press and when the counter stops, but my mind must have gotten the timing down as 4/5 times I disarm it.

However, if there's not been a checkpoint for a while, I usually don't risk it.

Lucent

Because when you restart from a death you are not at full health. I'm not sure if it's a percentage or an exact amount of health points (which would mean upgrading your health in that case is useless). Full health packs are very rare and syringes can't even give you half of your starting health without a few upgrades into them. You don't need to be at full health all of the time anyway, you just need around half so you can take a hit or two and still be able to move at normal speed.

Actually, no idea about upgraded shotgun vs double-barrel. I never actually even knew you could switch to the double until after finishing the game. Also not sure if any of the "shotgun" bonuses actually work on the double-barrel or not. I guess the easiest way to check is to just do one upgrade in stock and see if both change.

Nah. Double barrel is 50% stronger (I guess as opposed to the shotgun before any upgrades?) but you can't upgrade the double barrel at all. It says all this in the description. I stopped using it after awhile. lol

Sanctuary

Are you playing on PC? I've heard it's alot easier to time in that version because there's less input lag/delay on the button press.

I usually just disarm them when they're right after a checkpoint, otherwise it's just too risky.

I am playing on PC and using a controller though. What I have noticed is that there seems to be a horrible input lag when using the controller, so I'm not sure if it's actually the game or just the controller causing this.

Nah. Double barrel is 50% stronger (I guess as opposed to the shotgun before any upgrades?) but you can't upgrade the double barrel at all. It says all this in the description. I stopped using it after awhile. lol

Yeah, I never actually saw the description, because I didn't even know I could use it until later. For whatever reason I thought it was just the basic shotgun, only you get it earlier or something. So it's basically the shotgun to use until you can upgrade the basic one to match or come close to the same damage for less shells. And wouldn't the double-barrel be 100% stronger when the other is unupgraded? It also just costs twice as much to use.

JoeFenix

Yup, am playing PC which might make a difference. There is a slight delay when you press and when the counter stops, but my mind must have gotten the timing down as 4/5 times I disarm it.

However, if there's not been a checkpoint for a while, I usually don't risk it.

Ah I see, I'll probably grab the PC version soon too. Are you playing mouse and keyboard or using a gamepad?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Because when you restart from a death you are not at full health. I'm not sure if it's a percentage or an exact amount of health points (which would mean upgrading your health in that case is useless). Full health packs are very rare and syringes can't even give you half of your starting health without a few upgrades into them. You don't need to be at full health all of the time anyway, you just need around half so you can take a hit or two and still be able to move at normal speed.

Actually, no idea about upgraded shotgun vs double-barrel. I never actually even knew you could switch to the double until after finishing the game. Also not sure if any of the "shotgun" bonuses actually work on the double-barrel or not. I guess the easiest way to check is to just do one upgrade in stock and see if both change.

Ok that makes sense. I won't upgrade my health anymore so. There's a message saying the DB shotgun can't be upgraded so any upgrades would only apply to the standard. If it's gonna see a lot of use then it would probably make more sense to uograde it past the base stats of the DB shotgun

Correct, but you can play on any chapter on New Game+ on the difficulty you've beaten the game on or lower with all your weapons/upgrades/unlockables.

That's handy, I won't try and get any of those chapter-specific trophies on my first run through.

Nuke Soda

Having the fully upgraded sprint feels pretty damn good. A fully upgraded melee however still feels useless. Luckily I can sprint circles around most enemies.

Lernaean

Banned
Correct, but you can play on any chapter on New Game+ on the difficulty you've beaten the game on or lower with all your weapons/upgrades/unlockables.

Thanks for clarifying.

Having the fully upgraded sprint feels pretty damn good. A fully upgraded melee however still feels useless. Luckily I can sprint circles around most enemies.

I have this feeling that full melee upgrade and
brass knuckles
will be god mode :p

Duxxy3

First impressions - old and clunky. This design worked 10 years ago, but many advancements have happened since then. Dead space for instance.

Sanctuary

I am assuming, due to how some of the items you find in the model viewer are
unlockables that you'll actually find a "melee" weapon
making it actually moderately useful.

Lucent

First impressions - old and clunky. This design worked 10 years ago, but many advancements have happened since then. Dead space for instance.

You should get used to it after some time with the controls. I can run around enemies and get around the environments with no problem. Honestly it feels like Dead Space the way you move kinda IMO. Isaac didn't exactly feel like the most nimble guy either but I got used to it.

Duxxy3

You should get used to it after some time with the controls. I can run around enemies and get around the environments with no problem. Honestly it feels like Dead Space the way you move kinda IMO. Isaac didn't exactly feel like the most nimble guy either but I got used to it.

