• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Lime

belier said:
Which comp do you have?
Which settings are you using?
I'm playing with default settings and, when in the heat of a battle, framerate goes to hell...

What's your specs?

I am running:

X3 720 @ 3,2 ghz
8GB 1333mhz RAM
2GB unlocked 6950
2TB Caviar Black

And the demo ran somewhat slow and clunky for me, whereas the full game is a much more smoother experience. Probably a 20 FPS difference at the least.

belier

My specs are (i'm in the upgrade process)

Dual Core 6600 @2,66Gb
8 GB (I suppose 1GHz or less)
GTX 570 1280 MB
WD Caviar 1TB

Resolution 1680x1050.

Default settings were, from what I recall, no alias, nearly everything in ultra. AF.

Lime

Weird. Have you updated your drivers? I have no other alternative beside that, other than Shogun 2 needing a fix for your machine to run it properly.

belier

Lime said:
Weird. Have you updated your drivers? I have no other alternative beside that, other than Shogun 2 needing a fix for your machine to run it properly.

I'll check it tonight with Fraps, to see what's really going on.

I did Beginner Ship Tutorial... I sucked big time...
I lost 2 of 3 ships.
Guy on top told me to board an enemy ship with big bune. Result: I won battle but my ship sank few minutes later. I ended up playing hide and seek with my archers ship and enemy general ship.
My other ship was also boarded... :*(
Won by shooting fire arrows, but with massive looses.

What's the best way to board an enemy ship?

Thanks in advance.

belier said:
My specs are (i'm in the upgrade process)

Dual Core 6600 @2,66Gb
8 GB (I suppose 1GHz or less)
GTX 570 1280 MB
WD Caviar 1TB

Resolution 1680x1050.

Default settings were, from what I recall, no alias, nearly everything in ultra. AF.

You're being bottlenecked massively by the CPU, i know this because i have a similar system. If you download msi afterburner and activate show gpu usage you'll see your GPU is running at around 40 to 50% capacity during intense scenes.

In the meantime it might be a good idea to disable depth of field, maybe ambient occlusion and turn unit details down from ultra.

belier

fizzelopeguss said:
You're being bottlenecked massively by the CPU, i know this because i have a similar system. If you download msi afterburner and activate show gpu usage you'll see your GPU is running at around 40 to 50% capacity during intense scenes.

In the meantime it might be a good idea to disable depth of field, maybe ambient occlusion and turn unit details down from ultra.

That's what I supposed. I'll upgrading mobo+cpu+ram maybe next month.

I'll follow your recomendations. Thanks a lot.

belier

Been playing last night. Only tutorials.
Advanced Sea Tutorial was nearly unplayable. Moving map using WASD was slow motion. Had to put al levels of detail to minimum.
I think I'll need to upgrade my comp sooner than expected...

belier

fizzelopeguss said:
It shouldn't be like that, have you tried playing around with different drivers?

I've ran advanced navy tutorial again.
According to Fraps, it runs at about 30fps. What's happening is that, when it finishes the description of the fleet and the enemy ships start to move, the game becomes nearly totally irresponsible to key inputs. Specially to WASD keys. It moves forward and back at a incredibly slow speed, while fraps keeps telling that game is still pushing 30 fps.

Drivers are last Beta NVidia drivers, 270.51.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Multiplayer is fucked hardcore. Matchmaking is, at least. tried for an hour to get a 3v3 Avatar Conquest game going and got invalid army bug every single time. Ended up just playing each other.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just noticed Steam downloaded a patch but it doesn't say what it did. I checked and AA still isn't available from the in-game options.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Patch notes:

Updates to Total War: SHOGUN 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Total War: SHOGUN 2

Multiplayer - More game lobbies are now visible on the Battle List in Avatar Conquest mode.

Multiplayer - More game lobbies are now visible on the Battle List in Multiplayer Campaign Mode.

Multiplayer - Fix for crash when rearranging unit cards in battle lobby.

Multiplayer Battle List - Fix for crash when [ALT] +
'ing / minimising the game when in a Battle List game lobby.

Multiplayer Battle List - Fix for crash when changing the "Battle type" filter from "Classic Battles" to any other filter.

Multiplayer Battle List - Fix for lag caused by selecting the "Classic Battles" tick box on the Host Battle setup screen (where the player names the game).

Multiplayer Battles - Fix for UI bug where the back button did not function / was greyed out on the battle results screen leaving players stuck.

Multiplayer Battles - Fixed for players having trouble joining 1v1 Match Made battles and being given a default army.

Multiplayer Battles - Fix for Client crash if Host searches battle before Clients leave battle results screen in the Setup Team screen

Multiplayer Battles - Fix for Client crash when Host kicks Client from the game while the Client is on the Retainer, Load Army or Save Army screen.

Multiplayer Battles - Fix for rare crash when alliance goes under AI control due to player leaving the battle.

Multiplayer Battles - Improved accessibility for players attempting to join a 1v1 Auto team land battle or Campaign drop in battle.

Multiplayer Campaign - Fix for rare crash where player leaving battle causes crash for remaining players upon switch to AI control.

Avatar - Fix for crash when [ALT] +
'ing / minimising the game on the Avatar customisation screen

Battles - Fix for rare multithreading crash caused by interaction between the UI and the game

Land Battles - Fix for crash in deployment phase caused by using the Increase Rank and Increase File buttons on a unit in Spear Wall formation

Land Battles - Fix for rare crash when positioning the mouse over unit proxies when attempting to dock units

Naval Battles - Fix for very rare crash when ordering ships

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Big patch coming first week of May

Hi guys,

In the weeks since Total War: Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been working super-hard to make the Shogun 2 experience as great as we can make it. As part of our long-term commitment to supporting the game, we’ve been making issues identified by members of our community our top priority.

So, we’re planning to roll out some fairly substantial fixes in the coming weeks and months. The first stage of this is Patch 2 which, we’re thrilled to announce, will also upgrade the engine to DirectX 11. This means those of you with DX11-capable cards will be able to access features such as hardware tessellation and enhanced shadowing. Patch 2 will also bring Anti-Aliasing support.

Since Shogun 2’s launch, we’ve been completely blown away by the success of multiplayer. However, the multiplayer issues many of you have identified require our thorough attention, so that’s a really big priority as well. You can expect a raft of multiplayer fixes and modifications in Patch 2, and beyond.

You’ll appreciate that all this takes a lot of time and testing, and while we’re working as hard as we can, we may not quite make the 2-4 week post-launch window that we’d originally hoped to hit. We’re aiming to get patch 2 to you in the first week of May though, so not long to wait now.

Thanks for your ongoing patience, and please bear with us!

Craig

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/15481-Official-DX11-statement?p=172928#post172928

Sethos

Banned
Sweet! I kinda stopped playing because the lack of AA killed it for me visually, too many fine details that are a complete mess without AA. Bring it on =)

Fucking co-op campaign is a mess. Can't get through 10 turns without it de-syncing...and this is on a LAN connection, with my roommate.

Enosh

well I realy like this so far, love the switch back to swords and spears from E:TW

but christ do all faction have the exactly same unit rooster? -.-
I guess it's simply a consequence of playing on just one more or less isolated country with an unified culture and military style

demolitio

Finally got around to playing this and I'm in love. Is it just me or does it run a lot better than the demo did? I agree though, I love being back to the melee focus but there aren't many unique units. It doesn't matter TOO much to me, but it seems like the amount of unique units have been on a steep decline with every new Total War game.

I'm still bummed that my friend wouldn't accept an extra limited edition copy of this game so we could play together. I actually think it's due to him sucking at the game and me kicking his ass every single time we played E:TW. I guess it's embarrassing for him since it never mattered how many units I had or what zany strategy I used, it always worked on him. He never understood line infantry and he always ended up in square formation even without any cavalry to worry about. It's not rocket science..lol. If anyone wants to play MP with just a slightly average player, feel free to add me on Steam: demolitio2.

I'm not good by any means, but I guess he's bad enough to decline a free copy. Now I need to sell it for cheap so I can get Brink. :)

Veritas_

Slogging my way through Realm Divide, getting close to the end now. My one and only ally (Hatano) decided to switch sides a couple years after the divide event. I understand the ai is programmed based on diplomatic values (territorial expansion, honoring treaties, same religion, etc) but their betrayal left them with nothing to gain and everything to lose. I'm now systematically steamrolling through all my former ally's provinces. What a shame.

Also, I tried to make peace with the Date and that backfired tremendously. I offered a hostage and trade rights for peace, they accepted and then executed the hostage and rejoined the Shogunate faction the very next turn. The hell?

As it's been said before, vassals are the key to winning. I was fortunate to make the Chosokabe my vassal early on and they've conquered a considerable amount of territory around Kyoto and in turn reduced the pressure on me.

Also, the Christian rebels can go to hell. I'll show you persecution.

demolitio

Thanks for the tip about vassals. I've never been one to use them so I guess I'll try it in this game. Any other tips for early on in the game?

taoofjord

I found that the demo runs much worse than the full game too. I can actually run the full game at high whereas I had to run the demo at low. Pretty crazy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
trainspot said:
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/17168-Patch-2-here-s-what-s-coming!

damn !
omgomgomg

I bought this like two weeks ago and just before I started I saw the news of a dx 11 patch coming early may, but this seems much more beefier than I thought! Soo happy I waited can't wait until monday wohoooooooooo

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
They should patch it so that there is no unlock system for the multiplayer. Worst idea ever.

