• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shopping for a new printer can't possibly be this succ

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
I am proud of OP trying to fill GAF in on the beauty of succ

hqdefault.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Glad to see the Brother monochrome laser printer/scanner train is already at full speed. Those are indeed great reliable printers.

I bought mine a few months ago, and while I've barely used it so far, it seems sturdy and reliable. The one we have at work sure is.

I still don't understand the "succ" thing.

Also, fuck ink. I mean "fucc" amirite?

Symphonia

Banned
I'm in the "take my stuff to work to print off" camp. I made that decision after replacing ink cartridges on my Epson and then not printing anything for four years. In the garbage it went.
Some companies have a policy against printing personal documents.

Brother wireless printer for $99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRG01A4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
An awesome printer that's been terrific for me for over the past year.

We have the HL-L2360D version from Best Buy a little over a year ago. Works like a charm and took forever to go through the initial toner that was in the box. Having it wireless is so much nicer. We do a lot of black and white printing.

For color printing we still have an HP Photosmart 7760. It's before the time of chipped inked. So it will still accept old/expired ink. The old carts are also much larger than the carts today, so we hardly have to replace them. We're always finding sealed inks at the flea markets and thrift stores for a buck or two a piece. We just stock up on them, and have a bin of about 10+ color and black inks handy.

I'm sure the Brother will outlast the HP in the long run, but the HP is so easily found and replaceable. With all the inks we have, it's not worth it to upgrade to a different printer. It gets replaced about every 5 years or so. The last one we found on craigslist for like $30. The guy still had it in the box. He only got it because it came with a camera he bought but didn't need it.

New printers just suck. They all have chips to tell the level of the ink and the expiration date and give you hell if you don't have a new, full ink cart in. It won't even let you run out of ink anymore. It just stops working with like 10% of the ink left in it.

Since people are suggesting laser black and whites, can anyone link me to the third party toner/ink prices for the ones you use?

I wanna know how cheap they are.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Since people are suggesting laser black and whites, can anyone link me to the third party toner/ink prices for the ones you use?

I wanna know how cheap they are.
Just look at the printer you want and do an Amazon/eBay search for that printer model's toner. You'll usually find a few alternatives.

Mine go for about $20, which is good considering the amount of pages it can print.

Go on eBay and track down an old OKI c9650 - full colour, Sra3 print size (Will also print 1.2metres in length if you want it to) Plus it'll take compatible toner, even white toner (you chip it as black and the printer totally believes you). :D.

Probably overkill for most most mind. But laser is definitely the way to go. Less stress of dried ink and having to waste loads doing a head clean like with an inkjet.

Ah I remember this well. A printer is a useful thing to have but inkjets suck if you hardly ever do any printing. I lost count of how much money I have wasted in ink just cleaning the damn print heads because it has been months since I used the printer.

In the end I bought a colour Laser printer for around £80 (hard to believe a few years ago these things were £1,000 plus). I love my Dell 1350cnw printer (wirelesss). It sits in a cupboard out of the way and when I want to print something I just switch it on and it prints whatever I want in seconds. I have had this printer for several years and still on the original toners and they are still 90% full.

So like everyone says the solution to your printing needs is a laser printer. Obviously a laser will never be able to print photo's as well as an inkjet but you have to ask yourself how often you do that.

Mindlog

RBH is a good dude. Saw this earlier this morning.

I made the switch to laser a long time ago, but I still come into contact with inkjets. This is going to make a perfect gift and replace those last few POS.

However, now every ad I see is for that printer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom