• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Silent Hill 2 remake is like fresh paint' Bloober 3.0

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

For years, the Silent Hill franchise has withered while developer Konami made imprudent efforts to dump the legendary horror IP into bad movie schlock and slot machines. So, fans treated the announcement that Polish studio Bloober Team would helm a remake of 2001’s franchise peak Silent Hill 2 with the sputtering disbelief. Bloober? The horror studio notorious for its lackluster interpretation of mental illness in games, remaking one of the most legendary psychological horror games of all time? The company’s CEO and creative lead Piotr Babieno tells Rolling Stone he’s heard the criticism, and he’s acquainted with the trouble it takes to reimagine a game fans say is untouchable.

23 years since its initial release, Silent Hill 2 continues to be inextricable from both its effectively dated video game visuals, like levels filled with fog clouds as thick as butter, and the more intangible ability to induce claustrophobia. It is a monumental horror game, and developers still try to emulate it in popular horror titles like this year’s Crow Country. Fans, too, revere Silent Hill 2 like it’s a beloved family member, and have remained heavily skeptical since the remake was announced back in 2022.

But Bloober seems to understand that, instead of trying to surpass impossible expectations, it’s more efficient to access the mood that helped set them. Babieno wouldn’t necessarily call his team’s game a remake, but a “romantic vision of the game from more than 20 years ago.” This nostalgic approach could be especially beneficial for publisher Konami, whose unsatisfying new Silent Hill installments like the free-to-play 2024 first-person horror title The Short Message has left some fans discouraged. But, in its interpretation of Silent Hill 2, Bloober offers melancholy hope.

Babieno is quick to mention that the Silent Hill 2 remake is like fresh paint for Bloober as developers. Until now, the studio has been tied to strained psychological horror and slow-paced environmental storytelling. You’ll find evidence of these things in the studio’s landmark games like 2016’s Layers of Fear and 2021’s The Medium. But Babieno says Bloober is already approaching their games, including the mysterious new IP codenamed “Project C,” differently.

“Internally, we are calling this ‘Bloober Team 3.0,'” he says. “I believe that Bloober today is a completely different team than three years ago.” He notes that, when Bloober began working on Layers of Fear, the game that helped establish them as a studio, its team was made up of around 10 people. In 2024, Bloober has over 250 people on its staff.

This expanded version of Bloober will continue to prioritize horror games — Babieno says horror is part of the studio’s “DNA.” But Bloober wants its games to start communicating through action.

In this sense, Babieno says that Bloober’s Silent Hill 2 will function as “a culmination of my work, but, at the same time, a gateway to the new.”

“Life is too short, and [the process of] creating games, I would say, is too long to make games that don’t feel significant,” Babieno says. “We want to create games that we would like to play ourselves, and games that will be very important to our audience.”

Bloober hasn’t had an easy metamorphosis. It’s been facing the challenge every studio encounters when trying to innovate a beloved franchise: competing with fans’ sugary memories.
“Let’s say [development has been] a daunting journey balancing preservation and innovation,” Babieno says.

He knows fans have been scrutinizing every trailer, rumor, and move that Bloober makes, but he suggests the remake’s success is an emotional problem for him, too. Babieno still remembers his first experience with Silent Hill 2 — watching his brother play it — and how the game completely obliterated his concept of horror games.

Back then, “I read a lot of books from Stephen King, from Doestoyevsky […], I watched a lot of movies by Lynch, Fincher, Kieślowski,” Babieno says, but “games weren’t the medium that made me feel like you could go very deep into someone’s psychology.” That was before he witnessed Silent Hill 2. He was fascinated by the game’s symbolism, things like the dense fog that blurs the boundaries between Hell and reality, and “basically, it’s changed my life,” Babieno says.

“Despite technological progress [in video games],” he continues, “so many of us remember [visiting] the town of Silent Hill as one of the most important points in our lives.” Bloober takes pride in having had an open dialogue with Silent Hill 2‘s original creators at Konami throughout the remake’s creation.

“Because of those conversations,” says Babieno, “we found a great balance of what we and our partner had in mind. It took us a long time to get there, with a lot of creative discussions and hard work, but we are very happy with the result.”

Just as its developers’ expectations had to shift throughout the Silent Hill 2 remake’s development, Bloober asks that you hold your judgment until you play their game.

“I am dreaming that gamers will trust us,” Babieno says, “but I realize that trust is earned through actions, not through words. So that’s why we have a policy of not commenting [on the specifics of the game] and raising hopes. We want to show our ambitions through our work, so we can’t ask for anything more than ‘give us a chance.'”

Anyway, Babieno appreciates fans’ constructive criticism, which he says has so far been “invaluable in refining our project before its release.” Though, Babieno also stresses that Bloober prioritizes a supportive work environment where designers can focus “on their creative work with peace of mind,” which requires shutting their ears to gamers’ voices sometimes.

