• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

DrBo42

This campaign jump-in feature is fantastic. I love getting a win against a superior player made force with an unbelievably shitty CPU setup. How does that affect their game btw? Are those real unit losses or is it attributed to the avatar system and not mess up their real campaign?

Volodja

DurielBlack said:
I hope the AI is a lot more aggressive in battles too.

I hated it in Empire when the AI would attack ME, I would put my guys in a defensive position..then the AI would just sit there and do nothing. YOU attacked ME for fuck's sake...
The best was when the AI started moving its units randomly, ending up with attacks carried by 1 unit at a time against an entire line of riflemen or with cavalry units spazzing back and forth in an open field while my cannons were shooting at them (and missing every time).
It made for some perplexing battles.

gotee12

Anyone else with the Limited Edition not seeing the limited edition content in game?

And yes, I have used both activation codes...

edit: bonus historical mission and hattori clan are there, just not avatar armor or xp bank

Well stupid me, the xp bank is a little bit a text under your avatar name and the armor set is the "goldfish scale" set.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well since this game is getting a lot of favorable impressions (surprising after Empire and Napolean), I'll give it a shot again. Maybe my issues were due to SLI.

Volodja said:
The best was when the AI started moving its units randomly, ending up with attacks carried by 1 unit at a time against an entire line of riflemen or with cavalry units spazzing back and forth in an open field while my cannons were shooting at them (and missing every time).
It made for some perplexing battles.

Ha-ha yeah, that happened a lot and still does even after patching. AI also seems to like to melee their infantry a lot, I think its in response to being surrounded by my often-times superior troop placement.

Also I noticed the AI cheats and knows when you switch to grape shot on canons, it also knows perfectly what their range is and will hover just outside that zone.

Heard some good things about Shogun 2 AI, so hopefully we won't have a repeat.

Volodja

DurielBlack said:
Ha-ha yeah, that happened a lot and still does even after patching. AI also seems to like to melee their infantry a lot, I think its in response to being surrounded by my often-times superior troop placement.
Yeah, I know that the odd behaviour is still there, I have been experiencing it these days in preparation for Shogun 2.
Maybe I should have played the first instead but I wanted to dodge the awful effects that game has on my sleeping schedule.

Is there a good primer on how to get into the Total War combat? I've been playing the games for campaign since the original Shogun and despite multiple forays into trying out the RTS aspects, I usually just give up quickly and go back to campaign and auto-calc battles.

Man...now I'm reminding myself of Lords of the Realm. I loved those too...

Mrbob

eznark said:
I went through the install...why is it still downloading 16 gigs??

Stop the download. Delete local content and then install it off the disc. You might have just activated the game on Steam instead of installing it.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Stop the download. Delete local content and then install it off the disc. You might have just activated the game on Steam instead of installing it.

It made me swap discs....

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope the DX11 features are added sooner rather than later. The visuals just add so much to the game.

Mrbob

Heh, weird, that is strange indeed. Can you try to install it while being in offline mode on Steam? Somehow I still believe the game is trying to download off of Steam instead of install off of disc.

Is the performance in the retail version better than the demo?

My aging rig could handle Empire and Napoleon quite well, but the Shogun 2 demo was quite sluggish.

Merino

DrBo42 said:
This campaign jump-in feature is fantastic. I love getting a win against a superior player made force with an unbelievably shitty CPU setup. How does that affect their game btw? Are those real unit losses or is it attributed to the avatar system and not mess up their real campaign?
How can you replace the CPU army in a drop in battle?
Didnt see any menu option for that anywhere.

I did encounter a real life enemy during my first battle in my campaign. Didnt even realize i had drop in battles on when i marched my pretty much equal strength army unto the CPU enemy.
The battle turned out into a total loss for me due to his defensive positioning.

I would love to be able to play as the cpu enemy in other peoples campaigns and make life harder for them!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
"Decrypting Steam files - 74% complete"

Been like that for ten minutes now. Oh boy.

eznark

Banned
God damn this game is beautiful. Voice work is great, music is great....haven't played enough to know if the AI will hold up but so far I am a huge fan

TheExodu5

Banned
I found the tickbox that was killing the framerate on my system: Hardware Shadows. It doesn't even make any sense. SSAO kills performance pretty badly too.