It's not just the movement, that I am mostly fine with.

It's the cut off camera, the melee, the aim, the bullet sponging. Just all adds up to an old, clunky experience. I'm enjoying it, but it feels like a game ripped from the past.

edit: The stealth system, imo, isn't needed. It slows the game to a crawl. There are better ways to add tension than to force the player to move like sam fisher.

It's the cut off camera, the melee, the aim, the bullet sponging. Just all adds up to an old, clunky experience. I'm enjoying it, but it feels like a game ripped from the past.

edit: The stealth system, imo, isn't needed. It slows the game to a crawl. There are better ways to add tension than to force the player to move like sam fisher.

The game was designed with all that in mind I do believe. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand and really makes you work for battles. I can see why many folks see it as a con, but man I just ate that up. It's weird for me to have played a game for over 30 hours, and still want to return to it. If aynthing, I at least have got my moneys worth on TEW and my hype was justified for me personally.

Duxxy3

The game was designed with all that in mind I do believe. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand and really makes you work for battles. I can see why many folks see it as a con, but man I just ate that up. It's weird for me to have played a game for over 30 hours, and still want to return to it. If aynthing, I at least have got my moneys worth on TEW and my hype was justified for me personally.

That's the same reasoning that people give for Dark Souls. I love dark souls, but ya know what... it is an unrefined, unpolished, game. I think that is what appeals to people. Both of these games are a throwback to a time where a few jagged edges and iffy mechanics were OK. I'm just not convinced that those choices were intentional.

Anyhow, back to chapter 3.

chapter 10 is next...come back and tell me about that shit when you done

Took me a while to get to it, but yeah.

Yup.

Uh huh.

That was pretty great. Way better than Chapter 9 and up there with the best the game's had to offer so far. They got SO MUCH out of what's a pretty small environment. Top notch encounters, environmental hazards, art, music (or noise, really), and that boss battle *drool*

When this game's on, it's really really on. Like, there's some masterful pacing and design going on in some of these chapters. Too bad that some aspects are so sloppy because though the ambition isn't the same as RE4, the spirit is still there. If this game had the polish of Vanquish it would be incredible.

trw

Everything except for the camera and fov are just different game design choices that some prefer over the more superhero action in Dead Space. It's fine if you don't like it as much but to just say it's 'outdated' and that advancements have been made is just silly. I much prefer this to Dead Space but I don't equate my taste with the one and only good design.

That's the same reasoning that people give for Dark Souls. I love dark souls, but ya know what... it is an unrefined, unpolished, game. I think that is what appeals to people. Both of these games are a throwback to a time where a few jagged edges and iffy mechanics were OK. I'm just not convinced that those choices were intentional.

Anyhow, back to chapter 3.

I def don't apreciate this game for that things mentioned. I appreciate it for the strong art design, the varied enviroments, the combat, the level and creature design. Unpolished and unrefined wouldn't be my reasons for wanting to play this, as if I'm stuck in some past era. If people do, power to them but that's not why I play games such as TEW. If anything, TEW does more for the third person genre then most games even attempt. So I applaud it for that. Rough or not.

Hubble

My only complaint so far is its ridiculous to kill an enemy using melee alone. Do you always have to use bullets? I am trying to conserve, and without sneak killing, its retarded to kill an enemy through melee.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's the same reasoning that people give for Dark Souls. I love dark souls, but ya know what... it is an unrefined, unpolished, game.
*eyebrow raise*

unrefined is an... interesting quality to assign Dark Souls

Just beat it. I have no idea what happened in the story. It just went batshittier and batshittier.

we have to go back
..or..did we ever leave?
Join us in the spoiler thread mang!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910145

My only complaint so far is its ridiculous to kill an enemy using melee alone. Do you always have to use bullets? I am trying to conserve, and without sneak killing, its retarded to kill an enemy through melee.
its not supposed to be a viable option you will always lose health if you try to go toe to toe with the haunted or anything for that matter. Leveled up its still a worthless option.

Lucent

Well, you're not force to. You can run around like a crazy person and alert the enemies if you want. lol.

If they were easy to kill, I wouldn't be afraid of them. And I think that's the point. I love that I have to approach most situations cautiously because IRL you sure wouldn't want to be dealing with these guys. Especially more than one at a time.

I'm interested to know what better ways there are to add tension.

jett

D-Member
I'm on chapter 4 so far. This game is pretty, pretty good. Weird that they pushed the horror angle so much when selling it and forgot to mention it's a bonafide stealth game.

