• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shrek 2 Passes Finding Nemo In Box Office Gross, now highest grossing animated movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/ch...id=vs-shrek.htm

As of yesterday, Shrek was at an estimated $337,661,000

Finding Nemo's total gross was $339,714,978...

it only need to make $2 million today (Saturday June 12th 2004) to catch it, but it'll make way more than that...

In fact, Shrek 2 is going to make more than The Passion (making it #1 movie for 2004), The Return of the King, and probably Spiderman, and maybe even The Phantom Menace...

quite a feat...

GO DREAMWORKS!

olimario

Banned
The cool thing is people will still want to watch Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc in 20 years.
No one will want to touch Shrek or Shrek 2 then.

teiresias

I absolutely loathed the first Shrek, so I was surprised to find I actually liked Shrek 2. It has more heart to it and is funnier, but it's still an "easy" film in terms of how it goes about its humor. In that sense I find Pixar's work to be vastly superior - of course, the general public laps up pop-culture jokes by the bucket loads, so it doesn't surprise me.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Finding Nemo was one of the most irritating, predictable movies I've ever seen, and I will be ecstatic if Shrek 2 passes it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it beats Ellen Degeneres shrieking in my ear for an hour and a half.

human5892 said:
Finding Nemo was one of the most irritating, predictable movies I've ever seen, and I will be ecstatic if Shrek 2 passes it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it beats Ellen Degeneres shrieking in my ear for an hour and a half.

I thought Finding Nemo was overrated too.

Timbuktu

what, you don't have Starbucks in HK?

I'm not saying it's not funny at all, just that it's not doing well in the boxoffice. The dubbing might be the problem, but if anything, the public taste here is even worst, The Day After Tomorrow is beating Shrek 2 by a mile.

To be honest, I really hope Shrek 3 or 4 flops.

MIMIC

Banned
I finally saw "Finding Nemo" on Starz a few days ago and I also thought it was overrated. Still, it's a great movie.

andthebeatgoeson

Can someone list all the things they hated about Shrek 1?

I thought it was a great movie and apparently, I missed the email where I was supposed to hate it. What was soo bad about it? I liked the story, it had great humor, the art was good enough, acting was good.

Finding Nemo was good but is a lil overrated on this board. Alladin...now that is a movie of gods. Why the fuck can't I find the DVD to Alladin?

FoneBone

olimario said:
The cool thing is people will still want to watch Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc in 20 years.
No one will want to touch Shrek or Shrek 2 then.
Wow... for once, I agree with Oli.

skinnyrattler said:
Finding Nemo was good but is a lil overrated on this board. Alladin...now that is a movie of gods. Why the fuck can't I find the DVD to Alladin?
Because you can't spell "Aladdin"? Sorry.

Meier

As much as I love Pixar, I think it was better than Finding Nemo. Maybe not better, but certainly much more enjoyable/humorous.

It's definitely going to past Spider-Man and at this pace, might even surpass The Phantom Menace.

Pachinko

Shrek and Shrek 2 are funny guilty pleasures. They aren't really rewatchable at all though, if you didn't see them when they came out a couple of times you likely won't be able to watch then 3 years down the road and enjoy them.

Pixar films on the other hand use such timeless (and well cliched) storytelling methods that they'll always be watchable. I find each pixar film to be slightly better then the last..

Until finding nemo, while I enjoyed it , I actually prefered the characters and world of monsters Inc. The incredibles looks great.

human5892 said:
Finding Nemo was one of the most irritating, predictable I've ever seen, and I will be ecstatic if Shrek 2 passes it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it beats Ellen Degeneres shrieking in my ear for an hour and a half.
Couldn't agree more. There was NOTHING special about Finding Nemo that differentiated itself from every other Pixar "save our friend!" movie. Never understood all the love this movie got...

MIMIC

Banned
Prince of Space said:
Couldn't agree more. There was NOTHING special about Finding Nemo that differentiated itself from every other Pixar "save our friend!" movie. Never understood all the love this movie got...

Cuteness is irresistible. :)

Memles

Finding Nemo is the better film.

Shrek 2 is funnier on the whole.

Nemo has a story.

Shrek 2...not as much so.

Nemo has character development.

Shrek 2...not as much so.

I throoughly enjoyed both, but I don't think Shrek 2 is that great a film, just a string of funny gags. Shrek was the same, for the most part. They never let a joke or story play out.

Nemo> Shrek> Shrek 2 in terms of filmmaking.

