• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Argh. Start the game. Pick a faction, start a campaign. Click on enemy army to get a look at its makeup.

CTD

Wtf man. Do I look like a beta tester?

Aon

This must be one of the first time when a game advertised as releasing on the 15th on Steam has actually come out on the 15th in the country.

Speaking of the 15th, I spent all day reading about old Nobunaga, Ieyasu and Hideyoshi, who has a delightful name. Seems that a decent degree of Nobunaga's success was due to ill health on behalf of his foes.

So I think it's only fair to try and poison everyone I meet.

Aon said:
This must be one of the first time when a game advertised as releasing on the 15th on Steam has actually come out on the 15th in the country.

Speaking of the 15th, I spent all day reading about old Nobunaga, Ieyasu and Hideyoshi, who has a delightful name. Seems that a decent degree of Nobunaga's success was due to ill health on behalf of his foes.

So I think it's only fair to try and poison everyone I meet.

Well, there was the Battle of Okehazama, that was a brilliant piece of work (and more than a little lucky).

Facism

fuck's sake, i've got the retail but steam insists of giving me OMG SERVER TOO BUSY TO HANDLE REQUEST DONWLOAD THE GAME OOOOMMMGG IGNORE THE DISC crap.

Nice to see folks getting behind the Shimazu. Brilliant clan.

Cannot wait for this to drop into my post box! Haven't touched a Total War game since Shogun, so a fine return to the series.

OttomanScribe said:
Argh. Start the game. Pick a faction, start a campaign. Click on enemy army to get a look at its makeup.

CTD

Wtf man. Do I look like a beta tester?
CTD's? In a Total War game? Who's heard of such a thing? ;) I used to get them all the time in Empire, particularly when trying to merge fleets together. Please don't have the same problem in Shogun 2?

Orgun

Watched the multiplayer video on gametrailers and I think i'm going to have to give this a try, gonna have to get the demo this evening.

Sethos

Banned
And oddly I've never had a single issue in a Total War game except a few bugs - I don't always think the game(s) are to blame but rather people's PCs.

Sethos

Banned
I hate when you have a slow ass connection and no patience :|

639362067.png

Sethos said:

639362067.png

Fuck you. Is it really a 1gb launch day patch?

On steam downloads the best download speed I get is 30kps, the best I can get on any other download is about 60kps average.

Also I have to babysit steam and pause/restart the download every hour or so, because it eventually drops down to 1-5kps for no reason. Steam is a load of shit and I hate it.

spicy cho

Just bought off d2d after a friend confirmed he was buying for coop. Not looking forward to downloading it, will probably leave it to go overnight/while I'm at work tomorrow.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Yeah D2D is nice alternative to get it as there's a 20% off sale, so it'll end up being $39.99. Alternatively, amazon has it for digital download for $39.99 as well. Still wish these digital distributors had the limited edition version though :\.

Sethos said:

639362067.png

Oh sure, brag about your super fast connection... It would take me about 16 hours to download all 16 GB. This is why I don't use steam. Even a 3/4 GB file takes a few hours. I could have walked to the store and back in 40 minutes and be playing. Actually, my walking speed is faster than your internet connection to, so HA!

Morn

Banned
Speculator said:
Yeah D2D is nice alternative to get it as there's a 20% off sale, so it'll end up being $39.99. Alternatively, amazon has it for digital download for $39.99 as well. Still wish these digital distributors had the limited edition version though :\.

Are the Amazon and D2D versions Steam keys?

Veritas_

Just had a crash to desktop on my first battle, before I got to do anything. Didn't have any problems with the demo. =/

Edit: I verified the game cache and it came back with 5 borked files. Trying running that if you're having CTD issues. I'll try again later and report back.

Corto

Anti aliasing greyed out on the final game. I forced it through NVidia Inspector but the jaggies are still visible mainly on the flag poles. Minor inconvenience (for me at least) as the game is still gorgeous. The surround sound audio is also godly. From what I could find through search it seems that AA will be latter patched in along with DX11 support. Just a caveat that I read this on steam forums, not from an official source... so... yeah...

Volodja

Sigh, the store had a problem with the distributor and they didn't have the game today and buying the normal edition somewhere else didn't sound good enough.
I'll have to wait a few more days to play the game it seems, hopefully I'll be able to grab a Limited edition when they get it.

At least I'll have the time to see if the game is too buggy right now.

gotee12

For those with retail copies, there is a 569MB patch to download and install (via Steam obviously) after you've gone through the 2 disc installation. Or at least it was for me.

The limited edition stuff unlocks via a code. It seems as though the limited stuff is included with the base game install as no other download/installers kicked in after I registered the limited edition key code.

DrBo42

Really liking it so far. Pretty awesome to be outnumbered 2 to 1 during a rainstorm and come out on top. Great atmosphere.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Please tell me you're joking. While my rig is old, it does surpass the minimum. If your set up can't do it, I can't imagine how I'll be able to play it.
Maxed out completely, it stuttered at a good 10-20fps. When I lowered the settings a bit, I was getting 30-60fps, but the crazy input lag remained. When I drew a selection box, the box would form itself fractions of a second after I drew it. Quite annoying.

