• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Does anybody have good tips for maintaining a good economy after realm divide/being shogun? I lost my first 3 campaigns and just barely managed to win a campaign as Shimazu after becoming shogun while my kingdom fell apart from rebellions, food shortages and betrayal from all 6 of my vassals while I raced around with 3 stacks conquering/reconquering.

54-46!

Anyone else got this problem? running Dx10, works fine in Dx9 - HD4890.. I'll update my drivers tomorrow and see if it works.

Also, apparently imgur sucks these days.

Corto

I've just now tried DX11, AA, tesselation and whatnot... Wow at the difference on the visuals! A truly gorgeous game... I just had a crash to desktop after setting the AA, shaders and tesselation but after I restarted the game i did one of the tutorials and all went ok. Now on to create time to finally play it.

gotee12

The game runs NOTICABLY faster now (DX11 vs. DX9). I wasn't expecting that. Maybe it also has to do with the latest ATI drivers (11.4).

Running an HD6850 with a 3Ghz Athlon X4.

p.s. The game is friggin' gorgeous now!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm

Just fired up the game and did some tweaking to the settings. Tried playing a tutorial and realized that the framerate was lowish, not chugging but somewhere around 30-40 or something. But I thought of it since I put everything on ultra. So I played for a while and tabbed out to see my gpu temps, and saw something interesting.

None of my gpus went over 30% :O! What's the deal?

SLI 560s, latest WHQL drivers.

edit : not that this is hindering my enjoyment really, since either 30 or 60fps doesn't affect the game in the same sense that it affects other games.

edit : could I possibly be cpu-bound? ( 2600k @ 4.6 )

Kyaw

Does anyone suffering with the black screen problem at the start up?

Can't get the game to boot. It just started happening after the patch.

My benchmark score for 1080p on DX11 Highest setting through the menu was an average of 76.5 FPS!!! Seems direct X 11 looks better and runs great as well =)

Corky

Johnny2Bags said:
My benchmark score for 1080p on DX11 Highest setting through the menu was an average of 76.5 FPS!!! Seems direct X 11 looks better and runs great as well =)

Oh shit, I forgot the benchmarks. Did you run it with highest AA also?

Corky said:
Oh shit, I forgot the benchmarks. Did you run it with highest AA also?

I just chose as one of the options it gives ya, 1080p DX11 or whatever... i can go back in and try a bench if you have settings I can apply?

Corky

Johnny2Bags said:
I just chose as one of the options it gives ya, 1080p DX11 or whatever... i can go back in and try a bench if you have settings I can apply?

Oh nevermind you were right there were only a few options and I picked the same as you, 62 fps avg which is way more than I got ingame, again something is afoot since even during the benchmark my gpus were chilling at 30% usage.

Now I know the woes of SLI and if a game doesn't support it it's usually one gpu idling and one is put through hell. But I've never encountered this before, odd really.

Kyaw

Fuck this game and its crappy performance man!

Start up time - 5 mins
Loading time - 3 mins
Crashes after about 5 mins into gameplay. (I was trying out the intermediate battle tutorial)

Had the settings at Ultra, 2xMSAA.
SSAO, V-Sync and Soft Shadows off.

Game was running very smoothly. 30-60fps.

Corky said:
Oh nevermind you were right there were only a few options and I picked the same as you, 62 fps avg which is way more than I got ingame, again something is afoot since even during the benchmark my gpus were chilling at 30% usage.

Now I know the woes of SLI and if a game doesn't support it it's usually one gpu idling and one is put through hell. But I've never encountered this before, odd really.

Well ATI cards for the moment seem to fair quite a bit better in this game from what I can tell... but you should have more frames than that without a doubt if I remember your rig correctly

MjFrancis

Can anyone direct me to a site or resource that would allow me to procure the Collector's Edition with the bamboo box? That thing's just too sweet, but also too rich for my blood on eBay. There's someone selling a Collector's Edition that also includes a nifty chess set, which I didn't know of beforehand, but that's already just under $200 with an additional $130 shipping from the Land Down Under to the States.

The box looks like it would make for a good piece of eye candy on my shelf. As far as PC games go, since you can't resell them nowadays it doesn't make sense for me to buy a physical copy unless it's completely awesome. Like this one.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm going to have to redo the Naval tutorials or read up on some guide because I just suck at them.