Even with SSAO off, Hardware Shadows drops my framerate in the manu to 10-15. Something is very wrong with that.

Corto

TheExodu5 said:
I found the tickbox that was killing the framerate on my system: Hardware Shadows. It doesn't even make any sense. SSAO kills performance pretty badly too.

Even with SSAO off, Hardware Shadows drops my framerate in the manu to 10-15. Something is very wrong with that.

It won't be of any direct help for you but on my PC I get between 38-40 fps with maximum settings and SSAO and Hardware Shadows enabled. I'm on a i7 870 non OC'ed @2,93 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a single GTX 570. Maybe something to due with your sli setting?

TheExodu5

Banned
Corto said:
It won't be of any direct help for you but on my PC I get between 38-40 fps with maximum settings and SSAO and Hardware Shadows enabled. I'm on a i7 870 non OC'ed @2,93 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a single GTX 570. Maybe something to due with your sli setting?

Yup, it was SLI. I turned off SLI and my framerate is 50fps in the menu with everything enabled now.

Corto

TheExodu5 said:
Yup, it was SLI. I turned off SLI and my framerate is 50fps in the menu with everything enabled now.

Nice! If you will, post here if you manage to force AA. I have NVidia Inspector already set to force it but the game still shows some jaggies...

Sethos

Banned
I'm running this game at 1920x1200, everything on Ultra, Hardware Shadows enabled and SSAO disabled with my 5970 at around 60 FPS steady. ( Vsync'd ) Not sure that'd be possible with a single core GPU alone? ( Latest 11.4 Alpha drivers )

Einherjar

Yeah I'd like a combat primer as well. My first Total War game, i did tutorial 1 and 2, too lazy to do 3.

Played like 10 1v1's, won 3 lol.

Right now this is my understanding:

Yari tank [front]
Sword dps
Bow rigged as hell
Cavalry move separate from main army to kill bow dudes from side/behind and dodge spear dudes

Step 1: Choose formation
Step 2: Right click a building, enemy will be nearby
Step 3: double right-click enemy while maintaining formation and charge
Step 4: Micro units and see result?

What do I need to do to bring my game to the next level?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
keuja said:
so SLI and CF not supported in the game confirmed? :/

Using 6950 CF and things ran smoothly at max settings.

May need to tweak settings or consider reinstalling to SSD to make campaign end turns instant.

teh_pwn

fizzelopeguss said:
I have no idea how you Multi GPU peeps do it, i'd be going fucking apeshit if a gpu of mine ended up a paperweight.

Most games support multi GPU. When it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. The reason why I got CF is because 6950 CF cost $500, and yet performs 40% faster than a GTX 580 and matches a 6990 but at $300 less. It could be I was using a single 6950, but didn't realize it because a single 6950 isn't that slow.

TheExodu5

Banned
teh_pwn said:
Using 6950 CF and things ran smoothly at max settings.

May need to tweak settings or consider reinstalling to SSD to make campaign end turns instant.

Is Crossfire actually working though? Is it improving performance?

SLI had no real adverse effects until I turned on Hardware Shadows.

teh_pwn

TheExodu5 said:
Is Crossfire actually working though? Is it improving performance?

SLI had no real adverse effects until I turned on Hardware Shadows.

No idea. Everything was on max settings by default at 1080p when I loaded (using HDTV). I turned on HW shadows, added something about ambient line shadows, hit apply, didn't really notice a difference, and then started a campaign. Did I need to restart to apply changes? I noticed that the highest level shaders and AA were not selectable. Is patching directX 11 and AA the next generation of patching?

Going to bed soon, I can check tomorrow. But generally recall everything running smoothly. Remember there being some jaggies zooming in on the battle field on plants/foliage.

Is there a console with a command to display FPS?

mt1200

Im downloading the demo right now.

How would it run with full effects, 1792x1344 in this PC:

Phenom 2 955 - 3.4ghz
HD5770
4 gigs ram.

teh_pwn

mt1200 said:
Im downloading the demo right now.

