• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Salsa

chapter 7

I adore this game.

ive turned letterbox off in some open areas but framerate really dips so im mostly playing with it on

im baffled at the reception the game got. its fantastic

Seanspeed

Banned
chapter 7

I adore this game.

ive turned letterbox off in some open areas but framerate really dips so im mostly playing with it on

You can do an in-between with the letterboxing. My TEW looked like this:

Felt like it kept the cinematic ratio, while not feeling limiting.

And yes, this game is awesome. Much of the bad reception came from the crappier console versions.

chapter 7

I adore this game.

add this to your launcher. It killed all the frame drops for me. granted im on a 290 but it should help everyone.

+fs_cachepath "C:\TheEvilWithinCache"

Open up your C:\ drive and create a new folder called "TheEvilWithinCache"

-MD-

Most of the negativity seems to come from chapter9 onwards.

Some folks had a hard time with chapters 9/10 due to Ruvik and the bosses but to others those are the best chapters in the game. I think a lot of people would agree chapters 11 and 12 to be the low point in the game so those are brought up occasionally.

But most of the criticism that I've seen thrown at it revolves around the technical issues related to the console versions. Lots of "the letterboxing sucks!" or "the frame rate hovers in the mid 20's" comments. Stuff you don't have to deal with if you have the PC version and a decent computer. A solid 30fps on the console versions would've gone a long way.

Salsa

add this to your launcher. It killed all the frame drops for me. granted im on a 290 but it should help everyone.

+fs_cachepath "C:\TheEvilWithinCache"

Open up your C:\ drive and create a new folder called "TheEvilWithinCache"

hm, didnt really do anything

if I delete the launch command can I delete that folder to go back?

-MD-

any word on whether this game will get a proper sequel after the DLC??

I think it's too early for sequel talk.

I'd like to know where it's currently at sales-wise though, it has to be well over a million units at this point.

Szadek

I think it's too early for sequel talk.

I'd like to know where it's currently at sales-wise though, it has to be well over a million units at this point.
This is all I could find:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/11/14/the-evil-within-breaks-record-for-sales-in-the-survival-horror-genre/

Somewhere I read something about 800k in the first week.
If that's true it should be at least between 1.5-2 million sales by now.

I'm pretty sure that this game will get a sequel.
Gameplaywise it's a perfect jumping point for a new series and the problems they game had can easily be fixed in a sequel.

-MD-

This is all I could find:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/11/14/the-evil-within-breaks-record-for-sales-in-the-survival-horror-genre/

Somewhere I read something about 800k in the first week.
If that's true it should be at least between 1.5-2 million sales by now.

I'm pretty sure that this game will get a sequel.
Gameplaywise it's a perfect jumping point for a new series and the problems they game had can easily be fixed in a sequel.

I do recall that ~700-800k figure last year, then it did 125k+ first week sales in Japan. If that thread on the front page is correct it moved about 250k on PC.

1.5-2m seems reasonable, I have to imagine that would be considered a success.

I do recall that ~700-800k figure last year, then it did 125k+ first week sales in Japan. If that thread on the front page is correct it moved about 250k on PC.

1.5-2m seems reasonable, I have to imagine that would be considered a success.

That's really good for a game like it. I am glad it sold.

Nemmy

Some folks had a hard time with chapters 9/10 due to Ruvik and the bosses but to others those are the best chapters in the game. I think a lot of people would agree chapters 11 and 12 to be the low point in the game so those are brought up occasionally.

But most of the criticism that I've seen thrown at it revolves around the technical issues related to the console versions. Lots of "the letterboxing sucks!" or "the frame rate hovers in the mid 20's" comments. Stuff you don't have to deal with if you have the PC version and a decent computer. A solid 30fps on the console versions would've gone a long way.

I totally understand the technical issues comments to be honest, TEW is a lot of things but a technical marvel it isn't. I'm personally OK with the letterboxing and I think the complaints about it were overblown, but if it caused nausea for me like it did for some people I'd be talking differently for sure.
And there was a bunch of jank in the game at launch that I think patches at least partially fixed.

But then there was a buttload of "too hard," "unfair," "not enaff ammo!!!" complaints that I just smh at.

sphinx

the piano man

I think it was rather insane to put
Laura AND THEN the big thing right afterwards
, it's not like the chapter division or the world itself make any sense, they could have put that later on.

the lowest point of the game to me is the
wrecked city
towards the end, it looked cool for a couple of minutes then it was boring and dragged for too long, til then the game had managed to make its corridor nature entertaining but at that point I was like "YET another building?.. get this over with please" and it dragged over 2 or 3 chapters. way too much. The game would be perfection with 1 or 2 less chapters

exactly the same happened to me with RE4, the last part of the Island I was starting to feel the game was overstaying its welcome.

gelf

exactly the same happened to me with RE4, the last part of the Island I was starting to feel the game was overstaying its welcome.

