• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dez_

Considering finishing up another nightmare playthrough before jumping into Assignment Kidman. Playing NG+, so it feels pretty nice to steamroll through everything for a change. Don't want to get too comfortable like that though.

I FINISHED IT.

FINALLY.

181 deaths, wow. On Survivor mode.

I'll try to write a mini review tomorrow.

You know, I thought I understood the story pretty well until the cutscene at the beginning of chapter 15.
What's with the Sebastian clone, or whatever he was?

hmmm, it says the dlc is installed but every time I select it from the dlc tab in the game menu it just takes me back to the title screen. help?

-MD-

Is there a description for Kurayami? Or do you have to beat it once before it unlocks?

Don't see one. You click new game, it gives you a brightness option and throws you right into it. Probably need to finish it once.

The options menu seems to be separate from the base game's menu, I had to turn off enemy indicators and motion blur again for example.

Dez_

Nice, it finally unlocked for me too. Gonna give it a go when I have the time tomorrow. I'm interested in reading people's impressions, though.

-MD-

Ah the first puzzle was actually pretty clever.

Edit: rofl... found a little easter egg (sorta).

Edit 2: chapter 1 took me an hour and 40 minutes.

-MD-

This is me right now http://youtu.be/hkPkC-U8xzs?t=6s

They weren't kidding when they said the DLC was dark.

How come Juli can't walk?

edit: please dont tell me this entire thing is stealth and hiding...

Most of it is stealthing around evading enemies and collecting items/doing puzzles

--------

Sleepy impressions:

I finished it up, time clocked was 3 hours 5 minutes w/ 5 deaths. There's no actual shooting in this episode outside of one brief part, combat is very sparse and comes in the form of axes you can pick up. The collectables are a bit different from the main game, you can unlock
5 songs, 5 models, audio logs etc
, there are like
7 pieces of a letter that you have to put together as a sort of mini-game
you can collect each one requiring you to solve a puzzle, I think 3 of the puzzles are unique and the others repeat w/ slight variation. I somehow missed like 3/7 pieces and I was taking my time looking for stuff. There's a couple more unique puzzles that aren't tied to collectables, overall the puzzles are a step up from the main game imo.

Kurayami mode says
everything is complete darkness, you only have your flashlight to guide you
. Yikes.

Overall I liked it and I'm glad I bought it, played it the whole way through in one sitting and it was interesting seeing certain things through Juli's eyes, one part let me go into an area I really wanted to visit when I was Seb but there wasn't much to see there lol, still cool. It's definitely more focused on scares than the main game, my headset was cranked and I did jump a couple times in the first chapter, it's very dark most of the time and they really play around with ambient sounds in certain areas. There's one
jump scare that repeats like 3 or 4 times
which was a bit overkill though, once or twice would've been fine. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of shooting which kind of kills the replay value, I really missed popping heads.

As far as lingering questions, I feel like it's mostly setting up the 2nd DLC. This basically just tells you what Kidman is doing there and some minor info about her past and why she's not constantly getting her shit pushed in like Seb and Joseph. Bring on episode 2 and the sequel :p

Pretty disappointed with the lack of combat, which is my favorite part of TEW. The puzzles were pretty nice and a good diversion, paired with some good combat encounters this would have been ace. But the entire focus on stealth just ruins the whole thing for me, that's not what I play TEW for.

Sad too because the thematic elements and story elements around it are really good and add a lot to the overall narrative of the game. I imagine people who were very confused with some of TEW's more vague elements and did not dig deeper will learn a lot from it.

kodecraft

Pretty disappointed with the lack of combat, which is my favorite part of TEW. The puzzles were pretty nice and a good diversion, paired with some good combat encounters this would have been ace. But the entire focus on stealth just ruins the whole thing for me, that's not what I play TEW for.

Sad too because the thematic elements and story elements around it are really good and add a lot to the overall narrative of the game. I imagine people who were very confused with some of TEW's more vague elements and did not dig deeper will learn a lot from it.

