• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

nel e nel

The onscreen tips had a good one: force them to walk through puddles so you can see their footsteps. If you look really closely, you can see them diffracting the light a bit too a la Predator.

You can also make them bump into things like wheel chairs and gurneys.

one of the hardest things in gaming i have ever done.
Akumu no upgrade
cNHPcxa.png

kodecraft

The aiming crosshairs really kill the atmosphere of this game for me...any chance a laser sight option is planned?

Not that I know of. Cross hairs are better than laser for the atmosphere though especially since the main weapon is a 6 shooter old school police revolver

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Chapter 9 is superb, I don't get the hate. It's the only chapter in the game that genuinely scares and it's full of tension thanks to Ruvik randomly appearing.

The mansion setting is also a nice RE1 nod.

-MD-

The aiming crosshairs really kill the atmosphere of this game for me...any chance a laser sight option is planned?

We discussed this back at launch a bit but a laser wouldn't work in this game with how the aiming system functions.

sphinx

the piano man
I am planning on taking on the big 4 trophies in the coming days.

is Akumu (with upgrades and taking advantage of everything possible) really THAT hard???

posts in this thread and the gamefaqs forums are scaring me.

is Akumu (with upgrades and taking advantage of everything possible) really THAT hard???

upgrade flash bolts and you should be fine. Chapter 6 sucks but after that its smooth sailing. With no upgrades i didnt feel i was ever close to running out of ammo, the game gives you tons.
Also more running time would have been great.

-MD-

Thats a real bummer...the aiming reticle is such a huge eyesore in this game.

You can holster your weapon to remove the reticle when you're not in combat if that helps at all. It's B or O on a controller.

I believe you can also disable the crosshair completely in the options.

AEREC

You can holster your weapon to remove the reticle when you're not in combat if that helps at all. It's B or O on a controller.

I believe you can also disable the crosshair completely in the options.

Just noticed this and tried it for a bit...feels a bit off from where the gun looks like it's pointing so Im not sure it's a viable way to play. Guess it's my only option though. Thanks for your responses.

myco666

With upgrades it isn't that bad. The beginning was the roughest for me since I was used to play rather recklessly.

Chapter 9 is superb, I don't get the hate. It's the only chapter in the game that genuinely scares and it's full of tension thanks to Ruvik randomly appearing.

Well people don't like instakills. I agree with you though that the chapter is great.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I agree. I loved all the call backs to previous RE games. The village, the symbols on doors, the sounds of smashing pots and of course the mansion. I thought Ruvik added a sense of urgency to that chapter and the 'puzzle' thing was wonderfully dark.

sphinx

the piano man
ok, so I want to get the next 4 trophies (dunno, should I spoilertag??),

I need some advice here

.- Akumu (and nightmare at the same time) playthrough
.- no Green Gel upgrades
.- Speed run >5:00 playthrough

I was thinking about leaving Akumu for last but since I'd receive a weapon that makes speed runs easy (I read it somewhere anyway) by beating that, maybe I should reconsider and do Akumu first? that would be

Akumu->No Upgrade->Speed Run...

is that smart??

on the other hand, I was thinking, if I went for a playthrough, that combines no upgrade with speed running and on casual, would that be feasible or am I in for a world of pain and frustration? I like the idea of that challenge and I'd REALLY like to do one less playthrough.

what say you GAF?

myco666

I need some advice here

.- no Green Gel upgrades

I was thinking about leaving Akumu for last but since I'd receive a weapon that makes speed runs easy (I read it somewhere anyway) by beating that, maybe I should reconsider and do Akumu first? that would be

is that smart??

on the other hand, I was thinking, if I went for a playthrough, that combines no upgrade with speed running and on casual, would that be feasible or am I in for a world of pain and frustration? I like the idea of that challenge and I'd REALLY like to do one less playthrough.

what say you GAF?

Why not try all of them at the same time? I would say speedrun with no upgrades on casual is pretty manageable as my no upgrade casual run was about 6 hours.

I need some advice here

.- no Green Gel upgrades

is that smart??

what say you GAF?
I would do akumu>speed run>no upgrades.

The laser sight thing, doesn't the crossbow already have a kind of laser sight? It'd be cool if someone could make a mod to just adapt that to the other weapons and get rid of the crosshair, not that I have a problem with the crosshair as it is now.

Another thought, this game really penalizes you for trying to aim and move at the same time, though it still allows you to do it. But it definitely wants you to do the 'run and evade, then plant your feet and take careful shots' thing that RE4 pioneered. Knowing that, I think it'd be cool if there was a mod that made aiming mode go into a 'free floating crosshair' mode like RE4 (and 5)'s, where the entire screen doesn't move with the crosshair at center point but the crosshair freely moves around the screen while aiming. With the way the movement and enemies work I think it'd be a nice addition to try out.

sphinx

the piano man
Why not try all of them at the same time? I would say speedrun with no upgrades on casual is pretty manageable as my no upgrade casual run was about 6 hours.

I would do akumu>speed run>no upgrades.

Thanks

I think I am gonna try 1 Akumu playthrough and 1 combined speed run/no upgrade/casual playthrough, I really liked the game and want to take on the challenges but I think I a 5th runthrough would be too much to bear for me. I haven't reached the saturation point but I rather not push it.

which playthrough I start is the same since the one won't influence the other, hhmmm, decisions.

Error

The more I play the game the more I appreciate the story and its characters. Can't wait to get back into this world with the DLC.

Chapter 9 is so gooood!

So I rented this game over the weekend. To see if I would like since a lot of people are split on the game.

I have to admit, I didn't know what to think of it for the first two chapters. Since you were doing different things with the stealth mechanic in them. But it really started to click with Chapter 3, I guess the game is meant to be played as sort of a hybrid of stealth and action. Just whatever seems to work better for the situation.

Overall I like it, but yeah, there is a bit of stuttering throughout. And the load times are awful, that's my biggest complaint with the game. I also feel like the controls aren't as responsive as they could be, like things have to be certain way before Sebastian can do things.

I am playing the PS3 version.

Will buy it later, and get the DLC when it releases. There is so many different ways to do things here, I love it.

Error

With upgrades it isn't that bad. The beginning was the roughest for me since I was used to play rather recklessly.

Well people don't like instakills. I agree with you though that the chapter is great.

there are plenty of beds and tables to hide under whenever Ruvik appears, plus you can save everytime you clear one of those brain puzzles. with how generous the game is with saves in the chapter I don't see the problem at all.

Man I don't know if I enjoyed the game the same if I played it on ps3, I watched a vid of the ps3 version and the lighting is so flat, on ps4 the lighting is so on point it adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

-MD-

finally got this, downloading now on Steam

wonder if i'll go black bars on or off, mmhmh

what do you guys think

I enjoyed it with letterboxing on and off so it's whatever you prefer.

With them off the lantern can be bright as fuck sometimes but with them on items can be slightly harder to pick up, bout the only differences I noticed. And obviously enabling them helps with performance.

-----

DLC director said the recent patch might have some fixes for the base game as well, from twitter:

it’s a DLC patch, hence the file size but I’m told it has some slight fixes for the main game as well

I had used Flawless Widscreen to force a huge POV at times during my Akumu run (fuck you chapter 6) it felt weird but i could see more and it helped, also when haunted get really close the cross hairs never seem accurate enough.

I wish the accuracy in the game was pinpoint but the upgrading made your cursor wave around more. I had reloaded saves just because i missed several pistol bullets from RNG.

Should we make a new thread for the DLC

Neiteio

Mikami sent the game to market with black bars, for performance reasons no doubt, but I'm sure he balanced the game accordingly. I've only played it with black bars, on PS4, but I liked it enough to declare it my GOTY 2014, so I can vouch for them!

Nemmy

finally got this, downloading now on Steam

wonder if i'll go black bars on or off, mmhmh

what do you guys think

I say start with them and only disable them if they really bother you (and if your PC can keep a good framerate up without them; mine can't).

Top Bottom