Shrek 2> Shrek> Nemo in terms of bringing the funny.

andthebeatgoeson

Besides comparisons, can anybody tell me why they didn't like Shrek 1? Comparisons are lazy. Let Shrek 1 stand on it's on. Or fail on it's on. I see a ton of people bash it but never really give reasons.

Shinobi

skinnyrattler said:

Cause it isn't out till October, heh. Expect the works with this release, ala The Lion King.

skinnyrattler said:
Besides comparisons, can anybody tell me why they didn't like Shrek 1? Comparisons are lazy. Let Shrek 1 stand on it's on. Or fail on it's on. I see a ton of people bash it but never really give reasons.

Happens all the time on this board...

It's always amusing seeing people get riled up because a movie they didn't like is busting heads at the box office. Who gives a shit?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I think that the Pixar movies after A Bug's life have, been just ok.<<<

Please. A Bug's Life was Pixar's weakest effort to date. They called it an animated Seven Samurai, but it was closer to a rip-off of the comedic Seven Samurai rip, The Three Amigos.

robochimp

Idle Will Kill said:
Once again proving that the general public has bad taste. Pixar's movies are so vastly superior to the Shrek franchise.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. go back and look at Nemo's gross

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Why the fuck can't I find the DVD to Alladin?

Cause it isn't out till October, heh. Expect the works with this release, ala The Lion King.<<<<

Oh, man, that reminds me. Morning Report was infinitely worse than the original version of that scene. Thank God they had an option to watch the theatrical version on there.

Pachinko

Nothing is particularly wrong with Shrek 1, It's mostly just that its haters refuse to coform with "idiot masses" and enjoy it. In other words it's hated becuase it's popular.

That is why it's so hard for people to defend why they dislike it, becuase similar CG movies from Pixar are usually unanimously loved. If you wanted to nitpick, shrek is mostly pop culture fluff , quite like watching an episode of simpsons, there is a story and characters but they exist primarily to make more jokes. Pixar films try and have plot development though they usually revolve around rescueing someone or something ...

=W=

Toy Story 1 > Toy Story 2 >>>>>>>> Monsters, Inc > Finding Nemo > A Bug's Life >>>>>>>> Shrek 1 > Ice Age

Haven't seen Shrek 2, since I thought Shrek 1 was entirely mediocre. I'll wait for a rental.

neptunes

perso_accueil.jpg

"NOT ON MY WATCH!!"

Mustang

Banned
The Incredibles may not take in the boatload of cash that Shrek 2 has but it will be a superior movie.

Mediocrity>excellence at the boxoffice I guess.

:|

cvxfreak

OT, but how did Titanic do in the box office all those years ago? It seemed really popular back then and no movie today except Passion seems to match the hype back then...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This thread depresses me.

I find it difficult to believe that Shrek 2 has made that much money. It didn't really feel like there was much word of mouth or any real buzz or anything. Strange.

Shinobi

tracky_dacks said:
Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time. According to IMDB: US$600,779,824 in the US; US$1,835,300,000 worldwide.

Heh, the gold standard...it's my belief that the 600 million figure won't be touched for at least ten years, and the 1.8 billion figure might never be equaled. Funny thing is that nobody even cares about the movie now.

skinnyrattler said:
Can someone list all the things they hated about Shrek 1?

I thought it was a great movie and apparently, I missed the email where I was supposed to hate it. What was soo bad about it? I liked the story, it had great humor, the art was good enough, acting was good.

Yeah I don't understand the Shrek 1 hate either. I'm a huge fan of Pixar's films but I really enjoyed Shrek 1. I didn't think much of either a Bug's Life or Antz though.

I also though Finding Nemo was a bit overrated. The best characters in the movie were the seagulls though! (as you can see from my Avatar)

Memles

My view on Shrek?

A film that relied too much on pop culture to run the second half of its plot, and never really got as far as I would have liked. It was funny, no doubt, and had some awesome moments, but I felt Farquad ended up wasted when it comes to possibilities for the character, and on the whole I think it fell short of being an awesome movie.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Shinobi said:
Heh, the gold standard...it's my belief that the 600 million figure won't be touched for at least ten years, and the 1.8 billion figure might never be equaled. Funny thing is that nobody even cares about the movie now.

And its opening weekend was only 30 million

I think Pixar movies are overrated. Too many of them are same old, same old mismatched buddy movies. I'm looking forward to the Incredibles since it looks like something different from them. I liked Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo, but the rest of their work is a little blah.

As for the Shreks? Mainstream Fluff, but fun fluff.

Seth C

skinnyrattler said:

It's not out yet. The Special Edition DVD is coming in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom