• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I have no reason to think this won't top RE4 when it's all said and done.

The core gameplay is pretty much RE4++. It has the basic shooting down, but with the added trap, stealth, and enemy burning mechanics. All of those seem to be well done.

I'm not worried about scenario design at all. If one thing Mikami excels at, is keeping things fresh and varied, while keeping padding to a bare minimum. Considering it's supposedly around 15 hours long, I'm sure there's more than enough cool stuff there.

Believe it or not, I'm most worried about this having as memorable characters and dialogue as RE4. I don't like my Mikami games to be too serious.

Not to mention that this has been in development for quite some time, and with a good budget to boot. I'm sure it's not rushed.

So this has been my most anticipated game since hearing about it way before next gen consoles even came out. So far every next gen game has left me really disappointed, espcially Destiny. The Last of Us Remastered for me is the only game worth purchasing and only if you did not play it on Ps3.

I am really hopeful that The Evil Within delivers on a proper survival horror experience. It really does not need to do anything special or new, it just needs to be like Resident Evil 4 with next gen graphics! Is that really too much to ask? I think not, come Shinji give us the sleeper of the year! After all these games that have ben hyped up the wazoo it would be awesome to see something that gamers embrace without all the bullshit. Infact the gaming industry really needs it cuz these publishers, marketing, hype trains etc have just gone out of control.

The Souls series did it last gen and I have faith Shinji will make his come back this gen! Come on mate, in Shinji we trust! 1 more week baby!

-MD-

The core gameplay is pretty much RE4++. It has the basic shooting down, but with the added trap, stealth, and enemy burning mechanics. All of those seem to be well done.

I'm not worried about scenario design at all. If one thing Mikami excels at, is keeping things fresh and varied, while keeping padding to a bare minimum. Considering it's supposedly around 15 hours long, I'm sure there's more than enough cool stuff there.

Believe it or not, I'm most worried about this having as memorable characters and dialogue as RE4. I don't like my Mikami games to be too serious.

I think my main concern is just feeling too powerful, that's why all the RE4 comparisons are bothering me a bit. Folks saying enemies will drop 6 bullets at a time and stuff on normal isn't what I want, ammo = power. That and conserving ammo by stealthing makes it sound like there's nothin to worry about and you'll make it out of situations np.

Hopefully hard or akumu are more my speed. It's lame that my first experience with it has to be on normal.

If there's one thing I won't stand for, it's hating on "meh."

Meh is amazing. Takes a bunch of words and reduces it into one concise verbal shrug of the shoulders.

ironcreed

Banned
So this has been my most anticipated game since hearing about it way before next gen consoles even came out. So far every next gen game has left me really disappointed, espcially Destiny. The Last of Us Remastered for me is the only game worth purchasing and only if you did not play it on Ps3.

I am really hopeful that The Evil Within delivers on a proper survival horror experience. It really does not need to do anything special or new, it just needs to be like Resident Evil 4 with next gen graphics! Is that really too much to ask? I think not, come Shinji give us the sleeper of the year! After all these games that have ben hyped up the wazoo it would be awesome to see something that gamers embrace without all the bullshit. Infact the gaming industry really needs it cuz these publishers, marketing, hype trains etc have just gone out of control.

The Souls series did it last gen and I have faith Shinji will make his come back this gen! Come on mate, in Shinji we trust! 1 more week baby!

Man, Japanese games need a renaissance period. But yeah, an old school survivor horror game with flashbacks of classic RE is long overdue.

Note to reviewers - what reflects back to the old is not necessarily bad. Not everything has to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes being reminded of that which has been lost serves the purpose even more. Something to keep in mind.

Man, Japanese games need a renaissance period. But yeah, an old school survivor horror game with flashbacks of classic RE is long overdue.

Note to reviewers - what reflects back to the old is not necessarily bad. Not everything has to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes being reminded of that which has been lost serves the purpose even more. Something to keep in mind.

This.

Not to mention that this has been in development for quite some time, and with a good budget to boot. I'm sure it's not rushed.

So good to hear this. I am going into this game completely blind (like most games), all I have seen and know about it is from that original trailer where you are hung upside down like a piece of meat and then you make a run for it. So basically about 3-4 mins of gameplay is basically all I have seen. No screenshots, no other info at all except that yea you can use traps.

I have no problems with the game giving you ammo etc as long as the enemies are hella hard. You can be armed to the teeth and still need to kite and strategize your gameplay and this is what makes games fun for me. Barely having any supplies to last you really irks me in games cuz I am the stingiest bastard you will ever meet playing any game (e.g if I miss a shot I reload my last save lol) so if I ever run out of supplies I know the game is just not dropping enough which imo is wrong. There should always be enough supplies to deal with every single enemy in the game even if it means not wasting a single bullet (because I play games with that mechanic in mind).

Can't belive this is only a week away. The last time I was this excited for a game was the original Dead Space and that completely blew away all expectations I had for it and ended up being the best survival horror since RE4.

Meh is amazing. Takes a bunch of words and reduces it into one concise verbal shrug of the shoulders.

In a world of hyperbole, where everything is either OMG AMAAAAZING or holy fuck that was the worst piece of shit I've ever experienced in my life, it could use a bit more meh.

Yeah. That's what the world needs, more lazy "words" so you don't have to really describe your opinions at all. u no wat i mean, rite? k... kool.
This is a discussion forum. People should encouraged to be descriptive and accurate describe their feelings/opinions/viewpoints. Using a "word" that could mean any number of things in place of, y'know, actual words, is just bullshit.