I always felt that the Island part of RE4 gets too much of a free pass, Regenerator's in the labs aside I really don't like that section. The gatling gun enemies and the like are like the signpost for Resident Evil losing its way for me.

sphinx

the piano man
I always felt that the Island part of RE4 gets too much of a free pass, Regenerator's in the labs aside I really don't like that section. The gatling gun enemies and the like are like the signpost for Resident Evil losing its way for me.

it doesn't help that both Village and Castle where superb in every sense, looked amazing, played amazing, gameplay is still fresh by then and killing ganados hasn't gotten old.

in comparison Island looks meh, and it offers little in terms of expanding the game play or the adventure, near the end it mutates into some kind of single player call fo duty with its over-the-top shooting.

It didn't need that.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Maybe I'm being really slow, but Evil Within is basically a better translated way of saying Resident Evil. This game apes 4 so much it is crazy. Not necessarily a bad thing, though!

Maybe I'm being really slow, but Evil Within is basically a better translated way of saying Resident Evil. This game apes 4 so much it is crazy. Not necessarily a bad thing, though!

is it really aping if its more of an evolution of the previous ape with prettier skin but a little slow on the motor skills.

Always felt that RE4 gets a little worse once you leave the Village, but the Castle is still great fun.

The Island, I think, isn't very fun though. I lose motivation to keep playing once I hit that area. It sucks because you miss out on Regenerators and Krauser.

I think it is because the game overstays its welcome as others have said here.

The village is easily the high point of Resident Evil 4, and it gets constantly worse, but only by a little. The Evil Within, in my opinion, had it's high points more evenly spaced out. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love RE4 but there's no denying the village is the most exciting location in the game (especially the first big fight)

I like chapter 11 because I feel it's a good change of setting from the mansion and the dungeon. It's daytime and the entire city is going to shit. I think it fits well story wise.

Neiteio

I like chapter 11 because I feel it's a good change of setting from the mansion and the dungeon. It's daytime and the entire city is going to shit. I think it fits well story wise.
Ch. 11 is definitely one of my favorites. The environment is incredibly detailed (especially the backdrop), and there is amazing variety and pacing. I don't mind the handful of gun-toting enemies at all; I think the several encounters featuring them were designed well around the need to survive against an enemy with ranged projectiles.

Only thing I would've liked to see in Ch. 11 is a proper boss fight, although the entirety of Ch. 12 is like a boss fight follow-up to Ch. 11, and Ch. 11 does introduce the Hooded Haunted (False Ruviks), so there's that.

just finished the game
i really like it except some thing the enemy with the guns and the last chapter was awful, the black bar but beside those little things I love the fact there is a new game plus, new weapons , and the game took me 15 hours to beats i hope they make a evil within 2 i played it on ps4

So this game is pretty great now. I just finished Chapter 8, and the frame rate issues are gone now.

Chapter 7 was awesome, it is so tense. Racing against the clock AND running from the Keeper. This game doesn't play.

ThisOne

I just started a new game (haven't ever actually beat the game yet) and I'm wondering if I'll get the Fighting Chance items again at Chapter 3. Anyone know?

You know, I think the inspiration for Chapter 9 actually comes from Ao Oni.

Both involve being trapped in a mansion, and running away from some unstoppable monster that follows you into rooms, and instantly kills if he touches you.

-MD-

We're so close... must have... dlc...

They're posting a ton of pictures and stuff on social media but I've avoided most of it.

I started a new game to prepare for the assignment and I died about 5 times trying to sneak past the sadist. Lol. I'm rusty.

His pattern is surprisingly hard to pick up on. It took me 5 times the first time playing to get past him, and double that on my Akumu playthrough since they change the room's layout a bit which caught me off guard.

Jebral

I'm so ashamed of myself! I got the season pass when it was on sale a while back so I'm ready for the DLC, but I haven't finished the main game yet.

I love it and all, but there was a late game boss (ch 10) that made me sputter out.

Now I'm all rusty and unprepared for the new stuff :(

Akumu has that effect on people. You should play the ch11 warehouse on Akumu. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry when I first got there lmao.
I've actually finished the game on akumu. Its funny. Now I'm playing on nightmare but I don't remember some enemies from akumu. In chapter 2 I got suprised a few times. I thought I had everything mesmerized. I also don't remember enemies having eyes in the back of their heads. It just goes to show than if you plan on tackling the higher difficulties, you gotta be determined. It's like since I've done it before I find my myself lacking the patience to stealth kill enemies in the first couple chapters. But starting a new game has been awesome. I haven't done one since I did the no upgrade run.

gryvan

You know, I think the inspiration for Chapter 9 actually comes from Ao Oni.

Both involve being trapped in a mansion, and running away from some unstoppable monster that follows you into rooms, and instantly kills if he touches you.

except that the unstoppable monster in Ao Oni doesn't freaking teleport literally right in your face if your not running ~.~

So I decided to finish up my no upgrade Nightmare run tonight that I've been playing off and on since January. The run was in some ways easier than I thought it would be, still fairly challenging though. Died 131 times. My first run was 83 deaths, while my Akumu run was 445 deaths :lol for reference (both with upgrades obviously).

Finally getting the platinum feels really good. I'm soooo pumped for The Assignment. I still want to know what KURAYAMI mode is though…

-MD-

On the stream they said the dlc should be out at midnight ET for PC/Xbox, that's like 4 hours or so from now.

Edit: Sony platforms are tomorrow at noon.

Top Bottom