• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

We need a 3 Kingdoms Total War.

Definitely getting this though.

BTW, why is the demo so big? It's 3 freaking gigabytes for a goddamn demo!!!

Weenerz

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

Napoleon was a 20gb download, so I'm guessing Shogun will be just as big, if not bigger.

hamchan

Cow Mengde said:

YEEEEESSS!

Or they could start moving into fictional universes, that would be pretty damn interesting. I still have to buy Medieval II:Kingdoms just to play that Third Age mod.

Anyways I think I've learnt my lesson from Empire and Napoleon that I should buy this game when it gets discounted, as it will probably be quite cheap by the next steam sale.

leroidys

Cow Mengde said:

Yes, yes, yes. Blows my mind they havent done this yet. Instead of doing medieval and shogun II they should have done new areas. Still hyped for shogun II though.

Weenerz said:
Napoleon was a 20gb download, so I'm guessing Shogun will be just as big, if not bigger.

I feel like a fucking pirate because I'm going through bittorrents to try and download the demo. I just gave up in fear of downloading something else since the file sizes I saw didn't match the stuff posted on the sites. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for the best with this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There any videos of this game just straight up being played? No swipes, production, whatever?

I'd love GiantBomb to do a quick look, but I doubt they will.

It gets released at 6 am tomorrow in Sydney, but the store I pre-ordered it at opens at 9. Cruel cruel world. Should've got it on steam. When I bring it home I'll probably have to wait for a download too. Hating.

Otherwise it looks promising. Never really been sold on the setting to be honest, think there are better options but whatever.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OttomanScribe said:
It gets released at 6 am tomorrow in Sydney, but the store I pre-ordered it at opens at 9. Cruel cruel world. Should've got it on steam. When I bring it home I'll probably have to wait for a download too. Hating.
Yeah, I can't believe they haven't allowed a pre-download yet.

Sethos

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I feel like a fucking pirate because I'm going through bittorrents to try and download the demo. I just gave up in fear of downloading something else since the file sizes I saw didn't match the stuff posted on the sites. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for the best with this.

The demo is on Steam mate

As for clans, I'm going with Shimazu I believe.

demolitio

All these games make me wish I had money considering this will be the first TW game I haven't played. Makes me angry considering this setting is surprisingly appealing to me still.

How long do you think it will be until a Steam sale? Considering Napoleon's sales lately, I'm hoping this one goes down in price quickly too.

Sethos

Banned
demolitio said:
All these games make me wish I had money considering this will be the first TW game I haven't played. Makes me angry considering this setting is surprisingly appealing to me still.

How long do you think it will be until a Steam sale? Considering Napoleon's sales lately, I'm hoping this one goes down in price quickly too.

Considering Napoleon is an ageing title now, I'd give it at least 3-4 months before you see an actual sale on the game.

I'd still suggest you look at Direct2Drive's sale or a cheap copy in a retail store - The keys are Steamwork, so you can add them to your Steam account. It's pointless to pay that crazy full price on Steam.

I've never played a Total War game, but this could be the title that gets me into it. I'm a fan of the setting since I played Kessen on PS2, and I'm getting interested in this especially after seeing the Tokugawa faction. Disappointed that CTRL+F in the OP for "Toyotomi" and "Ishida" had no results though, looks like no Battle of Sekigahara recreation for me.

Somehow I didn't realize until now that there's a demo for Shogun 2 on steam. I will definitely check that out. I've probably missed some great Total War games on the sale so far.... maybe next time, if this demo makes me a fan of the gameplay.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Boo, hiss, etc. @ no pre-load. 20 gigs ... guess I'll be playing it on Wednesday.

spicy cho

Can someone explain how the two player cooperative mode is going to work? I played the demo and it's by far the most interesting feature I read about, totally a buy if it's any good.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It launches at Midnight in the UK, can't believe there is no pre-load makes no sense at all.

kamspy said:
Trying the demo. Loved Shogun, Rome and Medieval, but after that ehhh.

Napoleon was a great game, and the Road to Revolution part of Empire was great too. It was just a total shame that Empire fell so utterly apart once you started playing the Grand Campaign. CA games always have bugs aplenty, but Empire felt like it was pushed out the door; I'm not even sure if the naval invasion bug has ever been fixed.

gotee12

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Boo, hiss, etc. @ no pre-load. 20 gigs ... guess I'll be playing it on Wednesday.
My hopes are that my retail copy won't require a 20GB "patch" after install...

Bust Nak

BarrenMind said:
I've never played a Total War game, but this could be the title that gets me into it. I'm a fan of the setting since I played Kessen on PS2, and I'm getting interested in this especially after seeing the Tokugawa faction. Disappointed that CTRL+F in the OP for "Toyotomi" and "Ishida" had no results though, looks like no Battle of Sekigahara recreation for me.

