• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Chopper

Just got my first android device, the GS3, just wondering are most of you just using launchers or rooting the device?
I think most use launchers. It's totally risk-free and you can achieve more or less anything you want. Mostly.

My latest:

1kp8m.jpg

Swipe up:

tvhwD.jpg

Swipe in from the bottom left:

SaqHq.jpg

Double tap to open the app drawer. Touch the clock to set an alarm.

Pretty happy with it, although I'm always open minded to an alternative clock. mClock and UCCW are amazing, but they're a fucking minefield. I just settled for an skin from the Analog Clock Collection on the Play Store in the end.

Guys need some help

I downloaded the nova launcher and installed it and basically lost all my icons and widgets. its fucked.

How can i get my previous settings all back? like all my screens my icons and everything - i just want the phone to be as it was all stock 2 mins ago :(

Threi

notag
Does anyone know of a super minimal, grid style calendar widget? Like literally, a square with boxes for each day but pretty much no text or extra shit?

Mocked up an example to kinda show what i'm looking for. Needs to have transparent background options.

CkOYI.png
Try Android Pro Widgets. There is a skin for it exactly like what you are looking for, but it was a while ago and i have no idea where it is. Try searching for "APW Skins" on the play store or on XDA.

Guys need some help

I downloaded the nova launcher and installed it and basically lost all my icons and widgets. its fucked.

How can i get my previous settings all back? like all my screens my icons and everything - i just want the phone to be as it was all stock 2 mins ago :(
All your widgets are on your stock launcher. When you install a new launcher its like installing a new browser on your PC, all the stuff you had on the old one won't be there unless you go back to it or "import" it (Nova Settings > Backup and Import > Import)

jokkir

Guys need some help

Go to Application settings > Nova Launcher > clear defaults. Hit the home button and choose the stock launcher (not nova). It should be back to normal. Or you could just uninstall Nova Launcher.

Chopper

Guys need some help

As well as what these guys have said, download an app called Home Switcher. It allows you to flick between launchers easily.

Cipherr

Guys need some help

Haha, they aren't gone, just hidden. A new launch is like a new desktop. The old stuff is still there just not visible. It is frightening at first though, I had that same reaction. "WHERES MY STUFF!!" lol.

Posters above gave the instructions, when you return it to the stock launcher, all will be exactly as it was before. Later on down the line, experiment with it again. Once you start to toy with the settings you will like it alot. Its just jarring at first.

squared

It's just Apex Launcher and Minimalistic Text widget for the clock and date/weather. Hidden statusbar with Apex, and is set up to show by just sliding up or down on the home screen.

With statusbar visible, it looks like this (in case I "need" it :)

2ihx9.jpg

jokkir

I was thinking of doing a white prominent homescreen too but I was more concerned about my battery life with AMOLED on a white background

Sora_N

I had my phone for two years, never bothered to customize. Maybe I should try now lol.

It's a HTC Desire Z though, pretty old.

EDIT: What's a recommended launcher for my phone? I looked several pages back, says Apex is good for ICS only. I believe my phone is only 2.3.

I had my phone for two years, never bothered to customize. Maybe I should try now lol.

It's a HTC Desire Z though, pretty old.

EDIT: What's a recommended launcher for my phone? I looked several pages back, says Apex is good for ICS only. I believe my phone is only 2.3.

it sounds like you need to flash a custom rom first, maybe Cyanogenmod

jokkir

Sorry I'm noob, but is that the same as rooting or no? I have not rooted my phone so it's still stock.

I'll probably back up my phone tonight before I do anything though.

Rooting is pretty much giving you admin privileges on your phone. Hence "root" (root access on Linux is kind of like an admin account but more powerful IIRC).

So you need to do that before flashing a ROM. Flashing a ROM is kind of like putting a new firmware over your old one so not the same thing. You need to root to flash firmware :p

Sora_N

Rooting is pretty much giving you admin privileges on your phone. Hence "root" (root access on Linux is kind of like an admin account but more powerful IIRC).

So you need to do that before flashing a ROM. Flashing a ROM is kind of like putting a new firmware over your old one so not the same thing. You need to root to flash firmware :p

Great, thanks! :)

abunai

I'd like the icons :D

I like the clock in the lockscreen when the first number isn't bolded. Anyway to get this in 4.1?

I found the Icons, so here's the whole pack. I just changed the opacity to 75% in photoshop to get them the same as in the screenshot.

I thought the clock with the bold hour was an addition to 4.2? I was out of the android loop for a while so I'm not too sure. The clock I linked is a widget so you could use it in conjunction with WidgetLocker (but I still find that app a bit janky). If you have root you could pull the system font for the clock with adb
adb pull ~/system/fonts/Clockopia.ttf

then push your font (renamed to Clockopia.ttf) to the same directory.

That may or may not work, like I said, it's been a while so I'm unsure. I'll check in the morning, but I have to go for now.

