• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shohei Ohtani becomes the first 50-50 player in the history of Major League Baseball

Thaedolus

I’m surprised there wasn’t a thread about this (if I didn’t miss it).

Fucking incredible talent and player.

Edit:

50-50 means 50 home runs and 50 stolen bases in a single season, only six players are in the 40-40 club, Shohei stands alone

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And when healthy, can pitch too. Can do everything.

David Ortiz was whining he didn't get an MVP, while Ohtani will despite both being DH's.

Did 50/50 in style too. WTF, check out his line today!

6-6, 4, R, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 SB.

YrYXloU.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
see how the rest of his career plays out before calling him the GOAT. people were saying that about Mike Trout after he had been in the league like 3 years too.

I don't know why this man still insists on being a pitcher, he's already a HOF slugger

Maybe he really loves Tommy John surgeries and wants lots of them, if so then keep pitching I guess

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Actually a really good dripline, it's a heck of a record of course he'll get more this season, we'll see if Ohtani can add a World Series ring too.

Nydius

I don't know why this man still insists on being a pitcher, he's already a HOF slugger

Maybe he really loves Tommy John surgeries and wants lots of them, if so then keep pitching I guess

I don't disagree but if that's the case the Dodgers should demand to restructure his contract and pay him less. They paid him a shitload of money based on the idea they were eventually going to get a 2-way phenom for several years after his Tommy John rehab. Both a HOF slugger and HOF pitcher.

I doubt they would have given him as much money, deferred or not, if he had only wanted to be a full time designated hitter.

Thaedolus

I don't disagree but if that's the case the Dodgers should demand to restructure his contract and pay him less. They paid him a shitload of money based on the idea they were eventually going to get a 2-way phenom for several years after his Tommy John rehab. Both a HOF slugger and HOF pitcher.

I doubt they would have given him as much money, deferred or not, if he had only wanted to be a full time designated hitter.
He just did something nobody has ever done in the history of MLB baseball. He’ll likely start pitching again too, which is unheard of in the modern era for a slugger. Do you really think his value is just in his combined stats? The hype from him is unreal, he’ll definitely pay for that contract.

dorkimoe

not to take anything away but the new stolen base rule made it insanely easier to steal bases. But this dude is 1 of a kind, hate to see him on the dodgers, but at least hes not wasting away in Anaheim

Last edited:

NickFire

And when healthy, can pitch too. Can do everything.

David Ortiz was whining he didn't get an MVP, while Ohtani will despite both being DH's.

Did 50/50 in style too. WTF, check out his line today!

6-6, 4, R, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 SB.

YrYXloU.jpeg
That single game stat line is incredible. What a way to seal up 50/50. The gentleman is Exhibit A of generational talents.

I'll be hoping the Dodgers win it all this year. I'd like to see Shohei get that ring.

calistan

I don't know much about baseball, but I wish football here in England had the same reverence for its statistics. They reset everything in 1991, and a century of all-time great players was effectively swept under the carpet.

Raven117

He is excellent, don’t get me wrong. But to say “Not even close best baseball player?”

To me, that just means one hasn’t followed baseball.

Ballthyrm

Looking at it from an outsider perspective.
When you have an outlier like this it can mean two things.

1. That person is an Alien , never to be seen again, he is basically breaking physics.
  2. Not enough people are playing the game, so when someone that's actually good shows up, he looks like the new coming of christ.
So is he really that good ? or are all the other players average because regular athletes are picking other sports.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best single season accomplishment ever. Too bad he didnt pitch and field too. When he does, he's solid too.

Never the less, he's solid in every part of baseball. Look at his stats and there isn't one drawback. He's even good defensively when he plays OF. And his SB line, he's 51-4. So not only does he steal a lot, but he barely gets caught. Some speedsters might rack up 40-50 SB, but get caught 20 times. Check up Juan Pierre as an example.

Baseball is a sport it seems the more of a slugger you are, the slower the player often is. Not all the time, but often that's the case. Bulk up for power. So to have a power hitter who can hit and also steal that much isnt very common. He's second in the league in SB.

I don't even watch baseball and even I heard it from people around me. it's really awesome, but at the risk of sounding too "Asian parents", is it possible for him to go 55/55 or maybe even 60/60?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its amazing and i gotta give credit to the Marlins manager for pitching to him. As a yankees fan, its been infuriating watching people pitch around Judge for 3 fucking years.

Especially this year and he's still hit 53 homeruns.

Both Judge and othani are legendary athletes. Othani is better because he's more complete but Judge is a better hitter.

The fact that they are doing this in a pitcher's era where averages are at record lows is even more insane.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its amazing and i gotta give credit to the Marlins manager for pitching to him. As a yankees fan, its been infuriating watching people pitch around Judge for 3 fucking years.

Especially this year and he's still hit 53 homeruns.

Both Judge and othani are legendary athletes. Othani is better because he's more complete but Judge is a better hitter.

The fact that they are doing this in a pitcher's era where averages are at record lows is even more insane.
Imagine how many HR they'd hit 20 years ago during the juiceball era where Team ERA almost hit 5.

