• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Pretty sure you don't have to have the camera centered to pick up an item.

Not centered exactly, but you have to do too much camera adjusting to get things to pop up sometimes.

Idk I played up to chapter 3 and the jank and camera is really bothering me. Tell me it gets better

They do pull the camera back a few times, but the issues remain issues throughout. You'll learn to manage most of them though, and the game itself gets much better beyond where you are. Keep going.

I know it's from the front. It still doesn't work 100% of the time even when the Ganado is clearly in the stunned animation. It's like they tried to bring in the bottle/brick --> melee move from The Last of Us without any of the finesse or beautiful blending animations.

Just checking: Are you sure you hit them in the face with the bottle? Unlike Joel, Seb's not a star pitcher and doesn't get bullseye's like magic. :p But yes, animation-wise (and control, unfortunately), it just isn't like TLOU. :(

Beat the game, honestly one of my favorite games released this year so far.
Congrats! if you have atheories or questions hit the spoiler thread!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134823550#post134823550
Just checking: Are you sure you hit them in the face with the bottle? Unlike Joel, Seb's not a star pitcher and doesn't get bullseye's like magic. :p But yes, animation-wise (and control, unfortunately), it just isn't like TLOU. :(

The fat ones don't seem to be affected enough to be stealth killed after a bottle throw to the FACE , make sure you're not wasting your time doing that with them.

Always face shots. It's a desperation move so I always make sure I have enough space and the right angle to do it. It works often enough that I keep attempting it, but every now and then it'll leave me hanging like an idiot crouched in front of an enemy who's clearly in the stun animation.

Do you mean the popup bubbles? I turned those off completely.

Shouldn't need those to popup to pick up objects anyways I would think.

I didn't even realize you could turn off those pop ups. But yes, without deliberately positioning the camera to make them pop up, Sebastian doesn't consistently pick things up or burn bodies even though they might be right outside of the letterbox frame (which is ALL THE TIME in this game)

The funny thing about this camera system is that 90% of the time it's best to keep it as close to the RE4 angle as possible, and keep everything in front of you. As soon as you try to get fancy in ways the game looks like it will allow, systems fall apart.

MattyG

Banned
I'm really sad, I finally got back to it today and have almost no interest anymore. Got halfway through chapter 11 and I'm just not feeling it anymore. Maybe if I come back tomorrow it will be better.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Also what is supposed to be the tell for the invisible dudes? I can't ever seem to get a grasp what gives their position away, it can't be that vague little blur of a thing that is hard as fuck to see in this game.

Supposed to be the splashes of their footsteps in puddles or physical objects being pushed aside.

I was stumped on the best method so I experimented with them. You can either place a explosive bolt since it is triggered by proximity in their path although this won't be an instant kill.

What worked for me was using a flash bang arrow and then charging him while he was blinded for a stealth knife kill. I liked that idea better than trying to hit them and end up wasting ammo.

antitrop

Supposed to be the splashes of their footsteps in puddles or physical objects being pushed aside.

I was stumped on the best method so I experimented with them. You can either place a explosive bolt since it is triggered by proximity in their path although this won't be an instant kill.

What worked for me was using a flash bang arrow against and then charging him while he was blinded for a stealth knife kill. I liked that idea better than trying to hit them and end up wasting ammo.

I can't imagine there's a better way than 1 Harpoon Bolt and then run up and light them on fire with a match. Works every time.

You can tell when they're in your line of sight, because the trajectory line on the crossbow gets cut off.

Akibared

I'm really sad, I finally got back to it today and have almost no interest anymore. Got halfway through chapter 11 and I'm just not feeling it anymore. Maybe if I come back tomorrow it will be better.

Based off some people in this thread it seems like the last few chapters until the very last one are some of the worst in the game.

Give it up dude if you're not engaged with the gameplay let alone the story and the characters, you weren't the audience for this game, go play something else, you could probably get a good trade in amount if you gamestop it .

GravyButt

Probably a bad question, but im only on the end of chapter 5. My buddy is on the fence about the game and wants to come over and try it tomorrow. Is there a way i can replay chapters without losing my current chapters checkpoint?

Duxxy3

I have a very hard time getting back into these games. I've been at the end of Resident Evil 4 for over a year.

antitrop

I can't believe how long these chapters are. I was going to finish Chapter 6 before running down to the drive-through to grab some dinner, but I think I'll just go now. A puzzle seems like a good pause point, I hate those.

Gator86

Holy shit chapter 8 is terrible. It's like 15 minutes long and nothing happens.
Nothing happens except a cutscene that suddenly ends and leaves you right in front of a rampaging instakill monster. Seems about right.

Wow that was a surprising amount of slow walking

I'm vehemently against that stuff (along with unskippable cutscenes) and I'm pretty ok with how TEW handes it. Obviously I'd prefer it it wasn't a thing at all, but it's kept to a manageable level and never breaks the pace for me. Nothing like Yemen in Uncharted 3 or anything lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't believe how long these chapters are. I was going to finish Chapter 6 before running down to the drive-through to grab some dinner, but I think I'll just go now. A puzzle seems like a good pause point, I hate those.
Chapters 5 and 6 took me about two hours each. Was not expecting them to he so meaty.

Anyone using Flawless Widescreen and have this issue crop up:

The Evil Within - Path= (32bit)
Base Address=0x0, Process ID=5000, Version=Unknown
Resolution=1920x1080, Aspect=1.778, Monitors=1x1, Bezel Comp=False - (\\.\NVDisplay on GeForce GTX 780)

It's not working :(

kunonabi

What worked for me was using a flash bang arrow and then charging him while he was blinded for a stealth knife kill. I liked that idea better than trying to hit them and end up wasting ammo.

I have the same trouble with the invisible guys. Now I just run past everything since it doesn't really make sense to be cautious and stealthy with them around.

MattyG

Banned
Based off some people in this thread it seems like the last few chapters until the very last one are some of the worst in the game.
Ugggh, that sucks. At least I know that it's not just me. Guess I'll perservere, I wanna see the end at least.
Give it up dude if you're not engaged with the gameplay let alone the story and the characters, you weren't the audience for this game, go play something else, you could probably get a good trade in amount if you gamestop it .
I never said I wasn't engaged with the any of that. Quite the opposite, I loved the story and didn't think the characters or gameplay were bad. I have no idea what's wrond tonight, chapter 11 just isn't pulling me back into the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is the first game with black bars I think I've played where I feel like the bars don't suit the game. I feel like I am constantly looking at something just off screen...

This is the first game with black bars I think I've played where I feel like the bars don't suit the game. I feel like I am constantly looking at something just off screen...

This is why I'm trying to get this damn Flawless Widescreen to work for my game ._.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just got my pin in the mail today. It's a pretty large pin.

IMG_0516.jpg

I always used the pillar to shoot from at the start, and as soon as I would line up my shot to actually hit the eye (that was looking right at me), it would instantly move because I was detected. Can't hit the eye when the stalk is whipping around.

What I did was
use a freeze arrow when he's looking, snipe him in the eye, did wait for him to go around the corner as you hide behind the column, and then his eye comes back out. Freeze, snipe, usually goes into Rage mode after that. If not, hide in the storage rooms for ammo/weapon destruction.

Ugggh, that sucks. At least I know that it's not just me. Guess I'll perservere, I wanna see the end at least.

I never said I wasn't engaged with the any of that. Quite the opposite, I loved the story and didn't think the characters or gameplay were bad. I have no idea what's wrond tonight, chapter 11 just isn't pulling me back into the game.

oh, well you may be experiencing the doldrums, cwatch super troopers if you have netflx or chapter 12 might smack you out of it , one way or the other, its less dark than the other chapters..you'll see.

Lucent

There are some parts of the game that make me question whether members of the dev team were even sentient creatures capable of intelligent thought.
In chapter 7 there is a spot when random spikes just shoot out and kill you. There's no audio or visual cue that something might be wrong. There's no switch sticking out anywhere. Just your 5285th hanging body then you walk by it and bam, dead.
How could anyone think that's fun? It's just mindblowing. I can't possibly fathom a reason why no one would stop and say "hey guys, this is a stupid thing to include."

