• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Hmm... I just got to Chapter 4, but this certainly doesn't feel to be the case. I feel nearly helpless with the pistol. The shotgun is good, but ammo is scarce. Not sure how to effectively use the various bolts of the Agony Crossbow yet.

I'm assuming that the game gets a lot easier as you upgrade to allow for more ammo and damage?
Yes, upgrading makes an important and notable difference. And the game is super generous in survivor with the upgrading gel to the point of been silly some times. You pick it up from a downed enemy then a few steps ahead theres more in the floor and round down a corner theres more waiting for you.

People suposedly getting scarce ammo even when using a lot of stealth are you exploring diligently? There's a multitue of breakable barrel, boxes, chests, urns, etc every where you go. So it doesn't matter if an enemy drops two bullets, bit by bit, from here and there you amass quite enough ammunition to go through the game as trigger happy as you like.

Head shots still the way to go for almost everything so far, even for the porcelain masked baddies. The "halt" so you can shoot me enemy behavior from RE 4 is somewhat still present. Which is kind of weird since we always asummed it was a compromise for that game because it had limited movility options while shooting. In this game since shooting while moving and independent aiming is possible it feels a bit tame to acomodate players.

Disclaimer: Survivor difficulty first run to avoid any misunderstandings XD

TEW does actually have some fun dialogue, especially from Sebastian.

But yeah, it doesn't touch RE4 in that regard. I blame the localization.

The "fun" dialog was a lot of what made me unable to take RE4 seriously as a "horror" game. Don't get me wrong, though, I loved the dialog.

Mini_Game_003_by_Goldsickle.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sitting here on a Sunday evening trying to decide between this or Alien to purchase for evening thrills up until Bayonetta.

I can't decide and I might end up with neither because of it. :(

Ok so ive played this game so far finished chapter 5. As of this point, holy hell I love this game. I know my opinion so far is only on an early portion of the game but if it continues like this it could possibly be my personal #1 game on ps4 so far.

jett

D-Member
Okay, found a lever.

And hey, I just got one hit kill'd by this bitch thanks to blowback from a bomb, who by now is as scary as Mickey fucking Mouse to me due to the amount of times I've done this garbage level. Either this game wasn't properly tested or Mikami is surrounded by yes men cocksuckers. This is just fucking annoying and frustrating. Now to repeat this shit again for the millionth time.

oh and due to not finding any levers in that one room I accidentally spoiled myself the identity of this shit boss while trying to find a solution. yay.

Okay, found a lever.

And hey, I just got one hit kill'd by this bitch thanks to blowback from a bomb, who by now is as scary as Mickey fucking Mouse to me due to the amount of times I've done this garbage level. Either this game wasn't properly tested or Mikami is surrounded by yes men cocksuckers. This is just fucking annoying and frustrating. Now to repeat this shit again for the millionth time.

Jesus, it's not even that hard

Chapter 3 - So I
killed the chainsaw guy at the end, and he didn't drop the chainsaw. Reloaded the auto-save and the chainsaw spawned right in front of me
, but I lost the 5,000 goo.

:|
I didn't even know he 'dropped' it. I went back to the shed where he spawned and it was there.

DukeBobby

Sitting here on a Sunday evening trying to decide between this or Alien to purchase for evening thrills up until Bayonetta.

You can't go wrong with either. Go with Alien if you're looking for a slower paced, nerve-wracking experience. Go with this if you're looking for a tense, action horror game.

Get at least one of them, though. It would be a shame to skip both.

Okay, found a lever.

oh and due to not finding any levers in that one room I accidentally spoiled myself the identity of this shit boss while trying to find a solution. yay.

you're going to love what comes next

Gustaf89

Banned
Okay, found a lever.

what? you should know already who is she by that point on the game

Erevador

Alien is great if you want to gaze at a pretty looking horror game.

The Evil Within is great if you want to PLAY one.

Erevador

Still have a couple of retail keys left if anyone is thinking of picking it up on PC
I very much want a copy of the PC version. I'm loving the PS4 version, but would love to play the game on my PC now that I know it will run well on my rig (I got spooked into buying PS4 version by VRAM worries).

Grisby

Not really, it's an awesome part of you know what to do correctly
Ehhh, it's still kind of shit. I even got killed by the same
bomb
. I liked the idea of that boss fight better than the execution.

Next time I'm just gonna (end game spoiler)
rocket launc'her'.

Jesus, it's not even that hard

This is what happens when games go soft on people for so long. Notice that the majority of people that say something is shit either a. comes from them dying a bunch or b. Not being able to figure out how to proceed. Also lack of patience is a big factor as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Alien is great if you want to gaze at a pretty looking horror game.

The Evil Within is great if you want to PLAY one.

Guess I'll take the plunge on TEW. Really adore and miss the classic RE games, and GT just posted a nice roundtable discussion on TEW where LOTS of comparisons are made to those games.

Would anyone agree that it shares a lot of those qualities? More focus on scavenging and constant dread of being low on ammo? Same was said of Last of Us, but I always felt armed to the teeth even on hard.

Ehhh, it's still kind of shit. I even got killed by the same
bomb
. I liked the idea of that boss fight better than the execution.

Next time I'm just gonna (end game spoiler)
rocket launc'her'.

You dying from a bomb placed in the environment doesn't make the boss fight shit, I died a few times and still had a good time with it

Grisby

You dying from a bomb placed in the environment doesn't make the boss fight shit, I died a few times and still had a good time with it
The placement of it is kind of bullshit but that's not really what I'm referring to as shit. It's the fact that the black bars and the ratio aspect cut my ability to see
Laura crawling around on the floor. Therefore it was difficult to judge when she was under the fire. I felt that part of the game was sloppy and contributed to my overall disappointment with that fight.

I think it's the worst boss fight in the whole game, even if it really isn't a boss fight

Gustaf89

Banned
The placement of it is kind of bullshit but that's not really what I'm referring to as shit. It's the fact that the black bars and the ratio aspect cut my ability to see
Laura crawling around on the floor. Therefore it was difficult to judge when she was under the fire. I felt that part of the game was sloppy and contributed to my overall disappointment with that fight.

I think it's the worst boss fight in the whole game, even if it really isn't a boss fight

don't worry, im playing without the bars and still you don't see shit when
Laura
is crawling

antitrop

Oh come on,
it was easy to tell when she was close enough to you to shoot the flame switch by the audio alone.

I thought that fight was great and it was fun figuring out what to do, even if I died a shitload.

DukeBobby

Guess I'll take the plunge on TEW. Really adore and miss the classic RE games, and GT just posted a nice roundtable discussion on TEW where LOTS of comparisons are made to those games.

Would anyone agree that it shares a lot of those qualities? More focus on scavenging and constant dread of being low on ammo? Same was said of Last of Us, but I always felt armed to the teeth even on hard.

I don't think it shares much in common with the old Resident Evil titles, aside from the atmosphere and locales in some chapters (chapter 9 springs to mind). It is more action horror, a la Resident Evil 4. The ammo is more scarce than it is in 4, but I always had enough on hand, and I never had to run past enemies because I didn't have enough.

I'm sure it's more scarce on the harder difficulties, but for some stupid reason you can only start on easy and normal.

Grisby

don't worry, im playing without the bars and still you don't see shit when
Laura
is crawling
Sure, but it was really the only time I had a problem with the aiming in the game. The camera can be annoyingly close and wonky at time but that instance was the big offender for me. Well, besides another time later in the game where the camera can go
through Sebastian at points.
Oh come on,
it was easy to tell when she was close enough to you to shoot the flame switch by the audio alone.

I thought that fight was great and it was fun figuring out what to do, even if I died a shitload.
I'm not saying it was the most difficult deal of all time, but it didn't sit well with me

Sayad

Okay, found a lever.

You should have figured it out by chapter 10, wouldn't call that a spoiler.

Loved the game, but yea, it could have used few more months under development. That bitch grabbed me through a wall once! I'm of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to polish your game enough, then keep away from one hit kills, people really hate it when they die from bugs.

antitrop

I don't think it shares much in common with the old Resident Evil titles, aside from the atmosphere and locales in some chapters (chapter 9 springs to mind). It is more action horror, a la Resident Evil 4. The ammo is more scarce than it is in 4, but I always had enough on hand, and I never had to run past enemies because I didn't have enough.

I'm sure it's more scarce on the harder difficulties, but for some stupid reason you can only start on easy and normal.
The Evil Within is an outstanding game, one of the better I've played in years, but it's RE4-2.

There's always Resident Evil HD Remaster next year, though. I think I've played half of RE1 like 4 different times on different versions (PS1, GC, DS, PC emulator) but I've never finished it. I'll correct that next year.

The Evil Within is an outstanding game, one of the better I've played in years, but it's RE4-2.

There's always Resident Evil HD Remaster next year, though.

Sad that the game that will bring back survival horror proper is a 10 year old game, redone, based off the original that's even older.

My death count at the start of chapter 6 on AKUMU mode is going to end up as higher than my entire first play through of the game. It's nuts.

I mean, what is survival horror really.

TEW definitely emphasizes survival with limited supplies, and most of the enemies and locals in the game are what I would consider to generally be "scary". What more does the game need to do?

No two people seem to have the same answer. They only agree that its totally RE1 and maybe some of the early Silent Hills.

I think the whole genre talk is too narrow for the way video gaems are made today. They're aren't made in a vacuum. They take elements from JRPGs and Metroid and Final Fight and Far Cry and Donkey Kong Country and all that shit, then you try to put them in a little box that says "RPG". What is an RPG? Is it XP? Turn based combat? Dice rolls? Or is it just "RPG elements"?

Its just not a fruitful discussion, these kind of classifications. You either liked the game or didn't, it damn sure wasn't because of some made-up fuckin' label nobody can agree on what it means.

DukeBobby

There's always Resident Evil HD Remaster next year, though. I think I've played half of RE1 like 4 different times on different versions (PS1, GC, DS, PC emulator) but I've never finished it. I'll correct that next year.

I've finished Resident Evil 1 several times, but I've never finished REmake. My 12 year old self just couldn't handle it at the time.

Jharp

Do medkits carry over to NG+? I'm on chapter 14 and have two medkits. Wondering if I should blow them for the minor hp increase now or just save them till I need them, which might not be till NG+.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

TEW definitely emphasizes survival with limited supplies, and most of the enemies and locals in the game are what I would consider to generally be "scary". What more does the game need to do?

Obviously it needs to dedicate more gameplay time hiding in closets to be considered a "real survivor horror"

tesqui

My death count at the start of chapter 6 on AKUMU mode is going to end up as higher than my entire first play through of the game. It's nuts.

Dude I think I've already hit the 100's. I've been stuck on ch.6 for like 3 hours. I'm ready to give up and restart on a more sane difficulty like nightmare. (Given you still unlock the
Brass knuckles
on nightmare)

Top Bottom