• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

So after investing about 55 hours into this, I decided to dabble in some mods. Here are some really good ones that improve the game quite a bit:

Shogun 2 Realism Mod - i'll start with the biggie. This mod adds too many small changes to list, but which add up to make the game so much more fun to play (ironically for something aiming to make it more realistic). I find that with this mod installed, the game flows a lot more naturally and feels less artificial. I've felt a lot less like I was restricted from doing certain intricate actions just because of some of the vanilla game's silly rules. Other little perks are the greater distance which your army retreats to if attacked, and being able to fight some besieged battles on the field. You need to make sure your PC can handle this mod, as it has a huge benefit of bigger unit sizes, and therefore more epic and long lasting battles.

Realm Divide mod - one of the worst flaws which holds the vanilla game back from perfection is the dreaded 'realm divide' mechanic, when everyone including best pals turn on you because Kyoto gets jelly. This mod mostly corrects it, so that the most people can possibly hate you because of it is -60, which also lowers in each successive turn. So now your very friendly clans will stickwitu. Just.

Shogun 2 Total Music Mod - now don't get me wrong, the Shogun 2 soundtrack is fantastic and arguably the best all year. However, if you're like me, the same tunes over and over can get tiring. This mod exchanges 95% of the music with a mix of tracks from the original Shogun and some surprisingly fitting royalty-free music. Some of it is really quite special and has the benefit of not breaking any copyright laws.

Deployable bamboo stakes - no idea why this was omitted from the game. This allows all bow units and a few other types of foot soldiers to deploy a line of bamboo stakes, which helps tremendously to protect against charging horses. This makes the game a bit more tactical I think, instead of mindless slaughter.

Unit variety mod - if your PC can handle ultra quality units, this mod is perhaps the best aesthetic one available. It ensures that every unit on the battlefield is unique - something like 3.5 million different combinations. It makes zooming in even more of a pleasure.

Rankfire for all bow units - a minor mod. This allows all bow units to use the ranked fire stance that not only looks the part, but also makes volleys more frequent. Provides a useful edge on the battlefield during the very early stages of play.

Retextured Battle UI - a subtle but nice aesthetic improvement over the default battle interface. Tanned parchment > white parchment!

Japanese speech fix - another subtle mod which I doubt people will really care about. This fixes a few errors in the translation of the game's dialogue. While 99% of people won't notice the difference, it's nice to know that what you are playing is totally accurate.

All credit goes to the original authors of these mods. They truly re-invigorated the game.

Also do not forget about the awesome Rise of the Samurai DLC out this week, which promises to add a substantial amount of new gameplay. I can see myself reaching 100 hours of play soon enough.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Do any of the mods affect the ability to play multiplayer? I definitely want to check out some of them after my current campaign.

Ysiadmihi said:
Do any of the mods affect the ability to play multiplayer? I definitely want to check out some of them after my current campaign.

I don't know, I don't play online. They are really simple to install/uninstall though as they are just .pack files which go in the /data folder.

Ponti

Ysiadmihi said:
Yep, if the game sees any extra files in your data folder you'll get a 'Incorrect version' notice when you try to join someone elses game.

FGMPR

Banned
I'm just starting a game for the first time. That realm divide feature sounds... not to my liking. Would people recommend I just go vanilla for the first time anyway or mod it out?

Ponti

FGMPR said:
I'm just starting a game for the first time. That realm divide feature sounds... not to my liking. Would people recommend I just go vanilla for the first time anyway or mod it out?
I would say vanilla for the first campaign. Make sure to prepare for a realm divide just before it happens (keep an eye on your clan fame bar). Whichever clan you choose helps too. The Shimazu or Date are the easiest since you'll only ever have one front to defend. Also don't make vassals as they will most likely turn on you at the realm divide (which is imo the most annoying part).

taoofjord

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Great Mods

Thank you so much for the list. Realm Divide is the one thing that scared me away from really digging into the game. Now that I know there's a mod to make it more manageable (and not break diplomacy) I'm going all in.

The other mods sound fantastic too. Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Ponti

Alot of mods rebalance units and add extremely overpowered abilities to them compared to vanilla. That fire by rank archery mod is a good example, can you imagine using those sorts of mods online?

Yeah, doesn't work :p

Ysiadmihi said:
I really like the realism mod. Having access to loan sword ashigaru is great early on.
Those guys are nuts stats wise. Something fundamentaley wrong when a group of peasants can beat a Katana Samurai unit. And they're cheaper.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ponti said:
Those guys are nuts stats wise. Something fundamentaley wrong when a group of peasants can beat a Katana Samurai unit. And they're cheaper.

I hadn't really noticed, I just think it's nice to have a sword wielding anti-melee unit without having to wait until you have all of the requirements for katana samurai.

