• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Yeah. And one looks nearly dead, and the other looks pleasant and warm and healthy. It's simply very fucking dangerous.

I don't watch UFC. I had no idea it was that bad for them. I don't get how the dead looking guy manages to fight like that. Seems like a stiff breeze would knock you over in that state. They should really do something to prevent shit like that. Not a good look.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't watch UFC. I had no idea it was that bad for them. I don't get how the dead looking guy manages to fight like that. Seems like a stiff breeze would knock you over in that state. They should really do something to prevent shit like that. Not a good look.
The desperation to have a half pound more muscle than your competitor is really strong. It's an advantage. People go to extremes, hell, pretty much most of them do unless they're comfortable fighting at a weight that is close to what their natural weight would be. The temptation to get an opponent physically weaker than you is pretty strong.

I mean hey look at McGregor. First fight with Diaz, he wasn't used to people that strong and shots he expected to send him reeling from didn't faze him.

Definitely read this about Dada 5000 nearly dying in the ring from his cut:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/1...e-on-bellator-149-scare-i-was-pronounced-dead

If Punk loses via forfeit, that's still a loss.

Weight cutting is the most dangerous part of MMA, without a doubt. Never mind potential head trauma, weight cuts are absolutely terrible and can lead to very long term issues. They're foolish and while they made a step by not allowing IV replenishment immediately after, it's a small step. Weight cuts are what nearly killed Dada 5000. He lost 40 lbs quickly over the course of a COUPLE MONTHS.

Someone isn't managing Punk very well. Or maybe he's not allowing himself to be managed. It sucks, I would like for him to do it right and not put his kidneys and heart at risk.

I agree about the management aswell. Punks never had to do a weight cut before and if he really is 30 pounds over has been let down by his coaches.

I trained at a boxing club for a bit and the coach weighed us every week, more if you had a fight coming up and would bust your balls if you wasn't taking care of your weight.

How they could let him be this much over days before the fight is bad.

Punk has to be working us.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree about the management aswell. Punks never had to do a weight cut before and if he really is 30 pounds over has been let down by his coaches.

I trained at a boxing club for a bit and the coach weighed us every week, more if you had a fight coming up and would bust your balls if you wasn't taking care of your weight.

A lot of this is projection but it's always possible he wanted to do it himself and abandoned their advice and had cheat days, or didn't bust his ass on it. I dunno. It's hard to say. Easy to say that assuming he is what a lot of people assume he is, entitled and given a UFC shot with no record and no experience - that is what it is - not so easy to speak on his work ethic when none of us are working with him.

If he does have a diet coach, and he isn't working anyone, that coach needs to take a hike unless Punk just refused to obey. And they're not gonna turn that away, he's a big money whale.

his coaches seem to keep repeating "you got heart kid you got heart" ad nauseum in those videos too. i don't think they have much faith in his skills and they don't seem like they're pushing him hard enough either.

he should switch camps. but then i'm just saying this based off a couple youtube videos, we'll see how prepared he is.

Sephzilla

The desperation to have a half pound more muscle than your competitor is really strong. It's an advantage. People go to extremes, hell, pretty much most of them do unless they're comfortable fighting at a weight that is close to what their natural weight would be. The temptation to get an opponent physically weaker than you is pretty strong.

I mean hey look at McGregor. First fight with Diaz, he wasn't used to people that strong and shots he expected to send him reeling from didn't faze him.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/1...e-on-bellator-149-scare-i-was-pronounced-dead

Well to be fair Diaz also has a jaw made out of fucking diamonds

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair Diaz also has a jaw made out of fucking diamonds
Yeah, but yknow. The principle still stands. He's a Diaz, which means no punches rattle him and he gigs like Ric Flair on the first touch.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, but yknow. The principle still stands. He's a Diaz, which means no punches rattle him and he gigs like Ric Flair on the first touch.
lQwB8bo.gif

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

Ok, so I remember people talking shit about Bellator allowing that fight to happen even before he had a heart attack. Does UFC have better doctors than this? It seems like its just a matter of time before someone dies unless they find a way to crack down on it.

Zach

Yeah. And one looks nearly dead, and the other looks pleasant and warm and healthy. It's simply very fucking dangerous.
I remember my ol' pal used to cut weight in high school for wrestling. He'd be out running around the neighborhood in a hoodie with, like, trash bags wrapped around his body and crap to maximize sweating to lose water weight. It's sick.

bjork

Tow guy just came, which is 1000% faster than I was expecting. Shit was breaking off the car as he got it up on his truck, and more fell off after he drove away. Bye bye, car. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I remember people talking shit about Bellator allowing that fight to happen even before he had a heart attack. Does UFC have better doctors than this? It seems like its just a matter of time before someone dies unless they find a way to crack down on it.
I would say not REALLY. It's a fundamental issue with all weight class sports.

Zach

Oh, man. KroniK botched their finisher so bad on this July 10, 2000 Nitro. NeoGAF KroniK (NVM and Dato) are rolling over in their grave.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Weigh ins are going to look even worse for Punk, so be prepared

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, man. KroniK botched their finisher so bad on this July 10, 2000 Nitro. NeoGAF KroniK (NVM and Dato) are rolling over in their grave.
I think I remember this. They fumble a lot. I remember seeing this one live if it's the one I think it was. Live on tv, I mean.

Top Bottom