• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

CaptPete

Neo Member
Dammit! I was hoping to play a bit on my Vita tonight, but they're using the rear touchpad!

Stealth kills are fine, since holding R1 to move around and then hitting X is no big deal, but needing to hit this small piece in the middle of the rear touchpad for L2 and holding it down to aim the gun blows. Not to mention then needing to hit R2, also on the back touchpad, to fire is just ludicrous. Maybe remapping the controls would help, but you really need to use all the L1/L2/L3 and R1/R2/R3 buttons in this game... =(

Dammit! I was hoping to play a bit on my Vita tonight, but they're using the rear touchpad!

Stealth kills are fine, since holding R1 to move around and then hitting X is no big deal, but needing to hit this small piece in the middle of the rear touchpad for L2 and holding it down to aim the gun blows. Not to mention then needing to hit R2, also on the back touchpad, to fire is just ludicrous. Maybe remapping the controls would help, but you really need to use all the L1/L2/L3 and R1/R2/R3 buttons in this game... =(

You can swap the shoulder buttons in the options.

You can change sneaking to toggle instead of holding the button as well.

Gustaf89

Banned
i'm pretty sure this topic already came, but what do you guys think of
all the Inception references?

funny thing, i haven't watched
Inception
properly but my brother was watching it at the same time i was playing this game, and
heard DiCrapio saying something like "the see that we plant will grow" or something like that, and well there is a chapter named that way, also the city moving around and stuff, also all being inside Ruvik's mind or something like that

im quoting myself because nobody answered :(

Lucent

Agree to disagree then i guess, because i've always found the combat fun in the RE games from 2 on, (2 and 4 being my favorites)

Me too. I feel like totally avoiding combat in RE is just creating an artificial reason for RE being better. You could avoid all the non-forced combat if ya want in TEW. There. Even.

I love RE1 and REmake, but TEW is awesome, too.

Hubble

I'm at Chapter 9. I am literally just playing this game to play, to finish but I genuinely have no enjoyment of it. Not having fun with it. I think I am just going to stop there. IMO as a classic survival horror fan, this is nowhere close to it which I guess with the RE and Silent Hill comparisons I thought it might be.

Well, the gunplay is certainly vastly more complex and enjoyable. You have more creative options available to you, in general. More emphasis on using environmental traps and the like, I enjoy that greatly. You definitely have to think about what you're doing here a bit more than in RE4.

I also really like Evil Within's upgrade system, I find it more interesting than what the iconic Merchant had to offer.

RE4 is a 10 for me, and I'm seeing Evil Within coming in at a steady 9, right now. (I'm at the end of Chapter 10)

I feel exactly the same way (i'm also upto same part you are - Chapter 10 boss).
Resident Evil 4 had more of a sense of adventure whereas this game seems to be playing on another type of story (don't wanna mention any spoilers although I still don't have any idea what is really going on lol). I prefer the levelling up system in TEW but Resident Evil definately had a cool inventory system (which added to the gameplay) and all the gun options and levelling up was definately better in RE4.

Also TEW could really do with some more enemy variety, aside from the bosses I think i've been fighting the same enemies from the first couple of levels. Very disappointing because enemy variety is a huge thing for me. They are definately giving me different looking types of enemies (lol saw a nun) but they seem to all have the same behavioural patterns as the others but just different skins. I also think the lacklustre story really takes away from what this game achieves from a gameplay perspective....e.g. awesome gameplay but not being given many reasons to keep playing. Very strange because it's usually the other way around in most games. RE4 had a very simple story but it kept pushing the game forward...e.g I know why i'm in the Swamp, mansion, fighting this boss etc. In TEW I cannot give you a single reason why i've done any of the stuff aside from that is where the game dropped me next. Real missed opportunity here for pushing this game into 'classic' status.

Aside from that the game is still very good and definately my GOTY so far. Cannot wait to see what Tango Gameworks are working on next.

Finished Survival at 25 hours, 129 deaths. I creeped everywhere possible. Died to one hit kills about 100 times. Surprisingly had almost zero difficulty with levels when the enemies had guns, I found it fun. There were about five mini-sections of the game I outright despised, but other than that, I absolutely loved this game. The save rooms are the thing I'm going to most remember, Clair de Lune is wonderful in this game. I also adore the enemy/boss design. I thought the story was fun and the small hints provided more than enough backstory.

Worst section in the entire game:
That room with the hanging meat and one keeper. Due to the zoom on all weapons, I absolutely couldn't see a thing the entire time, just flailing polygons. Not hard, just totally poorly designed.

Varna

that sucks to hear. i just beat Alien and had the same complaints. loved the game, felt frustrated by the technical issues.

im only 3 chapters in on TEW, hopefully its not as bad as Alien got in some spots.

edit: actually, is that what you meant by technical issues? im not sure now lol

Ah, your on console. Yeah, I hear Alien isn't too good on consoles. It's amazing on PCs though. TEW on the other had runs like shit on both. Not to mention the aspect ratio that cuts half the screen. I don't buy the whole artistic bullshit either. Can't even imagine how terrible it would run without it.

when does crafting begin in this game?

Chapter 3 I think. It's not really crafting... more like currency you get to buy one specific type of items.

I'm really enjoying this game. With a bigger budget and better engine with more polish and you have a hit series on your hand Mr. Mikami. I'd buy every single one day 1.

antitrop

Chapter 3 I think. It's not really crafting... more like currency you get to buy one specific type of items.