Looking forward to the DLC. Just kind of a bummer it's on the same day as the BF3 beta :(

Guanoape

Neo Member
Question: should I expect any performance boost in the full game compared to the demo? I'm still running my good ol' E8400/HD4870/4GB RAM, and my rig is clearly struggling with the demo. With everything on medium and all fancy graphic options disabled, it seems as though the game runs just fine, but when I get near a battle my FPS instantly drops down to ~10. I've read some stuff about the demo being very poorly optimized, so that's why I'm asking. Now that the game is €20 on Steam, I'm really tempted to try it out.

Ponti

Guanoape said:
Question: should I expect any performance boost in the full game compared to the demo? I'm still running my good ol' E8400/HD4870/4GB RAM, and my rig is clearly struggling with the demo. With everything on medium and all fancy graphic options disabled, it seems as though the game runs just fine, but when I get near a battle my FPS instantly drops down to ~10. I've read some stuff about the demo being very poorly optimized, so that's why I'm asking. Now that the game is €20 on Steam, I'm really tempted to try it out.
Yep the full game performs much better than the demo. The difference in FPS for me was about 5-10 sometimes even more and I had a similar computer to you. Zooming into battles will still drop your FPS by quite a bit, though it shouldn't be as big a hit.

Pennybags

Bought the game but, um, anti-aliasing is not working at all for me, whether I use any of the in-game settings or attempt to force it through the Nvidia control panel.

Running a 560ti at 1920x1080.

Help?

Derrick01

Banned
Oh god thanks for linking that realm divide mod. I was just fucked over by that which was a little strange to me because I added up all of my lands and I didn't even have half of japan, but I took such good care of my lands and trade routes that I had "terrifying" strength and amazing financial power so Kyoto didn't like that too much.

I was trying to deal with the shimazu and shoni on that far western part so I had just about all of my main force there when this happened and I had about 7 armies marching on my weakest points. Thankfully I have an old save right before that happened.

Derrick01

Banned
markot said:
Does loading battles still take 5 minutes?

I guess it depends on your computer. It takes probably 2 minutes at most to load really big battles (like 3000 vs 3000) on my computer. If anything starting the game is the problem for me. It takes a few minutes just to get to the logos which are thankfully skippable.

Pennybags said:
Bought the game but, um, anti-aliasing is not working at all for me, whether I use any of the in-game settings or attempt to force it through the Nvidia control panel.

Running a 560ti at 1920x1080.

Help?
I think it's only available if you're running DX11 and running Shader model 4.1 or higher (shader model 3 will give you MLAA). Looking at your GPU that shouldn't be a problem. Apart from that I can't say.

Looking forward to The rise of the Samurai DLC. Hours of play for a mere £5.99. Makes that ridiculous Gears of War 3 stuff even more unbelievable!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I've checked multiple times to make sure I have the realm divide mod installed properly, but nearly everyone who isn't an ally has turned on me when it hit in two campaigns now. It seems like it has no effect.

Ysiadmihi said:
I've checked multiple times to make sure I have the realm divide mod installed properly, but nearly everyone who isn't an ally has turned on me when it hit in two campaigns now. It seems like it has no effect.
As far as I know that will still happen even with the mod. Normally when Realm Divide happens everyone turns on you, including allies. The mod simply makes allies remain allies.

Derrick01

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

Yeah the mod is just supposed to reduce the amount of negative points each clan has on you when it hits but it's still enough to make most hate you if you're not super friendly. I did so much territorial expansion that everyone disliked me, even my allies and vassals so all of them turned on me when the realm divide hit. I ended up going with the other realm divide mod, the one that gives no penalty at all.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Derrick01 said:
I ended up going with the other realm divide mod, the one that gives no penalty at all.

Is that the "no effects" one? If so, that's the one I'm using and people are still turning on me for some reason.

Derrick01

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Is that the "no effects" one? If so, that's the one I'm using and people are still turning on me for some reason.

Oh maybe it's installed wrong? I just assumed it went in the Data folder like the rest of the mods seem to. I haven't gotten far enough in my new campaign to test it yet so I don't know if it's working for me.

Pennybags

Slackbladder said:
I think it's only available if you're running DX11 and running Shader model 4.1 or higher (shader model 3 will give you MLAA). Looking at your GPU that shouldn't be a problem. Apart from that I can't say.

I use DX11 and have tried running both 4.1 and 5.

Man, with this game it somewhat kills my will to play, although it is somewhat amusing to see two groups of soldiers disappear into a pixelated cloud.

Carm

Apparently the DLC Rise of the Samurai is releasing Tuesday, Gamersgate still has it for $6.99. Three bucks cheaper than on Steam, if anyone hasn't ordered it yet.

I hate Steam. Rise of the Samurai is released today, but not until 5pm UK time. That's closer to tomorrow than today. They may as well release it at 11:59pm and call it released today. Arseholes.

