• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooters with the best physics

I yearn for the days of shooters like Max Payne 3. It's my magnum opus for shooters. The reactivity and damage of enemies was like no other. Recently, on my new PC, I've been trying to experience games that I may have missed over the years. They're great for modding and making more more modern experiences. For example, I'm playing the STALKER series now and I really love how the shooting and responsiveness feels snappy, but well grounded. Half life 2 and Metro are other good examples.

Of course MP3 and STALKER are very different, but they both feel less 'arcadey' in the shooting and physics spectrum. There's weight to them. Was wondering if there were some good games along these lines to try. Both 1st and 3rd person recommendations are welcome

XXL

Max Payne 3 is top tier. I played it again last year, it's sooooo fucking good. It's better than most modern shooters and still looks pretty great too.

Highly recommend it on PC, the high frame does wonders for this game.

I got for around $6 on a Steam sale.

Last edited:
images

770365E1-4A88-4FB3-A065-FB0A2B401903.png

Timeshift, Far Cry 2, Painkiller, Trepang2, Red Faction Guerrilla and Armageddon, Prey 2017, anything by Avalanche... Obscure shooters like Ubersoldier had great physics in the 2000s.

Enemy reactions in Rage, Binary Domain and Doom Eternal are some of the best but they're not physics driven. Rage 2 traded beautiful id animation work for bonkers Avalanche physics and explosions.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Haven't seen the Red Dead Redemption games mentioned yet. Dunno if they're best classified as "shooters" but they have some fantastic body physics.

Haven't seen the Red Dead Redemption games mentioned yet. Dunno if they're best classified as "shooters" but they have some fantastic body physics.
Loved the first, but those controls for 2 were really lacking. Really perplexed me with RDR2 AND GTA V after coming from Max Payne 3 and GTA IV. Good rec though

No. PS3 only, which is pretty crazy because it's still looks pretty great.

With a resolution and frame rate bump this shit would look current gen in a lot of ways.

Agh I wish. I remember seeing that footage that was pretty advanced even for today. I want it on PC so mods can bring that to life 😭 Good lord stop Horizon and bring Killzone back!!!

makaveli60

With a resolution and frame rate bump this shit would look current gen in a lot of ways.

I played this game a lot but this video still surprised me how insanely good it looks even nowadays. KZ3 was a step back. And Shadow Fall…
KZ2 is really something else. It’s running on circa 20 years old tech.

Reactions: XXL

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Halo 2/3 actually did this really well on the Xbox.
They really had the sandbox aspect of those games down. Infinite has moments where it felt sorta close, but too often I find myself wondering around looking for something to do.

BlackTron

They really had the sandbox aspect of those games down. Infinite has moments where it felt sorta close, but too often I find myself wondering around looking for something to do.

The physics in Infinite aren't nearly as good so it's not worth trying to do all the tricks you could before. The despawn timer being way way too short also hurts immensely. Stuff just goes away too fast.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
HL2 physics always felt wonky too me. Guns and impact are too weightless.

Justin9mm

This one definitely deserves a remake/remaster into current gen.

Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom