• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Syder

YeaOh!

tumblr_ocsvzk887v1rfrhmao1_500.png

ReiGun

A little late to the topic, but I want to throw in some Sasha comments

1. I'm a pretty casual fan who admittedly only has base level knowledge of the actual in ring work. That said, the most I can say about Sasha in the ring is that I'm scared every time she has a match and I hate feeling that way. Someone, hell, several people need to get in her ear and tell her to chill the fuck out before she seriously hurts herself or someone else.

That Summerslam botch took me so completely out of the match, as do her suicide dives.

2. I think The Boss gimmick can work as a face, but Sasha doesn't know how to play it that way. The crux of the gimmick is "I made my come up my own way and now I'm at the top." You can tell that story with a good or bad guy. Admittedly, Sasha's character has more traditional heel traits. She's tells everyone that she's tougher than you, she's flyer than you, and everyone's there to see her and not you, you basic bitch. But that just makes her the girl Rock; a character that on paper is a total pompous asshole, and was one to start, but got the crowd on their side by being really cool.

The problem, of course, is that Sasha irl is a fucking dork and playing a character that's so different from herself has her really struggling to find that effortless charisma that made Rock work as a face in the long run. Or I should say she has it - she wouldn't be over otherwise - but doesn't yet have the confidence to properly channel it. You can tell when she's switching in and out of "Boss Mode" when she talks.

You can turn her heel - and with Bayley around, you might have to - but part of me thinks that could be a crutch. The character is easier to buy as a heel, but the root problem is that Sasha is having trouble truly embodying it.

Woah, why didn't anyone inform me Smackdown finally put its A Plus player on, Kane chokeslammed some jobber in his underpants, this is what the show has been craving.

Top Bottom