Well,
you use trap parts to craft bolts for your crossbow. Pressing R1 on the inventory screen is about as deep as the "crafting" gets

Game4life

Banned
I'm at Chapter 9. I am literally just playing this game to play, to finish but I genuinely have no enjoyment of it. Not having fun with it. I think I am just going to stop there. IMO as a classic survival horror fan, this is nowhere close to it which I guess with the RE and Silent Hill comparisons I thought it might be.

This is disappointing to hear.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
well, that just gives you more bolts to farm green gel from a certain boss later on in the game. As long as you've been disabling the traps and shit, you should have plenty of parts.

Yea I missed this opportunity,
I rushed through the fight as I thought the gas would kill me.
Never occurred to me to keep killing him.

Kensuke

Finished it just now.

Clear time: 17:42:48
Deaths: 112

I think it's a fantastic game. I had no issues with the camera or controls. I only wish the story and characters were better.

HeelPower

Just beat the game.

I wish this game wasn't weighed down by unnecessary QTE-ish and throwaway sequences.

If all of it were focused on the core and given us some bigger levels like chapter 9 it would have been perfect.

A great game for sure and still better than RE5 and 6.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It didn't phase me, still want to play the game knowing certain things.

Me too, I just REALLY wished I didn't know that *Alien Spoilers* 1)
You explore a derelict ship
and 2)
the game continues on for a while after the Alien dies

I just don't know why you would reveal this kind of info in a review

Me too, I just REALLY wished I didn't know that *Alien Spoilers* 1)
You explore a derelict ship
and 2)
the game continues on for a while after the Alien dies

I just don't know why you would reveal this kind of info in a review

Couldnt you assume #1 is a thing? i get 2 though, that sucks that he spoiled that part

I honestly miss the days of bullet sponge bosses! I just want sum big ugly mofo I can wail on for a solid 10-15 mins instead of running around trying to figure out which glowing part of the body I need to press a series of buttons to expose next! Fuck that! Just let me fucking fight, i've saved up all this health and ammo for what?!

Too many games have these puzzley boss battles where you gotta run around against some time limit or some crap just to kill the bastard. Just give me heaps of ammo, a big arena like room and the boss.

That's where the Dark Souls games really excelled for me....aside from a couple of bosses where you had to figure out what you were doing....they all required you to look for openings and attack etc, just the basics on an advanced level.

Markitron

Couldnt you assume #1 is a thing? i get 2 though, that sucks that he spoiled that part

I hadn't thought about it, it was obviously a possibility but knowing for certain that it happens has robbed me of it's reveal.

I honestly miss the days of bullet sponge bosses! I just want sum big ugly mofo I can wail on for a solid 10-15 mins

Play Destiny

Probably for the best as the game gets really stupid with the action in chapter 11/12 and 10 is a nightmare of unfun,

jett

D-Member
Okay, I was a bit frustrated and overreacted. :p Still, there have been by my count way too many moments in this game that were frustrating and annoying.

you're going to love what comes next

Chapter 11 and 12 were really disappointing. The game betrayed itself, I felt like I was playing Resident Evil 6 or something. I left it at Chapter 13, maybe with a clearer head I can enjoy this game again.

HeelPower

It's better than a lot of games, not just mediocre/bad ones from a different series.

yeah.

It definitely is.

I just wish it stayed more with mood of chapter 3,4,5 and 9.

Everything that has to do with the that distinct art direction and exploration.

These old houses, the blueish tint etc..

Sanctuary

Finished Akumu mode earlier today. There are a few really tough spots, but overall it's pretty manageable if you try and play smart.

Chapter 6 is the epitome of shit game design and emphasizes the flaws with the combat in this game. Most relate to how sluggish every action is. It was already slow on Survival, but compared to the increased speed of the enemies, it's just ridiculous. I think this is the spot most people will either get stuck on or simply quit.

Markitron

Time for a reboot.

I'm sure the 5 people that like RE6 don't like to hear that but seriously, time for a reboot.

Unfortunately there are a lot more than 5, I have noticed their numbers growing recently on GAF. I'm convinced the fans of that 'game' are in a weird sadistic cult that are hell bent on bringing about the apocalypse.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Unfortunately there are a lot more than 5, I have noticed their numbers growing recently on GAF. I'm convinced the fans of that 'game' are in a weird sadistic cult that are hell bent on bringing about the apocalypse.

Heh I often think the same about mgs4 fans.

jett

D-Member
Heh I often think the same about mgs4 fans.

howimetyourmother-barneyirequestthehighestoffiveshighfive.gif

I played re6 in anticipation of TEW.. Good lord what an awful game, what were they thinking?? And I'm a big fan of re5..

"what were they thinking?"

is like what i wonder every few minutes while playing TEW. Like how could anyone see chapter 11 (or 12) as fun?

That door spawner and stupid fish and all the enemies that just line up to get shot and fall to their death,,, like seriously? lol

"what were they thinking?"

is like what i wonder every few minutes while playing TEW. Like how could anyone see chapter 11 (or 12) as fun?

That door spawner and stupid fish and all the enemies that just line up to get shot and fall to their death,,, like seriously? lol

Why are you still wasting your time with the game then?? i don't think ive seen ANYTHING positive from you about it

ThisOne

Just started Chapter 3. Really liking it so far in spite of the technical issues (framerate, letterboxed FOV, etc.). Getting a little worried though reading all these people complaining about Chapter 10, 11, and 12. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

Top Bottom