How would it run with full effects, 1792x1344 in this PC:

Phenom 2 955 - 3.4ghz
HD5770
4 gigs ram.

Probably pretty well considering AA and high end shaders are locked out.

I ended up buying this on a whim last night. Didn't get too far into it but I am liking it so far.

Pretty bummed about the exclusive retail content though....Keep that shit out of my PC gaming!

Morn

Banned
Letting Steam download overnight. I forgot that I got Napoleon during the Steam sale, should I install that too?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So how are people finding the game? Spent a few hours with it tonight. Still a bit too early to form a full opinion yet, but I'm pretty happy with what I've played thus far.

pix

Morn said:
Letting Steam download overnight. I forgot that I got Napoleon during the Steam sale, should I install that too?

As long as you don't have a bandwidth cap lol. That's 39GB for 2 games.

schragnasher

Neo Member
I am INCREDIBLY impressed with the multiplayer feature set in Shogun 2. The persistent nature of the general and elite units is a awesome feature. There is actually a reason for clans to exit and fight. And the drop in battles for the campaign is a cool addition.

eznark

Banned
I was going to wait to build a new PC for Battlefield, but I think this might push me over the edge. As soon a I find out how ludicrous my property tax bill is going to be I am going all out on a new PC. This game is pretty, but I guaranty with a nice rig it is absolutely gorgeous.

Runs fantastically on my 4 year old machine though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Know what's annoying? Normally when a game doesn't support SLI, I usually just set "Single GPU" in my SLI settings for my game profile. For some reason, that doesn't work in this game and ends up just cutting my fps in half. I have to actually disable SLI completely (for all games) to get it to work.

Things like this are why I will never be going with a dual GPU solution again.

eznark said:
I was going to wait to build a new PC for Battlefield, but I think this might push me over the edge. As soon a I find out how ludicrous my property tax bill is going to be I am going all out on a new PC. This game is pretty, but I guaranty with a nice rig it is absolutely gorgeous.

Runs fantastically on my 4 year old machine though.

Awesome to read, sir! I've got a physical copy coming in from the UK, really looking forward to it.

Sethos

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Know what's annoying? Normally when a game doesn't support SLI, I usually just set "Single GPU" in my SLI settings for my game profile. For some reason, that doesn't work in this game and ends up just cutting my fps in half. I have to actually disable SLI completely (for all games) to get it to work.

Things like this are why I will never be going with a dual GPU solution again.

Sounds like a driver issue, rather than the game not supporting multi-GPUs. It seems to take full advantage of both my cores.

Orgun

This multiplayer sounds really interesting but I've never played ANY multiplayer in ANY Total War game. Hnngh must resist purchase for one more week.

loving this game, but god I suck....I have no idea how to approach battles

So i ended up doing the tutorial missions, and I actually ended up losing against the AI in the fortress seige....in a fookin tutorial!! that's pretty sad on my part, lol

eznark

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
loving this game, but god I suck....I have no idea how to approach battles

So i ended up doing the tutorial missions, and I actually ended up losing against the AI in the fortress seige....in a fookin tutorial!! that's pretty sad on my part, lol

Don't they suggest auto-resolving that battle...and isn't it like 90/10 in your favor!?

Formations and specials are important. Use them. Also flank...a lot.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Orgun said:
This multiplayer sounds really interesting but I've never played ANY multiplayer in ANY Total War game. Hnngh must resist purchase for one more week.

Neither had I. It was always a bit clunky feeling. But this is done well. Makes finding a game quick and easy.

Bossman

The multiplayer mode is pretty addicting, I must say. It's so much fun trying to level up your veteran troops and gaining more skills & retainers for your avatar. The avatar customization seems to pretty deep because there are plenty of different skills and they all have their uses. I think I'm gonna make my general an archer next.

eznark said:
Don't they suggest auto-resolving that battle...and isn't it like 90/10 in your favor!?

Formations and specials are important. Use them. Also flank...a lot.

the old guy tells me to use my special units to overtake the fortress w/out actually giving any specific strategic advice and I couldn't move to the next advice until it was completed.

I am like...uuuuhhhhhhh, so I tried to invade and lost, lol

Top Bottom