--

Was someone streaming the game or something -- I found an hour of PS4 footage, but without sitting down and watching from start to finish, I was unable to find an instance where the player opted for weapon based combat and thus I could not confirm whether or not the FOV has changed (as it has in the trailers) to only show the hands and weapon when aiming...

ironcreed

Banned
In a world of hyperbole, where everything is either OMG AMAAAAZING or holy fuck that was the worst piece of shit I've ever experienced in my life, it could use a bit more meh.

But 'meh' falls right in line with 'piece of shit', so you are not exactly walking the middle ground. Oh well, so much for keeping an open mind.

All these recent impressions. Oh my....OH MY!
wLPb5BG.jpg

AsfaeksBR

In a time where DriveClub lost score in reviews because it isn't Open World, I'm pretty sure reviewers will shit on these "reflects back to the old" moments.
At least there's Jim Sterling which is a more "gamer" than just a reviewer and he'll probably appreciate it

In a time where DriveClub lost score in reviews because it isn't Open World, I'm pretty sure reviewers will shit on these "reflects back to the old" moments.
At least there's Jim Sterling which is a more "gamer" than just a reviewer and he'll probably appreciate it

The same dipshit Jim Sterling that gave Alpha Protocol a 2, and Vanquish a 5. Such a gamer.

in2VZN5xm6jK1.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Meh is just another flavour of the problem you're describing. Lazy writers who can't be bothered articulating a cogent thought.

Yeah. That's what the world needs, more lazy "words" so you don't have to really describe your opinions at all. u no wat i mean, rite? k... kool.
This is a discussion forum. People should encouraged to be descriptive and accurate describe their feelings/opinions/viewpoints. Using a "word" that could mean any number of things in place of, y'know, actual words, is just bullshit

You seem vexed.

If you meh'd a little more, you wouldn't be so wound up, bud. It's a pretty flexible term, good for all sorts of reactions. Case in point: Someone using a word you don't like? Meh, whatever.

ironcreed

Banned

I would not be the least bit surprised and even expect it in some cases. But again, I leave reviewers with this one thought - Sometimes that which is old, becomes new again. Fuck reinventing the wheel, when the survival horror genre has been missing from the wheel. Old does not equate to bad, especially when it comes to games like Mikami was known for.

Lucent

Can't wait for the defintive super awesome mega mind fuck we're sorry PC gamers remastered in 60FPS edition in a few years...

Uhh didn't they say you could enable it through debug? Sounds fair enough to me. They designed it to be played in 30fps. Nothing for them to apologize for.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Uhh didn't they say you could enable it through debug? Sounds fair enough to me. They designed it to be played in 30fps. Nothing for them to apologize for.

It's enableable in debug, but they've said "we will not be officially supporting it" which means that if 60fps is entirely buggy, it is not something they intend to fix.

It's like saying "We'll give you enough to check a box, but not necessarily what you really want."

Of course, it could end up being perfect at 60, but we won't know until it's out and the way they've talked on it makes it seem really fishy.

Yes, but the also don't recommend it. Putting the game at 60FPS could/will cause all sorts of physics based and animation issues.

Sanctuary

This is a discussion forum. People should encouraged to be descriptive and accurate describe their feelings/opinions/viewpoints. Using a "word" that could mean any number of things in place of, y'know, actual words, is just bullshit.

Give it a decade or so, and you'll probably eventually learn to accept the things you can't change. I know it took me a while at least.

Here's one thing I'll never tire of correcting people on though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
(I want a hover fort!)

On a side note, did you know that some schools are seriously considering doing away with cursive because of how much more people communicate now through texting? They are basically saying physically writing has become outdated and people might be confused by all of those curves and loops.

Sanctuary

Nope.

Although I think I'm being a bit harsh on Assassin's Creed 2. I'd give it a 6.

I actually thought Assassin's Creed 2 was excellent. And it was, compared to the previous game and until I realized that even a much more likeable cast and narrative couldn't really save me from boredom about two-thirds of the way through.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
last update for the night

CHAPTER 10 FINISHED
TOTAL PLAY TIME
10 44 47

Chapter 11 start
Half Health
2 Syringes
Handgun 22 bullets
Shotgun 6
Sniper Rifle 2
Agony Bow
Flash Bolt 1
Shock Bolt 1

I guess either i was good or was lucky, maybe both with the last chapter's boss. I found many items after i killed it.

Going to get some sleep now. See you guys in a few.

kodecraft

CHAPTER 10 FINISHED
TOTAL PLAY TIME
10 44 47

Chapter 11 start
Half Health
2 Syringes
Handgun 22 bullets
Shotgun 6
Sniper Rifle 2
Agony Bow
Flash Bolt 1
Shock Bolt 1

I guess either i was good or was lucky, maybe both with the last chapter's boss. I found many items after i killed it.

Thanks!

CHAPTER 10 FINISHED
TOTAL PLAY TIME
10 44 47

Chapter 11 start
Half Health
2 Syringes
Handgun 22 bullets
Shotgun 6
Sniper Rifle 2
Agony Bow
Flash Bolt 1
Shock Bolt 1

Is it fun.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nope.

Although I think I'm being a bit harsh on Assassin's Creed 2. I'd give it a 6.

I tried three times to finish AC2, always gave up somewhere in mid-game. The story drags itself too long and setting is boring as hell to me.

So yeah i would give it a 6 as well.

Top Bottom