• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIlent Hill 2 Remake | Review Thread

What scores do you think Silent Hill 2 Remake will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 56-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bro you are silly. I have a $4000 rig and I cannot run native 4k 120.
Who plays with blurry TAA native in 2024? I guess only AMD folks since they cannot use DLSS or DLDSR. TAA native often looks worse than DLSS quality, and if you use "DLSS balance" in conjunction with DLDSRx2.25 the TAA native you always get far superior image at no performance cost (because DLSS balance cancel DLDSR cost). If the game has good implementation of DLSS, even "DLSS ultra performance" in conjunction with DLDSRx2.25 provide sharper and more detailed image with 2x performance boost.

DLSS FG is also a great way to increase (perceptable) performance and smoothness. Unlike FSR FG, it works great even at 40fps base and has no judder, so you always get smooth motion quality.

No PC will currently run an Unreal Engine 5 game at 4K TAA native and 120fps (and I doubt even the RTX5090 will run it), but with the help of AI (DLSS Quality + DLSS FG), UE5 games can be run at smooth 100-120fps.

Hellblade2-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-02-03-23-56-366.jpg

Hellblade2-Win64-Shipping-2024-09-02-03-03-45-853.jpg

Some people might say it's not real fps and not real pixels, but I don't care if my eyes are convinced I'm playing at real 4K and 100-120fps.

kAZ9qYp.jpeg

However, the SH2 remake will use HW RT, so I guess the game will be way more demanding compared to standard UE5 games like Hellblade 2. "The casting of Frank Stone" use both UE5 and HW RT and I had 80-100fps even with DLSS Q + FG. The game was still a joy to play though at these settings.

DLSS Q + FG

DLSS-Q-FG.jpg

I had to use DLSS performance (upscaling from 1080p) + FG to get around 120fps in this game.

DLSS-P-FG.jpg

I hope SH2 will run comparable to Frank Stone. 4K performance still looks amazing on my 1440p monitor (I'm using DLDSR downsampling).

Last edited:
Who plays with blurry TAA native in 2024? I guess only AMD folks since they cannot use DLSS or DLDSR. TAA native often looks worse than DLSS quality, and if you use "DLSS balance" in conjunction with DLDSRx2.25 the TAA native you always get far superior image at no performance cost (because DLSS balance cancel DLDSR cost). If the game has good implementation of DLSS, even "DLSS ultra performance" in conjunction with DLDSRx2.25 provide sharper and more detailed image with 2x performance boost.

DLSS FG is also a great way to increase (perceptable) performance and smoothness. Unlike FSR FG, it works great even at 40fps base and has no judder, so you always get smooth motion quality.

No PC will currently run an Unreal Engine 5 game at 4K TAA native and 120fps (and I doubt even the RTX5090 will run it), but with the help of AI (DLSS Quality + DLSS FG), UE5 games can be run at smooth 100-120fps.

Some people might say it's not real fps and not real pixels, but I don't care if my eyes are convinced I'm playing at real 4K and 100-120fps.

kAZ9qYp.jpeg

However, the SH2 remake will use HW RT, so I guess the game will be way more demanding compared to standard UE5 games like Hellblade 2. "The casting of Frank Stone" use both UE5 and HW RT and I had 80-100fps even with DLSS Q + FG. The game was still a joy to play though at these settings.

DLSS Q + FG

DLSS-Q-FG.jpg

I had to use DLSS performance (upscaling from 1080p) + FG to get around 120fps in this game.

DLSS-P-FG.jpg

I hope SH2 will run comparable to Frank Stone. 4K performance still looks amazing on my 1440p monitor (I'm using DLDSR downsampling).
I agree with what you posted and never suggested that DLSS wasn't the best way to achieve 4k 120. I was just pointing out that to expect native 4k 120 was nieve and used my rig as an example (13900k/4090)

Astray

NGL, Hellblade 2 looks insanely beautiful and I'm waiting for it to go on sale in Steam so I can enjoy the visuals on my rig.

Thank you for the information.

I just rushed through Until Dawn—long night, but an absolute masterpiece.

Tomorrow, I'll start this in Quality mode. These are my last OG PS5 games, as the console is headed straight to the garbage bin.

All future playthroughs will be on the PlayStation 5 Pro.