The atmosphere and creep-factor is closer to Silent Hill and Resident Evil, which is great, and I'm glad that there really aren't many intrusive cut-scenes at all. I was expecting the worst there. :p

Carbonox

Enemies on their own are easy to melee but you gotta dance with them and it takes a while.

1. Punch once > they will stumble back
2. Follow up punch > they will retaliate > you will know when they don't stumble to the punch so you must back off so they miss their counter
3. If your punch doesn't make them stumble > back off anyway just in case

Rinse and repeat. I was able to do a 1-2 punch, back off so they miss their counter and then do it all over again. Once you get the pattern down it's easy as they telegraph their shit so blatantly.

Your final hit will explode their head.

Sanctuary

Took me a while to get to it, but yeah.

Yup.

Uh huh.

That was pretty great. Way better than Chapter 9 and up there with the best the game's had to offer so far. They got SO MUCH out of what's a pretty small environment. Top notch encounters, environmental hazards, art, music (or noise, really), and that boss battle *drool*

When this game's on, it's really really on. Like, there's some masterful pacing and design going on in some of these chapters. Too bad that some aspects are so sloppy because though the ambition isn't the same as RE4, the spirit is still there. If this game had the polish of Vanquish it would be incredible.

Yeah well Vanquish was also 1/3rd to 1/4th the length depending on how long it takes you to finish this.

Enemies on their own are easy to melee but you gotta dance with them and it takes a while.

1. Punch once > they will stumble back
2. Follow up punch > they will retaliate > you will know when they don't stumble to the punch so you must back off so they miss their counter
3. If your punch doesn't make them stumble > back off anyway just in case

Rinse and repeat. I was able to do a 1-2 punch, back off so they miss their counter and then do it all over again. Once you get the pattern down it's easy as they telegraph their shit so blatantly.

Your final hit will explode their head.

And yet it's still infinitely faster to simply throw a bottle at their face and stab them in the throat, or run away and hide for a few seconds and then go in for a stealth kill. Melee should have worked like the knife attacks did in the RE games, or even be as good as the Dead Space stomp, but it's really shitty in comparison. I love how Sebastian is carrying around a combat knife the enitre time too and only uses it for stealth.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah well Vanquish was also 1/3rd to 1/4th the length depending on how long it takes you to finish this.

And yet it's still infinitely faster to simply throw a bottle at their face and stab them in the throat, or run away and hide for a few seconds and then go in for a stealth kill.

Roughly how long is it. I just started Ch 5 and I think I'm about 3 hours in

Sanctuary

Roughly how long is it. I just started Ch 5 and I think I'm about 3 hours in

Took me 16 hours on my first run, but others are reporting less, and some more. I tried to be thorough too when looking for map fragments, but I ended up missing half of them. Are you playing on Survival difficulty?

Lucent

Took me 16 hours on my first run, but others are reporting less, and some more. I tried to be thorough too when looking for map fragments, but I ended up missing half of them.

Yeah I just finished chapter 10 last night and have 14 hours on the clock. I might be trying to be too conservative with my ammo and stuff. lol.

Carbonox

And yet it's still infinitely faster to simply throw a bottle at their face and stab them in the throat, or run away and hide for a few seconds and then go in for a stealth kill. Melee should have worked like the knife attacks did in the RE games, or even be as good as the Dead Space stomp, but it's really shitty in comparison. I love how Sebastian is carrying around a combat knife the enitre time too and only uses it for stealth.

Yeah it sucks how bad the melee is in this. I guess with Resident Evil 4 being doable for the most part with just melee and your knife resulted in Mikami wanting to shake it up a bit for his spiritual successor. :p Doesn't change the nuisance of it all though.

Markitron

Took me 16 hours on my first run, but others are reporting less, and some more. I tried to be thorough too when looking for map fragments, but I ended up missing half of them.

So about the same as Resi 4 then.

Sanctuary

So what is the general impression on this game good or bad ??

It's "good" with lots and lots of jank and a very unmemorable narrative and level design (the levels are neat if not entirely derivative by themselves, but far too short and they don't connect to each other in a way that would make them easy to remember).

I think I would rank my favorite horror games like this though:

RE2 > RE4 > REmake > Dead Space > Dead Space 2 > Silent Hill > Silent Hill 2 > TEW

So what is the general impression on this game good or bad ??

Honestly, that depends who you ask. For me, it was a fanstic, survival horror, action game. It has moments of Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and more all thrown in, yet it still retains it's own identity. If you dislike games that can come off fairly hard at the start, stealth elements, or games that have one hit bosses at times, you might not enjoy it. Though if you can understand the dynamics at play, and appreciate what the game does well. You might have a GOTY candidate. So if your curious, give it a go.

Top Bottom