Threi

notag
That is why i say the clock in 4.2 isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Install HD widgets or minimalistic text, and you can make the lockscreen whatever you want with any font you want.

It's just Apex Launcher and Minimalistic Text widget for the clock and date/weather. Hidden statusbar with Apex, and is set up to show by just sliding up or down on the home screen.

With statusbar visible, it looks like this (in case I "need" it :)

2ihx9.jpg

Looks awesome. I will have to rip this off a bit (but modify it to make it "mine").

Question: I am running stock on a Galaxy Nexus. Do I still need to root in order to change the lockscreen and homescreen to look like this, or can I just use a new launcher?

Looks awesome. I will have to rip this off a bit (but modify it to make it "mine").

Question: I am running stock on a Galaxy Nexus. Do I still need to root in order to change the lockscreen and homescreen to look like this, or can I just use a new launcher?

Nope, just use a new launcher and widget locker for the lockscreen

Got a Nexus 7 32GB yesterday as an early birthday present for myself. My first Android device. =)
Spent my lunch break playing customising widgets. Looks "all over the shop", but I'm quite happy with it apart from the crappy Facebook widget (suggestions?). I'll probably look into rooting and launchers down the track, but this'll do me in the meantime.

Here's my lockscreen. Couldn't work out how to screenshot it so I put it on to an open space and cropped it. Background has since changed to match the screens above.

Cipherr

Got a Nexus 7 32GB yesterday as an early birthday present for myself. My first Android device. =)
Spent my lunch break playing customising widgets. Looks "all over the shop", but I'm quite happy with it apart from the crappy Facebook widget (suggestions?). I'll probably look into rooting and launchers down the track, but this'll do me in the meantime.

Here's my lockscreen. Couldn't work out how to screenshot it so I put it on to an open space and cropped it. Background has since changed to match the screens above.

Goddamn man... for a mere lunch break on your first day of ownership of a device running an OS you aren't familiar with, thats pretty damn spiffy looking.

WascallyWabbit said:
^ Source for all that cool stuff?

Used Zooper Widget Pro for the time, dates and labels. Falcon for Twitter for the Twitter widget. Everything else are the stock widgets that came with the tablet (except for Facebook and Flipboard)

Cipherr said:
Goddamn man... for a mere lunch break on your first day of ownership of a device running an OS you aren't familiar with, thats pretty damn spiffy looking.

Heh, well my GF has had an S3 since launch, so I've gotten quite familiar with the OS and it helped that I had all the widgets installed on to the tablet. Was just a matter of customising it and placing them where I wanted it.

A bit more tinkering around this evening...

I used the Nexus contact widget as a bookmark of sorts to direct me to my most used websites.

LogicStep

So what do you guys use? Themes? A combination of icon packs and widgets? I downloaded Apex and Nova but I don't know what to do from here.

My first attempt...

Screenshot_2012-11-29-14-37-00.png

Anyone know how to change the dock? I'm using Nova Launcher.

I like the theme but the clock is ugly. I'd get rid of the text under the app shortcuts and get rid of the notification bar as the green and turquoise really throw off your black & white colour scheme. Since you are using Nova, you can map it so that pressing the home button when you're on one of your launcher pages toggles the notification bar. Not sure what you mean about changing the dock.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Pretty happy with it, although I'm always open minded to an alternative clock. mClock and UCCW are amazing, but they're a fucking minefield. I just settled for an skin from the Analog Clock Collection on the Play Store in the end.
How does someone ascertain such a sick set up

maliedoo

This is mine, pretty basic. (Rooted Spectrum 2)
Apex Launcher
Minimalistic Text Widgets
Regular Shortcuts with Minimal Apex Theme Icons
Hidden Notification Bar (Apex)
Hidden Dock (Apex)

rdVN9.jpg

Here's my first stab at a design for my Nexus 4. (Note that I still have the status bar, but I accidentally chopped it off the screenshot and I didn't feel like recropping it.

FDkgR.png

Nova Launcher
MetroStation icons (except for the news icon, which I had to custom make)
Stock analog clock
Nifty Nexus 4 live wallpaper I found in this XDA thread. (It actually changes depending on the brightness/movement. It works okay, but the guy says it's a work in progress. I might switch to a static wallpaper if I end up not liking it.)

I'm debating whether or not to add a Minimalistic Text date/time widget. I kind of like the text-free look on the home screen.

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
I'm looking for a way to have an expandable dock, so that I can for example swipe up on the dock and it will expand it from one row of dock icons to more.

This is probably really easy but I can't find any way to do it or other nova or apex launcher.

Daigoro

I'm looking for a way to have an expandable dock, so that I can for example swipe up on the dock and it will expand it from one row of dock icons to more.

This is probably really easy but I can't find any way to do it or other nova or apex launcher.

Holo Launcher has 3 pages for the dock that you can swipe left or right to access. 3 pages and it looks like you can have 9 slots per page.

Top Bottom