MjFrancis said:
Can anyone direct me to a site or resource that would allow me to procure the Collector's Edition with the bamboo box? That thing's just too sweet, but also too rich for my blood on eBay. There's someone selling a Collector's Edition that also includes a nifty chess set, which I didn't know of beforehand, but that's already just under $200 with an additional $130 shipping from the Land Down Under to the States.

The box looks like it would make for a good piece of eye candy on my shelf. As far as PC games go, since you can't resell them nowadays it doesn't make sense for me to buy a physical copy unless it's completely awesome. Like this one.
Yeah, that's pretty nice. I have it actually. Don't know where you can get hold of one now though.

Been playing in DX11 and the games plays better than in DX9 on the same settings (using a GTX480). With the extra DX11 settings it's still pretty good but boy, my card gets real hot!

How about a nice panoramic pic?

Sethos

Banned
The new patch is fantastic. Glad they took their time and you can really tell they wanted to polish it. I managed to put everything to the absolute maximum, 4xMSAA and even SSAO and the game hits the vsync roof of 60fps and stays there - Runs even smoother than pre-patch.

Lime

Except for loading times, the game runs better on my unlocked 6950 after the new patch. And that's with everything on max (except 4xAA).

Gyoru

The first DLC was just released on Steam as well as a new patch.

The Ikko Ikki “warrior monk” Clan:

A new clan for use in single or multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles
8 new unit-variants specific to the Ikko Ikki clan
New skill trees
New Ikko Ikki Monk Agent with his own specific skill tree

The Ikko Ikki Clan Pack also includes:

The Warrior Nun unit – can be trained by any clan except the Ikko Ikki
New Naginata Warrior Monk hero
New Historical Battle: Nagashima (Ikko Ikki VS Oda)
Ikko Ikki armour set for Avatar - includes hood, robes and barefoot leg-pieces.
New Retainers for use in the Avatar Conquest mode:

-----

Updates to Total War: SHOGUN 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Single Player Campaign

Fix for AI controlled enemy reinforcements not joining the battle causing battle not to end
AI armies can no longer recruit multiple hero units beyond the unit caps.

Multiplayer Campaign

After successfully completing a co-op Multiplayer Campaign, both players are no longer shown the same clan movie
Fix for intermittent problem with the ‘ready’ button remaining greyed out when setting up a 2v2 battle in multiplayer battle lobbies
Skill points spent on melee attack in the Manage Armies upgrade-window now apply to Veteran Yari Cavalry units correctly
Players can no longer change their retainers during the final 5 second countdown on the army setup screen before a battle
When the player creates a new steam group and registers that group as a multiplayer clan, the player will now remain a member of the clan after quitting the game
Land Battles - right-clicking on group formations icon now brings up group formations encyclopaedia page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34348/

MjFrancis

The new clan looks interesting. How many have they slated to release as DLC? Are the developers planning to go the way of Civilization V and support the hell out of this game post-release? That would bode well for continued sales.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Hmm

Just fired up the game and did some tweaking to the settings. Tried playing a tutorial and realized that the framerate was lowish, not chugging but somewhere around 30-40 or something. But I thought of it since I put everything on ultra. So I played for a while and tabbed out to see my gpu temps, and saw something interesting.

None of my gpus went over 30% :O! What's the deal?

SLI 560s, latest WHQL drivers.

edit : not that this is hindering my enjoyment really, since either 30 or 60fps doesn't affect the game in the same sense that it affects other games.

edit : could I possibly be cpu-bound? ( 2600k @ 4.6 )

I remember one of the graphical settings tanking my SLI setup...I forget which.

Not even setting a profile with SLI to Single Card fixed it. I had to disable SLI entirely, or ignore that setting.

Found my old posts:

TheExodu5 said:
I found the tickbox that was killing the framerate on my system: Hardware Shadows. It doesn't even make any sense. SSAO kills performance pretty badly too.

Even with SSAO off, Hardware Shadows drops my framerate in the manu to 10-15. Something is very wrong with that.

TheExodu5 said:
Yup, it was SLI. I turned off SLI and my framerate is 50fps in the menu with everything enabled now.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
I remember one of the graphical settings tanking my SLI setup...I forget which.