Thanks for the impressions. I was hoping Kidman's story had some unique combat, I mean I thought I read she used knives. Anyways, bring on the rest of the DLC, but consequent, I want something new from Tango

Wow, stealth only, pretty ballsy for a game with such great combat mechanics. I do like stealth games though, so I'll probably enjoy it. And the story sounds interesting too.

That Kurayami description though...
SQZMy7d.gif

Does it seem feasible?

mattp

its ALL stealth? hmm :\
kind of makes me want to wait and play this after dlc #2 comes out, so i can play them both back to back as a single longer "game". i think it'll make the stealth feel less disappointing if it eventually leads into a more combat heavy dlc#2

kodecraft

its ALL stealth? hmm :
kind of makes me want to wait and play this after dlc #2 comes out, so i can play them both back to back as a single longer "game". i think it'll make the stealth feel less disappointing if it eventually leads into a more combat heavy dlc#2

I hope this is the case.

-MD-

Wow, stealth only, pretty ballsy for a game with such great combat mechanics. I do like stealth games though, so I'll probably enjoy it. And the story sounds interesting too.

That Kurayami description though...
SQZMy7d.gif

Does it seem feasible?

I haven't given Kurayami a go yet but it seems doable, it'll make a couple situations a bit tougher for sure though.

myco666

Have to wait for tomorrow to get the DLC because EU Store update. Disappointed that it is heavily focused on stealth but atleast impressions seem positive so far.

Nemmy

Roughly halfway through ch 2 of the DLC, a bunch of quick impressions (trying to keep them as spoiler free as it gets):
- getting rid of combat was a bad idea. It was one of TEW's strongest assets, and without it the whole survival angle (which was great) is gone. There's no resource management (and little point in exploring sans collectibles and audio tapes), and no "fight or flight" - and while I am having fun while it lasts, I can't see any replay value in the DLC, aside from achievement hunting maybe. And that's not good. Keep in mind this comes from someone who doesn't really like stealth games in general though.
- the atmosphere is magnificent, especially in ch 2. The new enemies are great and fit the rest of the roster nicely. The story so far is pretty much "well, duh" for someone who was paying attention in the base game. But yeah any actual reveals are probably saved for part 2. One interesting story-related thing is
that Seb and Joseph are seen in a different area than they were in ch 5 during the same events - obviously Kidman's perception of the place is different than Seb's at that point.
- Kidman is boring and makes me miss playing as Seb.

sphinx

the piano man
I casually opened my game case (PS4 here) and saw there is a voucher to download the fighting chance pack....

I put the code and it says it's either wrong or invalid... I bought the game new, shrinkwrapped...

is it really not longer valid??

EDIT: Wait a sec...the error I got (E-82000134) is for wrong country... I bought the game from UK and I am playing it in Germany, is this really country locked??? WHAT THE FUCK?? we are not EU anymore?!

myco666

Finished the DLC just under 3 hours with 8 deaths and missed couple of collectibles. Atmosphere was really good and puzzles were good although some of them were really easy. Boss fights were great especially
Joseph
and new enemy designs were fantastic.

Story felt pretty much a prequal to second Kidman DLC but it still managed to give more info about Kidman and made some story elements of the base game more fleshed out. Not much new things that wasn't already known though.

Biggest gripe for me for this DLC is the lack of combat. I would be fine with one chapter like this but two is kinda stretch. Hopefully second DLC will have more focus on combat.

I casually opened my game case (PS4 here) and saw there is a voucher to download the fighting chance pack....

I put the code and it says it's either wrong or invalid... I bought the game new, shrinkwrapped...

is it really not longer valid??

EDIT: Wait a sec...the error I got (E-82000134) is for wrong country... I bought the game from UK and I am playing it in Germany, is this really country locked??? WHAT THE FUCK?? we are not EU anymore?!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the fighting chance pack is absolutely worthless in every way

sphinx

the piano man
WTF, I haven't made up my mind about the DLC and the trophies (spoilers and all) are already there. fuck them teasers.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the fighting chance pack is absolutely worthless in every way

turns out my account is from the US >_< I made it in 2011 for my PSP, decided online shopping was not worth it at the time and never used it, fast forward 2015, I retrieve it and bam DLC region locked.

I've been told I should do a 2nd, EU account to redeem vouchers like that, then once the DLC has been downloaded I should change accounts and play with it. No idea if that works

myco666

turns out my account is from the US >_< I made it in 2011 for my PSP, decided online shopping was not worth it at the time and never used it, fast forward 2015, I retrieve it and bam DLC region locked.

I've been told I should do a 2nd, EU account to redeem vouchers like that, then once the DLC has been downloaded I should change accounts and play with it. No idea if that works

That should work. Atleast I have done this couple of times when I got bonus DLC for US games.

Salsa

well shit im on chapter 12 and I missed the magnum :/

can I get it later on? I dont wanna make the endgame more difficult for me but I also dont wanna replay the chapter..

fuck.

-MD-

well shit im on chapter 12 and I missed the magnum :/

can I get it later on? I dont wanna make the endgame more difficult for me but I also dont wanna replay the chapter..

fuck.

You'll find it in the next briefcase, early chapter 13 I believe.

Is it clear how the game performed relative to the Beth's expectations? Really hoping for a sequel down the line. As time has passed I've come to realize just how much I loved the game's approach to combat and variety in contrast between the open and claustrophobic areas.

Last chapter is still total bunk, although I appreciated the
Third Birthday
rip off.

-MD-

I do the complete opposite. no idea what happened but after reading online it seems some people missed it toó

I blame letterboxing (?)

I doubt most people missed it, it's not exactly hidden. The briefcases are there for that purpose though.

Neiteio

Is it clear how the game performed relative to the Beth's expectations? Really hoping for a sequel down the line. As time has passed I've come to realize just how much I loved the game's approach to combat and variety in contrast between the open and claustrophobic areas.

Last chapter is still total bunk, although I appreciated the
Third Birthday
rip off.
Last chapter has so many amazing moments. The balls-to-the-wall arena fight that literally came down to the last bullet for me, the
dual Keeper
battle, the maze sequence, and dat final boss... So over-the-top. Love the bit where you're
running as he rakes his fingers across the ground.

The arena segment is what
ruined the chapter for me, just feels like padding and the area is ugly compared to the rest of the game(and not in an interesting way) I played on hard or whatever the highest default was and I had plenty of ammo although I'm a cautious player.

Final boss just felt way out of place to me, it was over the top in a fun way sure but it felt like it belonged in a different game.

I like the explanation of the final boss being a total crazy over the top moment being that it was after Ruvik had left the STEM via Leslie, and Sebastian's consciousness takes over and starts framing things into an action hero style, complete with rocket launcher out of nowhere. The fight itself is meh but I consider the challenges before that to be the real 'final boss' of the game. You have the arena as a challenge based on the general mob gameplay, the dual keepers as your boss challenge, and the skylights traps parts as a navigation challenge. All stuff you should be pro at by now.

Nemmy

I like the explanation of the final boss being a total crazy over the top moment being that it was after Ruvik had left the STEM via Leslie, and Sebastian's consciousness takes over and starts framing things into an action hero style, complete with rocket launcher out of nowhere. The fight itself is meh but I consider the challenges before that to be the real 'final boss' of the game. You have the arena as a challenge based on the general mob gameplay, the dual keepers as your boss challenge, and the skylights traps parts as a navigation challenge. All stuff you should be pro at by now.

I remember reading this explanation in the spoiler thread once and feeling my mind completely blown with how much sense it makes. The whole sequence being basically
an over the top power fantasy, taking the concept of "fighting a super ugly creature in a nightmare world while being unbelievably BADASS" and just running with it. I got a machinegun! Now he knocked me away from it but I got a rocket launcher, time to eat rockets baby! Had your fill? Well let me finish you off with a single bullet right to the face!
It all fits almost too perfectly compared to the other explanation of "they just stuck an action game boss fight at the end for no reason."

sphinx

the piano man
my only problem with the last chapter is that it doesn't feel like it wraps up the gameplay well.