“We tried to make all possible fans happy, but, at the same time, be very faithful to ourselves,” Babieno says. Ultimately, fans might not anticipate every change Bloober decided to implement in its remake, but Babieno says “I really hope that when people play for the first time, they will understand that the choices we made were the best possible.”

With the Silent Hill 2 remake on track for its October 8 release on PS5 and PC, Bloober is shifting its attention elsewhere. At the moment, the studio is working on a new survival horror IP it’s only referring to as “Project C.” A Bloober PR representative tells me that, since May, when publisher Private Division canceled its production agreement, “we are continuing on our own. It’s a much bigger game in terms of gameplay, action than our previous games that were focusing more on narrative and environment.”

Babieno can’t elaborate on this much, but he suggests Project C will showcase what Bloober wants to do differently.

“It will show how much we’ve learned over the years,” he says. Bloober is quivering with momentum. “I think that, right now, we know exactly where we are going.”

Badlucktroll Badlucktroll Only 2 months left brother

bender

What time is it?
la-noire-cole-phelps.gif

Bloober hasn’t had an easy metamorphosis. It’s been facing the challenge every studio encounters when trying to innovate a beloved franchise: competing with fans’ sugary memories. “Let’s say [development has been] a daunting journey balancing preservation and innovation,” Babieno says...

um, what part of 'remake' don't you get? the game's always been more than 'innovative' enough as is. see shadow of the colossus & demon's souls for further details...

BryceNobody

It doesn't matter how many coats of paint you put on a turd, a turd is a turd.
Maybe you could, I don’t know, play it first?

The extended gameplay demo looked much better than any of the trailers. Game could certainly suck but acting like it’s DoA is a little much.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Cutscenes aside, the gameplay actually looked pretty good. The atmosphere was there with obviously massive graphics update. I am ok with that and some added QoL optimizations.

Mr Moose

I'm going to wait for reviews and stuff... It's Bloober.
Edit: How the fuck do you say that name?

Last edited:

Kazdi

Neo Member
Gameplay tha was shown last time looked great. Just as he says I will hold my judgment until I play their game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Maybe you could, I don’t know, play it first?

Considering many of us have actually played their past turd games, is it really a surprise that people think there's a high risk for another one..

Anyway, I have it wishlisted just in case. SH was among my favorite games at the time.

Last edited:
Everything he said was the equivalent of those metal band album-preview videos, where they say stuff like "For this album, we really challenged ourselves to make our heaviest record yet. We know our last album was somewhat underwhelming, and we plan to vastly surpass it.
Making an album that speaks to the expectations of our fans, but at the same time goes against them. It is truly us, but also a gateway for a new audience".

I'm really not trying to be mean, at all.
Is just annoying how I got nothing from what he said.
But It might be just me.

I don't want this Remake to fail. But everything about it screams mediocrity.

I salute your optimism but it's no secret Bloober's track record is overwhelmingly mediocre at best. I understand Silent Hill fans need a win for the first time in 15 years and so do I, but let's not pretend they're not a super mid developer.
I saw people's responses to your comment, and this is exactly what was going through my mind.

I feel like some Silent Hill fans either have very low standards, for no reason at all, or are desperately trying to have faith in something Silent Hill finally hitting.

I 100% understand the latter, but not the former.
But who knows, maybe this time they will deliver.
Dude, I genuinely look forward to the comments on here making fun of the people that were skeptical.

I want to be laughed at. Genuinely. I don't want to be right.
I'm not a huge Silent Hill fan, but I support the fanbase, I want them to be happy.

Everything he said was the equivalent of those metal band album-preview videos, where they say stuff like "For this album, we really challenged ourselves to make our heaviest record yet. We know our last album was somewhat underwhelming, and we plan to vastly surpass it.
Making an album that speaks to the expectations of our fans, but at the same time goes against them. It is truly us, but also a gateway for a new audience".

I'm really not trying to be mean, at all.
Is just annoying how I got nothing from what he said.
But It might be just me.

I don't want this Remake to fail. But everything about it screams mediocrity.
"We're going back to the roots on this one but with better sound."

Every washed-up Metal band hyping their latest overproduced cheese fest in a string of albums nobody wanted to hear.

Last edited:
I’m totally oblivious to the hate bloober gets, and i bet they totally make an original silent hill after this. if i were them i would make a direct sequel with adult laura coming back, or the scrapped “fear in daylight” concept for team silent’s silent hill 5 which yamaoka called the darkest story they have come up with, with the game starting in broad daylight then getting darker and scarier as the world rots away

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be hard to top the original. So much of SH2 is reliant on things that may or may not have even been intentional. A good deal of the creepiness and unease are, I feel, a result of the peculiar voice work and visuals that perfectly capture the uncanny valley. While I don't think SH2 was some fluke or accidental masterpiece, I also don't think it came out exactly as they intended. It's going to be tough to recapture the perfect storm of wonderous craft and intangible jank that just happened to all hit exactly the right marks.

I wish them luck, though.

I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be hard to top the original. So much of SH2 is reliant on things that may or may not have even been intentional. A good deal of the creepiness and unease are, I feel, a result of the peculiar voice work and visuals that perfectly capture the uncanny valley. While I don't think SH2 was some fluke or accidental masterpiece, I also don't think it came out exactly as they intended. It's going to be tough to recapture the perfect storm of wonderous craft and intangible jank that just happened to all hit exactly the right marks.

I wish them luck, though.
you said a mouthful. & it's something that's true of many classics, old & new. lightning in a bottle...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like how many people are like "how do u know, you haven't even played it", as though it's impossible to surmise that the game could be bad with everything that's out there about it already.

Use your fucking heads.

Not really related but I just started replaying Silent Hill with CRT Royale and everything yesterday and holy shit, this game has not lost any of its bite. I haven't played the first one in many, many years and I actually had to turn it off at one point in the hospital. It's like an assault of claustrophobic nightmare fuel. I saved, went to go back down into the basement and the camera angle and music hit such a new height of evil, I didn't even open the door at the bottom of the stairs and ESC'd the fuck out of the game. Well played, Team Silent. I can't even tell you when the last time a Horror game did something even close to this to me was.

kunonabi

How people are giving them the benefit of the doubt is truly incredulous considering their recent output. Do they magically become Naughty Dog just just because they took in a "niche" franchise.
Putting the silent hill name on something is enough for some people to love it unconditionally. Which is just one of the many reasons we're never getting another good SH title.

I salute your optimism but it's no secret Bloober's track record is overwhelmingly mediocre at best. I understand Silent Hill fans need a win for the first time in 15 years and so do I, but let's not pretend they're not a super mid developer.

They are copy/pasting an existing game just like Bluepoint does. Theres not much room to fuck up, only thing people dislike is a fresh look of some characters but graphics-wise, the atmosphere etc looks great. If they were making their own SH Id be more sceptical but they arent, they are doing an almost 1:1.

I feel like Bloober's biggest issue is that they seem to be incapable of controlling themselves when it comes to melodrama and dialogue.

The Medium has some great things going for it but my Lord, the writing was effing awful. I always describe it as the equivalent of a NPR podcast. I kept waiting for my head to explode like in Scanners.

Since someone already took a 2x4 w/ nail to the hornet's nest, I'll chime in and agree to an extent; I do not enjoy playing SH2, I'd rather watch someone play it in a non-speed run manner because the game bores me to tears when it comes to gameplay. Especially the latter third. I played through it last year and kept saying to myself, "it's still going!?!?!? when the hell is this game going to end?? how can you sit there and eat PIZZA!?"

I will play the remake but I'm not expecting much, I think Bloober is gonna lean in too hard with the melodrama and I'll find it as irritating as The Medium.

They are copy/pasting an existing game just like Bluepoint does. Theres not much room to fuck up, only thing people dislike is a fresh look of some characters but graphics-wise, the atmosphere etc looks great. If they were making their own SH Id be more sceptical but they arent, they are doing an almost 1:1.
if they're simply copy/pasting, why so much talk about 'innovating'? let me ask you: were you copy/pasting stuff, would you tell anyone asking you what you're up to that you were 'innovating'?...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bloober games consistently get about 70 MC ratings. Some higher, some lower.

This time it's a gift as they already got the source material to work off, which got solid ratings back in the day (89/100 on PS2).

So just got to improve and modernize it and it should be a slam dunk.

Denton

Well I finished Observer, Blair Witch and Medium and all three were pretty good. Not amazing, but enjoyable enough. Their biggest weakness was writing, and hopefully they will just follow SH2 script on that.
The latest gameplay showcase from SH2 looks great imho.

bender

What time is it?
Same.

I hope its great but...I worry on this one.

I went from day 1 to....we'll see.

I'm pretty sure I'm day one and also pretty sure I'm going to hate it given modern Konami's track record and Bloopers output. In an alternative reality Konami would have invested all the various Silent Hill projects and convinced Sony/Bluepoint to do the remake. Of course something similar could be said for the HD Collection and Bluepoint.

Putting the silent hill name on something is enough for some people to love it unconditionally. Which is just one of the many reasons we're never getting another good SH title.
For_me_its_always_been_like_this.jpg. The thirst is real but let's manage expectations, if they even make so much as a competent remake I would be actually shocked.

Top Bottom