Not even setting a profile with SLI to Single Card fixed it. I had to disable SLI entirely, or ignore that setting.

Found my old posts:

Cheers, this is wierd since I remember trying the demo on my old 460 sli setup everything worked great. Then again the demo was before the release of the dx11 patch. Odd how most people found the game to be smoother post dx11 patch whereas it got worse for me. Should give it another shot though.

Effect

Never played a Total War game before but is this a good one to play for a first experience or would one of the other recent ones be better?

Sciz

Wes said:
40% off in the steam sale today. Wonder if we'll see some more posts in here shortly!
Yep. Last game in the series I played was the original Shogun. The general reception for this seems wildly positive, particularly on the heels of the last two entries, so I'll likely be picking it up to see what over a decade of game design experience has done.

(._.)

Banned
I never played a total war game until SHOGUN 2. I remember when it came out and I wanted to get the total war pack but decided not to. Got SHOGUN 2 and played about two hours.

The game runs a little funny on my pc. Not getting a great frame rate but it runs overall pretty good.

The game is pretty complex I noticed. I haven't even finished two of the tutorials. I really how this game plays. Plan to play through the campaigns.

Ponti

Wes said:
40% off in the steam sale today. Wonder if we'll see some more posts in here shortly!
Maybe we'll even get some discussion about the game itself rather than the frackin graphics.

JJD said:
So...is Shogun and the Total War series like a next gen Dragon Force (old saturn game)?

From the pics I saw it looks like that, albeit a realistic take on the genre...

If that's the case I would love to check the game...is it only avaliable to PC's?
Never heard of Dragon Force so I can't really make a direct comparison but Total War is a real time strategy with a turn based campaign map. The older Total Wars are a bit grander in scale, Shogun 2 is more focused though there are still plenty of provinces to fight over. It's not on consoles and likely never will be.

Bought the DLC a few days ago and started an Ikko Ikki campaign. They don't really suite my style of play, I hate having to completely convert a province to another religion before I can safely move an army on. The warrior monks though... Holy shit. They are a power house. Bow Warrior Monks completely decimate Bow Ashigaru it's not even funny. I haven't tried these units in MP yet but I'm guessing Veteran units of those guys are ridiculous. Ikki Ikko Loan Sword Ashigaru can hold their own against Katana Samurai surprisingly well too, honestly their morale is a bit too high for a peasant unit even without the Ikko Ikki morale bonus.

Pepboy

Idea for DLC:

I'm hoping to see a Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare-esque DLC where Japan is invaded by zombies! I know zombies have a sort of "been there, done that" feel these days, but I think large tactical battles against them could be fun.

+ Maybe in one mode, it's even impossible (or very hard) to stop the infection, and instead you just try to hold out as long as you can...

+ Any soldiers killed by zombies become zombies.

+ Maybe some new resources, or resources are used in different ways - e.g. food is no longer just a single number but rather a stockpile in each province.

Anyways, even if Creative Assembly doesn't go the zombies route, I really hope they branch out to fantasy for the next iteration or DLC. I realize and appreciate the historical aspect but I feel they've covered most of the interesting periods and afraid Total War will become one-note.

Sciz

I can't put my finger on what all exactly changed (the massive bump up in resistance to invaders doesn't help), but the step up from Normal to Hard definitely put the challenge back into the game.

I hope this goes on sale for the final day, I missed out earlier in the week. I played the demo and it seems pretty good. Not sure how I feel about the combat, it seemed like just highlight my army, move them in formation to the other army and sit back to watch the fight. Is there more to it than that?

nismogrendel said:
Not sure how I feel about the combat, it seemed like just highlight my army, move them in formation to the other army and sit back to watch the fight. Is there more to it than that?

Yes. For a start, there is something like a rock paper scissors relationship between the units so unless both army's have exactly the same units or you can just overwhelm them with your units then this is often bad. If you have units with charge bonuses then you need to individually order them to attack otherwise they don't charge properly. If you have cavalry then you have to be very agile with them in order to stop them getting caught on spears and finding good openings for attacks.

I´m thinking of picking this up. I hesitated before. since I already have Empire: Total War in my Steam account and I have yet to test DarthMod for it. And I still haven´t tried the Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval II: Kingdoms, which I rebought the game for.