Lime

HOLY SHIT

Now that's some quality after-release support right there. Not everything is as bleak as what the Mass Effects and Call of Duties have shown.

demolitio

Now that's a patch! I'm glad I just started really playing the game then since it seems to be the perfect time to get into it. I just wish more people had it on my friends list since I've always enjoyed MP in the TW series.

Sorry to ask this, but does anyone know of a good place to sell a copy of this game? It's unopened of course, but CL isn't working out too well since people don't look for PC games on there due to the CD key issue.

trainspot

Banned
demolitio said:
Now that's a patch! I'm glad I just started really playing the game then since it seems to be the perfect time to get into it. I just wish more people had it on my friends list since I've always enjoyed MP in the TW series.

Sorry to ask this, but does anyone know of a good place to sell a copy of this game? It's unopened of course, but CL isn't working out too well since people don't look for PC games on there due to the CD key issue.

What country are you from? Heck, I might even buy it.

demolitio

trainspot said:
What country are you from? Heck, I might even buy it.

US. It's the limited edition copy that I received two of. Thanks to it being a Steam game, all it really takes is entering the key but I also have the unopened boxed copy for it. I've been trying to sell it since my friend didn't want it after being owned so many times in previous TW games. :D

I'm still trying to find people just to play with. The TW series has always been one of my favorites but all my friends rather stick to FPS games since the suck at RTS games..lol

trainspot

Banned
demolitio said:
US. It's the limited edition copy that I received two of. Thanks to it being a Steam game, all it really takes is entering the key but I also have the unopened boxed copy for it. I've been trying to sell it since my friend didn't want it after being owned so many times in previous TW games. :D

I'm still trying to find people just to play with. The TW series has always been one of my favorites but all my friends rather stick to FPS games since the suck at RTS games..lol

how much do you want for a pop?

demolitio

trainspot said:
how much do you want for a pop?
Sent you a PM.

How's the campaign coop in this one? Sometimes I hear it's buggy and sometimes I hear how great it is. Is it somewhere in between? :p

MjFrancis

That is a gigantic patch! I may have to pick this up at last and see what all the fuss is about. Or I can screw around in the demo some more and get my bearings in place. I've always had the strategy portion of the Shogun games down, but not so much on the real-time battles.

alstein

BobsRevenge said:
They should patch it so that there is no unlock system for the multiplayer. Worst idea ever.

Yeah, this is what killed the game, and I have no interest in the SP knowing Paradox is going to release a better SP game in a few months (Sengoku)

MjFrancis

alstein said:
Yeah, this is what killed the game, and I have no interest in the SP knowing Paradox is going to release a better SP game in a few months (Sengoku)
I've heard absolutely nothing of this Sengoku game, though my interest is incredibly piqued. From what I've gathered, it's a strategy game with a slated Q3 release. By Paradox. Named Sengoku. Very little else is clear to me.

Sem

Neo Member
just had a quick go on a historical battle dx11 all settings maxed 4xMSAA

and it looks so much better and is pretty smooth as well (920 @ 4.2 & 570 @ 850/2000)

also it appears AA applies to the in game font as it appears alot smoother and much easier to read (can anyone else confirm so i am sure im not imagining it)

gotee12

Sem said:
just had a quick go on a historical battle dx11 all settings maxed 4xMSAA

and it looks so much better and is pretty smooth as well (920 @ 4.2 & 570 @ 850/2000)

also it appears AA applies to the in game font as it appears alot smoother and much easier to read (can anyone else confirm so i am sure im not imagining it)
Any noticeable hits to the frame rate compared to DX9 on your pc?

Sem

Neo Member
gotee12 said:
Any noticeable hits to the frame rate compared to DX9 on your pc?

scrolling around the map appears smoother than dx9

but to be honest only ever played it for around 1 hour in dx9 mode

not touched it till the dx11 patch

I seem to have a variety of 'benchmark' options now but no download as, as Steam says, "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request, blah, blah". Oh, and I can't play it either. Sometimes Steam are utterly useless.
Of course if I could manually patch it.....

Slackbladder said:
I seem to have a variety of 'benchmark' options now but no download as, as Steam says, "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request, blah, blah". Oh, and I can't play it either. Sometimes Steam are utterly useless.
Of course if I could manually patch it.....

I hate Steam. So stupid you can't play a single-player game while a patch downloads in the background, then have it install the patch next time you restart the game.

I haven't touched the game in a while, this patch has renewed my interest.

alstein

MjFrancis said:
I've heard absolutely nothing of this Sengoku game, though my interest is incredibly piqued. From what I've gathered, it's a strategy game with a slated Q3 release. By Paradox. Named Sengoku. Very little else is clear to me.

Paradox= awesome, but strange. No tactical battles, but they make some of the deepest , most fun strategy games out there.

They have some dev dairies up on their forums. forum.paradoxplaza.com

Top Bottom