Downloaded today. Unfortunately it crashes everytime I try to start a battle on the battle map; both the DLC and the original game. The DLC/patch seems to have half killed the game.

Llyranor

Glad the patch is out. Apparently fixes the co-op campaign desync issues. We played a few rounds (good stuff, really fun battles) and everything was fine, but everything was fine for the first few rounds last time as well before the desyncs broke the game. We'll see how this goes.

Anyone still playing this?

Just picked it up for $15, sicknasty game. Haven't played Total War since Rome back in 04.

Any tips for relative noobs? I first started off with Hojo and got my tail kicked because I had to fight on dual fronts, restarted as Shimazu and am doing a lot better. Conquered all of Kyushu, but the freaking Mori are assholes of the highest order.

Ponti

Yep, though I should probably get the new DLC at some point. One thing worth remembering when it comes time for the realm divide make sure you're ready (keep an eye on the yellow bar in the clan management screen). You'll need at least 4-5 full stacks of land units and at least 2 or 3 fleets defending each side of the coast. Also don't bother making Vassals as they will all backstab you at the divide.

Shimazu are a good choice, them or the Date usually work best as a starter clan. If you have any Ninjas it might be a good idea to go a few turns sabotaging Mori economic or military buildings and assassinating their Daimyo/high rank Generals. Also might be worth sending an army over by boat to the Chosokabe island (forget it's name).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ponti said:
Also don't bother making Vassals as they will all backstab you at the divide.

Vassals are pretty helpful imo. Just make sure to either get really friendly with them or take them out before the realm divide hits.

Ponti said:
Yep, though I should probably get the new DLC at some point. One thing worth remembering when it comes time for the realm divide make sure you're ready (keep an eye on the yellow bar in the clan management screen). You'll need at least 4-5 full stacks of land units and at least 2 or 3 fleets defending each side of the coast. Also don't bother making Vassals as they will all backstab you at the divide.

Shimazu are a good choice, them or the Date usually work best as a starter clan. If you have any Ninjas it might be a good idea to go a few turns sabotaging Mori economic or military buildings and assassinating their Daimyo/high rank Generals. Also might be worth sending an army over by boat to the Chosokabe island (forget it's name).

Stayed up till 2 AM last night dismantling those bastard Mori. Got 15 provinces under my belt. Allied with the Chosokabe, but they're starting to encroach on my territory from the east. About to take out Bessho, getting worried about the impending realm divide tho. Upgrading my farms in Kyushu and disbanding the random packs of ashigaru scattered across the provinces to make more powerful units in preparation for it.

Wow, I'm the last post in this thread from almost 2 months ago :|

Was gonna ask how the recently released blood pack dlc was lulz.

epmode

Holy shit, you're not kidding:

The Total War battle engine has been re-engineered for the ultimate in visceral conflict. Intricate new animations enable your Samurai to carve a bloody, limb-strewn path through enemy armies.

The Total War: SHOGUN 2 Blood Pack features new visual effects during real time battles:

Decapitation and limb severing
Blood effects on unit models, equipment and ground
Blood-squirt from projectile and weapon impact
New sounds for dismemberment and spurting blood
Blood-spatter effect on camera
The Blood Pack visual effects can be turned on and off from the game Options menu.
$1.59
http://store.steampowered.com/app/201272/

I hope this generation dies in a fire.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
When I saw a "Blood" pack was available for DLC I thought to myself, "Blood is an awfully weird name for a Japanese clan."

...I'll probably end up buying it.

leroidys

Game is $9.99 on Amazon today, activates on Steam.

Link

THANK YOU! I almost caved at $15 on the steam sale, but I certainly couldn't pass this up. Snagged it yesterday at that great price

So how's rise of the samurai?

I want to know this too. It looks like DLC the way it should be done - significant amount of content and playtime.

It's 6.99 on amazon right now, does anyone have impressions?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Didn't expect this when I booted the game up today:

FB2E8F01EFB0D1201C9E78E85935EA94021BF675

g23 said:
So how's rise of the samurai?

Late on this but it's excellent. It adds a ton of content and the campaign plays very differently from the normal Shogun 2 type. It's almost an entirely different game for $10.

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit, you're not kidding:

$1.59
http://store.steampowered.com/app/201272/

I hope this generation dies in a fire.

Hahahaha how did I miss this? I'll definitely buy it
steam sale only

As far as the update goes it's apparently going to be one of the games during the steam sale that gets a special achievement for whatever contest they're doing. I think you can already get it too, seems to be the one where you have to defend a siege during winter.

Orlandu84

Has anyone played with the Blood Pack DLC? The trailer makes it look distracting to me. My question is whether the actual game looks like the trailer. Does it? Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom