• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Marvel

could never
I think the one issue I have with Ambrose on the mic is when he starts sounding like he's following some beat instead of just talking, ready to drop the rhymes any second. It isn't exactly bad because he's still great on the mic, just something I always notice whenever it happens.
Oh so that's what that is.

It drives me... er crazy.

no ambrose gifs pls

Ambrose should study Brian Pillman and try to be more like his character. Dude made you feel like he was crazy enough to do something crazy.
The problem with Ambrose is that they made him cartoony lunatic and not dark lunatic like Pillman or similar to Piper. I get a kick out of his funny bits but I'd like to see him go full serious like he does the week before the matches. It would be cool if they let him be a face Moxley.

Ambrose should study Brian Pillman and try to be more like his character. Dude made you feel like he was crazy enough to do something crazy.
We found Austin.

Oh so that's what that is.

It drives me... er crazy.

no ambrose gifs pls
You want no Ambrose gifs? Well I got news for you buddy.

tumblr_ne633yOZy11qhwjmvo1_400.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. But yeah, I always notice it when he speaks for a period of time, since it always leads to that.

Kaladin

The problem with Ambrose is that they made him cartoony lunatic and not dark lunatic like Pillman or similar to Piper. I get a kick out of his funny bits but I'd like to see him go full serious like he does the week before the matches. It would be cool if they let him be a face Moxley.

With Ambrose, they should play off his hardcore past. Dude wrestled in legit death matches. Make people think he would fuck someone up like that....they were okay doing that for a while with Orton's punt. Why not have Ambrose tease some hardcore shit you don't normally see in WWE like he's gone off the rails.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My biggest problem with Ambrose is that he's actively bad at the wrestling part - everything he does screams "wrestling is fake" and not in the indie flippy way. Nothing he does looks like it hurts. Naomi's running kick thing legitimately looks better than Ambrose's noodle-based offense.

However, he's fine on the mic when they don't play up how craaaaaaaaazy he is and he was definitely due a run with the strap given that he was main eventing PPVs for a long time without actually winning anything.

I'm happy they're finally getting around to making new stars, but we still haven't escaped members of the Shield main-eventing everything.

Ambrose as a whole can't really exist as properly crazy in the intimidating way in the way WWE is being run. His most terrifying feats are what? Putting green goo in a briefcase, hiding in a box, using mustard and ketchup as attacks? Entertaining sure, but PG as hell.

With Ambrose, they should play off his hardcore past. Dude wrestled in legit death matches. Make people think he would fuck someone up like that....they were okay doing that for a while with Orton's punt. Why not have Ambrose tease some hardcore shit you don't normally see in WWE like he's gone off the rails.
What Ambrose needs is for Foley to eat him up in a promo that goes on about how he was the man that was similar to him and how he needs to bring that man back instead of the mustard squinting hot dog eating champion. Sucks that their feud was halted.

Kaladin

What Ambrose needs is for Foley to eat him up in a promo that goes on about how he was the man that was similar to him and how he needs to bring that man back instead of the mustard squinting hot dog eating champion. Sucks that their feud was halted.

Definitely, shame WWE stays away from Ambrose's hardcore past. He's a guy I think that would work so much better in the Attitude era where he'd had that highlighted and been given the crazy shit to run with.

In hindsight, it's unfortunate since it would have been cool but probably works better for Ambrose in the long run. Coming in with a Foley Extreme Rules feud would be great, but odds are if he did that by this point of time he'd be nowhere in the company. Ambrose coming in with the hottest stable in years worked out much better for him.

Definitely, shame WWE stays away from Ambrose's hardcore past. He's a guy I think that would work so much better in the Attitude era where he'd had that highlighted and been given the crazy shit to run with.
If he were in the era, he would've flourished better since his real character is full of the Attitude and likeness from that era.

In hindsight, it's unfortunate since it would have been cool but probably works better for Ambrose in the long run. Coming in with a Foley Extreme Rules feud would be great, but odds are if he did that by this point of time he'd be nowhere in the company. Ambrose coming in with the hottest stable in years worked out much better for him.
I actually thought it was going to be in fcw? Or was that the way they were bringing him to the main roster?
pls no

botchedspot is the only thing more viral on this ot than lapsed fan
You can't say that you didn't enjoy that comic lol.

