• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

It looks like they put a (de)saturation filter over everything but the blood in the trailer, just to be clear, it makes the blood effects pop a lot more. The effects themselves (minus trailer hokery) look like that in the game and it can be comical at times. I love it, I got it for a Christmas present and it's pretty cool watching arrows and naginata tear people apart. Blood gets on everything - armor, weapons, banners and camera, the ground.

I bought this on Amazon last week and see that the DLC is on sale on Steam. Are any of the unit packs worth getting?

I'll be picking up Rise of the Samurai for sure

Bebpo

Banned
The loading in this game is so slooooooow

When I sit down to play this seriously I may need to invest in an SSD.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How do I turn on AA? The game won't turn it on. MLAA does nothing. Shader 5 with MSAA does nothing. It looks worse than Medieval 2. All TW games have worked fine and now this doesn't.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I learned what was wrong. Apparently if you set your graphics past what the game thinks your system will be able to handle, it just auto-downgrades without telling you. Incredibly infuriating.

So I set textures to high and everything worked fine, but it has a LOT of inconsistency so I ended up tuning down a lot of graphics anyway to get rid of a lot of pseudo-3D that AA didn't apply to (because you can't force SSAA) and looks like crap unless you zoom in way closer than you're able to most of the time. Even on real 3D things sometimes AA doesn't show, like check this out:
http://www.abload.de/img/shogun22012-01-0211-31w3zw.jpg

No AA where the pole is over water... what? AA also doesn't show on anything that has DoF behind it, but I turned that off because it looks like shit anyway.

Because they limited AA options and thought pseudo-3D looked better rather than terribly inconsistent, this game still isn't doing much to get past Medieval 2 quality with SSAA:
http://www.abload.de/img/kingdoms2012-01-0121-hoj8g.jpg

I guess Napoleon will remain the visual champ unless they get their shit together for overall IQ.

RustyO

So... picked this up on the last day of the Steam sale.

... but it runs like crap, slow loading times, and the battles are so slow... me thinks it's my crappy laptop:

Asus UL50VT
Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce G210M
4 GB Ram
Intel Core Duo 2

Should I be able to run this at a decent speed/framerate? Or is my laptop just too old/crap?

Furoba

... but it runs like crap, slow loading times, and the battles are so slow... me thinks it's my crappy laptop:

Asus UL50VT
Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce G210M
4 GB Ram
Intel Core Duo 2

Should I be able to run this at a decent speed/framerate? Or is my laptop just too old/crap?

Got a i7 + M330 + 4GB Macbook Pro, and aside slow loading times, the game runs quite well on medium settings. Shogun 2 should be played on a high end system though...

Atomski

Got this fully downloaded today but now it just hangs on the intro screen. Seems like a few people have the same issue on their boards but all the recommended solutions do nothing. :/

Lime

Asus UL50VT
Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce G210M
4 GB Ram
Intel Core Duo 2

Your specs are far from up to par. CPU and GPU are both terribly old.

RustyO

Ah well, cost me $10... I'll see if I can get it going on my Mac, or wait until I get a new laptop later this year.

Thanks for the advice Furoba and Lime.

Got this fully downloaded today but now it just hangs on the intro screen. Seems like a few people have the same issue on their boards but all the recommended solutions do nothing. :/

Tech support is horrible. So many people with the same issue, and they're basically told - change to a 64bit OS.

So they've basically designed a game that needs more than 3gb of RAM, but didn't tell anyone about it.

Furoba

Lol epic last stand.

Three huge armies fielded by different enemies all allied steamed towards my Wakamatsu castle in Fukushima (I play Uesugi). I am defending with an archer heavy army, but already heavily battered from a previous engagement.

First battle, Date rolls in. I manage to kill the enemy through archery superiority. Few enemies that make it inside are met with naginata monks.
Second battle with Hatakeyama. Attacks from two sides, can only defend one. 36 experienced archers hold off +360 archers (lol) and manage to break one. Some losses that can't be replaced but army still holds together.
Final battle, another Date army joins up with a huge Hojo army. 2800 vs 740. I get wiped out completely, not without taking 2680 of their heads.
In total my original army of 1200 must have killed 5000+.

I always seem to get huge alliances against me. Takeda, my only ally, didn't do shit except for running around. :(

Lingitiz

Asus UL50VT
Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce G210M
4 GB Ram
Intel Core Duo 2

I have the UL80VT and the game runs ok enough on low settings with 1366x768. Be sure to turn the turbo overclocking on in the power settings.

Don't expect fantastic performance or anything though, I'm really just playing it on a laptop as a stopgap till I can build a PC.

RustyO

I have the UL80VT and the game runs ok enough on low settings with 1366x768. Be sure to turn the turbo overclocking on in the power settings.

Don't expect fantastic performance or anything though, I'm really just playing it on a laptop as a stopgap till I can build a PC.

