• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shotos keeping me down

Mostly Ken and Ryu. Sean is a chump and falls quickly to the Masterful Q. And I tell ya, I had one hell of a match against a late game chun li last night. Best fight ive had in a fighter in years. Q is a badass, anyone who says otherwise is a dumb bastard. If you play him aggro he rocks, turtle q is suck.

Despite him being so awesome, ken and ryu just seem to dominate. tips? :(

Ferrio

Banned
Your stories of your triumphs over the CPU bore me sir. Though I am grateful at your attempts to stir 3rd strike conversations.

Ferrio

Banned
See if someone was trying to learn Makoto then I could fill this thread with nice tidbits until then have fun with your silly Q.

Ryu

Yang, Ryu, Ken, Hugo, and Dudley are my favorites. I only recently started to try out Yang and man, his speed is just awesome. His Tourouzan (QCF +P) is just an awesome move reminiscent of Fei Long's little three hit combo, but it's very awesome when you use it as an EX. On top of that, his teleport move is easy to do every now and then, but it can be easily stuffed so it's not necessarily a domination move by any stretch. His Raishin Mahaken super is just fucking cool when you land it and has a a near nil window of counter-attack if it is missed on a blocking opponent. Just having a blast learning him.

Though I am great with the shotos and reccomend Ken above them all (even though Ryu is my personal favorite -- he's definitely not for everyone), I have to give it up for Dudley. More people need to play Dudley. His speed and strength rival Akuma's and lots of his moves are easily comboable without taking the damage Akuma typically takes form even the most simplest of combos. His toward plus fierce punch is also a great keep away with plenty of distance (can hit and be blocked just outside of sweep range) and its high rate of damage just makes it so effective.

I really do love this game. I really can't wait to ditch these ps2 adapters on the DC and get the PS2 version. The release date just can't come soon enough.

AfroLuffy

During the first wave of third strike threads on this forum, all the AngryFace Q support led me to spend 7 hours learning him, his air combos, all that shit. Then I had my freind come over, laugh at Q, pick chunli, and kick the shit out of me multiple times. He thought it was pretty damn funny when i told him I was practicing all day ....

Really, i think chun is Q's worst match up; she has speed and priority, while Q has zero speed and zero priority. I was forced to turtle and then counterattack, but Q's moves come out so slow it didnt' matter half the time. His karathrow and subsequent follow up won me a few matches, but I really have trouble getting the throw to connect 90% of the time. Oh well. ;0

The fight I had with her I only won cause I parried her to open up some chances for xslaps and the II super. Isnt chun like a super high tier character and Q a super low tier character? It makes sense. Plus playing AI and playing people is really different. I just hope my single player helps me against Drinky Crow's Dudley.

his slap and dash punch moves when charged with ye ol super gauge are REALLY quick on startup and do some good damage, plus with the ubercharged dash punch thing you can bounce them off the wall and juggle them a little for extra effect. I actually rarely use Q's super art cause its meant for those obvious openings. I hear the first super art is better but it doesnt look badass so I wont use it. His medium kick in the air has good priority, and that falling sommersault kick you do with fierce kick in the air is sorta deceptive.

Basically my strat with Q is never back off, just string as many of his moves together as possible and go for cheap low kicks whenever you can to break stuff up.

My favorite fights tho have been Q vs Urien, they seem about even.

AfroLuffy

Yeah, learning to parry definately helps. It's challenging but not very cool when the only way to win is to parry, especially since my freind comes from non SF3 background and couldn't parry if his life depended on it, yet he just wails away effortlessly, while I have to try twice as hard just to get some hits in. In other words my win takes incredible amounts of finesse, his doesn't. Furthermore, I made him aware of this point, so now to annoy me, he always picks chun against my Q...the bastard. ;-0

What are some good Q combos?

I like jump in +fierce, forward, EX slap (looks awesome, good dmg).

I don' tknow any others outside of that, unless you count karathrow follow ups.

Oh! His SS1 super is great. You can super cancel his rush into it, he also ignores an opponent's attack and goes right to work. If you time it as they come at you with an air kick/attack, it'll glitch them to the ground and you'll get all the hits in. If you have the bar EX kick rush/dash canceled into SS1 is pretty good.

I dont parry well either, and im not a veteran Q player. Im learning like you. I do always prepare to parry at the beginning of a round, when landing from a jump, after failing to land a hit. I almost parried all of uriens super art the other night that was badass.

Like the other night I was fighting chun, match started we both did the jump forward, but I knew she would kick so I parried, then got my kick in, we landed and she kicked low and I parried and did a throw.

I cant parry on the fly, I can only anticipate common situations to parry. I suck like that.

AfroLuffy

I can only anticipate common situations to parry. I suck like that.

LOL, same with me.

Luckily, my freind's tactics are predictable, so i fair ok. I'd get eaten alive at tournament level, tho :(

Top Bottom