I don't think SH2 remake even has a Pro patch coming .. or at least it's not listed as having Pro support on the Sony store...

Thief1987

Don't think he hates PlayStation, he's not a fan of consoles in general. When you've been spoiled with highest tier hardware like he has for many years who can really blame him.
Nah, you will never find him being upset about xbox or nintendo. He is also shilling pretty hard for microsoft on that purple asylum forum. So no it's not about consoles.

Last edited:
here’s the definition Google gave me:

Silent Hill 2 has a very good OST. I’m not good at explaining music. This OST is one of Akira Yamaoka’s best work imo.
Okay, word. When I hear "harmony", I first think of vocal/musical note harmony (like root note + third + fifth to make a chord), but I think you're speaking to the amazing sound design/instrumentation choices Yamaoka is capable of, where all the sounds are distinct in the mix but also work together well to make a cohesive whole.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Okay, word. When I hear "harmony", I first think of vocal/musical note harmony (like root note + third + fifth to make a chord), but I think you're speaking to the amazing sound design/instrumentation choices Yamaoka is capable of, where all the sounds are distinct in the mix but also work together well to make a cohesive whole.
Exactly this. Thank you.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I've been hearing from people that the game is technically available to start playing tonight at midnight? Which makes no sense since steam says Oct 7 for the digital deluxe I pre ordered.

Is it truly tonight? I'll be over the moon if true.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I enjoyed their blair witch game for what it was. It was very solid looking with good atmosphere. I knew they had it in them to make a great title. Especially one that already had a blueprint. Silent hill 2 is one of my favorites but it's definitely showing it's age. I can't wait to relplay it with HDR, ultrawide, high frame rate etc.

Last edited:

keefged4

Any word on the Dualsense's haptic feedback and triggers on the PC version? I've got it pre-ordered on Steam but will consider double dipping if they are absent from the PC release

REMAINSILLY

This would only be true if their games so far were total turds, but it's objectively not true. 7/10 is GOOD.

L5Js1x9.jpeg
jxy31Y0.jpeg
xFvSNmT.jpeg
K2y4Si2.jpeg

Now they just had more money available and this game is already based on 9/10 title. They just had to not fuck this up.

Insane how people see 7/10 and think to themselves, "oh, this game fuckin SUX". A 7 is the equivalent to like a C in school. And I don't know about y'all, but I was happy to see a C on my report card (I am very dumb).

Kacho

Gold Member
I've been hearing from people that the game is technically available to start playing tonight at midnight? Which makes no sense since steam says Oct 7 for the digital deluxe I pre ordered.

Is it truly tonight? I'll be over the moon if true.
I read that it unlocks at 1am New York time tonight.

Edder1

Nah, you will never find him being upset about xbox or nintendo. He is also shilling pretty hard for microsoft on that purple asylum forum. So no it's not about consoles.
Dude, stop it. There are many examples of him and the rest of DF crew being highly critical of Xbox graphics. Maybe you and others like you with this narrative don't watch DF videos when it comes to Xbox, but it's ludicrous to claim they haven't been critical of Xbox games. Playstation is just more under spotlight because of Sony always pushing console hardware and having the reputation of being industry leaders when it comes to graphics on consoles. There's also the fact that compared to Xbox Playstation have had way more output on consoles, especially those games that are console specific. As for Nintendo, nobody is gonna be too critical of mobile hardware from a decade ago.

Last edited:
Insane how people see 7/10 and think to themselves, "oh, this game fuckin SUX". A 7 is the equivalent to like a C in school. And I don't know about y'all, but I was happy to see a C on my report card (I am very dumb).
Well, the 7/70 equals C is actually what screws people up, since a C means average. Passing, yes, but not exactly good. It's in elevated scale because they don't want students passing by just getting 5/10 correct.

Scores for games are more nuanced then that and use the whole scale, so 5 would be an average game. 6 is slightly above average. 7 is good. 8 is very good/great. 9 is exceptional. And 10 is perfect.

ZoukGalaxy

I'm actually impressed by the metacritic score and overall reception.
High Five Cat GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

My only critic from I have seen is that I deeply regret that some redone scene are terribly bright, the original game is so dark and "dirty", that was one the thing I loved so much: this permanent darkness all around you which make you feel so inconfortable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom