• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

hwy_61

Banned
Developers say it's 15-20 hours long, there's a person who's updating how long he's been playing after every chapter, he's completed chapter 8 right now (of 15) and said his playtime was 7 hours and 50 minutes.

Sounds way better than 20 goddamn hours.

AsfaeksBR

Slasher or anyone that have the game: Have you tried using the Konami Code in th main menu or when the Bethesda logo appears? Maybe this will unlock the Hard difficulty right from the get go...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's going to be a very long weekend. I didn't see a lot of leaks, but that still doesn't mean 2 or 3 people can't just spam everywhere imaginable. Make sure to use spoiler tags too.

kodecraft

Someone ease my worries and tell me this isn't just a RE4-2.

Ok, this is RE4-Evolved. Seriously, I always figured this was going to be action-horror.

The man that made RE1, RE2, evolved to RE4 than evolved to Vanquish and is now TEW? Action-horror at it's finest and I'm day one!!

We riot if The Evil Within isn't all in main guy's head and he wakes up in a test tube in Albert Wesker's lab

Also, if you can't pick Hard right from the beginning like you can in Bayonetta 2

I'm not about that Hard on the first playthrough life. Been burned too many times by devs who can't balance their games.

I'm not about that Hard on the first playthrough life. Been burned too many times by devs who can't balance their games.

I feel that, but sometimes that's really the "Normal" setting is Halo 3's Heroic or MGR's Hard, where Normal is just...Papercuts mode or some babby shit. Like its not even fun blowing past dudes without breaking a sweat.

But if you can only start on Normal, I guess thats the way it is

Shinji Kamiya

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I just did a digital preorder on this... no going back now.

Man I hope it's good.

I regret buying like the last 50 games I bought. Please for the love of christ be good. Please. I need one to break in my direction every now and then so I don't lose the faith.

Massive Survival Horror and Resident Evil (pretty much all of them, minus that Operation Raccoon City sewage) fan... don't mind if the games skew a bit toward action or whatever, as long as it's good.

Please be good.

hwy_61

Banned
Well I just did a digital preorder on this... no going back now.

Man I hope it's good.

I regret buying like the last 50 games I bought. Please for the love of christ be good. Please. I need one to break in my direction every now and then so I don't lose the faith.

Massive Survival Horror and Resident Evil (pretty much all of them, minus that Operation Raccoon City sewage) fan... don't mind if the games skew a bit toward action or whatever, as long as it's good.

Please be good.

You should have preordered from a retail store. Now you're out $60 no matter what lol

Evolved1

I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain what The Evil Within is.

That line in Destiny (which I also bought digitally) was so fucking depressing. Goes great with the completely unintelligible gibberish you hear during the Speaker's first unskippable monologue. "I could tell you why... but then I'd actually have to tell you why. So here's some nonsense about frightened children or some such crap that means nothing."

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Some updates

Completed Ch.9
Total Time- 9:15:54

That was the best chapter in the game. The most emotional one probably, this is some sick stuff at the level of Silent Hill series (excluding 2). In every way possible, it was well crafted, puzzles were good, story telling was awesome and it had some fun gameplay with superb art direction. I honestly did not expect the game' s tone and themes to be this mature compared to RE series.

I feel that, but sometimes that's really the "Normal" setting is Halo 3's Heroic or MGR's Hard, where Normal is just...Papercuts mode or some babby shit. Like its not even fun blowing past dudes without breaking a sweat.

But if you can only start on Normal, I guess thats the way it is

But those times when it is balanced well and actually difficult are so good.

First of all, lmao @ Papercuts mode

Second, yeah there's a risk that Normal is too easy, but I can always pump the difficulty up without really destroying my first impression. Some hard modes are straight WTF tier.

Here's my thoughts on the RE4-2 thing

The amount of supplies in TEW seems to be the major point of debate, but that's not really what I'm concerned about. I'm a fan of RE4 for its stellar encounter design, boss battles, length, pacing, variety, and upgrade system. None of those are really dependent on how many shots I fire per battle on average. But those aspects are unique to RE4 because I feel like it's pretty much the only game (or shooter, at least) to pull all that stuff together and execute on such a high level. Whether supplies are common or not, if TEW has that stuff, I'll be good. That's what'll make it RE4-2 for me (or not).

Mononoke

Banned
Some updates

Completed Ch.9

That was the best chapter in the game. The most emotional one probably, this is some sick stuff at the level of Silent Hill series (excluding 2). In every way possible, it was well crafted, puzzles were good, story telling was awesome and it had some fun gameplay with superb art direction. I honestly did not expect the game' s tone and themes to be this mature compared to RE series.

Sorry if a dumb question. But how many chapters are in the game total?

Some updates

Completed Ch.9

Man, I keep telling myself to remain level headed and just be happy with a good modern survival horror and anything better than that is just gravy. But then I read posts like this and I find myself slipping "...guys... this could be really really awesome..." Dang it, I am boarding the hype train, aren't I? Time to leave this thread and play some more Destiny until the 14th...

My play times are always double what others get, usually because I play games very slowly on a first run. Not worried.

Question: Can you play this through to the end(outside of bosses, if it has those) without using a gun?

Evolved1

I... don't understand

There's a spectrum of opinions out there regarding RE4.

Some people don't think it's a good RE game; that it was kind of the beginning of the end of classic RE. Honestly that was probably RE3 when it started to skew more toward action, but I'm in the group that thinks RE4 cemented the new direction for better or worse.

Some people who don't think RE4 is a good RE still think it's a great game. You can also put me in this group, I think RE4 is one of the best games ever made.

Some people just don't like it at all, and they are dumb and have bad taste. You can ignore them.

Some people think RE4 is literally perfect and they are also dumb and should be ignored, unfortunately they have like a cult on gaf that's hard to avoid. Be careful with them, you're really taking a risk if you blaspheme against the church of RE4.

Anyway... it's quite possible a person who wants the classic RE formula (actually I should say survival horror here, instead of RE) would be a bit putt off by an RE4-style game, but honestly that's their own fault for having weird expectations.

hwy_61

Banned
My play times are always double what others get, usually because I play games very slowly on a first run. Not worried.

Question: Can you play this through to the end(outside of bosses, if it has those) without using a gun?

I also take forever to play through games, but only because I'm obsessive about scouring every nook and cranny of every room.

Lucent

Some updates

Completed Ch.9

What version?

First of all, lmao @ Papercuts mode

Second, yeah there's a risk that Normal is too easy, but I can always pump the difficulty up without really destroying my first impression. Some hard modes are straight WTF tier.

My favorite type of Hard modes are the ones that actually switch up enemy placements and shit. Like in Ninja Gaiden Black brown struggle ninjas are now white skilled ninjas, and white ninjas are now badass black ninjas, or strategies that flat out don't work so well on harder levels, ya know. Like its not just, "Ok, its Normal mode...but now they have 8x health and you die in one hit have fun :3". Flip a couple of nobs here and there, ship it out.

But if Normal is the way Mikami wants it, Riposte is just gonna have to suck it up. If its anything like RE4 or Godhand, the difficulty will change a bit depending on how good or bad you're doing anyway.

BTW, totally unrelated but uh...you're getting Temple of Osiris for PS4 right?

Lucent

ps3 fairly certain.

edit; nevermind if that was actually his experience. They have been following a ps3 player with his time also.

Yeah was just wondering cuz some ppl for ps3 have been like "ew doesn't look good" but that post was like "this game is great". Lol.

Getting PS4 version myself though.

Some traps will force you to use the gun from what has been shown in various videos, but I guess that's different from using it on enemies.
--

This game is looking more and more like the real deal. Can't wait for tuesday to get here, it's been a long time since I was really excited for a survival horror game. Also, it's October, gah, best time to be playing this game!

antitrop

Wait, so Normal isn't that hard and drops a lot of ammo?
That means I don't need to play on Easy?

It's time to become a man.

tumblr_mpxxxcdHoO1steklgo1_500.gif

Damnit, I want a white PS4 for this, but I don't want Destiny. Gamestop's trade in value is at 35$ right now... Debating whether or not to take the hit so I can have my black and white beauties (Wii U and PS4) like I did last gen.

There's a spectrum of opinions out there regarding RE4.

Indeed. I'm in the group that thinks the Village and the Castle are some of the best 12ish hours ever burned onto a disc, but the Island was a significant drop in cohesion and quality.

Some traps will force you to use the gun from what has been shown in various videos, but I guess that's different from using it on enemies.

Thanks. Some of my favorite fun has come from games that give guns as options, but don't require them to finish the game. I've been on a semi blackout of this, so I don't really know much at all outside of you use traps and get some trap parts from defeating enemies.

Top Bottom