No it wasn't random. You tripped a wire. I never got hit by those because you learn early on to look at the ground for traps when in places like that. Turn your lantern on if you need to.

Jobbs

Banned

I didn't think about the black bars much at all until I saw all the complaining in this thread. Now I notice them constantly. In other words, Neogaf ruined it fer me!

I got a chapter 6 nightmare question.

Having problems with the section where Joseph is with you and you gotta snipe those bolt spewing boxes. Do the haunted have infinite spawns in that part or will they stop spawning if I shoot out all the boxes?

So I finished the game after a marathon session (chapter 7-end) yesterday. Time was around 14:15. Pretty satisfied with the length, especially with NG+ and additional difficulties to play.

Just some quick thoughts. I think the gameplay is generally amazing, with stellar mechanics and encounter design. The feedback from killing, or hell, even merely wounding enemies in some cases is some of the best I've ever seen. Many encounters are crafty in their construction, and even the more rudimentary fights are elevated by the pure joy of the mechanics.

Aesthetically, I'm very pleased with the game for the most part. Sound design is pretty much perfect given the scenarios in the game, and the art design rises above the technical shortcomings of the engine.

A few knocks against the game: The graphics become pretty bland during outdoor areas late in the game. There's occasional jank in the gameplay with certain prompts requiring a bit of effort to trigger, or Seb just not moving quite as accurately as I want, or crouch walking feeling just a tad too slow. I'm pretty alright with the black bars by this point, though the FOV still feels a bit too narrow in most cases. While I found the story to be very interesting in concept, the characters amount to nothing and there seem to be way too many holes for anything to really tie together logically.

I have to mention that dat Mikami pacing is in full effect here. As noted, I played from chapter 7 to the end of the game in one sitting (minus bathroom breaks) without ever getting bored. It's kind of difficult for me to describe why, but Mikami just fucking gets pacing. The game moves from stealth encounters, to balls-out action, to psychological moments, to exploratory situations, back to other stuff over and over without skipping a beat. Just masterful.

Overall, this is nearly a 15 hour ride that I'll definitely take again. Mikami nails the - and I don't use this word often - "visceral" nature of combat like no one else. Fucking dudes up in this game is a sadistic joy. Pacing is pitch-perfect and the scenarios are constantly inventive. The game is also quite a looker most of the time.

Rating this game is difficult. I'd like to say 8/10 but my heart says 9/10. I feel this is definitely a game that's more than the sum of its parts. I suppose its a bit like that Dan Hsu Gears of War review where he trashes several elements of the game before giving it top marks. For all the occasional jank in the gameplay, irrelevant characters, and technical issues (framerate/FOV/letterboxing), the game just hit me in the feels like no other in recent memory. I may be a bit biased because RE4 is my favorite game of all time, but goddamn if TEW not only scratched an itch I've had for nearly 10 years, but scratched it well. Welcome back, Mikami. We've missed you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got a chapter 6 nightmare question.

Having problems with the section where Joseph is with you and you gotta snipe those bolt spewing boxes. Do the haunted have infinite spawns in that part or will they stop spawning if I shoot out all the boxes?

I believe they do because they come from that door. Plus I think it's also because of ammo purposes. As long as those boxes are up they spawn. You can speed up that area by knowing what each spot triggers what bolt spewing box. They have specific locations, but save the box in the center for last. It should trigger once you go down to the door where they're hanging from.

antitrop

I have to mention that dat Mikami pacing is in full effect here. As noted, I played from chapter 7 to the end of the game in one sitting (minus bathroom breaks) without ever getting bored. It's kind of difficult for me to describe why, but Mikami just fucking gets pacing. The game moves from stealth encounters, to balls-out action, to psychological moments, to exploratory situations, back to other stuff over and over without skipping a beat. Just masterful.