SlimySnake

Imagine how many HR they'd hit 20 years ago during the juiceball era where Team ERA almost hit 5.
i was looking at average pitcher velocity from 2008 and it was 88. today it's 95. So much easier to hit homeruns back then even if you werent juicing.

back then they had one guy hitting 100 (Gagne who himself was roiding). now there are dozens if not a hundred pitchers throwing 100+mph. its virtually impossible to hit a homerun off a 100+ mph pitch. i think there have been only a couple this season.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Getting back to your point about IBB, since Vladdy G has been red hot since May, there have been times he got walked with nobody on. Wimps.

If you want to see craziness, check out Bonds IBB. One year he got 120 of them!

SlimySnake

Getting back to your point about IBB, since Vladdy G has been red hot since May, there have been times he got walked with nobody on. Wimps.

If you want to see craziness, check out Bonds IBB. One year he got 120 of them!
yeah i remember those Bonds seasons. Baseball is where its today because they allowed walks like to happen and people who paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars to watch players like Judge and Bonds simply didnt get to watch them because of cowards who would walk them.

NFL and Basketball are far more popular now because when the game is on the line, you will see the stars take over and do amazing things. Here, they are walked.

HoodWinked

I know what a Home Run is but how do you steal a base and why don't they stop him doing it?
It's when a player already on base, runs to another base without the batter hitting the ball. Usually 1st to 2nd since it takes longer for the ball to travel from home to 2nd. Also it's not easy to stop them since the fastest players steal also they are focusing on the next pitch. Also to get a stolen base runner out the other team has to tag them with the ball/glove.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yeah i remember those Bonds seasons. Baseball is where its today because they allowed walks like to happen and people who paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars to watch players like Judge and Bonds simply didnt get to watch them because of cowards who would walk them.

NFL and Basketball are far more popular now because when the game is on the line, you will see the stars take over and do amazing things. Here, they are walked.
Call me crazy, but I always thought walking players (intentional or not) would be better if all baserunners advanced one base no matter what. So if there's a guy on third and nobody else on and the batter gets a walk, the guy on third scores.

That would force pitchers to pitch, and not walk good hitters or try for a double play.

SlimySnake

Call me crazy, but I always thought walking players (intentional or not) would be better if all baserunners advanced one base no matter what. So if there's a guy on third and nobody else on and the batter gets a walk, the guy on third scores.

That would force pitchers to pitch, and not walk good hitters or try for a double play.
Yep. I believe you and I talked about this before. it would one hundred percent fix the issue especially if someone is on third and they would score if you walk judge with first base open.

it would also force pitchers to throw strikes which would result in more balls in play meaning more runs and just a better product in general. baseball as an entertainment product simply sucks right now. watching games is a pain and baseball was already boring. either bring back roids, or juiced balls, or make changes that combat this insane increase in average velocity.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I checked out on baseball so badly after the Bartman thing... I didn't even realize the NL had adopted the DH and that after a minute's research it has pretty much become a global standard? What the hell?

One of the stupidest rules in sports.

diffusionx

Gold Member
“50-50” is not a real thing. It’s just something people made up. Acuna got 41-73 last year while also playing in the outfield. Why is this arbitrary, round sounding number that much more of an achievement?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I checked out on baseball so badly after the Bartman thing... I didn't even realize the NL had adopted the DH and that after a minute's research it has pretty much become a global standard? What the hell?

One of the stupidest rules in sports.
And even dumber....

Interleague play only started in 1997, although teams from both conferences would play each other in preseason games.

How many pro sports leagues have divided teams into separate conferences during the regular season never playing each other, but then suddenly the championship has them meeting.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
And even dumber....

Interleague play only started in 1997, although teams from both conferences would play each other in preseason games.

How many pro sports leagues have divided teams into separate conferences during the regular season never playing each other, but then suddenly the championship has them meeting.
I didn't like interleague play back then that much because the DH would roll around. But yeah, it's especially egregious just because of the sheer number of games. 162? No excuse to not have everyone play each other.

I do still follow the NFL and this whole 17th game rubs me the wrong way as well. They had a perfectly fair schedule. 6 games in you division home and away. 4 games against a rotating division in your conference. 4 games against a division in the other conference, and then two games for the other two divisions in your conference where you're matched up with teams that finished in the same spot as you.

Pretty good, pretty fair, guarantees you play conference teams at least once every 3 years, and opposite conference once every 4 years.

But no they had to add a 17th game so you don't even get an even number of home/away, and then you get saddled with an international game where the field is grown/maintained for soccer and three people slip on every single play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
When will HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 weigh in?
The speed and power is crazy and dude is a dominant pitcher when healthy.

Honestly wish he would just focus on hitting and not risk the arm injuries

I have gotten to see him play a few times speaking from a pitchers point of view he covers the plate so well.

Most hitters will literally tell you how to get them out by their swings but this guy doesn’t have those get me out here spots

All that said I would fear facing Judge more

But Ohtani sure ranks up there with the greatest hitters ever and I played in the steroid era and pitched to people like Mark McGwire, Jose Conseco (both in the 1990 WS) Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa just to name a few who were all juiced out of their minds

Top Bottom