Somehow I didn't realize until now that there's a demo for Shogun 2 on steam. I will definitely check that out. I've probably missed some great Total War games on the sale so far.... maybe next time, if this demo makes me a fan of the gameplay.
You would be pleased to know Sekigahara is included in the demo.

Bossman

spicy cho said:
Can someone explain how the two player cooperative mode is going to work? I played the demo and it's by far the most interesting feature I read about, totally a buy if it's any good.

You both pick a faction and then play together. You can either autoresolve all battles or play them normally.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sethos said:
Considering Napoleon is an ageing title now, I'd give it at least 3-4 months before you see an actual sale on the game.

I'd still suggest you look at Direct2Drive's sale or a cheap copy in a retail store - The keys are Steamwork, so you can add them to your Steam account. It's pointless to pay that crazy full price on Steam.

Napoleon is 7.50 on steam and amazon today.

Sethos

Banned
AndyD said:
Napoleon is 7.50 on steam and amazon today.

I was talking about Shogun 2. The reason for the multiple Napoleon sales was its age.

Bossman said:
You both pick a faction and then play together. You can either autoresolve all battles or play them normally.

Well, all battles are auto-resolved until both players engage in the same battle, either as enemies or friends, then you get the manual option.

Bossman

Sethos said:
Well, all battles are auto-resolved until both players engage in the same battle, either as enemies or friends, then you get the manual option.

According to one review you can play the battles even if only one player takes part in them. In those situations the other player can be a spectator and watch the action or take a couple units from the player who is fighting the battle and control them.

Sethos

Banned
Bossman said:
According to one review you can play the battles even if only one player takes part in them. In those situations the other player can be a spectator and watch the action or take a couple units from the player who is fighting the battle and control them.

Ah, that's sweet - Would definitely help giving the Co-op campaign a boost. All the Auto-resolving was a bit boring.

markot

Banned
Its up on steam. But 'too busy to handle the request' when I put the key in >_>

THIS IS WHY WE PRE LOAD SEGA!!!!!!!!!!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
16GB pre-load put up 3 hours before release, guess it's better than nothing.

markot

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I wish pre-loading worked like regular downloading - I assume if I turn my PC off at any point, it fucks up?
No >.< just like all steam downloads it picks up where it left off. Pre load just means it is locked until release.

vexvegaz

Slackbladder said:
So the Total War series comes full circle. Interesting to see how the Clans have pretty much the same bonuses they had in the first Shogun.
I'm really looking forward to this game, so much so I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition - link
Luckily I pre-ordered it at Amazon for under £55. Looks like they're all sold now as they're going for £81!

i wish this was available here in the US, i really want that figurine. I was planning on buying it for the CE stuff even if i cant play it until my next pc build.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried the demo...it was pretty unplayable on my system (2500K @ 4.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x GTX 570). Even with lower settings, there was terrible input lag that made it frustrating to play.

markot

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Tried the demo...it was pretty unplayable on my system (2500K @ 4.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x GTX 570). Even with lower settings, there was terrible input lag that made it frustrating to play.
joke?

Aon

Started preloading two hours ago before I left for uni, madly hoping that the download doesn't pause while I'm away.

So I shall spend all day in the lectures learning some Japanese history from the period to hype myself. Does anyone with a familiarity with the period have any recommendations?

Installing now :D got the chess set edition because I like wasting money on limited edition stuff that sits on my shelf :(

Had two dvds to install it with, but it started dling the damn thing from Steam Servers... so I deleted local content and then put the disk back in and now it works. Damn straight, no way I was going to wait 9 hours for it!

I think I'm gonna start with the Shimazu.

Wes

venison crêpe
This is why I brought the retail DVD version. Would take me two weeks to download the full game.

gotee12

Has anyone's shipped that's using Amazon release day delivery? Mine hasn't shipped yet. D:

Edit: Finally shipped. I was starting to wonder if this would be the first time release day delivery failed for me...

TheExodu5 said:

Must be something wrong with your system then bro, my system (Intel i3 @ 2.93 GHz (x2), 4 GB RAM, 220 GT) played it fine at near max settings.

TheExodu5 said:

Please tell me you're joking. While my rig is old, it does surpass the minimum. If your set up can't do it, I can't imagine how I'll be able to play it.

keuja

When the odds are in your favor, are there any advantages to micro managing your army versus auto-resolving? I thought the core of the gameplay was actually the battles themselves aka manually moving your army on the field so skipping them seems a bit strange. (this will be my first Total war game)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TheExodu5 said:

Your computer is effed up man, seriously you should be able to run this without issue.

Top Bottom