Kaladin

The best thing they can do with Ambrose in the PG era is what they tried to do with the Lesnar feud. They booked him as a guy who wouldn't stay down and kept getting up no matter what. Shame he was against a guy that would never give him another chance to get his win back and complete the angle.

The best thing they can do with Ambrose in the PG era is what they tried to do with the Lesnar feud. They booked him as a guy who wouldn't stay down and kept getting up no matter what. Shame he was against a guy that would never give him another chance to get his win back and complete the angle.
Yeah the match was lackluster but Commentary could've at least sold it that way as you said. They have him a raw deal but he got up and carried on with it.

Kaladin

Yeah the match was lackluster but Commentary could've at least sold it that way as you said. They have him a raw deal but he got up and carried on with it.

Best they could do on Smackdown is have someone like Nakamura or Joe come in and destroy Ambrose several times until he's injured and gets a short break. Bring him back and give him a good shot at the guy that beat him down and you could have the match go either way depending on who you'd want going forward.

Oersted

Say what you want about Champ Ambrose, but the buildups deliver. AJ/Ambrose was hype, Friggin Ziggler/Ambrose was hype, Ambrose/Rollins was entertaining.

The ending to the Clash of Champions August 97 was probably one of the best I've ever seen in wrestling.

Such a bummer they still managed to ruin the Sting v Hogan match at that years Starrcade.

Kaladin

Here's what I'd do. I'd bring Joe into Smackdown after he's had his rematch vs Nakamura at the Survivor Series Takeover. Joe gets hot shotted to a title shot like Finn Balor did. He gets it at Smackdown's TLC PPV. Joe then proceeds to beat the shit out of Ambrose like Owens did to Zayn on NXT. It should be a beating like you haven't seen on the main roster since Cena jobbed to Lesnar. Give Ambrose some time off with no immediate rematch due to his "injuries". Then you have the Rumble winner from Raw with a returning Finn Balor. He could have the traditional choice of facing Kevin Owens or Samoa Joe at Mania....two of his greatest NXT opponents. Have him choose Owens because Raw and bring a red hot Ambrose back to challenge Joe at Mania in a match that could go either way.

I actually thought it was going to be in fcw? Or was that the way they were bringing him to the main roster?
The feud was gonna be how Ambrose got called up to the main roster. I'm pretty sure it was set for Extreme Rules too but I might be wrong (either way, it would be a hardcore match). They tweeted each other insults and what not to build it up. Ambrose was claiming that Foley set the standard for guys like him to ruin their bodies trying to be like him and get over the way he did. Then Mick found out from the doctors it would be insane for him to attempt that match and it got called off.

Here's what I'd do. I'd bring Joe into Smackdown after he's had his rematch vs Nakamura at the Survivor Series Takeover. Joe gets hot shotted to a title shot like Finn Balor did. He gets it at Smackdown's TLC PPV. Joe then proceeds to beat the shit out of Ambrose like Owens did to Zayn on NXT. It should be a beating like you haven't seen on the main roster since Cena jobbed to Lesnar. Give Ambrose some time off with no immediate rematch due to his "injuries". Then you have the Rumble winner from Raw with a returning Finn Balor. He could have the traditional choice of facing Kevin Owens or Samoa Joe at Mania....two of his greatest NXT opponents. Have him choose Owens because Raw and bring a red hot Ambrose back to challenge Joe at Mania in a match that could go either way.
I like it.
The feud was gonna be how Ambrose got called up to the main roster. I'm pretty sure it was set for Extreme Rules too but I might be wrong (either way, it would be a hardcore match). They tweeted each other insults and what not to build it up. Ambrose was claiming that Foley set the standard for guys like him to ruin their bodies trying to be like him and get over the way he did. Then Mick found out from the doctors it would be insane for him to attempt that match and it got called off.
Dope, I always figured Mick was going to be in nxt to help boost their name down there.

Kaladin

Good thing they only use 1 month.

It seems like they could be playing the long game this time with the traditional chapter points. We'll see how everything goes at Survivor Series and whether they're working to something bigger at Mania or if it's just another month of matches.

Top Bottom