Thanks for the advice, but I've deleted it now. Going to see if I can get it running on my Mac (27" quad core 8gb) or just leave it in the backlog till I get a new pc.

demolitio

Anyone in the beta for Fall of the Samurai? I'm a little late to post the link but it took a week for them to accept the application so it's a quick turnaround. It's the new expansions' MP modes and there's not many people playing right now it'd be nice to have some gaffers to play with.

NDA and all, but it's like Empire and Shogun 2 got together and made a kickass game. You either choose technology and side with the Imperial Army or stick with Samurai tradition and support the Shogunate. That basically determines your MP in a nutshell although there's still common units for both groups to choose from. All of this is in the press release so I figured it was alright to say that.

APPLY if you love the TW series but wanted more from MP. :)

http://cabeta.sega.co.uk/?cat=3

And if anyone wants to play vanilla Shogun 2 or the DLC online, add "demolitio2" to Steam. Hell, just add me period as I'm bored and have no Total War nuts to play with. We can do coop or MP as a team or against each other. I'm not the best with the TW games focused on melee, but this new expansion has me kicking ass again. I don't care if we get crushed, I just want to have fun and finally play this online.

Also, add me if you want to play any other TW game online. I've actually been playing a shitload of the LOTR mod for Medieval 2 and it might be the biggest, most professional mod I've played in a very long time. They literally could have made that game at retail if they could and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe we need a thread on it. :p

54-46!

Time to reinstall this game, didn't touch it for more than one or two hours last year.. but with a new 7950 it's time for it to shine :D

54-46!

I love this game!

I really didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do now, glad I waited to play it until I popped in a new graphics card, game looks amazing.

54-46!

Anyone else having trouble with graphical glitches after the latest patch? I've got black lines and dots all over.

on a 7950.

Najaf

Any impressions from Fall of the Samurai? Reviews look good, but I am particularly curious if co-op campaign actually functions in the expansion. They never patched out that desync crap from vanilla Shogun 2.

Desaan

Any impressions from Fall of the Samurai? Reviews look good, but I am particularly curious if co-op campaign actually functions in the expansion. They never patched out that desync crap from vanilla Shogun 2.

It does work, deysnc's still happen but less frequently. It's hard to go back to the original campaign after player FOTS, I'm not really a big fan of artillery and guns in Shogun games as it takes away a lot of the tactics but the improvements to the overall gameplay far outweigh any niggles the campaign might have.

Sea battles are much more fun now all ships are firing cannons instead of arrows :p (the auto resolve on sea battles is still terrible).

Dennis

Banned
March glorious army to take capital of rival clan. Lay siege.

Uprising in home province, generates 10 unit stack rebel army. Lays siege.

Annihilate rival clan.

Rebels takes your capital.

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

haikira

Having problems with coop, playing with a friend. Every so often, there'll be a player controlled battle, that just craps out for us. It'll load it up fine for both of us, but then just sit stalled, with a timer stuck at 299 seconds. I think it says it's waiting for the other play, and we both get it exactly the same. The only way to get out of it, for us, is Alt F4.

Anyone have similar problems and know a way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Derrick01

Banned
Ok Shogun 2 experts, I need some help with sieges as an attacker. I struggle mightily with them even on easy no matter what I try. I'm missing something important I think. Here's the post I made in the steam thread that was basically ignored.

Man siege battles in Shogun 2 with me= ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

I do good defending but attacking I'm apparently missing something. Even on easy I get destroyed if they don't leave the castle.

I have archers try to take people out inside...they get sniped by the enemy's protected archers and towers.

I climb up the walls...they get destroyed before they can get up there.

I burn the walls/door down...I get wedged into a tight corridor and get slaughtered.

I have a ninja sabotage the gates before the battle...same result as the one above.

And that was on easy difficulty.

edit: I should specify that this is from a really early campaign so I don't have access to advance units or buildings. But it doesn't matter, as the castles get bigger and enemies get stronger I only struggle more to break in.

I start playing this and as every strategy game, I suck. I was expending really good until suddenly people start to starve. I was not upgrading castle but expending (to get more food right ?) should I have get the better food tech earlier ?

I start playing this and as every strategy game, I suck. I was expending really good until suddenly people start to starve. I was not upgrading castle but expending (to get more food right ?) should I have get the better food tech earlier ?
This is a late reply but yes, get better food tech early then develop castles. If you conquer a large castle that requires three food and you only have three food spare then you will have 0 food. Markets also use up food. Unfortunately you can't trade for food, something I hope will be in Rome II when it comes out this year.

leroidys

Sorry for the necro, but I reinstalled this game and am finding it totally unplayable. I used to play it OK on the same machine with some settings turned down, but now it runs at about 8 fps even at lowest settings with the lowest possible resolution. Even just loading the initial splash takes like 6-8 minutes. Anyone had similar issues?

Top Bottom