• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I feel like something is missing still. We'll see how Silent Hills turns out. We've managed to modernize 2D Platformers without losing the magic they used to hold. I think the same can be done for survival horror. As it is I found TEW to have way more in common with modern action horror titles like Dead Space than older survival horror games like RE, SH, AITD, and FF.

If going by the sales or general reaction to the last two Silent Hills, not sure how the new one will do, I have faith, but will see. Downpour was the nearest we've gotten to old survival horror games.

I used a
freeze bolt on them and ran past.

Never thought of that.
In the moment I used all my ammo on all weapons except for 1 in te revolver, went to the corner of the room and waited for both of them to come and I shot the bomb in the middle of the room LOL, killing both and was close to killing myself as well.

Just finished the game. Definitely my GOTY. I had a blast playing it the entire way through, and I did Chapter's 8 through 15 in one sitting to day.

It's good to see Mikami's still good it. Game's a little janky and rough around the edges but nothing I can't overlook considering the brilliance of the rest of the game.

Edit: Ending time: 15:15:43, 110 Deaths

If going by the sales or general reaction to the last two Silent Hills, not sure how the new one will do, I have faith, but will see. Downpour was the nearest we've gotten to old survival horror games.

I'm just intrigued by the fact Kojima is doing it. He'll get the break from Metal Gear he so desperately wants, perhaps it will invigorate him and they'll make one hell of a game and give fans the Silent Hill they have been wanting. As for me personally, I've only played 1-4 (1 and 4 being my favs) so I haven't got to see what's been done to the series that people seem to hate so much. I plan going through Origins, Homecoming, Downpour, and Shattered Memories in the near future.

-MD-

Never thought of that.
In the moment I used all my ammo on all weapons except for 1 in te revolver, went to the corner of the room and waited for both of them to come and I shot the bomb in the middle of the room LOL, killing both and was close to killing myself as well.

When I froze them the first time I tossed 2 nades on both of them and they didn't drop, didn't really wanna use more ammo so I froze them again and bounced lol.

I'm just intrigued by the fact Kojima is doing it. He'll get the break from Metal Gear he so desperately wants, perhaps it will invigorate him and they'll make one hell of a game and give fans the Silent Hill they have been wanting. As for me personally, I've only played 1-4 (1 and 4 being my favs) so I haven't got to see what's been done to the series that people seem to hate so much. I plan going through Origins, Homecoming, Downpour, and Shattered Memories in the near future.

I love every Silent Hill game besides Book of Memories. I may be a bit of an aberration. Seems like all other people either love Shattered Memories and hate Homecoming, or vice versa, or some other combinations of titles.

But I love all of them besides the dungeon crawler.

Zeliard

Chapter 3 - So I
killed the chainsaw guy at the end, and he didn't drop the chainsaw. Reloaded the auto-save and the chainsaw spawned right in front of me
, but I lost the 5,000 goo.

:|

TheMoon

- Chapter 1. There's absolutely nothing interesting about it from a gameplay perspective, it's only there as a tutorial and to setup the story, I guess.

I disagree, at least on a first playthrough. I messed up during the
first chase after you got introduced to the locker-hiding and died a few times due to clumsiness. Then I realized that chainsaw dude's route and behavior isn't scripted but either random or reactive to what you're doing or a mix of both. I was panicking so much in that room where have to sneak past him. I guess if you've played this game a bunch and know this by heart you can probably just run straight past him with no consequences basically but for a first timer, this part is HELL because you don't know where the exit is, how big the room is, how far the next separating door is, if that door has a checkpoint, if that is also a safe zone, where is he, I hear him charging at me, did he see me, oh there's a bottle! oh god he's coming! where is the door!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It it worth getting the final fire damage upgrade for the harpoon? I'm saving up for it now (it's 50,000), if it sets an enemy on fire will that spread to other enemies? I'd take it if it was useful for a few bosses.

Anyone? Apologies for quoting myself.

Hubble

After reaching mid chapter 7, the game is only okay.

I am not really enjoying it. I wanted a title to play to hold me over until Sunset Overdrive and when I heard this was supposed to be a blend of RE and Silent Hill, it was too good to turn down. Unfortunately the game is with little scares and the atmosphere does not marvel RE or SH. It is more of a 3rd person running game than what makes classic games horror but is just in a made up scare world and you're going through it. The atmosphere, puzzle making, exploring an open world, unraveling a story, etc., of what makes horror games like Resident Evil 1-3 so great are not to be found. Not even close. There is a lot of missing compared to great horror games.

Jharp

Anyone? Apologies for quoting myself.

Fuck yeah. Makes the later sections of the game where you're fighting lots of haunted MUCH easier. Especially when you deal with the gun-wielding haunted. One hit kills, and they only cost 2 materials to make. If you've been saving those mats up, you're fucking golden with the fire upgrade. I love it and wish I'd gotten it sooner.

By contrast, the melee upgrading is USELESS. When fighting one haunted, it's nice because you can easily do a two-hit combo and back off before they throw a punch back, rinse and repeat until dead. Saves ammo, but also takes way too many hits, even with it fully upgraded (240% damage) which I have. Wasted upgrade points in my opinion, which is disappointing. I didn't expect badass RE6 melee by any means, but I wanted it to be more useful than it is.

edit: chapter 10 spoilers

Also, fire upgrade on harpoon bolts makes the
second boss fight with Laura
a bit more manageable in terms of giving you the breathing room you need to set off the different triggers in order to progress the fight.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fuck yeah. Makes the later sections of the game where you're fighting lots of Haunted MUCH easier. One hit kills, and they only cost 2 materials to make. If you've been saving those mats up, you're fucking golden with the fire upgrade. I love it and wish I'd gotten it sooner.