And no, there's nothing wrong with my system.

I can test it some more tonight. Maybe it's some vsync folly.

More than likely though, the game doesn't support hardware mouse. Unless there's a checkbox I missed somewhere.

mkenyon

Banned
depths20XX said:
Tempted to get this but not if the AI is ass like in Empire.

Supposedly that's the significant update to this one. PC Gamer has been raving about the devious AI for awhile.

Almighty

I am really enjoying this game. I set the difficulty to hard and lost my first battle. Something that almost never happened to me in the previous Total Wars unless the enemy had me completely out numbered.

From what little I have played so far the enemy AI seems better already in one battle it managed to flank me with its cavalry. Luckily I was able to catch it at almost the last second or it really would of messed up my archers.

Though for full disclosure i have to mention that I am a pretty average player when it comes to the battles so your experience may very.

Sethos

Banned
Multiplayer is fun, everyone just bunkers down for 30-40 minutes and then someone gets bored, attacks and whoever makes the right decisions in that 3 minute battle, wins ... Eugh.

Just won a match and I don't even feel great or happy, just this blend "meh" feeling.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
54-46! said:
I'm surprised how well it seems to run on my system on Ultra settings.. but, why is there no anti-aliasing?

You can override it on the video card's control panel, but you'll have to disable depth of field in the game.

Sethos

Banned
54-46! said:
I'm surprised how well it seems to run on my system on Ultra settings.. but, why is there no anti-aliasing?

Indeed, runs completely smooth here with everything maxed out. It's sad we've reached a point where we are happy when a game runs somewhat decent :p

54-46!

FlyinJ said:
You can override it on the video card's control panel, but you'll have to disable depth of field in the game.
I tried that, doesn't seem to work.

BotoxAgent said:
what's the specs on your PC?
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 @ 3,2GHz
GPU: HD4890 1GB
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

gotee12 said:
For those with retail copies, there is a 569MB patch to download and install (via Steam obviously) after you've gone through the 2 disc installation. Or at least it was for me.

The limited edition stuff unlocks via a code. It seems as though the limited stuff is included with the base game install as no other download/installers kicked in after I registered the limited edition key code.

Just picked up my copy, I might actually get to play this game for an hour or so tonight then after the patch.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Almighty said:
I am really enjoying this game. I set the difficulty to hard and lost my first battle. Something that almost never happened to me in the previous Total Wars unless the enemy had me completely out numbered.

From what little I have played so far the enemy AI seems better already in one battle it managed to flank me with its cavalry. Luckily I was able to catch it at almost the last second or it really would of messed up my archers.

Though for full disclosure i have to mention that I am a pretty average player when it comes to the battles so your experience may very.

Nice, I suck at Total War games in the RTS battle modes. Its weird, I love total war games for the Campaign gameplay (turn based). I almost always sim battles and just run the game from the map screen. Is there anyway to just watch the AI fight on your behalf?

54-46!

Also, when I popped in the disc and installed the game - Steam asked for my activation code, looked at the back of the manual "Steam activation code: ...", there was nothing there! went mad as hell for a minute and then looked under the second disc.

Sega's face?

ijLeaO.jpg

I like this series for the campaign map, not for the RTS; however, I have both Empire and Napoleon and neither run well at ALL for me on the campaign map screen. Tons of loading between turns. This is despite the fact that my computer exceeds the recommended reqs on that "test your computer performance for internet video games" website.

Anyone have any feedback on how the city management performance is (specifically map performance and AI turn length) compared to Empire/Napoleon?

I hope the AI is a lot more aggressive in battles too.

I hated it in Empire when the AI would attack ME, I would put my guys in a defensive position..then the AI would just sit there and do nothing. YOU attacked ME for fuck's sake...

Also I hope the maps are better. I've stopped using canons entirely in Empire because EVERY single map would either have a stupid-ass town in between me and the enemy, tons of trees in the way, or just enough of an uphill slop my canons would only shoot the ground. Money is better spend on line infantry and cavalry.

Technology also took way the hell too long to research, another reason I skipped canons because by the time I could get mobile horse artillery the game was pretty much decided by then.

I put over 100 hours in Empire though, and probably more into Medieval 2.

Almighty

Trin3785 said:
Is there anyway to just watch the AI fight on your behalf?
I don't think there is, but I am not 100% sure on that.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyone have any feedback on how the city management performance is (specifically map performance and AI turn length) compared to Empire/Napoleon?

From what I have played it is much better then Empire/Napoleon was. Though I am still pretty early in the game and most of the map is still the 2d map. So there is still that chance it might change as i reveal more of the map.

For reference my PC specs are:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz
GPU: GTX 260
Ram: 4GB

Almighty said:
From what I have played it is much better then Empire/Napoleon was. Though I am still pretty early in the game and most of the map is still the 2d map. So there is still that chance it might change as i reveal more of the map.

For reference my PC specs are:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz
GPU: GTX 260
Ram: 4GB
Hmm... Ok, thanks. That's a bit encouraging.

Top Bottom