• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Sephzilla

He wasn't on a contract and he got pissed about how they did Bret.

Despite being DX's manager, I don't think he ever liked Shawn. I know he was closer with Scott and Kevin than Shawn

It sounds like outside of HHH nobody really liked Shawn in the mid/late 90s

Syder

It sounds like outside of HHH nobody really liked Shawn in the mid/late 90s
434233.gif

cordy

Banned
Del Rio

- Got a massive contract for his second WWE run
- Beat Cena clean and got the US title his first night
- Bummed out the rest of his run phoning shit in not giving a damn
- Got with Paige and even got her to tattoo "Papi" on her for him (TAT MY NAME ON YOU GIRL SO THEY KNOW ITS REAL, TAT MY FUCKING NAME ON YOU SO THEY KNOW ITS REAL!!)
- Left the company with the money, the girl and apparently he's ok with Vince and even said he might call back in the future

Damn.

Alberto Finesse Rio.

Del Rio

- Got with Paige and even got her to tattoo "Papi" on her for him (TAT MY NAME ON YOU GIRL SO THEY KNOW ITS REAL, TAT MY FUCKING NAME ON YOU SO THEY KNOW ITS REAL!!)
- Left the company with the money, the girl and apparently he's ok with Vince and even said he might call back in the future

Damn.

Alberto Finesse Rio.
El Patron has a way with his words.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still don't understand why they're trying to kick off the SmackDown PPV era without Cena being on the show.

The funny part to me is that the last three feuds I remember Cena being in was 1) Losing to KO clean, 2) Losing to ADR clean and 3) losing to AJ Styles clean. Sure, he got some of those wins back, but nobody really even remembers anything other than the losses.

Cagey

Banned
Del Rio

Damn.

Alberto Finesse Rio.
How does one say World Class Pipe Layer en Espanol?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel a little bad for Paige because she's so young and there's just not much in the way of opportunities for female wrestlers outside of WWE. Then again, she got completely overshadowed the moment Becky, Sasha and Charlotte showed up on Raw.

Speaking of which, it's still kind of funny to me how over Becky Lynch is despite this thread in particular seeming to really dislike her. I'm assuming she's probably going to lose the match at Backlash just to set up a program for her.

There is a story I've heard on the law a couple times where a wrestler had to go to the hospital for a syringe sick in him and then billed it to the WWE who then had to fire him.

Who was that?

Every fan knows that Hell in a Cell first entered the WWE Universe on Oct. 5, 1997, when Shawn Michaels survived a vicious match against The Undertaker. However, the sinister bout began taking shape 33 years ago in arenas across the South.

Fans tuning in to TBS each Saturday night in 1983 had the date and time pounded into their heads: Sunday, Oct. 23 at 8:30 p.m. Two of Georgia’s biggest stars would collide for the final time. To ensure that the fight stayed in the ring, officials declared the ring would be fully enclosed in a steel cage with a roof.

After tearing the South apart with chaotic brawl after chaotic brawl for nearly two years, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich and “Mad Dog” Buzz Sawyer would be locked inside the hellacious structure to settle the score once and for all. The brutal battle that ensued inside The Omni set the stage for the Superstars of today. WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels recalled the vicious encounter and came up with the idea that evolved into one of WWE’s most dangerous bouts: Hell in a Cell.

In the three decades since, tales of Rich and Sawyer’s war had reached mythic proportions, in part because no footage of the match was thought to exist, until now. Originally thought to be lost in time, complete video of the steel cage showdown was discovered in the WWE vaults and made available to the public for the first-time ever as a part of WWE Network’s Hidden Gems collection.

Originally, there was no way of proving their tales true, as very little, if any, video footage of The Last Battle of Atlanta was thought to exist. There were rumors that a Georgia Championship Wrestling official may have erased the footage by mistake. Every now and then, rumors popped up online of a mysterious tape trader who got hold of the footage, only for nothing to ever come of it. All we had that confirmed the match took place are a few photographs.

That is, until now.

In 2001, WWE purchased longtime competitor WCW and its video library. WWE’s video team admitted to WWE.com that WCW’s library arrived in “very unorganized” condition. “But that’s part of the fun,” they said. “It’s a tedious process to transfer and log all this footage, but we’re able to unearth some real gems.”

Gems like The Last Battle of Atlanta.

In 2016, a group of reels from the WCW library, simply labeled “Omni Live Events” were digitally transferred and logged. During the process, Eric Stefanowicz, Producer and Researcher/Historian for WWE’s Legacy Content team, discovered what many have referred to as the holy grail of wrestling video: The Last Battle of Atlanta. The video was in pristine condition. No restoration was required before it was uploaded to WWE Network, fulfilling the dreams of a generation of fans.

