• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

cordy

Banned
From Larry Csonka's review of TNA One Night Only September 2016:
"Mahabali Shera vs. Rockstar Spud: Spud yells at the crowd a lot to begin, Shera tries to dance and they finally start to wrestle. Shera did a go behind and then made Spud dance. COMEDY. More yelling from Spud, Shera mocks him for being small and offers to fight him from his knees. Shoot me now. The ref also drops to a knee and pretends to want to fight, this is stalling that would make Larry Zbyszko proud. Spud slaps Shera, we get a Scooby-Doo chase scene and Spud then grabs a chair and threatens to use it. Shera attacked, tossing Spud to the corner with Shera being so slow that Spud is bumping before he even tosses him to the corer. This is embarrassingly bad, Shera chases Spud as he runs up the ramp and drags him back to the ring. Spud attacked as Shera got back into the ring, they messed up an Irish whip counter and then Shera hit punches in the corner and danced with his balls in Spud’s face. Spud shoved the ref and then hit a low blow. He tried to work the leg, Shera shoved him away and hit some sloppy rights and then a slam. Spud fought off a powerbomb, slipped off of Shera and fell to the mat. Shera sat on him and won. That was the dirt fucking worst of professional wrestling."

Amh690D.gif

Don't you have when you've worked over the hotness enough to go to sleep but only to wake up, pee, then come and realize you have to work it over again to get back in the sweet spot so you can take it home to finally get the crowning victory?

Uhoh
http://nypost.com/2016/09/16/billy-corgan-in-talks-to-become-majority-owner-of-tna-wrestling/

WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group, owner of the Ring of Honor wrestling organization, are rumored to have made recent bids.

A complicated ownership structure also poses challenges in getting every stakeholder on the same page. In addition to majority owner and Chairwoman Dixie Carter, Corgan, Aroluxe Marketing and Canada’s Fight Network all have equity stakes.

Meanwhile, the Nashville, Tenn.-based company is so financially strapped that investor and working-capital provider Aroluxe has reportedly taken over its “TNA” (Total Nonstop Action) trademark.

Corgan says the relevant parties have agreed on a sale price. Although he can’t reveal the figure, an estimate based on publicly traded WWE’s market value of two times revenue would put it at around $40 million.

But!

Nobody is paying $40 million. Take one zero off

https://mobile.twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/777008569300324352?s=09

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TNA is probably still in the hole for a lot of dough.

I'd love the WWE to pick it up. Probably worth about that for the video catalog.

Exodust

Banned
The Rock (the movie) is 500% better than T2.

The Rock gets way more love than it ever deserved. It's exactly like any other Bay movie but it just so happened to be the one most watched as kids.

I love Sean Connery, but come on!

The first Bad Boys was his best movie.

Jamie OD

$4 million would still be almost as much as what WWE bought WCW for.

TNA has the international TV deals helping them bump up the price. WCW was so cheap because without their TV deal it had nothing more than a roster nobody cared for, a bunch of show names and a tape library.

The Rock gets way more love than it ever deserved. It's exactly like any other Bay movie but it just so happened to be the one most watched as kids.

I love Sean Connery, but come on!

The first Bad Boys was his best movie.
Nah, The Rock deserves it. It's the secret Aaron Sorkin rewrite that snags it.

RBH

tumblr_mbnc09ffVb1qg7etpo1_1280.jpg

Late wrestling LEGEND Dusty Rhodes' daughter-in-law, Brandi Rhodes, is gettin' involved in the family biz ... inking a deal to wrestle with TNA Impact Wrestling, sources tell TMZ Sports.

Brandi -- who's married to former WWE superstar Cody Rhodes -- has signed a deal to wrestle for TNA's Knockout Division a.k.a. super hot chicks who fight.
FYI -- Brandi was formerly a ring announcer (not a wrestler) for WWE ... before parting ways with the company earlier this year.

No word yet when Brandi will make her Impact debut.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/16/brandi-rhodes-dusty-rhodes-cody-rhodes-wwe-tna-impact-wrestling

Anth0ny

TNA is probably still in the hole for a lot of dough.

I'd love the WWE to pick it up. Probably worth about that for the video catalog.

100%. that's what I've always been saying.

At this point, they could probably put out an AJ Styles, Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe and Jeff Hardy DVD and make all of their money back.

somedevil

Meltzer just tweeted that WWE is interested in TNA for the tape library.

Here is the story about that from the Post:

http://nypost.com/2016/09/16/billy-corgan-in-talks-to-become-majority-owner-of-tna-wrestling/

Its also rumored Sinclair put a bid in. Right Impact is made up of majority owner and Chairwoman Dixie Carter, Corgan, Aroluxe Marketing and Canada’s Fight Network all have equity stakes.

Impact is so strapped for cash Aroluxe actually now owns the TNA trademark.

Also, the article guesses TNA sale value at 40 million.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Here is the story about that from the Post:

Its also rumored Sinclair put a bid in. Right Impact is made up of majority owner and Chairwoman Dixie Carter, Corgan, Aroluxe Marketing and Canada’s Fight Network all have equity stakes.

Impact is so strapped for cash Aroluxe actually now owns the TNA trademark.

Also, the article guesses TNA sale value at 40 million.

That's...generous for the actual value of TNA. Based on doubling TNA's supposed revenue of 20 million but without taking any of their debt in hand.

If it does sell the only reason it'll be worth anything around that is if Sinclair is also serious about picking it up.

Lothar

Banned
The Attitude Era really hasn't aged well. But then again it was a product of its time.

I think it aged really well because of how people cared and were enthusiastic about nearly every single person on the roster. It's just shocking to back and see someone like Scotty 2 Hotty get louder pops than anyone today. It had some bad stuff sure but that was bad back then too, nothing to do with age.

Zach

Right to Censor might be fine if it wasn't obviously just Vince McMahon railing against critics of wrestling's trashier elements.

somedevil

That's...generous for the actual value of TNA. Based on doubling TNA's supposed revenue of 20 million but without taking any of their debt in hand.

If it does sell the only reason it'll be worth anything around that is if Sinclair is also serious about picking it up.

40 is to high. More like 4 million.

If WWE buys TNA...what will become of Broken Matt and Nero? D:

Then the show on POP is no more though not sure Fight network would be on board with that idea since they air the show in Canada. I feel like whoever gets it will be the group that wants the show to keep airing.

I think it aged really well because of how people cared and were enthusiastic about nearly every single person on the roster. It's just shocking to back and see someone like Scotty 2 Hotty get louder pops than anyone today. It had some bad stuff sure but that was bad back then too, nothing to do with age.

I don't thnk it can be explained by anything other than wrestling, esp WWE, being at the height of pop culture then. So you had arenas filled with ALL kinds of people so there was someone for everyone.

The characters of Scotty 2 Hotty fit in perfectly for the time. Go back and watch some of the music videos going on. He fit them to a T

Top Bottom