I mean, in this kind of games I expect the last chapter to be straigthforward and have me in a final show down with whatever is the final boss.

but Chapter 15 drags on and on having Sebastian running in circles around beacon hospital, but the time I got to the hallway with the stealth area and the eye ball above I was like "god please take me to the final boss all-fucking-ready!!!"...and then you have to still fight enemies in the next area including a fake ruvik...

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for the double post but I wonder if you guys can give me some tips to make my Akumu and "no upgrade" runs as fast and easy as possible...so some questions here:

No upgrade (will be done on casual)

.- what's the best choice of weapons for unavoidable enemy encounters?
.- Bosses that aren't avoidable like the big thing at the end of chapter 10, the sadist, the keepers, etc. how do I beat them, realistically? my weapons will be shit by then.....

Akumu

.- should I play it stealthy and run from everything or take it slowly and grab as many things as possible killing everyone one beast at a time?
.- what are some thing that I should upgrade as soon as possible? I read that my sprint ability should be maxed at the first opportunity. What else?
.- the weapon I get after beating this, the knuckle brass, can I use it in a new game? meaning: if I beat akumu first, will I be able to use that weapon on the no-upgrade runthrough?

thanks for any help

myco666

sorry for the double post but I wonder if you guys can give me some tips to make my Akumu and "no upgrade" runs as fast and easy as possible...so some questions here:

No upgrade (will be done on casual)

.- what's the best choice of weapons for unavoidable enemy encounters?
.- Bosses that aren't avoidable like the big thing at the end of chapter 10, the sadist, the keepers, etc. how do I beat them, realistically? my weapons will be shit by then.....

Akumu

.- should I play it stealthy and run from everything or take it slowly and grab as many things as possible killing everyone one beast at a time?
.- what are some thing that I should upgrade as soon as possible? I read that my sprint ability should be maxed at the first opportunity. What else?
.- the weapon I get after beating this, the knuckle brass, can I use it in a new game? meaning: if I beat akumu first, will I be able to use that weapon on the no-upgrade runthrough?

thanks for any help

No Upgrade run.

Since your max ammo count will be low you are going to be switching weapons a lot. I recommend to get as much trap parts as possible since there is no limit to them.

Bosses are surprisingly easy even without upgrades. Use magnum for the bosses in the late game. Harpoon, shotgun and rifle are also really good for bosses.

Akumu mode

IMO you should try to take out most of the enemies so that you get more green gel.

I don't think you should put sprint to the max at any point. Lvl 4 maybe tops. Stock upgrades are easily best in the early game so that you won't have to leave as many bullets behind. Also weapon power and critical are good upgrades and for bolts harpoon and flash are best.

Brass knuckles are NG+ only so you can't use them in no upgrade run.

Nemmy

The Assignment really suffers from having only five minutes of shooting.

For real. And those five minutes are really silly.

(ending spoiler)
Also Kidman's gun has magic bullets apparently, seeing how she waves it at Ruvik and Leslie despite having previously emptied it during the aforementioned five minutes. She's supposedly contemplating killing Leslie at that point, but there isn't a single scene of her finding a clip in the game, so... how exactly is that supposed to work? Not to mention the whole "character has a gun in cutscenes but not in gameplay" thing is annoying and dumb.

For real. And those five minutes are really silly.

(ending spoiler)
Also Kidman's gun has magic bullets apparently, seeing how she waves it at Ruvik and Leslie despite having previously emptied it during the aforementioned five minutes. She's supposedly contemplating killing Leslie at that point, but there isn't a single scene of her finding a clip in the game, so... how exactly is that supposed to work? Not to mention the whole "character has a gun in cutscenes but not in gameplay" thing is annoying and dumb.

She has Joseph's gun, and we know the ammo in that gun is infinite.
Sad really.

Gents,

Currently doing my Nightmare run and was thinking I would throw Assignment in there.

Around which Chapter would be a good place to put it in you think?

Top Bottom