Now that everyone — from those who were there on that fateful October night in 1983 to fans who grew up on the Hell in a Cell Matches it inspired — can finally see just how Rich and Sawyer changed the wrestling industry.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/last-battle-of-atlanta-rich-sawyer

Angry Grimace

So if both 1 and 2 were different, and you were given the choice of Roman, The Model, or Rick Rude, you're gonna go with Roman?*

*in this scenario Rude is still alive

I would go with Roman every time. If I could look like anyone in wrestling past or present it would be Roman. Dude is a handsome fucking guy.

It isn't a mystery to me why they push Roman. I just don't get why he's a face when it isn't working. Is it HHH and Vince's fault? I mean, yes - the option of not letting Daniel Bryan compete in the 2015 Rumble was there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Roman looks good.

Roman can wrestle compellingly!

He's even got a certain charisma about him when he's not talking.

But trying to make him Jahn Cenar just isn't working. It would never work.

I feel a little bad for Paige because she's so young and there's just not much in the way of opportunities for female wrestlers outside of WWE. Then again, she got completely overshadowed the moment Becky, Sasha and Charlotte showed up on Raw.

Speaking of which, it's still kind of funny to me how over Becky Lynch is despite this thread in particular seeming to really dislike her. I'm assuming she's probably going to lose the match at Backlash just to set up a program for her.
She has the underdog appeal. Friends always betray her so the audience sympathize with her and she makes the most of what she is given. Charlotte and Sasha were the main focus during the call-up a year ago, but Becky managed to grow popular with the crowd even so when she was just a borderline sidekick half the time. I mean, she apparently wasn't even originally meant to be at 'Mania but the popularity she got from the RR Charlotte feud had it turned to a triple-threat. Now she's the top dog of Smackdown, with that being made clear regularly on the show. Her being separated from the other horsewomen was the best creative decision to make for her.

It's just a question of whether or not WWE want to give her the belt now or try dragging out the chase a little bit more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Becky Lynch is Sting. We weren't kidding around when we made those comparisons over and over again. She has the same appeal.

Angry Grimace

She has the underdog appeal. Friends always betray her so the audience sympathize with her and she makes the most of what she is given. Charlotte and Sasha were the main focus during the call-up a year ago, but Becky managed to grow popular with the crowd even so when she was just a borderline sidekick half the time. I mean, she apparently wasn't even originally meant to be at 'Mania but the popularity she got from the RR Charlotte feud had it turned to a triple-threat. Now she's the top dog of Smackdown, with that being made clear regularly on the show. Her being separated from the other horsewomen was the best creative decision to make for her.

It's just a question of whether or not WWE want to give her the belt now or try dragging out the chase a little bit more.

I'm pretty sure the reason Becky Lynch is popular is the obvious one: because she's hot and her gimmick is being adorkable.

That's not to say that any of the women they employ are not good-looking, because all of them are.

I'm pretty sure the reason Becky Lynch is popular is the obvious one: because she's hot and her gimmick is being adorkable.

That's not to say that any of the women they employ are not good-looking, because all of them are.
Well yeah, her looks play a part, but I wouldn't say the only reason people care about her is the fact she's good-looking.

Don't know what everyone's problem is with WM 2000, to be honest. It's got a generation defining ladder match, Pete Rose getting a stink face, and JR doing his best to expose the business on commentary.

Zach

Don't know what everyone's problem is with WM 2000, to be honest. It's got a generation defining ladder match, Pete Rose getting a stink face, and JR doing his best to expose the business on commentary.

No Mercy's ladder match was way more impressive.

#Broken Matt Hardy and Brother Nero vs. Edge and Christian in a seminal classic can only do so much to elevate an event that includes The Godfather vs. Mideon, the 70-something-year-old Fabulous Moolah winning the Women's Championship, The Rock vs. The British Bulldog Wearing Jeans, and Val Venis beating Mankind in, like, the lamest finish ever.

Seeee?

Angry Grimace

Well yeah, her looks play a part, but I wouldn't say the only reason people care about her is the fact she's good-looking.

I certainly wouldn't say its all looks, but I do think she has a she stands out because she's cute (and acts like it) when the average WWE female wrestler tends to be a statuesque bombshell, which lends itself to being a sympathetic character.

Sephzilla

Friend Zach, if Bluekaveli vs. OwensIsNow is the main event maybe we can be the undercard. #BraggingRights - Rawzilla vs Zachdown Live

Top Bottom