By contrast, the melee upgrading is USELESS. When fighting one haunted, it's nice because you can easily do a two-hit combo before they throw a punch back, rinse and repeat until dead.Saves ammo, but also takes way too many hits, even with fully upgraded melee (240% damage) which I have. Wasted upgrade points in my opinion, which is disappointing. I didn't expect badass RE6 melee by any means, but I wanted it to be more useful than it is.

Excellent, if it spreads it's a no-brainer. I think I'll upgrade the shotgun and pistol crit next then

Jharp

Excellent, if it spreads it's a no-brainer. I think I'll upgrade the shotgun and pistol crit next then

Sadly, it doesn't spread. At least not that I've seen. I've tried bunching up enemies and using it to see, and it's never worked. I believe the fire bolt does, which is what would make that bolt slightly superior to the fully upgraded harpoon.

After reaching mid chapter 7, the game is only okay.

I am not really enjoying it. I wanted a title to play to hold me over until Sunset Overdrive and when I heard this was supposed to be a blend of RE and Silent Hill, it was too good to turn down. Unfortunately the game is with little scares and the atmosphere does not marvel RE or SH. It is more of a 3rd person running game than what makes classic games horror but is just in a made up scare world and you're going through it. The atmosphere, puzzle making, exploring an open world, unraveling a story, etc., of what makes horror games like Resident Evil 1-3 so great are not to be found. Not even close. There is a lot of missing compared to great horror games.

Yup. Although, as a classic horror adventure fan (because of the reasons you listed), I can say that I started liking it again from the end of chapter 7 until 10 or so. You will enjoy 9 very much, the rest really isn't classic horror, but at least somewhat moody action horror from that point on. Then the final batch of chapters too, although there's also still lots of generic 3rd person shoot'n running left.

GravyButt

Sadly, it doesn't spread. At least not that I've seen. I've tried bunching up enemies and using it to see, and it's never worked. I believe the fire bolt does, which is what would make that bolt slightly superior to the fully upgraded harpoon.
Do the upgrades on the fire bolt ever cause it to have less parts needed to create?

Arkanius

Finally reached Chapter 10
Loving the exposition that has started recently.

I heard I'm going to want to get Sprinting to level 5 soon. I'm level 4, will I be fine?

kunonabi

At the very least the new SH will be worked on by competent developers instead of the bargain basement scrubs the series has been stuck with for the last 5 games.

Kojima for all his faults is still a gigantic improvement over Hulett so that certainly helps too.

JoeFenix

Missing one stupid locker key for the Platinum.

I hate collectibles that could be ANYWHERE in the entire game, I enjoy looking for those statues but please narrow it down to a specific chapter for me...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game from the marketing materials and interviews i've seen was presented as a survival horror experience were stealth and making every shot count was needed in order to progress.

That's far from it... playing it normally the game has been very generous with ammunition and upgrade material. No much need for any type of stealth nor avoiding or runing from normal enemies. Just action run and shoot. The protagonist is way too powerful. It is the unofficial sequel to RE 4.

Visually astonishing game, no doubt my favorite visuals among any of this generation of games. Art design is superb.

Game is really fun, just not scary at all.

Hmm... I just got to Chapter 4, but this certainly doesn't feel to be the case. I feel nearly helpless with the pistol. The shotgun is good, but ammo is scarce. Not sure how to effectively use the various bolts of the Agony Crossbow yet.

I'm assuming that the game gets a lot easier as you upgrade to allow for more ammo and damage?

Missing one stupid locker key for the Platinum.

I hate collectibles that could be ANYWHERE in the entire game, I enjoy looking for those statues but please narrow it down to a specific chapter for me...

You may be able to prolong your life, but it's not like you can escape your inevitable death, is it?

Gustaf89

Banned
i just cleared chapter 10 for a second time,
but this time something really got me thinking, when you are running from Laura for the second time, and the you make it to te elevator, and suddenly Ruviks appears, he says something like "it's a shame that they dragged you into this" and i was wondering, what was he talking about?, maybe Rubiks knows that Sebastian lost someone dear on a fire as well and feels sorry for him, or maybe he is talking about Kidman's organization, man this game keeps on giving

E the Shaggy

Just beat Chapter 3. Man, Resident Evil 4 trains you like hell for this game.

Random question but are all the cabinets in the "safe zone" mapped out or are they random? I opened one using a key, got 2 keys, then 5000 goo and Agony bolts from the next 2.

Weird-ass bug in chapter 6

In the burning house, after Joseph opens the second trap door
, the game just forgot to load the second half of the level, so I'm greeted by an empty wall with just a view of the skybox. Try waiting a bit, jumping to see if it kills me, but I just fall into nothingness, land and all I can see is a really small box where the level is supposed to be. Then I try restarting the chapter and the game crashes lol

jett

D-Member
For the love of fucking god somebody please tell me what to do at the end of he fire rooms in chapter 10.

what the fuck,

okay so a few questions:

1. What are the best things to upgrade first? Which weapons should be focused on. I already know stamina is a must, so that's already at level 3 or 4

2. Can/should you kill the
hair lady
in chapter 4?

3. Are the items behind the lock boxes random? If not, is there anything unique and/or important to go for?

Top Bottom