Few things speak to me more than a game with great pacing. Pacing is something I value very highly in a game, much more than the average.

It's why I generally can't stand open-world games that aren't made by Rockstar.

Few things speak to me more than a game with great pacing. Pacing is something I value very highly in a game, much more than the average.

It's why I generally can't stand open-world games that aren't made by Rockstar.

Even them...fuck it

hate the damn open world trend thats hot right now, with mission design that aint evolved since GTA3. Hope Zelda and MGS got their own thing going on next year.

antitrop

Even them...fuck it

hate the damn open world trend thats hot right now, with mission design that aint evolved since GTA3. Hope Zelda and MGS got their own thing going on next year.

Rockstar's recent games haven't been perfect. GTA V's campaign kinda starts wandering aimlessly about halfway through and RDR has Mexico, of course. (I like Mexico, but it was still the low-point of the game)

Guys pls, don't get me started on open world games that all make me angry but I keep buying anyway....aside from the wonderful Sleeping Dogs.

antitrop baiting me with that "except Rockstar" comment. I won't bite, I won't bite *struggles internally*

I'd really like to start new game + but can't find a collectables guide that includes key locations >_<

Also I just want to throw this out there: Game isn't scary at all. It's quite thrilling at times and the atmosphere can be very tense/oppressive, but anyone holding out because of a dislike for horror games has nothing to worry about. I like to think I'm jumpy as fuck and the game only got me like 3-4 times in nearly 15 hours.

antitrop

Guys pls, don't get me started on open world games that all make me angry but I keep buying anyway....aside from the wonderful Sleeping Dogs.

antitrop baiting me with that "except Rockstar" comment. I won't bite, I won't bite *struggles internally*

They popularized the genre and they're still the masters of it. Bring on November 18, baby!

So I finished the game after a marathon session (chapter 7-end) yesterday. Time was around 14:15. Pretty satisfied with the length, especially with NG+ and additional difficulties to play.

Just some quick thoughts. I think the gameplay is generally amazing, with stellar mechanics and encounter design. The feedback from killing, or hell, even merely wounding enemies in some cases is some of the best I've ever seen. Many encounters are crafty in their construction, and even the more rudimentary fights are elevated by the pure joy of the mechanics.

Aesthetically, I'm very pleased with the game for the most part. Sound design is pretty much perfect given the scenarios in the game, and the art design rises above the technical shortcomings of the engine.

A few knocks against the game: The graphics become pretty bland during outdoor areas late in the game. There's occasional jank in the gameplay with certain prompts requiring a bit of effort to trigger, or Seb just not moving quite as accurately as I want, or crouch walking feeling just a tad too slow. I'm pretty alright with the black bars by this point, though the FOV still feels a bit too narrow in most cases. While I found the story to be very interesting in concept, the characters amount to nothing and there seem to be way too many holes for anything to really tie together logically.

Overall, this is nearly a 15 hour ride that I'll definitely take again. Mikami nails the - and I don't use this word often - "visceral" nature of combat like no one else. Fucking dudes up in this game is a sadistic joy. Pacing is pitch-perfect and the scenarios are constantly inventive. The game is also quite a looker most of the time.

Rating this game is difficult. I'd like to say 8/10 but my heart says 9/10. I feel this is definitely a game that's more than the sum of its parts. I suppose its a bit like that Dan Hsu Gears of War review where he trashes several elements of the game before giving it top marks. For all the occasional jank in the gameplay, irrelevant characters, and technical issues (framerate/FOV/letterboxing), the game just hit me in the feels like no other in recent memory. I may be a bit biased because RE4 is my favorite game of all time, but goddamn if TEW not only scratched an itch I've had for nearly 10 years, but scratched it well. Welcome back, Mikami. We've missed you.

This pretty much sums up how I feel (I haven't finished the game, but I've played enough to know how I feel about it so far) and I feel this is one I'll look back on years down the road with fond memories like I do RE4 and replay it from time to time

im going to buy GTAV on PS4

then im going to start it up

then im going to run my character in a circle

then im going to be sad

again

Top Bottom