But still, I hear so much about Shogun 2 being such a comeback for Creative Assembly. So a couple of questions about it:

1. What are the main differences between Empire and Shogun 2, besides the obvious one - the setting? I know that people hate the AI in Empire, but didn´t that game get huge patch for that just recently?

2. One of the reasons I still haven´t given Empire that much playtime is that every turn in the campaign mode took forever to finish, and that the loading times for each battle was way to long for my liking (and I played the game on a modern Win7 computer with 4gb ram). Are these things improved in Shogun 2?

Ponti

markot said:
New DLC coming out.

And loading is still a problem, for me anyways >.< can take ages sometimes....
Same problem here, haven't been playing the game much because of it. Loading into a battle takes about 5 minutes, really annoying.

The DLC is up for pre-purchase on Steam now too. Sounds really good.

CecilRousso said:
1. What are the main differences between Empire and Shogun 2, besides the obvious one - the setting? I know that people hate the AI in Empire, but didn´t that game get huge patch for that just recently?

2. One of the reasons I still haven´t given Empire that much playtime is that every turn in the campaign mode took forever to finish, and that the loading times for each battle was way to long for my liking (and I played the game on a modern Win7 computer with 4gb ram). Are these things improved in Shogun 2?
1. The AI was terrible when Empire first came out, it did get improved by patches and is a lot better but still a bit shakey. The AI in Shogun however has been massively improved and is a lot more aggressive than it's ever been, on the campaign map and battlefield. On sieges however it's still fairly bad, that's something CA seem to be having real trouble with - it's been the same in every Total War. Another problem is that you can still confuse the AI, like in Empire, by coming at it in two different directions, it can never make it's mind up on who to face and will always be out of formation. Despite that though you can tell a lot of polish went into Shogun 2, presentation wise it's the best Total War CA have made. Only thing I have any gripe with is the siege AI and lack of unit diversity (especially compared to Empire), though the two recent DLC's have added quite a few more units to the game to help that.

2. Early on in the campaign the AI turns can take awhile as there are quite a few clans in the beginning, but once the game plays out for a bit and the minor clans get destroyed it does speed up. Load times are fast, but recently I've been having an issue with it (for some reason it's now taking 5mins+ to load into and out of battles). Might just be an isolated problem though.

taoofjord

I'm curious if anyone like me is playing this. I rarely play strategy games (I love them but am not particularly good at them) but I'm really sticking with this one. Aside from the gorgeous graphics, I love the cool gameplay mechanics like:

- Marrying your daughter to a general
- Choosing your heir
- Ordering a disloyal general to commit seppuku
- Ninjas
- Agents and assassinations
- Diplomacy stuff
- Generals having skill trees and having personality traits

They really nail the atmosphere aesthetically as well as through the gameplay. It's a ton of fun!

Meier

Just had my $15.99 copy come from Newegg (I actually forgot I'd even bought it) -- holy shit at the storage space requirement! Thank god I bought the physical copy.. 16 gigs?!

taoofjord said:
I'm curious if anyone like me is playing this. I rarely play strategy games (I love them but am not particularly good at them) but I'm really sticking with this one. Aside from the gorgeous graphics, I love the cool gameplay mechanics like:

- Marrying your daughter to a general
- Choosing your heir
- Ordering a disloyal general to commit seppuku
- Ninjas
- Agents and assassinations
- Diplomacy stuff
- Generals having skill trees and having personality traits

They really nail the atmosphere aesthetically as well as through the gameplay. It's a ton of fun!

Sounds like you really enjoy the diplomacy and empire building? if so you might also want to look into a paradox strategy game.

EUIII complete, goes from 1399 to 1824 iirc.

And the upcoming crusader kings 2, rather than running the spirit of a country, you run a family, create a dynasty and become king/emperor.

shitloads of extra depth and with difficulty levels you can control at the start. But it is real time rather than turn based.

The total war and paradox strategy titles are some of my favourite games.

wilflare

Meier said:
Just had my $15.99 copy come from Newegg (I actually forgot I'd even bought it) -- holy shit at the storage space requirement! Thank god I bought the physical copy.. 16 gigs?!

one dollar for every gig of content it seems.
can't wait for my copy to come :D

Meier

Wtf my Vassal turned on me when I was just about to attack Kyoto! I never would have created one if I knew that was possible.. :|

Top Bottom